Windows 1709 update

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think... (18 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

If this unti-cheat ends up to be great and work as it should, should WG implement it?

1. Yes. So long it doesn't affect visual and sound mods (10 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. No. Let it as it is, the report system and the support work fine to prevent cheaters (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. What if the servers empty because the majority are bot users? (5 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

If this actually work, do you think WG would use it even if it's going to hurt their sales from the cheaters?

1. Yes. I trust WG to make the right choice for a better game experience. (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. No. WG doesn't really care, so it doesn't mater. (5 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

3. HA! You must have a brain damage to think WG would choose to lose money. (10 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote Hide poll

Sergeant_Antaro_Chronus #1 Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 13249 battles
  • [EL-G] EL-G

So in late September early October Microsoft should release the 1709 update. You may say; ​Good, why should I care? 

In the notes, you see the TruePlay. ​Before that name, they were calling it GameMonitor.

Basically it's an anti-cheat software that's build-in the operating system. This is going to be a feature that you can set on or off in the settings and some games may require it to be on in order to start them. ​

You may think; ​So what, it's not like it can change anything. ​We know that some cheats bypass the game's ability to detect them, ie: mods, the game it self may not be able to detect a cheating program but if the OS can check it's going to a lot harder to cheat. In the case of WoT, you can't "easily" (unless you have tons of money to get a few super computers) run cheats like wall hacks or speed hacks, but you can run aim bots, bots in general to grind exp, that stupid mod that show where trees and other destructible objects have fallen if you run over them and pin your location, laser pointers that show where a player aims, e.t.c. The game nor the server can know if there are any bots and who is a bot or if a player can see what tree fell.

WG can use that free tool from MS since they don't seem to care that much about cheaters, they can simply add a list of the mods that offer aim bots and other unfair advantages and should these are detected, the operating system can force the game to close or not launch at all.

So since that unti-cheat is pretty much given ready, should WG implement that and force people to have that setting on in order to launch the game?

Deep_Convection #2 Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1183 battles

Poll is biased.  WG already bans thousands of cheaters through their cheat detection system.  I'm sure this costs them money initially, but not in the long run.

If an operating system can help get rid of cheaters, they should take advantage of this.  Cheaters are unwelcome here.

Edited by Deep_Convection, 19 August 2017 - 11:32 PM.

Enforcer1975 #3 Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:33 PM

General

• Player
  • 18400 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
If they actually decide to use it.
Having the os refuse to launch the game when it detects data that are deemed inappropriate by WG would be a start. No need for bans IF the lock works. 

Edited by Enforcer1975, 19 August 2017 - 11:35 PM.

Balc0ra #4 Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62806 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

And it's gonna take 5 min before a tool is released that fools the OS to think everything is fine in 9 out 10 games it supports I'll bet.

If it was that easy, they could have made their client to scan it to I reckon. But it might be a bigger issue then you think. As most legal and banned mods share the same number of files and file names. So setting them apart by scanning alone is not as easy I suspect for all mods, unless they know what to look for inside them. Some ofc stands out like a sore thumb. So depending how "basic" it is. It might give to many false positives to be effective. Considering how many make their own mods they don't even share etc. As I have done even.

Edited by Balc0ra, 20 August 2017 - 12:11 AM.

Ulicum #5 Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39538 battles
  • [3VS27] 3VS27

Yeah sure, computer company makes bullet proof system to prevent some programs running....

Juuuust like anti-virus programs prevent all viruses and we are now living in computer virus free world....

:harp:

qpranger #6 Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 30715 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Whatever, as long as I can still play on Windows 8. 

Hyster #7 Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27434 battles
  • [T-S_K] T-S_K

u must be really new to gaming if u think ANY anti-cheat measures can not be bypassed.

all they do is make it more difficult for the cheat makers but they will always bypass it.

u will have more luck WG removing gold shells from the game.

if u knew anything about cheats u would know WG's way is the best way to deal with cheats, no1 knows what anti cheat system they are using so u can not create a work around.

MS version will be ripped about line by line and bypass's will be common place.

qpranger #8 Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:01 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 30715 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHyster, on 20 August 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

if u knew anything about cheats u would know WG's way is the best way to deal with cheats, no1 knows what anti cheat system they are using...

I don't think WG even know themselves if they use any at all :)

Phobos4321 #9 Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:50 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42818 battles

dont want to be a guinea pig for something that might work or kill the games it should protect 

if it proved its usefullness for lets say at least half a year up to 1 year without major problem wg should think about it

also the whole  cheater topic for wot if far to inflated. 

compared to other games there are

no headshots --> ammoracks on every shot

no differnt speed

no invisibiltiy

no modified RoF

no modified damage

no modified armor

most stuff mods would add are interface extensions

i played games where cheats/cheaters had a major impact wot is non of them

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26618 battles
Cool, I'll be looking forward to the day the MS anti cheat code false positives a WG micropatch and the entire EU server gets account-banned. Inb4 the lulz.

jabster #11 Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostUlicum, on 19 August 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

Yeah sure, computer company makes bullet proof system to prevent some programs running....

Juuuust like anti-virus programs prevent all viruses and we are now living in computer virus free world....

:harp:

True but it doesn't need to be perfect, instead just make it more trouble than it's worth for a number of players.

RamRaid90 #12 Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 19683 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjabster, on 20 August 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

True but it doesn't need to be perfect, instead just make it more trouble than it's worth for a number of players.

I think that not knowing how WG are detecting people cheating (they obviously can since they keep posting ban waves) makes it hard enough for people to cheat as is.

At the end of the day, cheaters ALWAYS find a way in. Thats why cheating still exists.

Lets be realistic. People who cheat are not bothered about being caught, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Just like people who complain about rigged rng and cheaters are not bothered if they're wrong. They will still complain.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I actually thought someone was cheating, let alone that I was convinced they were.

As has already been pointed out, within a few weeks there will be a patch to bypass the MS anti-cheat. Just as all known anti-cheat software has a bypass. Punk-buster which is still in use is well known for being useless.

The reason WG still catch cheaters is because nobody knows WHAT they're trying to get around.

Edited by RamRaid90, 20 August 2017 - 08:30 AM.

Kartoshkaya #13 Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20905 battles
Anti cheats program are crap. You can find countless games under gameguards wich are full of bots and cheaters.In the end it always ends up to be a pain in the [edited]for the legit users. So i'd rather say no because the only good anti cheat system is a built-in system into the game itself.

SABAOTH #14 Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

Major

• Player
  • 36377 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostSergeant_Antaro_Chronus, on 19 August 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

So in late September early October Microsoft should release the 1709 update. You may say; ​Good, why should I care? 

In the notes, you see the TruePlay. ​Before that name, they were calling it GameMonitor.

Basically it's an anti-cheat software that's build-in the operating system. This is going to be a feature that you can set on or off in the settings and some games may require it to be on in order to start them. ​

You may think; ​So what, it's not like it can change anything. ​We know that some cheats bypass the game's ability to detect them, ie: mods, the game it self may not be able to detect a cheating program but if the OS can check it's going to a lot harder to cheat. In the case of WoT, you can't "easily" (unless you have tons of money to get a few super computers) run cheats like wall hacks or speed hacks, but you can run aim bots, bots in general to grind exp, that stupid mod that show where trees and other destructible objects have fallen if you run over them and pin your location, laser pointers that show where a player aims, e.t.c. The game nor the server can know if there are any bots and who is a bot or if a player can see what tree fell.

WG can use that free tool from MS since they don't seem to care that much about cheaters, they can simply add a list of the mods that offer aim bots and other unfair advantages and should these are detected, the operating system can force the game to close or not launch at all.

So since that unti-cheat is pretty much given ready, should WG implement that and force people to have that setting on in order to launch the game?

I see two huge problems:

• You have a lot of faith in Microsoft
  • You have a lot of faith in WG

Not to mention few minor things like:

• Microsoft telemetry bs is used for spam and data mining, privacy violation is rather disgusting, so no surprise that people turn off this crap or use programs to neutralize "windows spyware 10"
  • Microsoft skills are stronk. That's why a lot of people run cracked windows.
  • You know the world is not Windows? There is not a single OS.
  • You know you don't need Windows 10 to run WoT? Shall we ban everyone who does not want a spyware OS?
  • Seriously you think there is no work around on this crap? I bet internet has already a "cure" knowing Microsoft works :teethhappy:
  • Who said anyone wants to have third party interfering with their purchases, payments and products? Do you really like this kind of intrusion so much? :facepalm:

Let WG take care of cheaters, they ensured us they removed all the cheaters from WoT, don't keep your hopes up in Microsoft to fix this game, because they cannot fix even their own products. :coin:

ApocalypseSquad #15 Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26142 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 August 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

And it's gonna take 5 min before a tool is released that fools the OS to think everything is fine in 9 out 10 games it supports I'll bet.

If it was that easy, they could have made their client to scan it to I reckon. But it might be a bigger issue then you think. As most legal and banned mods share the same number of files and file names. So setting them apart by scanning alone is not as easy I suspect for all mods, unless they know what to look for inside them. Some ofc stands out like a sore thumb. So depending how "basic" it is. It might give to many false positives to be effective. Considering how many make their own mods they don't even share etc. As I have done even.

View Postqpranger, on 20 August 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

Whatever, as long as I can still play on Windows 8.

The above posts summarise exactly why this will not work in practice.  Nice idea, but this is the real world...

Cobra6 #16 Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16295 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Why the hell is Microsoft putting this crap into an OS. The only function of an OS should be the bridge between software and hardware, nothing more, nothing less.

Cobra 6

SABAOTH #17 Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

Major

• Player
  • 36377 battles
  • [-133-] -133-

View PostCobra6, on 20 August 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

Why the hell is Microsoft putting this crap into an OS. The only function of an OS should be the bridge between software and hardware, nothing more, nothing less.

Cobra 6

• Spyware
  • Spam you with crappy ads

That's the direction Microsoft took with windows 10.

After all Bill named the company after his...

Nishi_Kinuyo #18 Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 6977 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Think OP forgot to mention it is for Windows 10 only, at which point I stopped caring.

Also, OP forgot to include links to trustworthy websites actually explaining it.

Saboath

After all Bill named the company after his...

And Bill Gates is still better than that krebs Steve Jobs ever was.

Alabamatick #19 Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 31849 battles
And on what versions of windows is this update on ?, (win 10 i presume) some most playerers still use potato windows you know

Jethro_Grey #20 Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4280 battles
  • [KAIN] KAIN
I'll stick with Win7 and i decide which update gets installed and which not. Screw cheats and screw anti-cheat crap as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users