Lag spikes are making this game unplayable

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

WildTimi123 #1 Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4454 battles

I just don't understand. I'm playing with the same ping (70-85)ms games like: overwatch, gta v, bf4.

In this game its impossible/ The tanks is slowly responding or not respond. the turret is going crazy. Instead of shooting straight its suddenly turns 90 deg to the left or right. I'm playing playing this game for past year and a half but I never encountered problems like this. Its driving me insane I don't know what to do. Plz help

jack_timber #2 Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:55 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31214 battles

Mine was acting up last night, every control seemed to operated by rubber bands, press W key 1 second later it would start moving.

Ping was on the high side, some 90ms so was blaming lag etc. Then I noticed network cable was unplugged so I was playing over wifi.

Anyways plugged cable in ping back to around 30 plays fine again.

Do u use wi-fi, as I said WiFi connection is fine for everything else apart from WoT

jabster #3 Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostWildTimi123, on 21 August 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

I just don't understand. I'm playing with the same ping (70-85)ms games like: overwatch, gta v, bf4.

In this game its impossible/ The tanks is slowly responding or not respond. the turret is going crazy. Instead of shooting straight its suddenly turns 90 deg to the left or right. I'm playing playing this game for past year and a half but I never encountered problems like this. Its driving me insane I don't know what to do. Plz help

Take a look at this link for running pingplotter. Do that and post up a screenshot and other posters should be able to point to where the problem is.

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/kb/articles/50

MarcoStrapone #4 Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32564 battles
  • [-GODS] -GODS
and if you have prem account :facepalm:

Balc0ra #5 Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 62839 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostWildTimi123, on 21 August 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

Unlike GTA etc. This game is 100% server calculated. So your input is going from your PC, to the server and back again. If your ping is high, or there are other issues. You might notice a big input delay. Even more so if you experience spikes. Either try the other server. As EU1 has those for me now and then, even with the lower ping. But Eu2 is 100% fine for me at 35 to 45 ping. Eu1 gives me 25 to 35 ish. But has spikes now and then.

Might not be a bad idea to do a ping plotter trace on both servers and have then running for a few min. It can locate the spot where the connection goes nuts. Either on your end, at WG's end, or in the middle. Last one is usually the case. And is why EU1 gets them for me, as my ISP directs me to two different servers when it gets to Denmark. And the route EU1 takes spikes constantly. EU2 takes a different route, and the server in Denmark there has no issues when sending my signal towards WG and back.

Edited by Balc0ra, 21 August 2017 - 07:03 PM.

ExclamationMark #6 Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:03 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16679 battles
get new internet then

Mike_Mckay #7 Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

I've been having the same kind of problem, mouse pointer taking several seconds to catch up, direction controls also either sticking on or working several seconds after being pressed makes it impossible to play

closing and then reopening the game has cured it for the games where I didn't get killed before I could get back into the game (an auto log in would help there as the game seems like a beta release atm)

But then a few games later and it does it again

I even went and tried Elite dangerous which ran smooth as silk and didn't need to reboot the machine, only reload WOT. So its definitely game related rather than network, WAN or machine related

Maybe WOT were using the servers to count their hourly profits and it took so much processor power there wasn't enough left over to host the games? lol

Aikl #8 Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostMike_Mckay, on 22 August 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

(...)
closing and then reopening the game has cured it for the games where I didn't get killed before I could get back into the game (an auto log in would help there as the game seems like a beta release atm)

But then a few games later and it does it again

I even went and tried Elite dangerous which ran smooth as silk and didn't need to reboot the machine, only reload WOT. So its definitely game related rather than network, WAN or machine related
(...)

You should run Pingplotter for a few minutes to see where the problem actually is.
If restarting the game solves things for a few games you're most likely not looking at problems with the server. Sounds more like overheating or a memory leak (particular to WoT).

If it isn't a bug in the game, I'd bet on an overloaded node near you or the server. WoT is arguably quite prone to lag, which has to do with how it talks with the server. Games have different networking code - I remember how BF1942 was, and is, close to unplayable with over 100-120ms ping.

More details would help, but it isn't likely to be the server if only a select few of us are experiencing lag. No, the server is not without fault, but lag problems seem to be somewhat localized too - last time it was mainly effecting UK-based players (regardless of ISP), which might give you a clue.

View Postjabster, on 21 August 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Take a look at this link for running pingplotter. Do that and post up a screenshot and other posters should be able to point to where the problem is.

Well, it's the law of Jabster (?) that any thread containing lag complaints will have no details and no Pingplotter reports showing the actual problem - and if, it's almost always the router or ISP.

Mike_Mckay #9 Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16788 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostAikl, on 22 August 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

You should run Pingplotter for a few minutes to see where the problem actually is.
If restarting the game solves things for a few games you're most likely not looking at problems with the server. Sounds more like overheating or a memory leak (particular to WoT).

If it isn't a bug in the game, I'd bet on an overloaded node near you or the server. WoT is arguably quite prone to lag, which has to do with how it talks with the server. Games have different networking code - I remember how BF1942 was, and is, close to unplayable with over 100-120ms ping.

More details would help, but it isn't likely to be the server if only a select few of us are experiencing lag. No, the server is not without fault, but lag problems seem to be somewhat localized too - last time it was mainly effecting UK-based players (regardless of ISP), which might give you a clue.

Well, it's the law of Jabster (?) that any thread containing lag complaints will have no details and no Pingplotter reports showing the actual problem - and if, it's almost always the router or ISP.

Overheating or memory?

Which part of "didn't reboot the machine" was too complex for you to grasp exactly?

jabster #10 Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostMike_Mckay, on 22 August 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

Which part of "didn't reboot the machine" was too complex for you to grasp exactly?

I was going to post a link that talks about this problem but CBA to be honest.

Edited by jabster, 22 August 2017 - 08:07 AM.

Aikl #11 Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postjabster, on 22 August 2017 - 06:54 AM, said:

I was going to post a link that talks but this problem but CBA to be honest.

I came to about the same conclusion, and should've remembered that the law of Jabster also says:

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.​

Edited by Aikl, 22 August 2017 - 08:01 AM.

RSAGhost #12 Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 35192 battles
Hi guys i sometimes get the problem to my tank dont stop when i tell it to stop and delay in shots even if ping is good i restart game and its gone.The reason im actually posting here is i had ping issues and found out that my antivirus Avast was the problem their gaming mode added wot and kept on sending packets off some sort caused lagg so if you have Avast either uninstall it or disable the file system shield if you google Avast causing lagg you will find it cya

timbo241065 #13 Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6410 battles
Funny you all have the same problem that I've had the past two weeks. Ping is fine (31/40) but then I've had it shoot up to 200 in a split second and then the game goes slow or won't respond to keyboard/mouse input. Worse case is where the game says "connection lost" and then tries to start another instance of the game and then it crashes. Sometimes I may be able to get into task master and stop the WOT process manually .. other times I have to do a hard restart and get back into the game. I have lodged a ticket but as yet no reply. Does anybody know how to stop the game from trying to restart?

CmdRatScabies #14 Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35194 battles

Was bad yesterday with a lot of lag but seems to have been fixed today - Pingplotter showed an issue with the last hop to the server for EU1 & EU2.

Edit - Pingplotter is still showing issues today but they don't seem to be affecting the game as much for some reason.

Edited by CmdRatScabies, 22 August 2017 - 02:01 PM.

timbo241065 #15 Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6410 battles
I gave up with pingplotter as I could see loads of dropouts but both WOT support and Sky say that it "shouldn't effect the game .. yet when they happened I could see both the ping increase and the game slow .. 

jabster #16 Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View Posttimbo241065, on 22 August 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

I gave up with pingplotter as I could see loads of dropouts but both WOT support and Sky say that it "shouldn't effect the game .. yet when they happened I could see both the ping increase and the game slow .. 

Have a quick look at this as the results aren't always what people think they are. In particular what you looking for is packet loss following through on each hop.

https://www.pingplotter.com/manual/interpretgraphsexampleone.html

Kozzy #17 Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 38543 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View Postjabster, on 21 August 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Is pingplotter any use for diagnosing/fine tuning more local issues (From machine to ISP for example)?

jabster #18 Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostKozzy, on 22 August 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

Is pingplotter any use for diagnosing/fine tuning more local issues (From machine to ISP for example)?

Defintely yes. I'm certainly no expert on it but it's worth having a read of the tutorials just to see the common pitfalls in understanding the results. The big one is having large packet loss on one hop doesn't really matter unless all the subsequent hops also show it.

Fine tuning I'm not so sure about as besides your own router/PC what can you do?

Kozzy #19 Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 38543 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View Postjabster, on 22 August 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

Defintely yes. I'm certainly no expert on it but it's worth having a read of the tutorials just to see the common pitfalls in understanding the results. The big one is having large packet loss on one hop doesn't really matter unless all the subsequent hops also show it.

Fine tuning I'm not so sure about as besides your own router/PC what can you do?

I will take a peak for sure.  My connection is usually absolutely fine but sometimes (very rarely) it seems to go to crapfor a short amount of time and I would love a real quick way of working out if it was my machine/ISP/WoT server related.

When I was on Virgin (who were terrible for gaming) you could contact support with pingplotter style logging and they would do something to the line (apparently) and this would make things a lot better.

jabster #20 Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12516 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostKozzy, on 22 August 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

I will take a peak for sure.  My connection is usually absolutely fine but sometimes (very rarely) it seems to go to crapfor a short amount of time and I would love a real quick way of working out if it was my machine/ISP/WoT server related.

When I was on Virgin (who were terrible for gaming) you could contact support with pingplotter style logging and they would do something to the line (apparently) and this would make things a lot better.

Feel free to post some screenshots of the results as it's not entirely obvious what it's telling you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users