Need help on how to play TVP T50

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

GalmTwo #1 Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7415 battles
  • [F-A-D] F-A-D

I want to let you know that internet hasn't really provided me with useful info on how to play this tank. Or I couldn't understand them that much. If anyone can provide me with at least one bit of info on the playstyle I need for this machine, I will be very grateful.

Okay, I have a confession to make. I am probably a poor player in World of Tanks, in terms of average damage, average experience and such. By no means a tomato, but far from a competent/decent player. Now that that's out of the way, I had the most displeasure with my first, and the most regretful tank I managed to grind, the TVP T50/51. I am ashamed to admit, but I did completely skip the tier 7 (I heard that the tank was bad and didn't want to waste time on it, though looking back, I probably should've played that instead of the tank instead of the abomination at tier 8). Tier 8, played it for a while, didn't like it at all and wanted to skip it, so I did, after getting around 80k xp on it. Rest, free XP. Tier 9 was a blast though, struggling to have decent results in it. I liked it, and wanted, expected more from the tier 10 tank. Yikes, I made a really huge mistake.

When I first got the tank, it played wildly different from the Škoda T50 I got accustomed to. It probably had something to do with the spike in difficulty in regards to more tougher and more skilled opponents. I, never got to understand this machine. No matter the scenario, map or matchmaking, I would always find a way to make a mistake and ruin my playing experience altogether. Whenever we'd lose, I'd put the blame on myself most of the time, regardless of me being top tier or in a tier 11 battle. Since I have a tendency to nervously shake my hand during sniping, most of my shots miss. Either that, or RNG curves the shot in some "God knows where" place. When I am not sniping, I try to spot, with my solid viewrange which as expected ends in a disaster. I always get outspotted, by a pesky Batchat or a top tier light tank. It's probably my camo that's limiting the spotting runs, but even behind bushes at long ranges, the lightbulb keeps lighting up. Let me paint a picture for you, of a typical match that occurs roughly 80% of time I use the tank.

Match starts, decent matchup. Enemies get one heavy tank and two mediums, while we get two heavies and me in the TVP. Top tier, with a nice amount of tier 8 and 9 tanks on both teams. I go to a typical medium tank position, whilist the entire allied team goes lemming train on one side or just camps the base. I park up and let my gun aim. I get spotted from a distance, pull back and hide elsewhere. When I relocate, I put a few shots into an enemy tank, let's say two out of four in my clip. "Wasted shots, I should go slightly forward so my gun won't miss so much", I say to myself. I got further abit, hide in a ditch/behind a large object etc. and wait for enemies to reveal themselves so I can put shots in them. Then, out of nowhere, I get rushed by enemy mediums, heavies and get rained upon by enemy arty. "No worries, I'll pull back", I say to myself, trying to prepare myself for the inevitable. One shot in my tank, two shots, three shots, almost feels like every shot is from a Jagdpz E100, painful and unavoidable. Then my tank combusts, explodes, and stays a wreck for the rest of the battle, whilist my allies are the next ones to be eliminated. I, of course, being top tier, feel guilty for dying, thinking that the loss happened because of my sloppyness. 

Occasionally, I get a solid match, get a top gun, do 5k dmg and spot/track over 2k damage. Result average to many, but very good for me. Trust me, doing more than 1k damage in tier 8 or higher is like the best feeling I can have. I probably shouldn't parade that everywhere, it's kinda embarassing. Still, very rare occurance.

So here are my three battles I had recently, all poor battles with little action on my behalf. If you want, please tell me the problems I do so I can change.

http://wotreplays.co...dfed14d665f93a8

Edit: fixed the links for the replays

Right, crew skills, ammo loadout and equipment. 

Spoiler

The crew was originally trained on the tier 6 Škoda T40 tank, then transferred to tier 8 tank and later on onto the tier 9 and 10 tank. Standard equipment, vents, optics and gun laying drive. No food used, since I am kinda short on cash. Though I tried a few times before, it really isn't profitable (then again, who plays tier 10 to earn credits?).

Here are my stats on the tank, courtesy of Wotstats.org.

Spoiler

44% WR? Yep, I know. It was my fault, as I insisted to keep playing even after losing 15 times in a row with the tank (happened like a week ago). Silly me, now I can't get the WR up to even 45%. Thanks, me.

Last, and certainly not least, my MoE. 

Spoiler

Managed to somehow get my first MoE, then after that. Whoosh. Losing streak, bad matches and poor concentration. Dropped to 57%. Again, thanks, me.

Please help me, any person reading this post. Teach me the ways of becoming a good TVP player. Please don't say stuff like "git gud" or throw insults and other such nonsensical and childish profanities. Provide constructive criticism, personal experiences, anything. Help me overcome this obstacle that is the tier 10 Czech medium.

Edited by GalmTwo, 22 August 2017 - 09:22 AM.

cro001 #2 Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29529 battles
V.Stabs.

CoDiGGo #3 Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14997 battles
  • [NEUR0] NEUR0

For you I will recommend to play td role at beginning, and only go to med role after mid game. 

T50 is one of the best meds out there, but no noob friendly

Edited by CoDiGGo, 21 August 2017 - 10:13 PM.

clixor #4 Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51483 battles

I think most important part to remember is that TVP is and always will be a support tank. And same with like the batchat too much risk early on will likely some big td alpha in your [edited]. 

That said though, tvp is an excellent counter against lights, if you use your speed you can ambush and clip them, if you manage to take out a light in a tier10 game early on that's a huge advantage for your team. But i would only though such things on maps where you are really comfortable in making such a move.

XxKuzkina_MatxX #5 Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49628 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE
  • Go there...

http://wotreplays.co...loaded_at.desc/

• New folder...download and sort every replay by map and spawn (north, south...).
  • Dissect the game play by timing, positioning and target selection.
  • In your mind form your own combinations based on your abilities and expectations.

Do this long enough and your brain will start automatically generating the required play patterns. :)

P.S: If the enemy team (in the replay) is bad...skip.

Edited by XxKuzkina_MatxX, 21 August 2017 - 10:57 PM.

Warzey #6 Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 57073 battles

Replay links are not working.

Your crew skills seem ok, as for equipment you should drop gun laying drive and get vertical stabilizer.

TVP T50 is probably one of my least favorite medium tanks. First you need to figure out what is TVP good at and what it is bad at. Unfortunately TVP sucks at a lot of stuff, it has very low HP paired with fairly big hull and paper armor, this means that early game active spotting is out of the question. TVP has a 320 alpha gun which means that going to the "usual" medium spot and trading with enemy mediums is out of the question, even if it's a hull down fight against other paper mediums like amx 30b and leopard you still won't have a good trade (just for reference hitting a whole clip and receiving 2 shots in return is considered a bad trade especially early on). Clip damage of the TVP is also on the low side which means that in the early and mid game you probably won't have enough damage to finish off enemy tanks so you can't initiate a push and you can't "hold position" and wait for backup. 

When it comes to strong points, TVP is extremely strong at catching enemies off guard and punishing their mistakes. Basically you're looking for a target that's preoccupied with something else and you quickly empty your clip before he can even react, of course you need to pay attention if your target has any backup and you preferably don't want to take any return fire from the backup. Fortunately for you TVP has a very good mobility, decent gun depression and good gun handling, so you're fast enough to be at the right place and you're flexible enough to use all sorts of different positions. 

What it all boils down to is that TVP is an opportunistic sort of tank, you need to "read the situation" and predict when and where are friendlies/enemies going to push and of course position yourself accordingly. Other than this you generally want to play safe in early and mid game, you want to save as much HP as possible for the late game when you can actually start trading that HP and one clipping surviving enemy tanks. 

If you're struggling with certain maps it is a good idea to download some replays of people having good games on that particular map (you can do this by using filters on wotreplays).

SilentFear #7 Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:32 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 25359 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostWarzey, on 22 August 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

Replay links are not working.

Your crew skills seem ok, as for equipment you should drop gun laying drive and get vertical stabilizer.

TVP T50 is probably one of my least favorite medium tanks. First you need to figure out what is TVP good at and what it is bad at. Unfortunately TVP sucks at a lot of stuff, it has very low HP paired with fairly big hull and paper armor, this means that early game active spotting is out of the question. TVP has a 320 alpha gun which means that going to the "usual" medium spot and trading with enemy mediums is out of the question, even if it's a hull down fight against other paper mediums like amx 30b and leopard you still won't have a good trade (just for reference hitting a whole clip and receiving 2 shots in return is considered a bad trade especially early on). Clip damage of the TVP is also on the low side which means that in the early and mid game you probably won't have enough damage to finish off enemy tanks so you can't initiate a push and you can't "hold position" and wait for backup. 

When it comes to strong points, TVP is extremely strong at catching enemies off guard and punishing their mistakes. Basically you're looking for a target that's preoccupied with something else and you quickly empty your clip before he can even react, of course you need to pay attention if your target has any backup and you preferably don't want to take any return fire from the backup. Fortunately for you TVP has a very good mobility, decent gun depression and good gun handling, so you're fast enough to be at the right place and you're flexible enough to use all sorts of different positions. 

What it all boils down to is that TVP is an opportunistic sort of tank, you need to "read the situation" and predict when and where are friendlies/enemies going to push and of course position yourself accordingly. Other than this you generally want to play safe in early and mid game, you want to save as much HP as possible for the late game when you can actually start trading that HP and one clipping surviving enemy tanks. 

If you're struggling with certain maps it is a good idea to download some replays of people having good games on that particular map (you can do this by using filters on wotreplays).

All solid advises.

Just one or two things from me.

Carry some HEAT. The standart pen of the TVP aint that great - and tier 10 currently is chocke full of Type and Maus tanks. You will need the heat.

The gun handling is not bad at all on the tank - but the time between shells is lower then the time needed to fully re-aim after shot. So when possible give it half a sec more between shots to ensure full aim. 

Going on aggressive but safe position early on - especially if the enemy team dont have anything as fast as you - is not a bad plant. Keep an aye on the enemy team composition and think what could counter you.

All in all the TVP kinda suffer right now a bit. Its great tank - but the restrictive maps and the influx of heavy tanks sorta diminish its power a bit. 

_EXODUZ_ #8 Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:04 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34979 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

You didn't link your replays properly, but I searched for replays submitted by you.

http://wotreplays.eu...loaded_at.desc/

Which ones you want us to look at? The ones with decent damage done?

Anyways, have you watched stuff on Youtube? Like this for example? Anfield explains a lot of tactical decisions, etc.

Edited by _EXODUZ_, 22 August 2017 - 03:06 AM.

GalmTwo #9 Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7415 battles
  • [F-A-D] F-A-D

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 22 August 2017 - 03:04 AM, said:

You didn't link your replays properly, but I searched for replays submitted by you.

http://wotreplays.eu...loaded_at.desc/

Which ones you want us to look at? The ones with decent damage done?

Anyways, have you watched stuff on Youtube? Like this for example? Anfield explains a lot of tactical decisions, etc.

I fixed the links for the replays. They should work now.

Edited by GalmTwo, 22 August 2017 - 09:24 AM.

Aikl #10 Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25547 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostGalmTwo, on 22 August 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

(...)

Replays should still work if you quit early, just without the end results (obviously). They work if you use the 'Replay link' button and copy that instead of what's in the browser bar.

I'm not the right person to comment on T10 replays (especially as I don't have a TVP), but generally I don't think the top two replays actually show that much.

Doesn't look like you're doing much wrong, but both teams were arguably very good. On Mines you were on a somewhat useless flank, and shot at largely useless T8 tanks before your team had won the rest of the map.

Airfield was another very good team, with seemingly minimal resistance and TVP shining in the cleanup role. It was probably the right flank and position to go for, but unlucky that there wasn't many tanks bothering to go there (not really surprising, given the number of TDs in the game).

I mean, to me it seems like you're doing things the correct way, but it's hard to give much advice on games where you didn't do anything wrong, if you get my point. Start by finding a T10-only game, I guess?

SlyMeerkat #11 Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 16436 battles
  • [FILO] FILO
My way of doing things, is that i have one tank i grind at a time to elite before moving on to the next and so sooner or later that tank you are playing will start to gel with you in some way or another and you would be better perfomring in it too hopefully, thats my way of though anyway and so doing some reading on websites and watching videos about the said tank will also help give you a rough idea oh how to play it.

GalmTwo #12 Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7415 battles
  • [F-A-D] F-A-D

More replays.

http://wotreplays.eu...dfed14d665f93a8

And here is the one that I had a decent result in, if you're inclined to watch it.

Warzey #13 Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 57073 battles

View PostGalmTwo, on 22 August 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

More replays.

And here is the one that I had a decent result in, if you're inclined to watch it.

Ok, I've watched all the replays you provided. Let's get some general stuff out of the way first, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUT ON AN AUTOMATIC FIRE EXTINGUISHER, also you should carry more HEAT ammo, I'd say at least 16 shells. The thing with TVP is that standard penetration is on the low end which doesn't really matter when you're shooting side of the enemy tank at close range, but it's going to screw you a lot when you're trying to snipe front of a T9/T10 heavy at long range, on top of that APCR loses the most penetration over distance and it receives less normalization than AP shells.

Now on to the replays.

In the Live Oaks replay you were kind of screwed to begin with, enemy had more tanks and better positions plus as I said tvp sucks at trading shots. What I want you to pay attention to is the batchat that managed to clip you, see how he managed to get undetected to the right side there and he was waiting for you guys to peek half way around the corner (that way it takes you a long time to drive back) so he can pop out and clip you, that is the exact thing you want to be doing in TVP

In the Arctic Region replay you made a mistake of trying to hold that "standard medium spot" on your own. As I said in my previous comment you absolutely can't hold a position and wait for friendlies to help you, you will simply died as soon as you empty your clip. 

In the Steppes replay you're obviously trying trade shots early on. You really need to avoid doing that, even if you manage to score some hits it's usually not worth the HP you lost. Again we have an example of a decent TVP play, that guy that killed, he was undetected and you were very much spotted plus you were paying attention to other enemy tanks so he used that opportunity to wreck your face. Unfortunately he also ended up dying because he had no support or an escape plan, but better focus on what he did good.

Not much to say about Pilsen replay, it was overall a shitty game. Your heavies and TDs played badly, and you guys in mediums manage to stuck yourselves in a position where you can't do anything and you can't retreat.

There's noting very important to say about first Serene Coast replay. Again enemies manage to chip away at your HP early on which is bad. Also you kind of failed to retreat in time. Basically on Serene Coast if you let your enemies take the hill on the left side for free you must also abandon whole area left of the rails and for some sort of defense around the cap.

As far as your good replay goes, you made some good decisions there, for example abandoning the right side after you saw heavies is a good call, you didn't lose HP while taking pot shots at the enemies which is also nice, and it was a good call to take out those two ST-1s once you saw that they had low HP and no support, from that point on the rest is pretty much the cleanup.

GalmTwo #14 Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7415 battles
  • [F-A-D] F-A-D
Thanks for the good tips Warzey, I will try to play like you suggested :)

Pedro79 #15 Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28523 battles

View PostGalmTwo, on 21 August 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

Here are my stats on the tank, courtesy of Wotstats.org.

I am far from great with this tank but one thing is sure. This tank is wonderful even with crap crew. I started to play it with 75% crew (bcoz i kept the T9 skoda and its crew in it) now they are at around 85% at first skill.

And here is my stats with it:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users