{Help}AMX FOCH (tier 9)

Foch

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Snatch_The_AmmoRacks #1 Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:47 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27978 battles

Bought this tank with free xp, no crew ofc, because i decided to get the 155 before it was removed. But I'm SERIOUSLY struggling. tank feels pathetic with no strong points what so ever. Not fast, derpy gun, armour mitigated by shoot me here bar. Any seasoned players with  few words of advice on equipment and play style please say before I break my keyboard.

Edit:Tracks bought and crew are on first skill. tank feels so much more agile with tracks. Still can't decide how to play a tank. I keep mix and matching between aggressive and mid range support.

Edited by JuicyProduction, 24 August 2017 - 05:20 AM.

uglycousin #2 Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:48 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 43179 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

I think you have less than a week to grind your way to Foch 155. Not going to be easy.

I played my tier 9 Foch more like an up close and personal brawler. I rarely had good games when I sat back and sniped. Because I aimed, aimed, aimed, fired, missed. :|

The armor rarely works because everyone is shooting your weakspots. But wiggling a lot might throw them off a bit.

I finished my grind with a 55% winrate on the tier 9. So, my strategy kinda worked for me. Good luck, whatever you do you will be in a world of pain. :honoring:

NervosCuNervii #3 Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21833 battles
  • [D57T] D57T

Well, it is called the worst grind in WoT for a reason, hence the buffs it will get next patch. :P

Right of the bat, your crew sucks for tier 9. I played this tank with a 4 skill crew and it was barely usable but still rage inducing at times.

I went with Gun Rammer, Optics and Gun laying drive on it, playing it like a battering ram. Don't try to snipe, as your 257 pen, poor dispersion and pen drop off at range means you'll ding a lot.
Try it like I did, go and support the mediums/heavies and blast people in the face every 7.5 seconds for 400. You beat the reload times of many tanks at that tier so trading is a viable option. With so few crew skills, you cannot wiggle yet but try it anyway. The "Police bar" has a damage collision box only in the center. Hits to the extremities do not damage the tank and being offset to the right (when enemy looks at it) makes shell dodging not that hard.

Anyway, I recommend reading this topic: http://forum.worldof...e-free-premium/

Snatch_The_AmmoRacks #4 Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27978 battles

View Postuglycousin, on 24 August 2017 - 04:48 AM, said:

I think you have less than a week to grind your way to Foch 155. Not going to be easy.

I played my tier 9 Foch more like an up close and personal brawler. I rarely had good games when I sat back and sniped. Because I aimed, aimed, aimed, fired, missed. :|

The armor rarely works because everyone is shooting your weakspots. But wiggling a lot might throw them off a bit.

I finished my grind with a 55% winrate on the tier 9. So, my strategy kinda worked for me. Good luck, whatever you do you will be in a world of pain. :honoring:

Thanks for the advice. Luckily I have the luxury of only working part time and choosing my hours. I also have reserves on full blast. I've always really wanted the the foch 155 from when I started playing jsut never was much of a td player until I started loving the strv. I'll sweat it out cause I'm not letting WG snatch this tank.

View PostNervosCuNervii, on 24 August 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:

Well, it is called the worst grind in WoT for a reason, hence the buffs it will get next patch. :P

Right of the bat, your crew sucks for tier 9. I played this tank with a 4 skill crew and it was barely usable but still rage inducing at times.

I went with Gun Rammer, Optics and Gun laying drive on it, playing it like a battering ram. Don't try to snipe, as your 257 pen, poor dispersion and pen drop off at range means you'll ding a lot.
Try it like I did, go and support the mediums/heavies and blast people in the face every 7.5 seconds for 400. You beat the reload times of many tanks at that tier so trading is a viable option. With so few crew skills, you cannot wiggle yet but try it anyway. The "Police bar" has a damage collision box only in the center. Hits to the extremities do not damage the tank and being offset to the right (when enemy looks at it) makes shell dodging not that hard.

Thanks for the advice. Im starting to feel a semi aggressive play style is best fit. Just need to drag my stats back up for it now cause they're a nice amber red atm :child:

uglycousin #5 Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 43179 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

Forgot to say what equipment I used:

Gun rammer, binoculars and camo net ( yea, cuz I wast thinking I might do some sniping every now and then, and because I needed to save credits for the tier 10)

My crew barely got 1st skill and managed to get to second skill during this grind. 

Forget about the stats, it is a turd of a TD right now. You just try to find some fun while playing it. And remember that patch 9.20 is just around the corner, due sometimes next week.

And don't play swedish TDs during this grind. It will only annoy you to get back to the awful gun handling and gun ark on the Foch, and not being able to work ridges... and you know, stuff like that. :)

Asghaad #6 Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 13273 battles
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ

View PostNervosCuNervii, on 24 August 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

... The "Police bar" has a damage collision box only in the center. Hits to the extremities do not damage the tank and being offset to the right (when enemy looks at it) makes shell dodging not that hard.

except people can still miss that bar or pen its no-collision parts and still overmatch your 30mm roof ...

meaning that any tank that is higher than you = everything except lights and other TDs, will pen the Foch easily. That was the nerf that made both Fochs useless because with sides overmatchable by russian 122mm guns and roof overmatchable by even 100mm guns it became XP piniata. And then there is a little problem of heatspam at higher tiers making armor on Foch absolutely pointless.

PS: patch should launch next Wednesday at the latest and he has to have Foch155 not only unlocked but in garage. Considering the grind is 290k XP he will need aprox 300 battles to grind it out which means 300*8 minutes = 40 HOURS  in 4-6 days ... id reccomend going full gold spam and using reserves otherwise it will be impossible to finish the grind in time

250swb #7 Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21699 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Luckily QB has just released a recording of a player doing quite well in the tier 9 Foch

https://youtu.be/Z-n4mB_NNHg

p.s. and no, it isn't a camp fest

Edited by 250swb, 24 August 2017 - 08:04 AM.

NervosCuNervii #8 Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21833 battles
  • [D57T] D57T

View PostAsghaad, on 24 August 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

except people can still miss that bar or pen its no-collision parts and still overmatch your 30mm roof ...

meaning that any tank that is higher than you = everything except lights and other TDs, will pen the Foch easily.

I think you remember Foch as being a pancake but it's actually taller than some heavies. The roof overmatch happens more often at range as the shells hit the tank with a gun arc and even if they miss the weakspot they'll overmatch the roof.

Geno1isme #9 Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 41469 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

Biggest problem is the potato gun that just can't hit anything more than 50m away reliably. And lacking both Alpha and DPM combined with the "shoot me here" armor it's difficult to bully any equal-tier tanks. Only good aspect is the mobility, but that's not enough to save it.

Luckily only 70k left so should be able to finish it this weekend.

Snatch_The_AmmoRacks #10 Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27978 battles

Well after 166 battles, 56% WR and only 1.9k average damage (I got so damn bored of playing the same tank I eventually just spammed the battle button) I have to say I really liked the Foch as an assault tank. It would have been so much more enjoyable if it was like the old days where only the box behind the bard was the actual hit box (would makes sense to seeing as that's where the commanders head would be *derp*)

None the less here's the thing I grinded out for with it's fitting inscription ;) Time to 3 mark it.

Now the next best grind in game. the British heavies. This time I don't even have the luxury of free xp to tier 9 :(

When's patch 9.21 dropping?

W0Z #11 Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51236 battles

I quite enjoyed this tank and managed to grind the 290k exp needed for the 155 without researching the upgraded engine or tracks.

At one point my W/R was up the 52% but it droppped to 47% for the last 100k. As I got closer to 290k I started taking more risks and getting closer to the reds.

My crew had BIA and camo (6th sense on the commander) which meant I had to carry a tool box and even then once I was tracked I seemed to stay tracked.

The thing I hated most about this TD was the Troll gun. You could be sit still for a minute and it'll still miss a target 10m away.

Edited by W0Z, 26 August 2017 - 11:22 AM.

Schepel #12 Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57334 battles

Free xp it.

W0Z #13 Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 51236 battles

View PostJuicyProduction, on 26 August 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

Someone said 29th August on the RU server.

Snatch_The_AmmoRacks #14 Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27978 battles

View PostW0Z, on 26 August 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

I quite enjoyed this tank and managed to grind the 290k exp needed for the 155 without researching the upgraded engine or tracks.

At one point my W/R was up the 52% but it droppped to 47% for the last 100k. As I got closer to 290k I started taking more risks and getting closer to the reds.

My crew had BIA and camo (6th sense on the commander) which meant I had to carry a tool box and even then once I was tracked I seemed to stay tracked.

The thing I hated most about this TD was the Troll gun. You could be sit still for a minute and it'll still miss a target 10m away.

Same story with me. Although gun ain't trolling me from 15m all that often. In fact I seem to have luck of the Irish with my snapshots and firing whilst charging the bobs on the enemy team. The tracks make a world of difference though I honestly think you missed out on that.

View PostW0Z, on 26 August 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

And that's patch 9.20 which is (officially, apparently) due 30th this month. patch 9.21 is the one where the 215b is being replaced and comes after. I'll just see if google gives an answer.

Snatch_The_AmmoRacks #15 Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27978 battles

View Postuglycousin, on 24 August 2017 - 04:48 AM, said:

Btw thanks for the advice. I stuck with my equipment but the assualt/aggressive play came in useful.

Spurtung #16 Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 61583 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostW0Z, on 26 August 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

View PostJuicyProduction, on 26 August 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

That's 9.20. He's asking about the one after that, so he can work on the Brit HTs.

CptBarney #17 Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 18996 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
well im f'ed since im still on the amx ac 48. might have to free exp since i won't get the foch 155 on time at this rate.

Snatch_The_AmmoRacks #18 Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 27978 battles

View PostCptBarney, on 26 August 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

well im f'ed since im still on the amx ac 48. might have to free exp since i won't get the foch 155 on time at this rate.

Well if credits arn't and issue you could try to grind a bunch of the foch out with boosters. If you havn't got a bunch of credits saved then I would just free xp to the 155 whilst you still can. I don't know if it's just because it's my first 750+ alpha tank but I do really enjoy it despite what people have said about it. Armour is quite bad with obvious spots but you can have fun. Hopefully side armour buff will improve it. It is quite dam difficult to play in the sense you gotta plan your exit route for your reload every where you go.

Also tagged with Foch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users