Do we need/want "paper tigers" in the game?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

_PanzerBitterbal_ #1 Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8787 battles
  • [1-DAB] 1-DAB

I started playing back in 2013 and went off line for a few years to come back this year.

At first glance of the new introduced Chinese TD line you might get exited.

I am not.

That Chinese TD line, just like allot of tanks that came into the game, are "paper tigers".

Tanks that where never build or where given to a country. In the last case they where used for testing and trials and then disregarded.

Then why do we see such a pollution of "paper tigers" in the game. It serves no purpose.

Management sings hallelujah when introducing them. Wishful thinking I guess with a strong thought on there wallets.

If a tank has been build as a prototype but not used for production I can see the point of introducing it. Lets test it for ourselves.

How ever, if it ONLY EXISTED ON PAPER I really do not see any reason for such a tank because any stat's are imaginative.

There cooked up bases on assumptions and discussions without ever been tested on a real life model, as in that prototype.

Guess its a money thing to keep pushing stuff in to the game like the Chinese TD line that for over 75% is a paper tiger.

Personally I would like to see all such tanks removed.

Aikl #2 Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26118 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Muh historical accuracy...

On my phone, but the above sums up what I'd write in an extensive verbal serving. WoT is not historically accurate. Not by a long shot. Go play War Thunder if you don't want paper tanks (they draw the line at prototypes).

That aside, it's not that much difference between arguably realistic-looking Chinese TDs and what Krupp's designers drew on napkins while they had a gun to their head.

Oh, and this is a game, ANY implementation of a tank is anything but realistic. You have hitpoints and an aiming circle. Give me a break.

Edited by Aikl, 01 September 2017 - 05:22 PM.

lord_chipmonk #3 Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34523 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
Because WG want to release more content and eventually they run out of real tanks, unless you want 57 different varieties of T34 a la War Thunder. To be fair, WG weren't originally going to release outside China, they only did so because players complained about not having them.  

Balc0ra #4 Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67496 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
So basically... you just want... 100 tanks in this game. Not 380. Then again you don't get the point of WOT then. It's not a tank sim. Or a historical sim. It's more of a "what if" kind of game. What if the Germans did not lose in 45? How would their new machines if completed fair vs the top Allied tanks atm etc. What if the Russians did use the 263 vs a Maus? As that's what this is. As the 263 like most tanks in the game. Were not paper Tigers... But wooden Tigers to. So they were technically built... kinda.

Edited by Balc0ra, 01 September 2017 - 05:28 PM.

jack_timber #5 Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34599 battles

If WoT were a simulator I would agree with your statement but it ain't it's a game played for fun.

Therefore anything goes, remember a whiles back there was flying suitcases you could call up to reign destruction on the reds.....

Nishi_Kinuyo #6 Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7891 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostMulroin, on 01 September 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

I started playing back in 2013 and went off line for a few years to come back this year.

I am not.

That Chinese TD line, just like allot of tanks that came into the game, are "paper tigers".

Tanks that where never build or where given to a country. In the last case they where used for testing and trials and then disregarded.

Then why do we see such a pollution of "paper tigers" in the game. It serves no purpose.

Management sings hallelujah when introducing them. Wishful thinking I guess with a strong thought on there wallets.

If a tank has been build as a prototype but not used for production I can see the point of introducing it. Lets test it for ourselves.

How ever, if it ONLY EXISTED ON PAPER I really do not see any reason for such a tank because any stat's are imaginative.

There cooked up bases on assumptions and discussions without ever been tested on a real life model, as in that prototype.

Guess its a money thing to keep pushing stuff in to the game like the Chinese TD line that for over 75% is a paper tiger.

Just one fault with your reasoning: the Chinese TDs never existed at all; not even on paper.

They were made for the Chinese server run by Kongzhong, were designed by Kongzhong, and the Rashan server got a poll asking if they wanted the tanks too, and the majority said yes.

And most of the EU server swallows that while objecting to Japanese tanks that were actually built like the O-I and the Type 2604 Heavy.

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 01 September 2017 - 05:33 PM.

lord_chipmonk #7 Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34523 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 01 September 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Just one fault with your reasoning: the Chinese TDs never existed at all; not even on paper.

They were made for the Chinese server run by Kongzhong, were designed by Kongzhong, and the Rashan server got a poll asking if they wanted the tanks too, and the majority said yes.

And most of the EU server swallows that while objecting to Japanese tanks that were actually built like the O-I and the Type 2604 Heavy.

For me, whether they existed or not is kinda irrelevant. I mean, I object to this monstrosity, and it was a legit design!

At least the Chinese TDs look plausable, the Japanese heavies (and E100 and Maus for that matter) not so much. 

Chopchopchop #8 Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 52152 battles
  • [IDI0T] IDI0T

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 01 September 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

At least the Chinese TDs look plausable, the Japanese heavies (and E100 and Maus for that matter) not so much. 

If I am not wrong....there was a Maus....not just plausible!!

lord_chipmonk #9 Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34523 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostChopchopchop, on 01 September 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

It was physically built, but would never have been able to be implemented as it was just too heavy. Bridges couldn't support its weight and if there was any rain it would have been bogged down in no time. I find the fact that such tanks are able to traverse a map far more immersion breaking than a couple of tanks that didn't exist but look as though if they had existed, they could at least have functioned reasonably. 

HassenderZerhacker #10 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 27889 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

View PostMulroin, on 01 September 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

I beg to differ, WG wants to line their wallets by introducing them. that is their only purpose.

Edited by HassenderZerhacker, 01 September 2017 - 07:36 PM.

lord_chipmonk #11 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34523 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostHassenderZerhacker, on 01 September 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

I beg to differ, WG wants to line their wallets by introducing them. that is their only purpose.

Well, they are a company. Their remit is hardly to feed the starving children of Africa. 

Bordhaw #12 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12124 battles

View PostMulroin, on 01 September 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

I am not.

The Chinese part of WG is a different entity and run by different people in a very different way to the rest of WG. They designed and implemented these tanks for their Chinese players. But apparently "we" demanded these tanks and now "we" have them too. 

cmgamesro #13 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 12599 battles
  • [RO-SR] RO-SR
from tier 8 they look ugly af, that's why i only grind the line for tier 6 and 7.

malachi6 #14 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 50497 battles
Basically, you want a game with 40 tanks.  That does not incentivise people to continue playing, grinding and spending?  Single player games can cope with one or 2 tanks.  Games like WOT need to add lines and countries to keep people and to draw in more.  It is after all a business.

Nishi_Kinuyo #15 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 7891 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View Postmalachi6, on 01 September 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

Basically, you want a game with 40 tanks.  That does not incentivise people to continue playing, grinding and spending?  Single player games can cope with one or 2 tanks.

A game like War Thunder, basically? :girl:

Chop³

And an E-100 hull, and an O-I, and a Type 2604...

lord_chipmonk #16 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34523 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 01 September 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

And an E-100 hull, and an O-I, and a Type 2604...

Yep, still looks wrong though to me. 

Chopchopchop #17 Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 52152 battles
  • [IDI0T] IDI0T

Back to topic ....

This is still a free game. Paper tanks or not, players use them in game, pay for them in game. No matter what some say, as long as they sell well, the need and want to players wish the only mean nothing to the rest.

Yes, you can say them tanks never were build, but this game was never about WW2 tanks. Your chose can be more simple. You can pick to play the ones that was there, or find a game that is WW2 sim.

I am Chinese, so I know Chinese gamers more likely want that "what if", and it seems to me it is more then just the Chinese gamers want that too. 

Edited by Chopchopchop, 02 September 2017 - 08:25 AM.

zengaze #18 Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17384 battles
  • [BOF] BOF

I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

There are no tanks in this game..........SHOCKER! You're onscreen avatar is the shape of tanky type things but that's about as close as you're going to get. It's an arcade shooter. The Tanks could be cars or boats or puppys shooting rainbows out of their asses and bouncing enemy rainbows, it would be exactly the same game under the hood. You do relise that playing this game gives you zero idea about actual tanks or how they perform? don't you?

ForceGhost #19 Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:39 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 23616 battles

View PostChopchopchop, on 01 September 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

Back to topic ....

This is still a free game. Paper tanks or not, players use them in game, pay for them in game. No matter what some say, as long as they sell well, the need and want to players wish the only mean nothing to the rest.

Yes, you can say them tanks never were build, but this game was never about WW2 tanks. Your chose can be more simple. You can pick to play the ones that was there, or find a game that is WW2 sim.

I am Chinese, so I know Chinese gamer more likely want that "what if", and it seems to me it is more then just the Chinese games want that too. 

Well said.

Some folks might even play because of the chance to drive "What-if"  tanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users