I returned to a rain of gold ammo

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Misago #1 Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17352 battles

So, I returned to this game after about two years of absence. I wanted to see what was new and if a game I had invested a lot of time into was worth giving another go for a while.

The first thing I noticed is that aiming for some reason feels really floaty. Snap shots and quick aiming seems to cause me no end of trouble, and I never had that problem before. Admittedly, I was barely scratching at 54 percent winrate back then, but I used to be able to take aim at least. Was there some big overhaul of the control system that also kinda nerfed aim time and accuracy across the board?

The second thing I noticed is the name of my topic. Gold ammo is all over the place. Sure, you always had the occasional gold spammer, but now, I have games with literally everyone firing gold. The arty, the medium tanks, the heavies, the TDs. And in some of these games, I am not even top tier.

So, what I want to know, is this the current meta? Pointless to pick anything with armor, since everyone fires premium ammo anyways?

Erwin_Von_Braun #2 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 38623 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMisago, on 01 September 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

So, I returned to this game after about two years of absence. I wanted to see what was new and if a game I had invested a lot of time into was worth giving another go for a while.

The first thing I noticed is that aiming for some reason feels really floaty. Snap shots and quick aiming seems to cause me no end of trouble, and I never had that problem before. Admittedly, I was barely scratching at 54 percent winrate back then, but I used to be able to take aim at least. Was there some big overhaul of the control system that also kinda nerfed aim time and accuracy across the board?

The second thing I noticed is the name of my topic. Gold ammo is all over the place. Sure, you always had the occasional gold spammer, but now, I have games with literally everyone firing gold. The arty, the medium tanks, the heavies, the TDs. And in some of these games, I am not even top tier.

So, what I want to know, is this the current meta? Pointless to pick anything with armor, since everyone fires premium ammo anyways?

Yep, seems to be the way of things.

I would respectfully suggest that sir gets used to it.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66618 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

So what? You're one of those that fires 150 AP round on 200mm of armor because it's cool? Never used a single gold round ever right? If I lack AP pen to take on a target that gets in my face, and he needs 3 shots to kill me, but I need one on him. I'll gladly press 2 vs tossing away a win. As will everyone. That and most that "spam" it are in clip tanks. I usually don't have a habit of pressing 1 and starting a 40 second reload while you shoot them, because the Maus they expected to be there was not there. Instead I found you in a paper tank. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 01 September 2017 - 07:04 PM.

ThebaldEagle #4 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 762 battles

ohh another gold whine

ohh wait prem whine  nothing to see here  its weekend

lord_chipmonk #5 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34108 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostMisago, on 01 September 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

This is currently the meta of the super heavy, so of course people are firing a lot of gold in response.

I mean, it wasn't hard to do this a few weeks ago, just face tanking a T95. 

http://wotreplays.co.../3757741#stats 

Zodiac1960s #6 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38984 battles

View PostMisago, on 01 September 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

It's normal to cry about anything that bounces a AP snapshot.  The fact that they butter these tanks with premium shells matter not..

All you really can do is go with the flow and do the same. Hoping changes will be made sooner than later. 

Edited by Blind_Hate, 01 September 2017 - 07:16 PM.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66618 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 01 September 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

This is currently the meta of the super heavy, so of course people are firing a lot of gold in response.

Yeah, since the Jap HT's arrived, along with the recent tier 8 premiums and the VK 100.01 and Maus buff etc. I suspect many have increased their "2" ammo load on some tanks. As I even have.  I usually had 5 rounds on my Type 64. But jumped to 10 after the new Meta slowly started to move in. And as I'm currently training a new crew in it. I'm playing it more often. And had a fairly good round last night where I wasted 35 AP shells across their team. So in the end I had a M4 to deal with. And only gold ammo left. So I had to use 3 rounds to take him out. As I had zero AP rounds. God the rage letter I got in my PM box after that match was something else. Again.. he made it sound like my AP would bounce off... as I did get his rear even.

lord_chipmonk #8 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34108 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostBalc0ra, on 01 September 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

Yeah, since the Jap HT's arrived, along with the recent tier 8 premiums and the VK 100.01 and Maus buff etc. I suspect many have increased their "2" ammo load on some tanks. As I even have.  I usually had 5 rounds on my Type 64. But jumped to 10 after the new Meta slowly started to move in. And as I'm currently training a new crew in it. I'm playing it more often. And had a fairly good round last night where I wasted 35 AP shells across their team. So in the end I had a M4 to deal with. And only gold ammo left. So I had to use 3 rounds to take him out. As I had zero AP rounds. God the rage letter I got in my PM box after that match was something else. Again.. he made it sound like my AP would bounce off... as I did get his rear even.

I have also slightly increased the amount of prem ammo I take on a couple of tanks. Still don't generally carry that much though. Also, people often don't think of them, but the introduction of the Swedish TDs presumably adds to gold useage. Can't pen a 40mm plate with a 120mm gun, so load HEAT to change the autobounce angle to 85 degrees. 

Misago #9 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17352 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 01 September 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

So what? You're one of those that fires 150 AP round on 200mm of armor because it's cool? Never used a single gold round ever right? If I lack AP pen to take on a target that gets in my face, and he needs 3 shots to kill me, but I need one on him. I'll gladly press 2 vs tossing away a win. As will everyone. That and most that "spam" it are in clip tanks. I usually don't have a habit of pressing 1 and starting a 40 second reload while you shoot them, because the Maus they expected to be there was not there. Instead I found you in a paper tank. 

I am not complaining about premium ammo in a dangerous situation. Of course I used it before. Especially in heavies, having 4-5 premium shells as a match saver is not unusual. What I am wondering is that I have entire games in tanks like Pershing, Comet or Chi-Ri where every hit that registers during the game (I mean this literally, not hyperbolically) is a gold shell. Not in a one-on-one, but during the usual trading shots at mid-range. I fought a Centurion in my Comet, and he hit me three times with gold shells. Which is why I am wondering if everyone is only firing gold to counteract armor (as wasteful as it is to use premium ammo on a Comet). As I said, I was away for a while, and I wanted to ask about the meta. If it is common, I won't bother with the slow, heavy-armored tanks.

A very interesting tone of your response, though.

(Also, if I face a 200mm armor side with a 150mm pen gun, I look for something else to shoot at.)

lord_chipmonk #10 Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34108 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostMisago, on 01 September 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

I am not complaining about premium ammo in a dangerous situation. Of course I used it before. Especially in heavies, having 4-5 premium shells as a match saver is not unusual. What I am wondering is that I have entire games in tanks like Pershing, Comet or Chi-Ri where every hit that registers during the game (I mean this literally, not hyperbolically) is a gold shell. Not in a one-on-one, but during the usual trading shots at mid-range. I fought a Centurion in my Comet, and he hit me three times with gold shells. Which is why I am wondering if everyone is only firing gold to counteract armor (as wasteful as it is to use premium ammo on a Comet). As I said, I was away for a while, and I wanted to ask about the meta. If it is common, I won't bother with the slow, heavy-armored tanks.

A very interesting tone of your response, though.

(Also, if I face a 200mm armor side with a 150mm pen gun, I look for something else to shoot at.)

Yes, people are firing LOTS of gold. As I said before though, very heavily armoured tanks have actually become very strong (hence the gold spam presumably). Some people will engage their brain and flank (assuming the opportunity is present), many with just face mash the "2" key. 

commer #11 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38133 battles

View PostMisago, on 01 September 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

WG powercreeped the crapout of armor so now very often it's fire prem or GTFO. Many tanks lost weakspots. There are many tanks with no LFP weakspots and no MG port weakspots. Also there are some tanks where the gold round has no drawbacks (like the Type5 where all the gold does is more dmg)

Joggaman #12 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24201 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMisago, on 01 September 2017 - 07:58 PM, said:

Welcome back!

IncandescentGerbil #13 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35686 battles
Yeah it sucks. Certain players love it and will defend it because it gives them an advantage others cannot afford, and makes their precious WN8 higher than it would otherwise be. Not really their fault; they are mostly impressionable kids who think stats are everything. But it is very much a deliberate money making policy on dear old WG's part.

lord_chipmonk #14 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34108 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostJoggaman, on 01 September 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

Welcome back!

Some things cannot be unseen. 

sgtYester #15 Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54746 battles
  • [RANGF] RANGF

thats what wot is becomming now

on big p2w game  where gold ammo is major part in p2w..   u want to do damage?  u want to kill?  u want to win??   fire gold ammo

havent met any bleu player in battle in recent time thaty did not fire gold in any tank at any tank.

and lets not forget the many many players that are going crazy for this random number called xvm so they can fap at some purple color 

Edited by sgtYester, 01 September 2017 - 09:01 PM.

LZ_Mordan #16 Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14202 battles
and they keep ninja nerfing stuff.

IncandescentGerbil #17 Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35686 battles
In other news I have just rediscovered my love of reading. Started reading some classic scifi earlier, and have had a way more edifying (and cheaper) time than any recent WOT session. The game is so messed up it isn't true. The basic idea is so right, but the lack of (viable) competition has allowed WG to get away with virtual murder. Anyway, back to Dune. And for the time being at least, the game can go edited itself.

lord_chipmonk #18 Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34108 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 01 September 2017 - 11:58 PM, said:

Anyway, back to Dune. 

If you want something a little more recent, Dan Simmons is pretty decent. Read Illium and Olympos a couple of years ago and I remember them being fairly good. 

Stephen Lawhead's Empyrion is also good. 

Edited by lord_chipmonk, 02 September 2017 - 12:02 AM.

IncandescentGerbil #19 Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35686 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 02 September 2017 - 12:01 AM, said:

If you want something a little more recent, Dan Simmons is pretty decent. Read Illium and Olympos a couple of years ago and I remember them being fairly good. 

Stephen Lawhead's Empyrion is also good. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

lord_chipmonk #20 Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:06 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34108 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 02 September 2017 - 12:04 AM, said:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Pleasure. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users