Aim Time

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36560 battles

when I first started playing WOT I was watching Zeven and he explained aim time as the following

There are 3 parts to aim time, turret traverse, tank traverse and tank movement, so on a grille for example you drive to position , stop, turn and aim and therefore it takes 1.5+1.5+1.5 seconds to aim total 4.5 seconds.

This is modified by Vstabs which mostly compensate for 1 of the elemeents and crew skills like smooth ride, snap shot BIA which compensate for another

However I have just noticed in my garage that when I click on aimtime it states that the aim time figure is the time it take for the reticule to shrink by 60%

I an wondering which is correct, and also the Zeven answer makes more sense to me than a random 60% number because it explains why aimtime varies from tank to tank regarding equipment, again for example the grille cant use vstabs so loses that modifier, and obviously a stationary tank aims much quicker than a fast moving tank because it has much more components to account for.

anyone got the full answer?

Dava_117 #2 Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18559 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS
Aim time is the time required to shrink the aim circle for 2/3 of it's diameter. It's allways the same, moving or stationing. A different parameter is dispersion, misured in meters at 100m. Basically it's the smallest dimension that your reticule can reach. Dispersion is affected by moving speed, turning hull and turret and shooting, so the minimum dispersion can be reach only with stationary veicle.

_Anarchistic_ #3 Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36560 battles

View PostDava_117, on 04 September 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

Aim time is the time required to shrink the aim circle for 2/3 of it's diameter. It's allways the same, moving or stationing. A different parameter is dispersion, misured in meters at 100m. Basically it's the smallest dimension that your reticule can reach. Dispersion is affected by moving speed, turning hull and turret and shooting, so the minimum dispersion can be reach only with stationary veicle.

​sorry, I might be being a bit thick but I am not quite sure what you are saying, let me try and perhaps I can get this clear in my head. 

The aim circle represents the overall accuracy, ie  dispersion of the gun and the shells will all land within the circle boundary, a less accurate gun has a larger circle.  This in turn is modified by the soft stat figures for dispersion, ie  affected by speed, turning and turret movement.  So a stationary vehicles dispersion is less than a moving vehicle, a stationary vehicle will have a smaller reticule as it has no speed or turning modifiers, whereas a moving vehicles reticule will start larger and never get as  small due to speed and turning modifiers.  This makes sense.

but why is the aim time only a 60% shrink of the aim circle?  why is it not an accurate measurement of actually fully aiming the gun?  and why is it the same stationary or moving?  surely its harder to aim on the move?

SuedKAT #4 Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:14 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

The aiming time listed for each gun (in a specific turret) describes the time it takes for the aiming circle to shrink to a third of its size, the only thing that directly can impact the aim time is a Enhanced Gun Laying Drive which will decrease the aim time by 10% if/when you are stationary and training the crew. 

However you also have dispersion which indirectly impact your aiming time, if you instead mount a Vertical Stabilizers you instead improve your dispersion, meaning that the aiming circle is smaller from the start of aiming thus meaning that you will have "aimed further in" during the same amount of time compared to if you didn't have it equipped. Same concept is applied to the dispersion penalties you get when you move the tank and/or gun as well as fire the gun, you basically get a bigger circle to start with if you make these maneuvers and thus it takes a longer time to aim fully.

Edited by SuedKAT, 05 September 2017 - 01:15 AM.

Dava_117 #5 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

Major

• Player
  • 18559 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 05 September 2017 - 12:38 AM, said:

but why is the aim time only a 60% shrink of the aim circle?  why is it not an accurate measurement of actually fully aiming the gun?  and why is it the same stationary or moving?  surely its harder to aim on the move?

You understand well the first part, so let's look at the second one. The problem is that you tink as aim time as something related at how easy is to aim the gun. But a better way to understand the mechanic is to think aim speed as semply the time that you gunner take to aim. It's based on tanks design, so it's allways the same (how are mechanism of aiming instrumentation made).

The thing that compensate for inaccuracy of the gunner and gun is dispersion. Aiming in a moving tank it's difficoult, so your shoot will be less accurate.

About why aim time it's related to 60% reduction, well, I don't know. May be because shrinking it's not a linear function...

Homer_J #6 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 04 September 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

when I first started playing WOT I was watching Zeven and he explained aim time as the following

There are 3 parts to aim time, turret traverse, tank traverse and tank movement, so on a grille for example you drive to position , stop, turn and aim and therefore it takes 1.5+1.5+1.5 seconds to aim total 4.5 seconds.

That is rubbish.

Aim time is simply the time it would take your dispersion to go from from whatever size it currently is to one third of it's size.

You can't give an accurate stat for full aiming because it depends where you start from.

HunterXHunter8 #7 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 33111 battles

aimtime in simpler terms is the time it takes the gun to reach it's listed accuracy. 

soft stats that are hidden can change the aimtime, so if you're driving a tank with terrible gun handling then aim time will be high

spamhamstar #8 Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64310 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY
http://wiki.wargamin...echanics#Aiming

qpranger #9 Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 31484 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Why aim? Just shoot and let RNG take care of it.

commer #10 Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38081 battles

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 04 September 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

This is modified by Vstabs which mostly compensate for 1 of the elemeents and crew skills like smooth ride, snap shot BIA which compensate for another

However I have just noticed in my garage that when I click on aimtime it states that the aim time figure is the time it take for the reticule to shrink by 60%

I an wondering which is correct, and also the Zeven answer makes more sense to me than a random 60% number because it explains why aimtime varies from tank to tank regarding equipment, again for example the grille cant use vstabs so loses that modifier, and obviously a stationary tank aims much quicker than a fast moving tank because it has much more components to account for.

anyone got the full answer?

Both are. What was Zeven talking was dispersion or bloom as in how much your circle GROWS when you move, turn the tank or turret. Aim time is a separate parameter and it tells you how fast that bloom shrinks.

Homer_J #11 Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHunterXHunter8, on 05 September 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

aimtime in simpler terms is the time it takes the gun to reach it's listed accuracy. 

soft stats that are hidden can change the aimtime, so if you're driving a tank with terrible gun handling then aim time will be high

It's not and it can't.

The aim time is constant.  What changes is how big the "circle" is to start with.

Keyhand #12 Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 59607 battles
  • [FAME] FAME

View PostHomer_J, on 05 September 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

It's not and it can't.

The aim time is constant.  What changes is how big the "circle" is to start with.

Can confirm, that is the correct answer.

Aimtime itself as a stat for a gun is not really as important as the combination of the accuracy itself combined with the bloom you get from the dispersion values.

That is - for example - why a Grille with statistically very low aimtime has such a derpy feeling to the gun sometimes whereas the WZ-111-5A feels pretty accurate even when only aiming very short amounts of time or not at all.

The craziest example is the Strv 103 B which has an (albeit low, but still existant) aiming time in the gun stats, however when in siegemode and only traversing (not moving forwards or backwards) you are instantly aimed - you simply do not have to aim any more since you get no penalty for shifting horizontally.

_Anarchistic_ #13 Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36560 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 05 September 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

That is rubbish.

Aim time is simply the time it would take your dispersion to go from from whatever size it currently is to one third of it's size.

You can't give an accurate stat for full aiming because it depends where you start from.

View PostHomer_J, on 05 September 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

That is rubbish.

​which is why I thought Zevens answr made sense, start from a stationary position aim quicker than start from a moving position and having to turm stop and lay the gun on target

Bigtime_Alarm #14 Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 17713 battles
Aim time is how the wunderkind beat you, you have it they don't and they still never miss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users