The weirdest way to win a battle

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Baldrickk #21 Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31238 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
It used to be the other way round, and that death would have lost you the game, but they silently changed it a few patches ago.

Kozzy #22 Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Major

• Player
  • 39191 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View Postqpranger, on 05 September 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

Well, since we already established that I am not one of those players, I guess you refer to yourself in that circumvent way. And I agree that it does sound crazy when you belittle yourself like this.

You complain about bad teams causing you to lose more than you should yet you are not willing to back this up with some replay evidence.  It is far more easy to believe the simpler explanation that you simply don't contribute enough towards your team's efforts (as some of your stats would suggest) and so you lose more than you would like.  I am up for sharing, say 10 replays (not hand-picked, 'look at this amazing game' kind of replays but, like the last 10 played or something) if you are?

Also, have you considered getting some advice/help or even platoon from some purples on the forums?  

qpranger #23 Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 34524 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View PostKozzy, on 05 September 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

You complain about bad teams causing you to lose more than you should...  

You are lying again, you just cannot help it.

I just want honest balanced exciting gameplay instead of demeaning repetitive roflstomps.

WindSpIitter1 #24 Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 278 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Postjabster, on 05 September 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

I beleve there's a small window of time between the game being won and the game actually completing so yes it is possible to win a game but have no tanks left. 

There is and it's extended by a small bit every time someone dies, so MadMentm strongholds always featured us extending the game upon a win by continuing our focus fire. Trust me, madmen focus fire was never better than when it came down to killing the FC. 

Baldrickk #25 Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31238 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View Postqpranger, on 05 September 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

I just want honest balanced exciting gameplay instead of demeaning repetitive roflstomps.

"Stomps" derive from the game format - permadeath team deathmatch.

Once one team gets a kill, they have an intrinsic advantage, which leads to a greater advantage and so on.

jabster #26 Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12614 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostBaldrickk, on 05 September 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

Once one team gets a kill, they have an intrinsic advantage, which leads to a greater advantage and so on.

That is true but if one team already has an intrinsic advantage before the battle countdown timer is even finished then a 'stomp' is more likely to happen surely?

Edited by jabster, 05 September 2017 - 12:31 PM.

Kozzy #27 Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Major

• Player
  • 39191 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View Postqpranger, on 05 September 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Funny, when I questioned why you did so bad in the WT auf E100 (over 600 games at less than 42% WR) you blamed your teams:

View Postqpranger, on 22 March 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

Had abysmal teams more than with most other tanks. Cannot carry suicide squads in a purely support vehicle like this, sluggish, with no armour and 50 second reload. Still liked it and did my bit when on a decent team.

Same thing has been happening more recently with STA-2. Like the tank, hate the teams if you can call them that. 

You can fool yourself into thinking that you can do well and win more in a particular tank, but at the end of the day the MM giveth and the MM taketh away.

There are many, many more instances where you say things along the lines of "can't do any batter with the teams I keep getting" implying that the reason for your poor performance is indeed the teams and not you.

View Postjabster, on 05 September 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

That is true but if one team already has an instrinct advantage before the battle countdown timer is even finished then a 'stomp' is more likely to happen surely?

A what advantage?  Sure it's more likely to happen but a lot of these threads imply that this advantage is not surmountable or that there aren't other reasons for 'roflstomps' or that evenly matched teams don't also provide 'roflstomps'.  

qpranger #28 Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 34524 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View PostBaldrickk, on 05 September 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

When teams are properly balanced, one death (or even more) will not result in an inevitable avalanche. 

But lack of proper balance causes a progression of worthless deaths on the team that is weaker from the outset.

Kozzy #29 Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

Major

• Player
  • 39191 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View Postqpranger, on 05 September 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

When teams are properly balanced, one death (or even more) will not result in an inevitable avalanche. 

But lack of proper balance causes a progression of worthless deaths on the team that is weaker from the outset.

Have you ever played 'competitive WoT' battles?  Skirmish/CW/Advances etc?  They happen all the time with evenly matched teams.

jabster #30 Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12614 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostKozzy, on 05 September 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

A what advantage?  Sure it's more likely to happen but a lot of these threads imply that this advantage is not surmountable or that there aren't other reasons for 'roflstomps' or that evenly matched teams don't also provide 'roflstomps'.  

Already edited that one before you'd even posted :P

The point I was really picking up on was the claim, this isn't directed at Baldrick, that you often see that in randoms the snowball effect is king and therefore more balanced teams leads to more 'stomps' whereas having less balanced teams to start with doesn't.

Kozzy #31 Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

Major

• Player
  • 39191 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

View Postjabster, on 05 September 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

Already edited that one before you'd even posted :P

The point I was really picking up on was the claim, this isn't directed at Baldrick, that you often see that in randoms the snowball effect is king and therefore more balanced teams leads to more 'stomps' whereas having less balanced teams to start with doesn't.

Damnit, thought I was being clever, being pwnt by ninjas a lot today. :S

Fair enough.  I think we need to agree on what a landslide game is; is it when one team is wiped out in under a certain amount of time (say 5 minutes)?  Or when one team wins by over a certain margin, say by 10 tanks?  From what I imagine a whitewash game to be, they happen probably 1/5 of the time(ish?) regardless of whether it's random battle mode or competitive games.

Karasu_Hidesuke #32 Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16202 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View Postjabster, on 05 September 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

I beleve there's a small window of time between the game being won and the game actually completing so yes it is possible to win a game but have no tanks left. 

UPDATE

I got a reply, and as jabster quite correctly pointed out this was exactly the case.

The official reply then: "...watched the replay and you have won, because there is a small time frame of few seconds, when if you get killed, you will lose. But in this case those seconds have passed, so the capture was successful."

The window must be very small indeed.

Edited by Browarszky, 09 September 2017 - 08:43 PM.

jabster #33 Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12614 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostBrowarszky, on 09 September 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

UPDATE

I got a reply, and as jabster quite correctly pointed out this was exactly the case.

The official reply then: "...watched the replay and you have won, because there is a small time frame of few seconds, when if you get killed, you will lose. But in this case those seconds have passed, so the capture was successful."

The window must be very small indeed.

Had a game today where I killed the last tank yet there was still enough time for someone to TK the tank next to me. I put it in the category of a bit strange but no biggy. 

Karasu_Hidesuke #34 Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16202 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View Postjabster, on 09 September 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

Had a game today where I killed the last tank yet there was still enough time for someone to TK the tank next to me. I put it in the category of a bit strange but no biggy. 

I've actually seen the same thing happen in a few games. Always wondered about what is the point of committing a TK after the battle is won. Well, not that there would have been much point earlier on, either, but you get the point, I hope.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users