XVM Focus

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

Poll: XVM legality (187 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Remove XVM from authorised mods?

1. Yes (136 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. No (51 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Hide poll

t1esla #1 Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:16 AM

Private

• Player
  • 38991 battles

How many of you in the purple/blue category gets focused by arty game after game?

Every time the sixth sense goes off, I expect a shot incoming from those pesky red line camping arties. There will be any number of tanks spotted near or on the other side of the map yet the shot will come my way most of the time. 

I made this thread so WG realises that XVM focus is real problem and it needs to be dealt with. In the next patch(not sure), they are planning to include authorised mods. Rest of the mods will need to be authorised or deemed illegal to use(again not sure how they will manage to punish those who use them). Should XVM become one of the illegal mods?

Balc0ra #2 Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:04 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64364 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postt1esla, on 05 September 2017 - 02:16 AM, said:

they are planning to include authorised mods. Rest of the mods will need to be authorised or deemed illegal to use(again not sure how they will manage to punish those who use them). Should XVM become one of the illegal mods?

That WG authorized mod site on the RU server is not going fast. It's still just an "early" beta, and WG did hardly mention it during gamescom, other then that it's going slowly working out the issues with it. So don't expect that to work like planned within the next few patches on all servers.

And I'm fairly sure xvm is not on that mod site. But that don't indicate that WG will ban it. But if they did, I would not get that upset. As long as they add the non elite filter in garage. I can finally run 100% vanilla. As they have taken most good aspects about XVM into the vanilla UI.

Then again, if XVM got banned via that new system. I suspect the amount of alt accounts buying tier 8 premiums would drop drastically. As then there really is no point making one for most.

Edited by Balc0ra, 05 September 2017 - 03:05 AM.

SuedKAT #3 Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
XVM is more than in-game stats, but regarding those yes I don't think they belong in the game, not just for XVM stats focus but also the toxicity they create towards good players by bad players and vice versa. I also find it rather boring to be able to predict were everyone is going on most maps, at least to some extent. 

NervosCuNervii #4 Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21833 battles
  • [D57T] D57T
Arty focus is one thing, but the YOLO's are annoying af. Get rid of it!

Still feel bad for the known good guys or from good clans as they'll get focused with or without XVM though.

Homer_J #5 Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:25 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I made this thread so WG realises that XVM focus is real problem 

I don't understand what is bad about focusing on the best players in the enemy team.  I try to do that and I don't even have XVM.

If there ever is a method of authorising mods you can be certain XVM will be on the allowed list because of the poopstorm it created on the RU forums the last time they tried to block it.  Too many players are obsessed with their own (and everyone else's) stats.

Jigabachi #6 Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I made this thread so WG realises that XVM focus is real problem and it needs to be dealt with. 

A lot of the talk about focus is utter nonsense, but it does exist. But that isn't the only problem, it's just the only problem your kind sees, because you finally feel the short stick of that mod after using and abusing it for ages.

XVM as a whole is a problem, for many reasons. And yes, it should get removed asap.

Maybe in 5 years. 

Captain_Kremen0 #7 Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36801 battles

After spending most of last night getting artied to the point of rage quit I offer you evidence that arty focusing on best players is utter bollocks. Cos I'm not one.

Ok so only one persons evidence.....same as your OP.... but even if they DID focus by colour then so what? Like Homer said; focus on the threat.

spamhamstar #8 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64310 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

I like the xvm stats as they allow me to see who on my team might be useful & who should be left to their own devices.  They can block seeing the enemy teams stats for all I care, but please don't leave me to guess about the abilities of my own side.  Surely you'd know in real life, so why not in the game?

Besides arty is far more likely to focus you if you forgot to bring some armour these days since they nerfed the pen on their HE rounds.  I've been playing a lot of light tanks recetly & in my experience a lot of arty players will ignore a unicum in their maus or foch (much more dangerous tanks anyway) in favour of shooting at me & i'm really not good enough to deserve arty focus for any other reason.

jack_timber #9 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32435 battles

I often wonder how many players use XVM?

Is there any indication?

Does using XVM give an unfair advantage?

Well there's 3 questions for a start....

Why do I get the feeling that the ones using XVM are the ones complaining about it, would this be a correct assumption....

Sfinski #10 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 30958 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View Postjack_timber, on 05 September 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

Is there any indication?

Why do I get the feeling that the ones using XVM are the ones complaining about it, would this be a correct assumption....

Like the Fame guys who don't use any mods? Naw, no need to have xvm to complain about it.

Kozzy #11 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View PostJigabachi, on 05 September 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

A lot of the talk about focus is utter nonsense, but it does exist. But that isn't the only problem, it's just the only problem your kind sees, because you finally feel the short stick of that mod after using and abusing it for ages.

XVM as a whole is a problem, for many reasons. And yes, it should get removed asap.

Maybe in 5 years. 

Oh it certainly does exist, even me with my stats suffers this nearly every time I play with arty in the match.  I should start compiling a list of replays that show this kind of thing going on.

What do you mean by this: "because you finally feel the short stick of that mod after using and abusing it for ages."?

I don't have a problem with XVM per se but the way it can be used, in-game, trash talking, "oh noes we gonna lose", arty focus etc adds more negatives than positives.  As I have said many times, why even have enemy player names?  Show that sh1t AFTER the match, along with the XVM colours.

commer #12 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38081 battles

How many of you in the purple/blue category gets focused by arty game after game?

Every time the sixth sense goes off, I expect a shot incoming from those pesky red line camping arties. There will be any number of tanks spotted near or on the other side of the map yet the shot will come my way most of the time. 

I made this thread so WG realises that XVM focus is real problem and it needs to be dealt with. In the next patch(not sure), they are planning to include authorised mods. Rest of the mods will need to be authorised or deemed illegal to use(again not sure how they will manage to punish those who use them). Should XVM become one of the illegal mods?

Have in mind that better players play more agressive so they are often focused for that.

Though I agree. I'm still a green on overal WR and Teal on wn8 and I often get yolod by enemy tanks. Last night a full hp caern drove  300m to yolo my 350hp Lowe despite knowing there will be tanks that will shoot him. Some people simply go for statistically strongest player on the team.

Aikl #13 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postjack_timber, on 05 September 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

Is there any indication?

XVM states that "3 700 000+ of players around the world regularly use XVM Source". Not all of those are stats users; XVM is really just a framework for different mods - including the stats.

Installing XVM actually does tell you which players in a match use it as well, and if they have the statistics turned on (you have to activate it on a website before it starts working). It can actually be quite handy to know if an enemy arty has it - though you still occasionally have people calling out an enemy player as priority target anyway. That's not always based on stats, of course, sometimes you suspect that artillery needs a little reminder that shooting at bottom-tier lights isn't necessarily the best idea.

The advantage is arguably hyped. Sure, you can get an impression of how the teams will play, but positioning usually tells you that anyway, and is ultimately far more important. Besides, 95% of players are far from being consistent enough to actually rely on. Furthermore, most of its users would be far better off not knowing if you have the player advantage or not. A player that always takes his tank to the TD/heavy/light flank because "that's where he's supposed to be" has no chance of telling the outcome of a match by simply looking at how many good/bad players there are on each team.

I frankly don't care if someone has an advantage by easily viewing the stats of other players, it's the abuse of it that gets bothersome. It's not constant, but noticeable still. Part of it is that good players tend to stick their head out more, or even are the first ones to get spotted.

Still, sometimes you're pretty convinced. Your bottom-tier heavy gets shelled constantly despite being arguably a 'harder' target than a top-tier heavium. Your (statistically superior) platoonmate gets shelled constantly, and arty moved onto you only after he's dead/hiding. Sometimes you can explain it by playing style, sometimes not, other times it's merely out of chance. Still, it's not surprising that 'active' players get shot at. 2-3 arties, 2-3 light tanks (that usually aren't that easy to shoot) and five-six TDs on a team... that leaves 5-6 "active" players for 2-3 arties to shoot at. :P

PS: I'm tempted to reinstall it - there's a lot of Super-Rommels that predicts losses, calls out our team for being noobs, lights for not spotting or whatever - while having so bad stats that whining about his team should earn a perma-chatban from the get-go. It's not better when above-average players whine in chat (though some screams of frustration are usually in order), but they don't do that too often. The worst ones are usually the loudest...

Edited by Aikl, 05 September 2017 - 08:28 AM.

Kozzy #14 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View Postcommer, on 05 September 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

Have in mind that better players play more agressive so they are often focused for that.

Though I agree. I'm still a green on overal WR and Teal on wn8 and I often get yolod by enemy tanks. Last night a full hp caern drove  300m to yolo my 350hp Lowe despite knowing there will be tanks that will shoot him. Some people simply go for statistically strongest player on the team.

Indeed, some players just installed the QB mod pack and then focus the player with the colour that is closest to purple.

Too many times I have seen arty go for me when I am not in the strongest or most dangerous tank?  Such as me in my VK100p, some orange guy in an AMX50b and some other yellow guy in an IS4 and they go for me?  Why?

EDIT:

View PostAikl, on 05 September 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

Installing XVM actually does tell you which players in a match use it as well, and if they have the statistics turned on (you have to activate it on a website before it starts working). It can actually be quite handy to know if an enemy arty has it - though you still occasionally have people calling out an enemy player as priority target anyway. 

Good point!  I haven't had mods running for ages, THIS is a great reason to install XVM again.

Edited by Kozzy, 05 September 2017 - 08:29 AM.

Jigabachi #15 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostKozzy, on 05 September 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

What do you mean by this: "because you finally feel the short stick of that mod after using and abusing it for ages."?

XVM is an obvious cheatmod as it grants massive advantages to the user. Padders used it for ages without remorse, but only now as other players dare to use it against them, they start moaning.

spamhamstar #16 Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64310 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

View PostAikl, on 05 September 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

it's the abuse of it that gets bothersome. It's not constant, but noticeable still.

I reckon the people that cry in game about the xvm win chance or individual players stats would just cry about something else instead if it was removed. 

I used to use win chance & found it to be pretty useless apart from telling you that you'd need a good game to have any chance in an especially low chance game or you'd need to be quick to get damage in a high win chance game.  So it was only useful at either extreme, with 80+% win/loss chance, but didn't tell you much of use the rest of the time. 

I still use the players stats & have never griefed anyone about their stats as it took me a long time to learn the game & I must've had terrible stats for ages when I wasn't even aware of them.  So I'd say that yet again it's the players themselves that are the problem and not anything to do with the specific aspects of the game or mods.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said & thought it was a very well thought out post on this.  Was pretty much what I was thinking but more coherent.  Not sure I should be grading your post really but there is no xvm mod for the forum :(

Cobra6 #17 Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Yes please!

It's getting to be very annoying when arty keeps consistently cr@pping on you even if you are the bottom tier tank in a match, focussing you when there are quite literally standing paper targets 50m to your left and right.

Even going for you when you are driving full speed in a light tank or when you relocate to the complete other side of the map.

Personally I don't mind getting shot by anyone in this game, not even arty, but if they keep focussing you despite there being many more viable targets available to them it just saps the fun out of playing.

I do love it though when arty XVM focusses you the whole match ignore important flanks and then lose the match because of it, that is always a good feeling :teethhappy:

XVM is terrible for this game in general, not only for the good players that get focussed by everyone and their dog but also for the worst players that get abused because of their terrible stats.

It *literally* has no benefit to be in the matches, in the garage is fine but stats in the matches should go.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 05 September 2017 - 09:12 AM.

shishx_the_animal #18 Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 30729 battles
  • [FAIME] FAIME

View PostJigabachi, on 05 September 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

XVM is an obvious cheatmod as it grants massive advantages to the user. Padders used it for ages without remorse, but only now as other players dare to use it against them, they start moaning.

lol yeah, they just discovered it in 2017, cmon Jigabachi try harder... we know you don't need xvm to padd.

Edited by shishx_the_animal, 05 September 2017 - 09:06 AM.

t1esla #19 Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

Private

• Player
  • 38991 battles

View PostJigabachi, on 05 September 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

If you are referring to me moaning about XVM then yes I am. I use it but I do not go around focusing the best players in enemy team. I choose a flank, I decided whether it is viable to push along it and whether there are any gaps in their defence that can be broken. I have it as a convenience so I know whether the player next to me or on my flank is capable of distinguishing his head from his toes. I don't otherwise care if XVM shows enemy stats or not(blocking enemy team's stats is a nice idea too). I am here to play my own game, not to worry about other player's stats.

And you are forgetting that it is easier for arty players to focus a tank than it is for rest of the classes. Hell, can't even shoot them back which is the worst part. Oh and they nerfed arty damage right? nah.. They still hit you for 500-700 and stun you at the same time. 

shishx_the_animal #20 Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

Colonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 30729 battles
  • [FAIME] FAIME

View Postt1esla, on 05 September 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

Play safely when you have 1+ arty in game. There's just nothing else. If you're playing aggressive and get spotted first then it's really a nobrainer for the arty to shoot you since you're the first one to pop up. I've been playing on friends accounts with really crappy stats and I've still felt artillery focus mainly because I was overly aggressive with my spotting. Dunno... the faster you stop thinking about it, the better.

Oh and uninstall it.

Edited by shishx_the_animal, 05 September 2017 - 09:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users