• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

undutchable80 #1 Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 8185 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Hey guys,

First off, I’m a crap player looking to improve my gameplay: I’m reading the various wikis, watching YT videos, increasing my knowledge on maps, weak points etc. And the tip I got from Jigabachi to deal dmg at least equal to my own vehicles’ HP has helped with that process as well (even though damage dealing in LT’s is sometimes hard, but I set my own goal to try and do double my HP in damage & damage by spotting when driving my LT).

What I am looking for now is tips / advice on improving my gameplay by avoiding (minimizing) Team Damage.

It has happened several times to me over the past few months that I’ll be sidescrapping / rocking back and forth like a boss n00b around a rock or building, fully zoomed in (x16-25) waiting for weak spots to target (front wheels to track or lower plates etc) on an enemy tank I know is hiding behind the rock / another building. (Of course I could just press “2” but I am trying to improve myself by targeting weakspots). He pops out, I think “gotcha!”, pull my trigger…just as a friendly tanks drives in front of me and my shot goes in the back of his head turret. I pull back, say sorry in chat, because of course I did put my shot into him, even though I could ‘blame’ him for driving in front of my gun, but I don’t.  It's my fault.

Similar situation when 1-2 tanks are engaging an enemy around a corner and I want to reinforce them. 2-3 guns shooting an enemy will hopefully cause that enemy to die quicker and thus helping my team, right? However, the 1-2 friendlies are rocking back and forth trying to get a shot, and either I will pull up too far in front of them the get a clear shot (but also making me the primary target for the enemy), or I hesitate to pull the trigger because they keep moving in and out of my aiming circle, and thus I am not helping my team, because I am not firing my gun.

Fortunately I have not TK'd anyone, but removing 200-400 HP from a teammates HP pool is bad, m'kay? How do you guys prevent team damaging your teammates in such situations? How do you prevent this ‘tunnelvision’ when waiting to ambush? Like I said, it’s not always my fault that a friendly drives in front of my gun, but I don’t want to blame him because I am looking to improve myself by diminishing (the chance of) team damage.

Zoom in and out more to maintain situational awareness? (And yes, I have my map set to almost maximum, but even then I don’t always see another green icon almost on top of mine because I am so focused on the corner of the building.) Not reinforce my teammates but look elsewhere to help out the team?

Any tips or advice on how you guys minimize damaging team members would be appreciated.

jabster #2 Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12598 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
This probably isnt quite the answer your looking for but there's a mod called safeshot which stops you hitting friendlies the vast majority of the time. 

Edited by jabster, 06 September 2017 - 10:18 AM.

Kozzy #3 Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE

You're a better man than me, OP.  I would shudder to think how much HP I have removed from team mates over the years (both accidental and intentional) is there any way to find out stats on team damage/kills?.

As Jabster says; SafeShot mod is what you're after if you want to make it VERY hard to shoot team mates (it is still possible if you lead a shot and a friendly 'drives in front of the shot' .  The mod also has the option to post a message to the team along the lines of 'watch out buddy, you are in my line of sight'.

Edited by Kozzy, 06 September 2017 - 11:32 AM.

Emeraldweed #4 Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10437 battles
  • [-322-] -322-
Try not to stay zoomed in for more than 3 seconds, being zoomed in for long periods of time keeps you tunelvisioned ( see what i did there? ) and limits your awareness. I also try to avoid peekaboo situations in general

Jigabachi #5 Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Situational awareness.
You should always keep an eye on the map to check how many tanks are around you. Where are the fast lights and meds? Anyone driving towards your position?
And if there ARE tanks around you, never stay fully zoomed in all the time, otherwise you'll totally lose the track of the things that happen around you.
And for the corner brawling part: Simply don't shoot if you don't have a save shot. Keep more distance to your teammates.

If you shoot a teammate, it's most definitely your fault, even if they drive into your line of fire. After all, it's YOU who pulls the trigger.

That mod would be an option, too.

Headless_Rooster #6 Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10845 battles
  • [WUN-2] WUN-2

it helps to count between allied shots so you know when they're reloaded/about to fire - doesn't help so much when you have some idiot inboard of you bouncing back n forth all the freaking time tho, I move to somewhere else if they do that (or wait til they're dead which won't be long and sidescrape off their dead tank) - course your idiot allies are not likely to do the same so you have to count between both inboard and outboard allied shots to avoid getting one in the back of the head yourself.

I don't get all the bobbing and weaving tbh, what's the point trying to get the enemy to miss if there's a bunch of allies lined up next to you, if everyone stayed lined up in a staircase affair (which is what you find in team battles) as soon as the enemy pops out they're dead, and the same goes if you peek against a line-up of enemies - one of our FC's calls it playing level stupid :teethhappy:

If you zoom right out (even without the fancy zoomout cheat mod) you can often see if the enemy is focusing your corner before you poke, never poke when there is enemy focusing your corner

You are welcome to join W-Uni too matey, we do loads of basic training stuff that would help for this kind of thing

Edited by Headless_Rooster, 06 September 2017 - 10:33 AM.

Bora_BOOM #7 Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 23517 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Two suggestions (in addition to above) from me:

1. increase the FOV (field of view) in game settings, it can be set to to 120 degrees

2. dont use that much zoom. keep the zoom to x10 (mods) or the default 8x. that is enough to see almost all target spots while sniping, zooming out is faster (if you use the mouse wheel) and your FOV is much wider. 10x zoom does not make you tunnel vision as high zooms do.

Cheers.

undutchable80 #8 Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 8185 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Thanks guys. Some good advice here! Will look into the mod and the FOV change as well as try to follow some of the other tips.

WoT Uni sounds great too. Just need to get a new headset with microphone first :-p Will check that out probably a couple of weeks after our baby is born (due this or next week :-) )

Kozzy #9 Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [RINSE] RINSE
This thread is one of those super-rare threads on the WoT forums where a person comes on asking for advice, in a coherent and reasonable manner and he receives several useful pieces of advice along with offers to be taught lessons on various aspects of the game.  No sarcastic comments or insults.  Good work indeed, should probably be pinned. +1 OP.

Edited by Kozzy, 07 September 2017 - 08:54 AM.

Headless_Rooster #10 Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10845 battles
  • [WUN-2] WUN-2

Good luck with the new baby! :great:

Don't spend a fortune on a headset, don't srimp too much either, I first got one of those £6 jobbies off ebay it went duff in 3 weeks, someone recomended the logitech G230 to me which I've had since April, good comfy solid headset IMO there's some on ebay for £32

Hope to see you on TS with news of the new birth! Here's our recruitment thread for when you're ready http://forum.worldof...636062-wot-uni/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users