server lag

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

torque13 #1 Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 42801 battles

just started playing this morning and everything as usual 

ping between 20 and 40 ms full of incompetent players so i was loosing 4 out of 5 battles and tier 8 sees mostly tier 10s but after a few hours of playing the ping just went up to 100 130 ms and when i would try to poke out to take a shot the tank would just keep rolling for a meter or 2 then would come back to the original position and when i took a shot the shell would leave the gun with a huge delay and of course cas of that i couldnt hit anything so i logged out and came back 2 hours later and now its even worse 

Dava_117 #2 Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:46 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18519 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

How is your hardware? If it's old or just powerfull enought to run WoT, may be it overheat during time, losing some of it's computational power.

Or it can be your router too, for same reason.

Edited by Dava_117, 11 September 2017 - 04:47 PM.

Homer_J #3 Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Download pingplotter

point it at login.p1.worldoftanks.eu or login.p2.worldoftanks.eu depending which server you are having issues with.

leave it running ten minutes or more while you play, note if you have lag.

save the trace as an image and attach it to a reply (use the more reply options button)

let's see where the problem is

Shivvering #4 Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29048 battles
Are you using a home plug? I sometimes get sporadic ping spikes when the second machine is on, probably auto updaters and the like.

torque13 #5 Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

Private

• Player
  • 42801 battles

View PostDava_117, on 11 September 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

How is your hardware? If it's old or just powerfull enought to run WoT, may be it overheat during time, losing some of it's computational power.

Or it can be your router too, for same reason.

its a 6 months old pc with intel i5 and 8 gb of ram and if overheating would have been the issue it would have done it always but yesterday when i played for 6 hours it was fine plus today it was cold outside about 20 degrees unlike the summer when it was about 45

View PostHomer_J, on 11 September 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

Download pingplotter

point it at login.p1.worldoftanks.eu or login.p2.worldoftanks.eu depending which server you are having issues with.

leave it running ten minutes or more while you play, note if you have lag.

save the trace as an image and attach it to a reply (use the more reply options button)

let's see where the problem is

the problem can only be in 2 places 

the wot servers but since im the only one having this issue that means it is not the server

or my internet but my download and upload speed were fine however its a raining outside and a bit of a storm so that could be the problem 

just wanted to see if anyone else had lag issues to make sure its not the servers before taking a hammer to my router

View PostShivvering, on 11 September 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

Are you using a home plug? I sometimes get sporadic ping spikes when the second machine is on, probably auto updaters and the like.

im the only one pluged into the router however i did have issues when my sister was at home using the wifi but now i think it might be cas of the storm 

Dava_117 #6 Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18519 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

View Posttorque13, on 11 September 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

its a 6 months old pc with intel i5 and 8 gb of ram and if overheating would have been the issue it would have done it always but yesterday when i played for 6 hours it was fine plus today it was cold outside about 20 degrees unlike the summer when it was about 45

Well, this exculde overheat. Have you checked if there were windows update running an update? On my pc it usually icrease ping drammatically. And the worst thing is that Windows 10 don't have an option to disable auto update.

Edited by Dava_117, 11 September 2017 - 05:48 PM.

Aikl #7 Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

It's funny; in every lag thread someone suggests that OP should run Pingplotter to see where the problem is - and in every thread that advice is largely ignored.

View PostDava_117, on 11 September 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

Well, this exculde overheat. Have you checked if there were windows update running an update? On my pc it usually icrease ping drammatically. And the worst thing is that Windows 10 don't have an option to disable auto update.

Pretty sure you can still disable the service that runs the updates:

1. Run->Services.msc

2. Find 'Windows Updater' and doubleclick it. Change the dropdown menu in the middle to 'Deactivated'. Alternatively just right-click and disable it;  it'll activate again on next startup.

(There's probably some reason why you shouldn't do that, but the chance of getting some nasty stuff is rather low anyway.)

SuedKAT #8 Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:34 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Posttorque13, on 11 September 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

the wot servers but since im the only one having this issue that means it is not the server

or my internet but my download and upload speed were fine however its a raining outside and a bit of a storm so that could be the problem 

just wanted to see if anyone else had lag issues to make sure its not the servers before taking a hammer to my router

The only time it only can be in two places is when your computer is connected directly via cable to one of the WoT servers, then your computer or the server are the only ones in the equation. The data which is sent back and forth between your client and WoT's servers utilize the IT infrastructure across Europe and at each hop or hub so to speak there can be an issue which often means that you'll experience the issues related to packet-loss. Imagine a freeway, you are traveling from point A to point B, but it can be traffic along the way that slow you down, the same thing can happen with the data.

As long as your not using a 56k dial up modem your download and upload speeds are quite irrelevant, it's the connection quality you have between the server and your client that matters, if you like me have a 1Gbit/s connection you can still lag if the connection is bad.

I suggest that you read:

How can a Pingplotter report be helpful?

https://eu.wargaming...kb/articles/461

How do I check my Network? PingPlotter report - WGCheck Network Diagnostics

https://eu.wargaming.../kb/articles/50

Edited by SuedKAT, 11 September 2017 - 06:35 PM.

Homer_J #9 Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttorque13, on 11 September 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

Ah you work for Wargaming.  Why didn't you just pop round to the network section then?

What is the issue people have with posting a pingplotter trace, why is it always like I'm asking for some body part?

BravelyRanAway #10 Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:21 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22358 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostHomer_J, on 11 September 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

What is the issue people have with posting a pingplotter trace, why is it always like I'm asking for some body part?

Perhaps it will expose the grey matter to some form of measurement.:trollface:

Aikl #11 Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostHomer_J, on 11 September 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

Ah you work for Wargaming.  Why didn't you just pop round to the network section then?

You've played tanks for longer than I have, and forum users can be the same players who blame everything except themselves for their 44% winrate. ;)

torque13 #12 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

Private

• Player
  • 42801 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 11 September 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

it seems you didnt understand what i wanted to do

i just wanted to see if it was a server issue cas if more players had this problem than it was the server and i asked in the in game chat and not a single player said anything they were too busy complainig about the mm or arty or bad players in the team

btw logged in last night and the game worked fine so in conclusion it was an internet issue 

Jigabachi #13 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
It's definitely an issue on OP's side. In fact, it's packet loss. You can easily see it because it also leads to missing punctuation in OP's posts.

Homer_J #14 Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Posttorque13, on 12 September 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

i just wanted to see if it was a server issue cas if more players had this problem than it was the server and i asked in the in game chat and not a single player said anything they were too busy complainig about the mm or arty or bad players in the team

btw logged in last night and the game worked fine so in conclusion it was an internet issue 

And asking random people is completely the wrong way to do it because there will always be someone else having lag issues.

SuedKAT #15 Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Posttorque13, on 12 September 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Asking people in a battle can tell you that it's an issue with the servers or not, but it may just as much just be everyone using your ISP in the same area or country that have issues, so for example if you're in a clan which have a specific nationality focus you might get tons of people saying they lag and believe there is an issue with the server when it's not. Without checking the connection between your client and the server you can only speculate, it might be your ISP having issues, it might be a blackout in Germany, it might be a fire in France, or flooding in Italy that means the data you send and receive needs to take another route, perhaps it goes through some congested hubs, who knows, you are just speculating after all. 

Just as you need to do a checkup on a car when it performs badly, you need to do a checkup on your connection when it performs badly, I mean it's not like you ask random people if their car performs badly as well and draw conclusions about your own car from that...

CmdRatScabies #16 Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35759 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Getting really bad lag & high ping on EU2 tonight.  Ping plotter looks bad on EU1 & 2 at the last hop.

Homer_J #17 Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:33 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostCmdRatScabies, on 12 September 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

Getting really bad lag & high ping on EU2 tonight.  Ping plotter looks bad on EU1 & 2 at the last hop.

Pics or it didn't happen.

RSAGhost #18 Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 37875 battles
  • [KOOL] KOOL
Ive had the same thing a few times my tank doesnt stop when i tell it to stop and delayed shots sometimes i restarted the game and it fixed it.Also make sure theres no programs open like steam because it can run updates if open.I also had a problem with Avast antivirus which caused lagg i now use only windows defender you can google about it.Also do a dns flush if you dont know google it :)and ofc open windows update and see if its not updating also update your graphicsdriver too latest one

SuedKAT #19 Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostRSAGhost, on 13 September 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

Ive had the same thing a few times my tank doesnt stop when i tell it to stop and delayed shots sometimes

That's due to packet-loss, the communication is delayed/interrupted between the server and the client so to speak so the server still thinks you are pressing a specific key even when you're not. To resolve it there and then, press the same key again, then the server might catch up and you won't be stuck going in a direction you don't want. A more permanent fix is to diagnose the connection like I described in post #8 and then resolve any issues your connection have.

Pvt_Duffer #20 Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16653 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Last time I had packet loss (yesterday) it turned out to be an ipad 2 that I had deferred an update on. 

(The ipad was locked, plugged in for charging and unused FWIW, it's only used for browsing and email by Mrs Duffer, so there's very little cruft on it, it's almost OOTB)

I was getting 100% packet loss for 0.25 to 2 sec every 2 to 3 minutes minutes or so on a laptop I had just ripped apart and rebuilt.

As a result (of my building skills) there was much messing about before I went round and started disconnecting other Wifi devices.

(Edit: no I didn't bother with a wired connection, the poit was to test the wifi, as I had ripped out the connections/card and antenna)

As soon as I put the ipad into airplane mode, 0% packet loss, all connections solid as a rock.

Turned on the ipad wifi, watched the packet loss come back. Turned it off, problem solved.

Rebooted the ipad, watched the packet loss come back. Turned off the wifi, problem solved.

I did update the ipad a bit later and while it initially seemed okay, I was still seeing 100% packet loss for 1-2 second  every 1 or 2 hours, 

True story.

If ICBA I might try connecting the ipad to a different AP on a different channel, just to see if it's killing the wifi or router/AP rather than the network as such.

Just wish I hadn't already updated the POS.

Check yo' devices.

Edit: Even your wired ones, Steam auto updates are another unseen network killer, Duffer Jnr, has an immense Steam library and is regularly responsible for overloading the wifi/network. 

Edited by Pvt_Duffer, 13 September 2017 - 06:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users