Should I install XVM again ?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I use XVM ? (72 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should I use XVM ?

1. Yes (14 votes [19.44%])

Percentage of vote: 19.44%

2. No (58 votes [80.56%])

Percentage of vote: 80.56%

Vote Hide poll

OneSock #1 Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34866 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

I used XVM for a long time before it became incompatible with my ageing PC over 1 year ago.

Having now upgraded my PC I am now in position to install it again, but I'm now in two minds, as I've not really missed it that badly.

So should I install it ?

Pros:

1. Able to tell who are good players I can work with.

2. Identify good players I can soft platoon with.

3. Get an idea how my team might play so I can modify my approach to battle as need be. (i.e. are my team likely to support me).

Cons:

1. Can see how bad my team is.

2. Depressing to be on tomato team, may affect my play.

3. Playing tilt, because on tomato team for 10th time in a row.

I can't decide. :(

alienslive #2 Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 87971 battles
Life is better if you can't see your teams stat in the beginning...

clixor #3 Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 51423 battles

XVM isn't really required to spot bad teams/players, you''ll notice that 30s after countdown. And it does depend on how you deal with bad rng on teams. If you tilt often than it's just not worth the frustration it gives.

After playing a few patches without i installed xvm again, the pro's outweigh the cons for me (for the moment).

hajoittaja #4 Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36655 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P
You should. Personally I see no drawbacks using it, while playing without it is like having no sixth sense.

Aikl #5 Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:13 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25540 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

There are plenty of players that shouldn't have XVM installed, because they can't handle playing in a bad team.

Question is, did you play worse after you uninstalled XVM? I really doubt that...

Noo_Noo #6 Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 21646 battles

Not for me. Stay clear. 

better to concentrate on your own game, your positioning and maximising your contribution. No matter how good or bad your team is you still need to play according to how the game develops and what the minimap tells you. 

Look at your own performance before you judge others,  it makes life far more comfortable, while XVM means you judge a player before the game has even started. 

malachi6 #7 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 49872 battles

If you are using XVM to see how "good / bad" your team is you almost certainly should not use it.  Anecdotally, 1 in 5 "very good" players are rerolls that will leach damage from the rest of the team.  1 in 5 "bad" players are players that have a degree of camouflage due to number of battles played.  and a few are people that actively play to get vision for the team and do a lot of assisted which is not reflected by WN8.  

Use it as a very rough guide.  Do not use it as a stick to beat your team mates with.

I use XVM for the UI and garage mods.

View Posthajoittaja, on 12 September 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

You should. Personally I see no drawbacks using it, while playing without it is like having no sixth sense.

This from a guy that puts his stats in his sig.  This is the problem with WN8.  To much epeen.

Tilly042 #8 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 28177 battles
  • [29AR] 29AR

I've played for a few years and only got XVM a couple of months ago.  Since then I've started looking more at stats than I used to and despite not having the chances to win activated, the palyers are colour coded.  

In short, I enjoyed the game more when I couldn't the XVM info so I won't be using it any more.

Aikl #9 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25540 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postmalachi6, on 12 September 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

If you are using XVM to see how "good / bad" your team is you almost certainly should not use it.  Anecdotally, 1 in 5 "very good" players are rerolls that will leach damage from the rest of the team.  1 in 5 "bad" players are players that have a degree of camouflage due to number of battles played.  and a few are people that actively play to get vision for the team and do a lot of assisted which is not reflected by WN8.  

(...)

The vast majority of players aren't anywhere near any real consistent performance anyway. I'm supposedly in the top 5% of players (WN8-wise) but I couldn't claim consistency worth a damn. :D

Derethim #10 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17499 battles

I actually play better with XVM installed, makes me try harder if I see my team is bad... but I'm too lazy to install it.

Also love the arcade zoom feature on one of the modpacks :3

Spurtung #11 Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 63590 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostOneSock, on 12 September 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

Pros:

1. Able to tell who are good players I can work with.

2. Identify good players I can soft platoon with.

3. Get an idea how my team might play so I can modify my approach to battle as need be. (i.e. are my team likely to support me).

Cons:

1. Can see how bad my team is.

2. Depressing to be on tomato team, may affect my play.

3. Playing tilt, because on tomato team for 10th time in a row.

Your pros are the reason why XVM, to me, in battle, is a cheat, as it will give you unfair advantage and let you know if you can push or if you should be careful with who is ahead of you. You only mention your own team, but we all know you use that info on the enemy as well.

Your cons are the reason why some people just shouldn't have any information, as they can't cope with it.

Comrade_Renamon #12 Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9835 battles

Question is if you can cope with having the information available for you, it can lead to possibly bad decisions simply made on the stat of your ally (or enemy). Just to illustrate, if you need to fall back from a flank that is collapsing and you have quite a few TDs visibly aiming in that direction you can be certain that be them red or purple they will shoot at targets that you will spot (there is some quality differences of course, knowing LoS is one from the TDs).

Putting you in the bad mindset is imho worse than not knowing what color your flank mate is as it becomes obvious really fast who licks windows for a living. When XVM had features such as the last spotted tank and view/render range circles it was a handicap not to have it but now I think for majority of the users it is a bigger handicap to have it.

Hedgehog1963 #13 Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 51274 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
I had a little moment on Sunday in my RU 251 where I'd pushed hard and early up the middle of Live Oaks from the South.  I caught an Emil II in the open heading SE from the enemy spawn.  his shooting was ff and i was able to destroy him, with a little help from my team working off my spotting.  Very satisfying moment because he was a teal/turquoise coloured player - way, way better than I am.  I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much if 'd not been running XVM.

hajoittaja #14 Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36655 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P

View Postmalachi6, on 12 September 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

This from a guy that puts his stats in his sig.  This is the problem with WN8.  To much epeen.

If I cared about epeen I'd reroll already as my stats are nothing to brag about really. The problem with WN8 are people who are obsessed about it and act like morons. I am only using it as a tool to evaluate which team mates to rely on and which engagements to take. For me, xvm brings much less frustration because I know things like these already, instead finding it out in the battle and going to a flank with 100 WN8 team mate who ends up blocking my way out and getting us both killed. 

Spurtung #15 Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63590 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Posthajoittaja, on 12 September 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

If I cared about epeen I'd reroll already as my stats are nothing to brag about really. The problem with WN8 are people who are obsessed about it and act like morons. I am only using it as a tool to evaluate which team mates to rely on and which engagements to take. For me, xvm brings much less frustration because I know things like these already, instead finding it out in the battle and going to a flank with 100 WN8 team mate who ends up blocking my way out and getting us both killed. 

And I thought you'd claim XVM only presents already available information, as if anyone could/would check all other 29 players while the battles load.

Edited by Spurtung, 12 September 2017 - 01:04 PM.

Xandania #16 Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36347 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

Only reason I see to look out for XVM is during the countdown of a game - if there is a major disparity between winrate and wn8 on any player, suspect him of redline sniping and similar - and don't ever rely on his support ;)

hajoittaja #17 Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36655 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P

View PostSpurtung, on 12 September 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

And I thought you'd claim XVM only presents already available information, as if anyone could/would check all other 29 players while the battles loads.

Well, that's their choice to install XVM or not. It's free after all and don't take much effort to do so. If you're happier without it, then good for you. Before I knew about xvm I used to check people's stats by alt tabbing to noobmeter during the countdown or in the battle as well. Of course I couldn't check all, but only the tanks that really mattered. If xvm didn't exists, I'd still probably keep doing that. 

HeidenSieker #18 Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostOneSock, on 12 September 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

I used XVM for a long time before it became incompatible with my ageing PC over 1 year ago.

Having now upgraded my PC I am now in position to install it again, but I'm now in two minds, as I've not really missed it that badly.

So should I install it ?

People have said on the forums that it's a very useful tool for focussing good players, so that must be a valid reason.

StinkyStonky #19 Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 28309 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

I like XVM and would generally advise players to get it, but looking at your list of Pros/Cons I'd advise you don't get it (again).

You know what it does and the fact that you haven't rushed to install it and have instead asked on here, shows that deep down you know you don't want it.

FYI, the silly Win Percentage has been removed.

I now calculate my own by comparing the number of blue, greens and reds.

If it looks like we are going to lose, then I play carefully and try to farm.

If it looks like we are going to win, I play aggressively so that I can get some XP.

Most games it's inconclusive and so I just play normally.

By paying attention to good players (where they go, what they do, when the relocate, etc.) I've learned a lot.

Spurtung #20 Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63590 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Posthajoittaja, on 12 September 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

Well, that's their choice to install XVM or not. It's free after all and don't take much effort to do so. If you're happier without it, then good for you. Before I knew about xvm I used to check people's stats by alt tabbing to noobmeter during the countdown or in the battle as well. Of course I couldn't check all, but only the tanks that really mattered. If xvm didn't exists, I'd still probably keep doing that. 

Oh, it's their choice, is it? To install it or not? That's nice.

I wonder where my option is then, as a non XVM user, to not have my stats in display to those making such altruistic choice...

And I'm very sure you did all that, and you'd also keep all the information in your pretty head so you could use it while in battle. I'm so very sure you did that. So sure.

Edited by Spurtung, 12 September 2017 - 01:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users