Should I install XVM again ?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I use XVM ? (73 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Should I use XVM ?

1. Yes (15 votes [20.55%])

Percentage of vote: 20.55%

2. No (58 votes [79.45%])

Percentage of vote: 79.45%

Vote Hide poll

Mike_Mckay #41 Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:53 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22715 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostSpurtung, on 12 September 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

You like it because of that? No wonder your WR is what it is and you attribute results to luck or match making or whatever. You're the first one bringing your teams down when pulling off that kind of crap.

Firstly I don't attribute winrates to luck, just a percentage of them, you know, the exact same way WG does too

And you cant "bring down" a guaranteed roflstomp any more that solar panels would avert a sun going supernova

Spurtung #42 Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 74396 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostMike_Mckay, on 13 September 2017 - 01:53 AM, said:

View PostSpurtung, on 12 September 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

You like it because of that? No wonder your WR is what it is and you attribute results to luck or match making or whatever. You're the first one bringing your teams down when pulling off that kind of crap.

Firstly I don't attribute winrates to luck, just a percentage of them, you know, the exact same way WG does too

And you cant "bring down" a guaranteed roflstomp any more that solar panels would avert a sun going supernova

Spoken like a true know-it-all 48%er.

Rati_Festa #43 Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 49572 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Don't reinstall, I removed a couple months ago and its a far more chilled experience. The Pros far out way the Cons... hopefully one day it will be removed/banned from game.

Edited by Rati_Festa, 13 September 2017 - 08:32 AM.

OneSock #44 Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40698 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

Thanks all for the input so far. 

I wasn't expecting it to be so heavily NO.

I am certainly leaning that way... 

Mike_Mckay #45 Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22715 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostSpurtung, on 13 September 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

Spoken like a true know-it-all 48%er.

And I will still say the exact same thing at 50, 55 and if I ever get there 60% because there will STILL be games that are unwinnable and ones that are almost impossible to lose then too

Spurtung #46 Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 74396 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostMike_Mckay, on 13 September 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

And I will still say the exact same thing at 50, 55 and if I ever get there 60% because there will STILL be games that are unwinnable and ones that are almost impossible to lose then too

No, you won't. You know why? Because that sort of thinking (and abandoning matches) will never let you go anywhere near 55%.

Chuwt #47 Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 40318 battles
Speaking as a "bad" player, one thing that players who consider themselves "good" seem to often forget is that many "bad" players are actually not idiots, they are perfectly capable of having good games, sometimes exceptional ones..it is just that they typically have less of them than a player rated more highly.

The use of XVM seems to encourage the view that anybody with stats less than yours is automatically useless to the team, to be treated with contempt, abused, rammed, shot or whatever. This does not help the game of either player, or, as a result, the team.

Personally, I would like to see all third party stuff banned. If it does not give an advantage, why does it exist? if it is esential to play, it should be part of the game.

LCpl_Jones #48 Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13020 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

i run xvm, has loads of useful tweaks. i don't care about the stats but they are useful as a loose guide to how well someone will play 

i will never suicide or grief at the beginning because anything can happen especially with RNGesus 

LCpl_Jones #49 Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13020 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostChuwt, on 13 September 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

....Personally, I would like to see all third party stuff banned. If it does not give an advantage, why does it exist? if it is esential to play, it should be part of the game.

it exists to improve players experience like the garage tweaks. it also serves as a great way for the game to get free development, the best mods normally end up being incorporated into games

Spurtung #50 Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 74396 battles
  • [WG_PT] WG_PT

View PostLCpl_Jones, on 13 September 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

i don't care about the stats but they are useful as a loose guide to how well someone will play

If you don't care about the stats, why do you want to know (even if not exactly) how well someone will play? That's quite the oxymoron right there.

IncandescentGerbil #51 Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35775 battles
The stats side is an aspirational, ego driven tool for many, which may well die soon if rumours on other threads are confirmed.

Edited by IncandescentGerbil, 13 September 2017 - 01:34 PM.

Baldrickk #52 Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostChuwt, on 13 September 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

Speaking as a "bad" player, one thing that players who consider themselves "good" seem to often forget is that many "bad" players are actually not idiots, they are perfectly capable of having good games, sometimes exceptional ones..it is just that they typically have less of them than a player rated more highly.

The use of XVM seems to encourage the view that anybody with stats less than yours is automatically useless to the team, to be treated with contempt, abused, rammed, shot or whatever. This does not help the game of either player, or, as a result, the team.

Personally, I would like to see all third party stuff banned. If it does not give an advantage, why does it exist? if it is esential to play, it should be part of the game.

It doesn't take xvm for a knowledgeable player to determine of another is a good or bad player. 

For example:

Last night, tier X game in Conqueror on Serene Coast.

I decide to try and bully some medium tanks on the north flank. 

Our scout (blackdog: immediate assumption - he's probably half decent, because why would you buy a premium light tank otherwise) should have gone to a spotting location.

He didn't, and the enemy team were able to surprise us with overwhelming numbers on that flank, including their heavy tanks. 

I did my best to fight them, but eventually went down, aided by the first damage I took being a penetrating HE shell up my Jacksie from aforementioned Blackdog that left me stranded partway through creating the ridge with not enough gun depression to shoot the enemy and my LFP hanging in the air.

He fled at this point, camped a bit, and eventually died by running past our front line, in front of firing tanks, eating a shell in the process and straight up the barrel of the (spotted) enemy artillery piece.

He claimed to have been scouting. 

I informed him that the tank he was claiming to spotted was actually spotted by myself.

He survived until almost the end of the battle (a win as the other flank was basically unopposed) whereas I died about 1/4 of the way in, with a pretty miserable 1500 or so dmg done. 

Despite my main role being a losing battle against superior tanks in superior numbers at point blank range, I also found time to spot across the map  (in my heavy) for over 2600 assist dmg while dodging the enemy shells, including spotting the aforementioned VK100 (that he claimed he was spotting).

This was enough to net me 3rd place on the team.

He on the other hand managed a total of 800 spotting (0 first spots), in his light tank, in one of the better scouting maps, in a tier X game (plenty of HP to spot) and about 250 damage.

My platoon mate told me later, just before the battle ended that the player in question had a 42% WinRate and about 200 WN8.

Let's say that despite not running XVM stats myself, I  was not surprised.

A bad player can have good games. True. But typically, they luck into them.

back when I was running with stats, a deep red IS was left vs 5 enemy tier tanks.

He had been camping all game and so was on full hp, the enemy consisted of a tier 5 arty, three other tier 5s and one tier 6 on low HP.

Through myself and another player giving advice and the enemy tanks meeting him head -on, one at a time, he ended up winning that battle in what was probably the best result he'd ever had. 

You can't kid yourself that results like this are a result of skill however. 

Games away from your skill level happen, but they are outliers and not representative.

However...   you just had a game where you did really well. Good Job!

Most people say not to look at your good replays, because you don't learn as much.

I say balls to that, what really matters is how you look at them.

So go back and watch your replay. Look at what went right (and what didn't) ask yourself WHY it turned out like it did.

You shoot a tank. Good. But was it down to your good positioning? Did you intend to be there or did you luck into the position? Are enemy tanks usually in a position to shoot you there or is it a position to remember for future use? How useful is the position really? Did you get the shots because it was a good place for you to be, or was it because of a mistake on the part of the tank you shot? Is there another location you could have been in that would have been better?

Taking note of what went right (and why) is just as important as taking note of what went wrong (and why) yet seems to be a little underappreciated.

Take note of that and your skill will improve. 

Mods are not inherently bad.

Some give an advantage. Many game staples started out as third party mods, but were added to the game as they were good for the game.

Things like novelty skins, other sight reticules etc have absolutely no effect on the game, yet are third party mods...

RSA_TriHard_7 #53 Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47810 battles
  • [WKEY] WKEY
Dont i uninstalled it long ago my stats impoved you can just focus on your game and best thing for me is no need for mod updates after every patch

IncandescentGerbil #54 Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35775 battles
Imagine how much more fun and dynamic the game would be if players were required to adapt to what they see in any given situation, rather than simply conform to their pre game assumptions, which are themselves based on increasingly spurious and nonsensical stats.

LCpl_Jones #55 Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13020 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSpurtung, on 13 September 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

If you don't care about the stats, why do you want to know (even if not exactly) how well someone will play? That's quite the oxymoron right there.

i didn't say 'i want to know'

Erwin_Von_Braun #56 Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42992 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostOneSock, on 12 September 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

I used XVM for a long time before it became incompatible with my ageing PC over 1 year ago.

Having now upgraded my PC I am now in position to install it again, but I'm now in two minds, as I've not really missed it that badly.

So should I install it ?

Pros:

1. Able to tell who are good players I can work with.

2. Identify good players I can soft platoon with.

3. Get an idea how my team might play so I can modify my approach to battle as need be. (i.e. are my team likely to support me).

Cons:

1. Can see how bad my team is.

2. Depressing to be on tomato team, may affect my play.

3. Playing tilt, because on tomato team for 10th time in a row.

I can't decide. :(

Poll seems pretty conclusive.

Save yourself a tonne of grief and play without it;)

Erwin_Von_Braun #57 Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42992 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 13 September 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Imagine how much more fun and dynamic the game would be if players were required to adapt to what they see in any given situation, rather than simply conform to their pre game assumptions, which are themselves based on increasingly spurious and nonsensical stats.

This^^^ + This ^^^

With an extra helping of This ^^^

Whilst I'm here, I'll have a pint of This^^^ too.

Pvt_Duffer #58 Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16715 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostOneSock, on 12 September 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

I used XVM for a long time before it became incompatible with my ageing PC over 1 year ago.

Having now upgraded my PC I am now in position to install it again, but I'm now in two minds, as I've not really missed it that badly.

So should I install it ?

Pros:

1. Able to tell who are good players I can work with.

2. Identify good players I can soft platoon with.

3. Get an idea how my team might play so I can modify my approach to battle as need be. (i.e. are my team likely to support me).

Cons:

1. Can see how bad my team is.

2. Depressing to be on tomato team, may affect my play.

3. Playing tilt, because on tomato team for 10th time in a row.

I can't decide. :(

Your pros are all misleading, due to stet pedding.

Your cons are all the same and you are at fault and dictate playing without XVM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users