• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Brodie_ #1 Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 81673 battles

Hi guys.

I used to love my Arty.

Still have my British & French tier X's & my American tier 9 in my garage, but I have no interest in playing them anymore after 9.18!

I have a Lef Aswell, but I do not really enjoy what it does. (Yes obviously it is the most effective tier 5 arty) (But to troll for me)

I do hanker after a bit of arty fun though still, every so often.

As arty has been ruined so much. I'm really looking for something that feels a bit how things used to.

So I decided to look at the larger caliber low tier Arties.

I'm only interested in the bigger guns & thought tier 4 would fit the bill, as you still will have a chance to actually pen!

The SU 5 with the short range Mortar low ammo capacity looks like fun until you probably run out of ammo. (I imagine that due to the short range it has quite a good firing arc?)

The Sturmpanzer II has lots of ammo seems like long range. But the firing arc may be very limiting?

I was wondering if any experienced arty players out there may have an opinion of which of these particular two, would be most fun?

Thanks ahead for your replies.

Arty haters feel free to whine cos I don't care! 

(I have all the arty missions completed with honours pre-9.18, so missions are not an issue)

Cheers

Edited by Brodie_, 14 September 2017 - 09:26 PM.

Needle_ #2 Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1266 battles

I would say the Sturmpanxer II would be better.

Because you stand more of a chance to be spotted earlier with the SU, as you have to be closer to the enemy.

Gremlin182 #3 Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

General

• Player
  • 52587 battles

The German line I think because you can get to the GW Panther which is great.

I favour SPGs with a wide firing arc most of the Russian ones esp high tiers seem to have 8 or 10 degrees of arc which I find painful.

M44 and GW panther can cover a huge part of the map without needing to move the hull and begin aiming again, and of course the French line eventually gets a 360 turret.

Not sure what you mean by Arty being ruined but each to their own.

Brodie_ #4 Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 81673 battles

By being ruined, I mean they just do not do any damage anymore.

I played my French tier X once the other day. It has been so castrated! (Do not think I will ever play it again)

I really hate this stun mechanic they introduced.

The higher tiers have been ruined for me.

So that's why I'm looking at the low tiers.

I used to really enjoy the M44 (I actually completed Obj-260, Spg-15 in it) & am aware of how good the Gw panther was. So thank you for those good suggestions. 

But they suffer the same problems since 9.18.

So they would just make me sad.

Cheers

Brodie_ #5 Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 81673 battles
How you felt about the Sturmpanzer II if you came up that branch to get to the GW, even if you have never had the SU 5 would be of interest though?

Orkbert #6 Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26675 battles

View PostBrodie_, on 14 September 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

The Sturmpanzer II has lots of ammo seems like long range. But the firing arc may be very limiting?

I was wondering if any experienced arty players out there may have an opinion of which of these particular two, would be most fun?

Since I don't play Russian SPGs I can't quite compare, but the Sturmpanzer II is not long range.

Rather the contrary: it has only 600m range (like its predecessor the Bison) and thus is one of the short range artilleries. Only Bishop and Bert have even shorter range.

But that much said, Sturmpanzer II plays nicely if you got the guts to deal with its seemingly disadvantages.

Brodie_ #7 Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 81673 battles

View PostOrkbert, on 14 September 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

Since I don't play Russian SPGs I can't quite compare, but the Sturmpanzer II is not long range.

Rather the contrary: it has only 600m range (like its predecessor the Bison) and thus is one of the short range artilleries. Only Bishop and Bert have even shorter range.

But that much said, Sturmpanzer II plays nicely if you got the guts to deal with its seemingly disadvantages.

Thanks, that was an assumption I just made.

Have looked for the ranges of both on Tanksgg, & they come up as 10000 for both. But 600 as you say would make more sense.

Loved my Bert, but I feel it is ruined now :angry:. But new my positions well, so short range I can deal with!

Cheers

Edited by Brodie_, 14 September 2017 - 04:14 PM.

Gremlin182 #8 Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

General

• Player
  • 52587 battles

I played as far as the SU5 it was pretty decent but that was way back when.

Once I saw the Soviet SPGs firing arc getting down to 8 degrees I thought whats the point.

I might buy the Su26 back one day it was fun with its turret.

The Sturmpanzer II I liked but again way back when Grille also decent even with its arc of fire it was just worth playing.

Also had a lot of fun with the other tier 4 the Pz Sfl IVb I just liked the semi turret and played it like a TD most of the time then they really nerfed the view ranges which I never understood and I dropped it.

I have to stick to SPGs that can stun because its the only way to do the personal missions.

Halving the pen and damage, I understood why they did it and as long as I can still earn my XP and credits by stun and damaging more tanks more often Im happy enough.

One shotting a tier 10 heavy tank with 2000 damage was always going to be a problem in the game, even though it only happens when a team plays well together.

SPGs cannot function in a bad team.

Ill still play my LeFH its the only SPG I have a top gun in as its a great TD when top tiered.

Other than that I just play for a change and PMs

lronbeast #9 Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 11909 battles
  • [PATA] PATA
I love my LeFh still, more so than ever,  actually. It didn't get the nerfhammer that bad(at all?) And I feel I do better with it the higher the tier. Higher tiers get fewer instalosses when enemy swarms the base during the first minute,  but the tier VII games last very long some times,  and you get to nibble and hon hon hon in peace.   Just did a 2000+ dmg in one today.  Hon hon hon. :-D

Brodie_ #10 Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 81673 battles

Just had a look at the differences on TanksGG, comparing how these two were before 9.18 & after.

It's very dramatic & leads me to think that the Sturmpanzer is the way to go.

Though the pen of both was decreased. The DPM was significantly increased upon the Sturmpanzer II!

Edited by Brodie_, 14 September 2017 - 08:18 PM.

Brodie_ #11 Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 81673 battles

View Postlronbeast, on 14 September 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

I love my LeFh still, more so than ever,  actually. It didn't get the nerfhammer that bad(at all?) And I feel I do better with it the higher the tier. Higher tiers get fewer instalosses when enemy swarms the base during the first minute,  but the tier VII games last very long some times,  and you get to nibble and hon hon hon in peace.   Just did a 2000+ dmg in one today.  Hon hon hon. :-D

They did not nerf the Lef.

Because of it's premium status.

The only thing they took away was it's AP rounds. But it's still got the heat!

I want something with a bigger bang though! :justwait:

Darth_Clicker #12 Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:20 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57249 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostBrodie_, on 14 September 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

They did not nerf the Lef.

Because of it's premium status.

The only thing they took away was it's AP rounds. But it's still got the heat!

I want something with a bigger bang though! :justwait:

Lefh still has AP as a choice.

Posted Image

Brodie_ #13 Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 81673 battles
Oops. Just realised that I did look at my Lef saw a 0 & thought that they had been removed. My bad.

Brodie_ #14 Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 81673 battles

Well after waiting for a crew retraining discount, I finally got around to buying the Sturmpanzer II!

Put a BIA crew into it & I really like it!

I was wanting something to feel like the pre 9.18 arty & though it is still not a one shot monster for most tanks,  I like it!

(Though it can certainly still 1 shot)

The biggest problem is that with low tier players being so random it is very team dependant. 

Its a bit like a weird cross between a Bishop & FV304 in terms of game play at tier 4 (pre 9.18)

It's not fast, but it is not horribly slow.

Aim time is quite long. 

But fully aimed shots are incredibly accurate! (please remember I have BIA on the crew)

I was expecting the gun arc to be big problem, but as long as you are aware of it. 

I have found that it is not to bad using a bit of forethought. 

Yes I'm a horrible tier 4 seal clubbing arty...

But I have got a 58% win rate in it at the moment!

I seem to have found what I want to play when I have a hangover on Sundays...

Scream all you want arty haters... 

I Play all the tanks... 

Edited by Brodie_, 26 November 2017 - 07:41 PM.

ArgentHellion #15 Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8645 battles

If given a choice to stick to a single artillery line, the Soviet would definitely

be my last choice. The SU26 was an absolute rapid-fire beast and the S-51 was

the one-shot champion, but those days are long gone.

At this point I would consider this artillery line an obsolete one, it's merely used to

balance out the Russian bias. I can imagine a conversation that probably once took

place in a random WG office, when someone pointed out that the Soviets have more

actively used and all-out well performing tanks in the game, so the only way to counter

that was to make the artillery next to unplayable. BALANCED !!!!

Edited by ArgentHellion, 14 January 2018 - 01:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users