Jump to content


How to get better after taking a long break?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

PandaOtaku #1 Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 13356 battles
  • 46
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

So I've played this game since 2011, but after taking a long break (1-2 years) I've decided to get back into the game and play some more, but I'm so rusty that I play bad in games, I generally die first, do almost no damage, and end up not doing the correct options at the correct time. I have only tier 6-9 in my garage so I hoped back in by playing my tier 8's mostly, but have found out I'm quite out of my depth now. I know the basics of the game still, it's just how to perform better.

 

Was thinking of starting a new line of tanks so I can freshen my skills, but not sure. Any tips?



wremise #2 Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 47322 battles
  • 812
  • [P4NTA] P4NTA
  • Member since:
    09-29-2011

join clan, and play platoon. A helping platoon-mate is better as 1000 words we can write.

 

But you really shouldnt play "high-tier", start a new line, play some low tiers to try to get the hang of the game again.



Jigabachi #3 Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17852 battles
  • 18,190
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011
Go back to the low-/midtiers, refresh your knowledge by reading the wiki and watching some YT videos and then just play and see if it gets better.

Ubervold #4 Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:52 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 20707 battles
  • 560
  • Member since:
    09-01-2012

View PostPandaOtaku, on 15 September 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

So I've played this game since 2011, but after taking a long break (1-2 years) I've decided to get back into the game and play some more, but I'm so rusty that I play bad in games, I generally die first, do almost no damage, and end up not doing the correct options at the correct time. I have only tier 6-9 in my garage so I hoped back in by playing my tier 8's mostly, but have found out I'm quite out of my depth now. I know the basics of the game still, it's just how to perform better.

 

Was thinking of starting a new line of tanks so I can freshen my skills, but not sure. Any tips?

 

​Tier 8 is probably the most unforgiving tier at the moment, I would recommend playing lower tiers for.a.while.

PandaOtaku #5 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:00 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 13356 battles
  • 46
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

View PostUbervold, on 15 September 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

 

​Tier 8 is probably the most unforgiving tier at the moment, I would recommend playing lower tiers for.a.while.

 

Why is it the most unforgiving? Woudn't that be tier 9/10?

 

Thanks for the advice everyone, think I'll stick to tier 6 and below atm.



Sebenza #6 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:02 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 13652 battles
  • 1,045
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013

View PostPandaOtaku, on 15 September 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

 

Why is it the most unforgiving? Woudn't that be tier 9/10?

 

Thanks for the advice everyone, think I'll stick to tier 6 and below atm.

 

Tier 8 MM is completely botched at the moment, and so is tier 6, albeit a bit less. Tier 5, 7 and 9 are your best bets at getting the occasional enjoyable top tier game.

PandaOtaku #7 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:05 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 13356 battles
  • 46
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

View PostSebenza, on 15 September 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

 

Tier 8 MM is completely botched at the moment, and so is tier 6, albeit a bit less. Tier 5, 7 and 9 are your best bets at getting the occasional enjoyable top tier game.

 

Is it by any chance because of the over-performing premium tanks?

Jigabachi #8 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17852 battles
  • 18,190
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View PostPandaOtaku, on 15 September 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

Is it by any chance because of the over-performing premium tanks?

That and the MM, which puts you into tX matches most of the time.



PandaOtaku #9 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:11 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 13356 battles
  • 46
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

View PostJigabachi, on 15 September 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

That and the MM, which puts you into tX matches most of the time.

 

I see, I was thinking of playing SPG. Is that a good start to improve again?

Sebenza #10 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:11 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 13652 battles
  • 1,045
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013

View PostPandaOtaku, on 15 September 2017 - 11:05 PM, said:

 

Is it by any chance because of the over-performing premium tanks?

 

Not really, it's because you're bottom tier most of the time and when I say 'most of the time', I really do mean practically always

Sebenza #11 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 13652 battles
  • 1,045
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013

View PostPandaOtaku, on 15 September 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

 

I see, I was thinking of playing SPG. Is that a good start to improve again?

 

I dont think anyone ever improved by playing SPG's. That's just my opinion though

Derethim #12 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:39 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 16815 battles
  • 1,742
  • Member since:
    04-03-2012

View PostSebenza, on 15 September 2017 - 11:12 PM, said:

 

I dont think anyone ever improved by playing SPG's. That's just my opinion though

 

I agree tho, SPGs have completely different playstyles than any other class... you can play some heavies as mediums, some mediums as TDs/light tanks or some TDs like heavies, but you can't play a heavy like an artillery.

Jigabachi #13 Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17852 battles
  • 18,190
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View PostPandaOtaku, on 15 September 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

I see, I was thinking of playing SPG. Is that a good start to improve again?

Well. Might be good for a few games to get into the whole environment again. Maps, pacing... that stuff. Other than that - no, not really.



Hamsterkicker #14 Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 32465 battles
  • 509
  • [TEAMB] TEAMB
  • Member since:
    08-08-2011
Playing SPG's does not bring you up to speed with all the changes and pace. Try tier 6 and 7 mediums to bring you up to speed again.

Isharial #15 Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 18962 battles
  • 2,225
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-19-2015

id play a few T5 if I were you, you see some "harder" opponents from time to time in the form of T7, but you still have the capability to kill the things you encounter and get to see weaker things as well in the form of T4's

its a great starting tier imo



VeryRisky #16 Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 17126 battles
  • 8,529
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-11-2012
SPGs are a option as you do get to see how some maps work from overview.   Plus the PMs are easy to knock off.

ExclamationMark #17 Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 16679 battles
  • 3,727
  • Member since:
    04-12-2013
Whenever I take a break, I always come back with a clear head... and play far better than I did before leaving. :P




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users