This forum section ftw

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

SuedKAT #1 Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Since quite a while back I've not been using any mods what so ever, mostly due to the fact that most of the stuff I was interested in have recently been introduced into the standard game. However I am missing one thing from XVM, the icon next to the contour icons showing if a tank have been spotted, if it is spotted right now or if it have never been spotted at all, like this:

I could of course install XVM just to get that, but are there any alternatives? I'd much rather have a bit more lightweight mod, than create a custom XVM config that basically just would have 1 single thing enabled.

Regards

SuedKAT

jack_timber #2 Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 33432 battles
Didn't Aslains mod pack have something similar? That long since I used it and could never quite figure out the vast array of choices. But like you say WG incorporated everything I needed now apart from a clock in the garage:)

Mimos_A #3 Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24094 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L
I run xvm with the battle stats turn of to get this and stats in my own service record. You can turn off battle stats at the settings on the xvm website after logging in.

SuedKAT #4 Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjack_timber, on 19 September 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

Didn't Aslains mod pack have something similar? That long since I used it and could never quite figure out the vast array of choices. But like you say WG incorporated everything I needed now apart from a clock in the garage:)

Most mod packs have this feature, but I think they get it from XVM and not a standalone mod, haven't looked that closely into what Aslai's pack consist of yet but I will do just to make sure I haven't missed something.

View PostMimos_A, on 19 September 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

I run xvm with the battle stats turn of to get this and stats in my own service record. You can turn off battle stats at the settings on the xvm website after logging in.

Yeah that I know off, I was considering to do a similar config on my own, but it feels like using Photoshop instead of Paint to cut away a bit of a pic if you get what I mean. But I guess that's the best way of solving this since I haven't been able to find a standalone mod that does this.

Aikl #5 Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25547 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I believe the main "resource hog" isn't the XVM framework, but rather all the bells and whistles. I seem to remember that the performance impact from minor UI changes running on XVM wasn't huge. Any 'custom' mod might also cease to function with the launch of a new patch, using a pack like Aslain's ensures at least light testing of the mods.

As jack_timber points out, Aslain's should create the proper config if you check only the lightbulb-thing.

SuedKAT #6 Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAikl, on 19 September 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

I believe the main "resource hog" isn't the XVM framework, but rather all the bells and whistles. I seem to remember that the performance impact from minor UI changes running on XVM wasn't huge. Any 'custom' mod might also cease to function with the launch of a new patch, using a pack like Aslain's ensures at least light testing of the mods.

As jack_timber points out, Aslain's should create the proper config if you check only the lightbulb-thing.

Hmm might be so, I've used Jimbos config in the past since it's minimalistic enough for my taste, but then again making a "personal" config in XVM ain't that complicated if you just want the basic stuff, it's mostly altering "true" to "false" or some other values. Will do some trials later tonight and see if I can't come up with a decent solution, might even be possible to extract just that part from XVM without to much hassle.

Jigabachi #7 Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
You could simply use the map (spotted tanks and last spotted positions vs. not visible on the map at all). Takes longer and requires some effort (which is why even those mods are a problem), but it works fine.

SuedKAT #8 Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 12154 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostJigabachi, on 19 September 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

You could simply use the map (spotted tanks and last spotted positions vs. not visible on the map at all). Takes longer and requires some effort (which is why even those mods are a problem), but it works fine.

Yeah but when you have a cluster of tanks spotted in one location it can be hard utilizing just the map and the teamlist to determine what actually is spotted in that location since it all gets "mushed together" (on the map) so to speak. I view it as the last spotted locations XVM used to have but the standard client didn't, sure it was an advantage, but it was eventually implemented to the game, which makes a lot of sense not only if you want to level the playing field but also from a realism aspect, tank crews or commanders would note down the location of enemies and so on.

IncandescentGerbil #9 Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35679 battles
You're probably better off asking Paul Weller.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users