How is AT-15?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Matcorr #1 Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22746 battles

I want to get the 183 before it's replaced but the last tank I enjoyed in this line was AT-2, AT-8 and AT-7 made me punch a few walls with frustration. I understand on paper the AT-15 is decent, at least better than AT-7 (bad gun depression, elevation and gun arc). But how is it in reality?

I have pretty much everything unlocked, I researched Conway so I'd have the top gun on Tortoise straight away but I can't bring myself to carry on the line.

Shivvering #2 Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29048 battles
It's a bit meh. Dpm is nice and the armour can sometimes hold up. Sniping seems pretty bad and everyone tier 8 and up can easily pen you.

Had most fun brawling in towns with mine. The speed makes most else painful.

qqq10 #3 Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:14 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23497 battles

I only just got it, so I might change my mind after I'm finished with it, but... It feels slightly less sluggish than the AT7. The armor is just as useless in most of the games, but when sometimes you get a just right situation - noobs that can't aim, no arty and no guns that can pen you anywhere - then it could surprise you. The gun is in the middle, so you can actually shoot. On AT7 the gun traverse range was unusably small, here it's a really good 25* - peeking around a corner on full traverse somewhat increases your armor effectiveness. Soft stats are really good, you get almost no gun bloom after moving it. DPM is ridiculous, you can easily perma detrack somebody - if it's a heavier tank often you can detrack it again after he uses a repair kit. Unfortunately the pen is really only good for tier VIII. Couple that with the retarded accuracy in this game (I have 0.28. I fired 10 rounds at a Jagdtiger across the mountain pass bridge, and only two managed to hit where I meant them to...) and expensive normal ammo - 680 creds per normal one (that's only for 230 damage, and you can fire them every 4 and a bit seconds) and 4400 per gold - and you get a tank that's really expensive to run. Overall, you get a bad tank with a great (well, most of the times) gun. I don't really mind it. If it wasn't for the "new and improved" MM that 75% of the time throws you at X I might've even liked it. 

In one of my first games I managed to get 5,2k dmg on this: http://wotreplays.eu/site/3831861#teams  In the right conditions it's not hard, thanks to that DPM.

Mike_Mckay #4 Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:21 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18713 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
For a tank without a turret and the acceleration of a two storey house its still better than the line after the AT2. the armour "used" to be good(ish) but, you know, power creep. And being british its been mostly ignored

I didn't really mind the grind on console although I got sidetracked after the tortoise and haven't finished it yet, but maybe having the AT15A makes me cut it some slack

Top tier it can still play pretty well when fully upgraded especially witth the new 3/5/7 arrangement, so personally I'd say go for it, after all, it can ONLY be better than the previous tank even if its a big steaming mountain of excrement :)

Zirakss #5 Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15154 battles
  • [C__G] C__G

In the new matchmaker you are the rolling XP pineta. While your armor works against Tier VIII with some execeptions (Skorpion G, Strv S1 and such), it doesn't against the higher tiers. The youtuber AgingJedi just played 100 games and protokolled his match setups. He was top tier only in 24% of the games. In otherwords in 76% of all games the biggest selling point of your TD, your thick armor, does not work. And he played solo. In platoons it even gets worse.

The game plays now got faster and this tank is everything, but fast. There is no fast repositioning or such things. In the old days a light tank was trouble, but you had a chance to handle it with a bit of luck. Now you are facing tier VIII, IX and X light tanks. Those will think somthing like "om nom nom nom" when seeing your TD.

Arty will love you, for getting stun damage. You have to do it for some missions, but lightly armored tanks simply evaporate or flee and your team can't do any damage to them. So no stun damage for the arty player. Your tank on the other side, does not race away and has enough armor to receive a lot of hits.

And then you need a very special team setup to have a good game:

• When you get an excellent team, your rolling after the damage. There were some games, where I drove from cap point to cap point without firing my gun even once.
  • When you get a bunch of inexperienced players and a good team on the other side, you will do some damage, get flanked and die.
  • You need some balanced teams to bring your TD to good use.

clixor #6 Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Major

• Player
  • 50398 battles
I liked at-15 despite hating td's in general. Armor holds up if you have a bit of distance, otherwise everybody can just shoot cuppola.

wolfsrain #7 Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 49909 battles
  • [LASO] LASO
Great on town maps and in hiding. Not exactly recommended for brawling or out in the open. Same goes for Tortoise. The weaknesses were already detailed, so no point in repeating them. On Himmelsdorf or Ruinberg, you should be fine. Stalingrad, Kharkov, Pilsen or Paris, still okay, but not too okay. Prokhorovka and Fiery Salient are good for bush sniping, though an enemy scout that manages to get through will doom not only you but the entire flank. To perform well there, it means that you will have a really good passive scout and that you have advanced enough to actually use that spot (lots of slow TD's are camping way behind, the spoting being wasted, as the enemy will be way outside the TD's visual range). And yes, you will hurt a lot until you get your final gun,

RockyRoller #8 Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29877 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS

slow but decent.

suffers as everyone else in the MM that favours tier 10s over 8s

Aikl #9 Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

The band Iced Earth happened to bring a rather good description of the AT-line in their 1995 song Dante's Inferno:

Abandon all hope who enter here
For this is where all things are left behind
Every doubt and every cowardice must die
Souls of rage and anger whipping in despair
(...)
Drifting now deeper into eternal flames
Awake at the third circle
The cold and filthy rain
Punished for their gluttony
Languid for all time
The earth, it stinks of corpses
Damned for all time

Now for a couple of illustrations:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I sincerely hope this was of use, OP. :)

Crow_Eschatologist #10 Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23075 battles
It's utterly awful except when it can bully the crap out of lower tiers or can fire unseen (HAH!) at an exposed enemy. Rest of the time it's an XP Pinata of TOG proportions. It's also really prone to losing a loader when the weakspot is shot. I unlocked it not long after the British TDs were released, still have it at under 100k xp, it's simply that wretched.

commer #11 Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38081 battles
It's decent people just have problems with adjusting to the playstyle. First of all you have big weakspots everyone knows and a hole behind a gun means autoaim pens you but you have HP and your rof means you can permatrack anyone. Go into brawling and permatrack people in positions where they can't shoot back. It really works wonders.

Ze_HOFF_fverhoef #12 Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 15156 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I personally found the AT-7 loads of fun compared to the AT-15. AT-15 is still slow like hell, has good armour against lower tiers, but you face mostly higher tiers that have no issues penetrating you even in spots that are not weakspots. It's a tank destroyer that has hardly any positives anymore (especially after the introduction of all those new tier 8+ tanks, in addition to buffs of some other tanks).

Balc0ra #13 Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 64335 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Speed is lacking ofc. But one of it's strong points is the gun arch. Like the T28 HTC, you can move the gun in a wide arch. So you can move it so far over the side around a corner, while hiding the roof weak spot etc and letting the gun work. Gun is the second strong point is has. Much like the tier 9 "that is worth the grind more so then the 183 IMO with the 4K dpm". It's the only tank that effectively uses the 20 pounder. Pushing the DPM past 3K. Gun arch and depression is 10. So it works. But I did not use it on ridge lines that much. As it's like the M3 Lee.. the first thing they see is the roof turret weak spot.

Armor was the weakest aspect of it. As the opening in the gun mantle was 100mm thick. Now it's 200mm. And the sides on the front is a bit stronger. So not as easy to pen for most vs before. And like the AT-7. You need to hide the roof spot anyway you can, either by using a hole in the wall, or using a corner. So its best used on urban maps. But not a bad dpm sniper on the more open maps. Side and rear armor is not much to brag about vs most guns you will face. So a tool box is not the worst idea to have on it if you get flanked by a med. If you have a wall near you, it won't take you many seconds from a de-track, until you can back up to it again. And the traverse is worse then on the past AT's. So driver skills is vital to get that up. As on the more open maps... mobile tanks is worse then flank fire.

But on an urban map as top tier, or in a support role with that DPM. It's actually a fairly good TD vs the rest of the line IMO. As it's one of the few I did keep on that line.

Edited by Balc0ra, 19 September 2017 - 11:50 AM.

Crow_Eschatologist #14 Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23075 battles

View Postcommer, on 19 September 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

It's decent people just have problems with adjusting to the playstyle. First of all you have big weakspots everyone knows and a hole behind a gun means autoaim pens you but you have HP and your rof means you can permatrack anyone. Go into brawling and permatrack people in positions where they can't shoot back. It really works wonders.

It does have moments where it is good, killing an E75 1v1 by permatracking him around a corner from full hp was sweet - but it doesn't happen often.

lnfernaI #15 Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 28132 battles
  • [ALLGE] ALLGE

FV4005 Stage II will stay in the game.

Why exactly grind turret-less TDs,when you can get things like Charioteer and Conway?

Sfinski #16 Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 30913 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

View PostlnfernaI, on 19 September 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

FV4005 Stage II will stay in the game.

Why exactly grind turret-less TDs,when you can get things like Charioteer and Conway?

Maybe for the free t10?

lnfernaI #17 Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 28132 battles
  • [ALLGE] ALLGE

View PostSfinski, on 19 September 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

Maybe for the free t10?

Still doesn't change the logic of the current time,which is,turretless TDs suck. Waste of time.

Why did i drive 15cm HEAT Rhm again...?

Edited by lnfernaI, 19 September 2017 - 12:21 PM.

arthurwellsley #18 Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

Major

• Player
  • 51259 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-

Good gun, nice ROF, use to track, damage, track, damage rinse and repeat.

Unreliable armour.

Slow so pick out where you are going early, so that you can aim to get there soonTM

Matcorr #19 Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22746 battles
Well I bought it, seems alright so far but I'm probably gonna regret it especially since I'm only on a standard account

zauliuz #20 Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 44339 battles
hello. i'm also decided that it's TIME to get the mighty death star, but there is a question, that tank will stay in game or it will be replaced like happened with waffle e100.. and ofc any time frames when this change will happen?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users