Gears & Cannons

support better game audio voiceover sound & more

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Derethim #1 Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16426 battles

So, I'm a bit of a sound junkie. And I find World of Tanks, World of Warplanes and even World of Warships lacking in sound variety and quality.

I really don't know why would you only have a few guns sounds and that is, per calibre. Surely the French 75mm and the Japanese 7.5cm would sound a bit different IRL?

I mean, at this point of the game's development, it would at least be nice to have different gun sounds not just per calibre, but at least per calibre & nation too. Same with engine sounds.

And oh the engine sounds.

There is only one reason the tanks in this game all sound like lawn mowers (light tanks, meds, TDs) or tractors (heavy tanks) and that is, they lack any gear-changing sound, which even the old Battlefield games have. Driving my Stug IV feels like this..

And don't even get me started on the voiceover. The existing tank sounds can still be reused ofc, for at least one of the nations or, for the engine sounds, for lower tiers, but the voiceover is really anti-immersive, with most of the female voiceovers sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks all over again.

The sounds in WoT make it seem like you're playing on a big, virtual playground.

Also, take in consideration, that WG surely has a dev team focused on audio, so adding more sound variety and better voiceover wouldn't hinder the balance department or anything else for that matter.

Imagine the ingame M4, sounding like this:

Or Russian tier V to VIII heavy tanks sounding like this:

The whole sound can actually be cleaned and extracted from the video and it will sound way better, than anything in the game right now.

More sounds, this time the american engines:

(You have to go to youtube to watch this one)
I don't think a vehicle able to crush cars under it's own threads should sound like a lawn mower.

Edited by Derethim, 19 September 2017 - 12:49 AM.

ricoBenitez1 #2 Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 506 battles

Block Quote

The sounds in WoT make it seem like you're playing on a big, virtual playground

big news flash you are playing on a virtual playground,  and since wot is a arcade game and not a sim forget to get 100% real sounds.

Joggaman #3 Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 22490 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I also used to think the engines sounded not very tank-like. But then I went to last year's Tankfest, and had a real ear opener on how good the in game sounds really are!

Get yourself a good headset/speakers and adjust the sound-settings. This game actually sounds pretty good. 

Yakito #4 Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18021 battles
I wholeheartedly agree. Its been a while. We need more powerful sounds. More unique to each tank and more realistic.

Derethim #5 Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16426 battles

View PostricoBenitez1, on 19 September 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

big news flash you are playing on a virtual playground,  and since wot is a arcade game and not a sim forget to get 100% real sounds.

Who said I wanted 100% real sounds?

Tanks in WoT have a small pool of sounds they pick from, there's low variety and all of them sound the same.

ricoBenitez1 #6 Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 506 battles

View PostDerethim, on 19 September 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

Who said I wanted 100% real sounds?

Tanks in WoT have a small pool of sounds they pick from, there's low variety and all of them sound the same.

What do you expect for a arcade game beeing focused for potatoecomputers.

NervosCuNervii #7 Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21833 battles
  • [D57T] D57T
In the past I've used the Kriegstriber sound mods as the in-game sound was bad-ish. Now I no longer use any kind of mods as WoT has come a long way, especially when it comes to sound.
Yeah, the 100mm guns sound like bottle water rockets but everything else is OK. The game sounds very nice on a subwoofer enabled system with tweaks made on the audio card, that's how I play it at least.

Agent_327 #8 Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16268 battles
  • [CAF] CAF
Well the sounds could use a overhaul. But they should start with the obvious that the Petro-electrical engines (Almost all German (p) types) sound like an ordinary gas engine. If a petrol-electrical engine is strained the gas engine would just spin faster to produce more power to the electric engine running the drive train. As it is now it just sound like a straining gas engine  :confused: This is the most annoying sound and I hate driving uphill in my Ferdinand as it sounds all wrong to me.. :mellow:

Derethim #9 Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:26 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16426 battles

View PostNervosCuNervii, on 19 September 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

In the past I've used the Kriegstriber sound mods as the in-game sound was bad-ish. Now I no longer use any kind of mods as WoT has come a long way, especially when it comes to sound.
Yeah, the 100mm guns sound like bottle water rockets but everything else is OK. The game sounds very nice on a subwoofer enabled system with tweaks made on the audio card, that's how I play it at least.

I'm mainly talking about the lack of variety ... like

Every 75mm gun on german and french tanks sounds the same.

Even though it's a completely different tank/gun!! 

And

EDIT: SORyy am drtunk

Edited by Derethim, 20 September 2017 - 12:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users