Are some heads about to fall (again) at WG HQs?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

japtank #1 Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27619 battles

Watching some streamers yesterday late, I noticed that from rank 3 on only blue and unicums are still playing ranked.

And they don't enjoy it.

Third stage of beta for a mode a negligible fraction of the playerbase will only reluctantly play?

If there's still a design boss at WG, he should take his responsabilities, chop some heads and hire competent designers.

It's almost as if, once profitable, gaming companies lose their creativity.

Not that WoT is a mindblowing innovation though, but it's a huge success nonetheless.

One could think they should invest in young, creative, brilliant minds.

They don't.

That reminds me of World of Warcraft.

The original game was earth-shattering.

Over the years, it looks like 'consultants' have taken over, all creativity has been lost and the game is slowly dying.

Slowly, like WoT, but dying, like WoT.

Heavyweights should attract more gamers than they lose over the years, renewing themselves.

It seems they are unable to.

Flabbergasting :ohmy:

Edit stupid typo 'dieing', there's nothing to colour here :p

Edited by japtank, 20 September 2017 - 09:56 PM.

RamRaid90 #2 Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20253 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjaptank, on 20 September 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

Slowly, like WoT, but dieing, like WoT.

WoT is not a dying game. In any sense of the word, and you cannot spin any official numbers to validate this ridiculous argument.

Homer_J #3 Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27485 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjaptank, on 20 September 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

Watching some streamers yesterday late, I noticed that from rank 3 on only blue and unicums are still playing ranked.

I thought that was the point of it being ranked, that only the good players would go up through the ranks?

And they don't enjoy it.

To be fair, very few good players ever asked for skill based matchmaking.  Those who are playing ranked are doing it to earn bonds, which makes it poorly paid work, and once a hobby becomes work it has a habit of losing it's appeal.

Once the plebs realise they are destined to, at best bounce between rank 1 and 2 then they will lose interest.

The main game however shows no signs of dying.  WG hit on a magic formula completely by accident, every other mode apart from short term fun modes has been a failure.

Edited by Homer_J, 20 September 2017 - 05:05 PM.

Hellfoxe #4 Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 22591 battles

And they don't enjoy it.

Third stage of beta for a mode a negligible fraction of the playerbase will only reluctantly play?

If there's still a design boss at WG, he should take his responsabilities, chop some heads and hire competent designers.

It's almost as if, once profitable, gaming companies lose their creativity.

Not that WoT is a mindblowing innovation though, but it's a huge success nonetheless.

One could think they should invest in young, creative, brilliant minds.

They don't.

Over the years, it looks like 'consultants' have taken over, all creativity has been lost and the game is slowly dieing.

Heavyweights should attract more gamers than they lose over the years, renewing themselves.

It seems they are unable to.

Flabbergasting :ohmy:

World of Warcraft is older then WoT and against new games like playerunknown's battlegrounds and league of legends who are new and fresh games which attract new gamers who are searching for a challenge. Wot have only 4 maps, 3 battle modes and nobody spend time and money to research and unlock a tier x tank just to play ranked battles. 

Edited by Hellfoxe, 20 September 2017 - 05:07 PM.

stevek34 #5 Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 7690 battles
  • [ESTE] ESTE
It is actually sad to see this happening. I have been here pretty much since the beginning. And I feel like all the hype I had is fading away. I hope one-day WG understands what they are doing is wrong.:(

clixor #6 Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:28 PM

Major

• Player
  • 50168 battles

And they don't enjoy it.

Bolded the important part. Nobody is getting fired over something that they are TRYING.

And in all reality, the majority on the forums here actually wanted chevron gain for losses removed. Now it turns outs it isn't working. For all we know this could be changed next week already.

Last part, unicorns crying. With equal opposition winrates will gravitate to 50% - ish. And if you are used to winning close to 70% of your games than ofcourse losing a lot less is not something you would enjoy.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27175 battles

And they don't enjoy it.

What? You seriously suggesting that playing the ranked battles sorts out the good players from the bad? Allowing the better players to progress faster, thereby separating the two such that in higher ranks you'll find a greater percentage of good players??

What is this magic?????

Balc0ra #8 Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 63736 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I suspect not many good players enjoy it. Because it's not ranked vs your service record etc. But ranked separated from randoms. Then again, I highly doubt many would find it more fun if they got mostly teamed up vs equally "skilled" players in terms of service record ratings and WR.

Over the years, it looks like 'consultants' have taken over, all creativity has been lost and the game is slowly dieing.

Heavyweights should attract more gamers than they lose over the years, renewing themselves

And yet that game is still going. 10 + years is not bad for any MMO. Tho for the last 3 years, Blizzard has not shared player numbers. But considering how well Overwatch and Heroes of the storm does financially with their "loot" boxes. They can keep WOW going for many years still. Heck you should have seen how much they made on SC2's loot boxes related to the finals. Financially for an MMO, WOT is doing rather well. Heck if it was "bad", WOWP would have shut down ages ago. As not many MMO's would stay up with 3K players on peak hours each day for long.

Nishi_Kinuyo #9 Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 7252 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostBalc0ra, on 20 September 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

Financially for an MMO, WOT is doing rather well. Heck if it was "bad", WOWP would have shut down ages ago. As not many MMO's would stay up with 3K players on peak hours each day for long.

Not to even mention doing the entire WoWP 2.0 thing they're doing right now.

So clearly, they see some value left in that game, otherwise it would've been shutdown like that cardgame we used to have.

Also, comparing active player numbers for the past years with this year so far, there isn't much difference in WoT to indicate any form of it "dying".

Infact, I can argue it does better this year than it did last year, possibly due to 9.18 matchmaking changes and the christmas tree event.

Derethim #10 Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:26 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16805 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 20 September 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

WoT is seeing a decline in the incoming, new playerbase.

Do you know why?

Top reasons are, that tier I to IV are quite boring and extremely unbalanced, detering new players, who struggle against purple and blue pros with 50K battles sealclubbing in their B2s and Pz S35s.

The second reason is the lack of fun and new game mechanics, like the Campaign mode (which is awesome) or Strongholds - 30 player battles for only tier X is catering to already existing audience and nobody asked for it really. And nobody even thought it would be a good idea. Imagine the flaming the "almighty judges" of this forum would commit to, if someone posted in the suggestions a suggestion like "How about 30vs30 battles?". It was a bad idea after all.

Third reason is, people are tired of the ammount of new premium tanks being released and re-released as nothing feels like a unique tank anymore.

The marathon missions are great, but it's a frail initiative from WG, they should do more and try more - they are rich now, after all.

Fourth reason is promises unkept - dual gun support? A promise from 2011. Havoc physics? Where are they?

I know a guy, who owns a bar. It exists since 2009 and used to be one of the best places in the city. It's slowly closing now, because instead of him working in the bar and making events in it and inviting people, he's slacked off, put someone else to work for him as he now has enough money to pay for someone else running the place and doesen't care anymore - no events, no new stuff, he just keeps the bar running for the existing clientelle. Which is useless as even they'll leave eventually.

In one or two years, the ammount of new players will be lower the ammount of players leaving WoT and then it will start dying.

Edited by Derethim, 20 September 2017 - 08:28 PM.

BravelyRanAway #11 Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22291 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postjaptank, on 20 September 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

And they don't enjoy it.

Oh com'on!........they always wanted to play against their peers........didn't they?:trollface:

japtank #12 Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27619 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 20 September 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

I thought that was the point of it being ranked, that only the good players would go up through the ranks?

Fair enough, but at rank 3?

I made it to rank 4 last season with minimal effort, now I can't be arsed going past rank 2.

tankqull #13 Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 19903 battles
  • [-FD-] -FD-

View Postjaptank, on 20 September 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

I made it to rank 4 last season with minimal effort, now I can't be arsed going past rank 2.

thats the system of that game mode the number of players per rank are tied to the total number of players participating. and as alot of the mentioned "scrubs" do no longer participate as they did in the first instance alot of the players that "feel" they deserve a higher rank are bound to the scrubranks due to that number limitation. e.g. in the first iteration 500 players could reach the highest rank equal to 5% of the participating player base, these 5% now equals only to 50 players...

xX_All_is_Dust_Xx #14 Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3696 battles

View PostNishi_Kinuyo, on 20 September 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Not to even mention doing the entire WoWP 2.0 thing they're doing right now.

So clearly, they see some value left in that game, otherwise it would've been shutdown like that cardgame we used to have.

Also, comparing active player numbers for the past years with this year so far, there isn't much difference in WoT to indicate any form of it "dying".

Infact, I can argue it does better this year than it did last year, possibly due to 9.18 matchmaking changes and the christmas tree event.

so in sept 2014 there was 1000k players

in sept 2015 there was 975k

sept 2016 there was 850k

sept 2017 there was 825k

hmm no decrease there

Homer_J #15 Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27485 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postjaptank, on 20 September 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

Rank 4 with your recents seems a bit high, I'd expect rank 3 if you pushed yourself but certainly bobs like you and I shouldn't be expecting to get to rank 5.  But then I've never had any interest in any ranking system.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users