Is this 'Ranked battles' mode really gonna work? ...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Is this 'Ranked battles' mode really gonna work? ... (83 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

What do you think of ranked battles?

1. Really like it and intend to continue playing for the forseeable future. (6 votes [7.23%])

Percentage of vote: 7.23%

2. Probably play until I get a piece of improved equipment then I doubt I'll continue. (18 votes [21.69%])

Percentage of vote: 21.69%

3. Don't like it, don't play it. (59 votes [71.08%])

Percentage of vote: 71.08%

Vote Hide poll

Wintermute_1 #1 Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41489 battles

... I really have my doubts. I didn't even notice that they had started the ranked season until today and my motivation to play this game mode is 'lacking' to say the least. I think the only thing keeping me playing is the idea that sometime in the distant future I might obtain enough bonds to get an improved piece of equipment. But once I get that piece of equipment I'm absolutely certain I'll never play a ranked game again.

When you consider that: 

1) Like 75%ish of WoT players I don't run a premium account which makes ranked battles a credit sink (especially if you have to spam a bit of gold to avoid finishing in a position you don't want to) and

2) Losing chevrons under certain circumstances is more annoying than losing in random games.

A bit of equipment that takes ages to grind and makes very little difference to my gaming experience doesn't outweigh the 2 points above imo.

Just got a feeling it'll be axed after a while, either that or it'll become the territory of a very small minority of players.  

Edited by Wintermute_1, 20 September 2017 - 08:23 PM.

japtank #2 Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27611 battles

Watching 'some streamer' yesterday, he noticed he had spent over 2 millions credits over the course of the evening.

If the mode was truly fair, which means no tanks everybody can't get, free ammo/food (or cheaper, or whatever) I would play it for sure.

How it stands now, I can't afford it (with premium of course).

Edited by japtank, 20 September 2017 - 08:49 PM.

Wintermute_1 #3 Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41489 battles

View Postjaptank, on 20 September 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

Watching 'some streamer' yesterday, he noticed he had spent over 2 millions credits over the course of the evening.

If the mode was truly fair, which means no tanks everybody can't get, free ammo/food (or cheaper, or whatever) I would play it for sure.

How it stands now, I can't afford it (with premium of course).

​Hmmm a frustrating process of gaining and losing chevrons which costs a ton of credits with a mediocre reward that takes ages to get. For the average player on a standard account, where's the fun in it?

Brodie_ #4 Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 76129 battles

How are you guys playing ranked doing for silver?

Especially considering your tier 8 premium tanks are screwed by the matchmaker so much right now...

I doubt there could possibly be any connection...

(Yes! Some people say Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I have no problem at all with that...)

I was not aware that Gold burned so well...

(Actually I am! I have a Deathstar...)   ;)

Edited by Brodie_, 20 September 2017 - 09:57 PM.

Aikl #5 Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostWintermute_1, on 20 September 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

​Hmmm a frustrating process of gaining and losing chevrons which costs a ton of credits with a mediocre reward that takes ages to get. For the average player on a standard account, where's the fun in it?

Pretty sure WG isn't too worried about "the average freeloader" not being able to play a "endgame mode". The only real attraction (beyond grinding guns on T10 tanks) for me is the ranking itself. I could care less about bonds, it's ultimately of very limited use to those who don't need the extra edge in clan wars and the like.

As a concept I agree RBs are a bit 'thin', even if some of the rewards are better now than last round. But hey, seems like there are enough players going for them regardless, and any return on what is essentially an UI tracking a limited random battles mode is probably considered a success - chances are that RBs and grand battles are more a testing phase for the Frontline mode that is slowly slipping into vapourware........

Wintermute_1 #6 Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:35 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41489 battles

View PostAikl, on 20 September 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

Pretty sure WG isn't too worried about "the average freeloader" not being able to play a "endgame mode". The only real attraction (beyond grinding guns on T10 tanks) for me is the ranking itself. I could care less about bonds, it's ultimately of very limited use to those who don't need the extra edge in clan wars and the like.

As a concept I agree RBs are a bit 'thin', even if some of the rewards are better now than last round. But hey, seems like there are enough players going for them regardless, and any return on what is essentially an UI tracking a limited random battles mode is probably considered a success - chances are that RBs and grand battles are more a testing phase for the Frontline mode that is slowly slipping into vapourware........

I'm not sure you can brand people without premium accounts 'free loaders'. I for one have spent a few hundred quid on gold and premium tanks without regularly shelling out for premium time. 

I dont know how popular RBs are, it would be interesting to see the number of them that are played over time. I wouldnt be at all surprised to see it go the way of Rampage or whatever it was called, especially if its only played by prem time players and doesnt attract any new ones.

Brodie_ #7 Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:11 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 76129 battles

Something I used to like a lot with my 1st clan, was playing with the wide variety of different characters that we had.

Some were from the UK like me.

A lot were from all over Europe.

Some were from North Africa.

One was from Iran.

A number of them were teenagers that did not have a lot of money to spend.

Most were not rich!

These guys all brought something to the game that was not money!

They made it a far richer experience for me than money could!

People go on about free loaders! LOL!

Without them there would not be a game to play!

Some people think that they are so much better than others!

As soon as you do that!

YOUR NOT!!!

I have spent a fair ammount on Premium tanks & prem account.

Does that make me more worthy???

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Brodie_, 21 September 2017 - 01:13 AM.

Pansenmann #8 Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:28 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33289 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I managed rank 1 yesterday,

got 2 chevrons today, which I lost direcly afterwards with E-100.

I dont play more than let's say 5 ranked battles a day.

Dont want to risk permanent mental problems.

xx984 #9 Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 50919 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN
I currently only play it to get the credit reserves at rank 4, same with the first season. if i get into the season leaders so be it, but thats not my main concern. Ill get some bonds along the way from getting to rank 4 and if i can be arsed to go any higher

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:02 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26628 battles

View PostBrodie_, on 20 September 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

How are you guys playing ranked doing for silver?

Especially considering your tier 8 premium tanks are screwed by the matchmaker so much right now...

I'm fine for credits. I don't understand this strange fascination with firing gold at literally everything that seems to be ranked meta. I've been firing no more gold than any other time, played 21 games so far and on rank 3 and any credit loss I've made over those games is made up by the rank reward. If anything I near enough break even.

Mike_Mckay #11 Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16814 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostBrodie_, on 21 September 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

Something I used to like a lot with my 1st clan, was playing with the wide variety of different characters that we had.

Some were from the UK like me.

A lot were from all over Europe.

Some were from North Africa.

One was from Iran.

A number of them were teenagers that did not have a lot of money to spend.

Most were not rich!

These guys all brought something to the game that was not money!

They made it a far richer experience for me than money could!

People go on about free loaders! LOL!

Without them there would not be a game to play!

Some people think that they are so much better than others!

As soon as you do that!

YOUR NOT!!!

I have spent a fair ammount on Premium tanks & prem account.

Does that make me more worthy???

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

The idea that without "freeloaders" there wouldn't be a game is utter nonsense

There wouldn't be a game in its current model, but that's all. MOST games can ONLY be played if you actually buy them, they still exist despite the complete 100% lack of "freeloaders". So all that would change is that instead of trying to gouge as much cash as possible from the few that do actually spend money WG would just alter their business model to be more affordable for MUCH more people and make the same if not more profit from higher amounts of sales for much lower amounts of money or would just adopt the more normal business model where a modest amount gets you the game then every year a similar amount gets you the "access pass" which gives you all of that years premiums for a fixed amount with boosts and cosmetic items being another revenue line

gagahauba #12 Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:51 AM

Private

• Player
  • 55805 battles
Ranked battles mode sucks, Wargaming failed again.

NiemandXL #13 Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:54 AM

Major

• Player
  • 37955 battles

View Postjaptank, on 20 September 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

I lost +800k yesterday playing ranked and I have a premium account and do not spam premium ammo mindlessly. I'm close to tank 5 yet I'm really not sure if the effort is worth it. The credit losing part is a huge downside for me because grinding credits has become so painful thanks to the new matchmaker.

Something WG could do to get more people to play ranked battles would be to turn up the credit multiplier for it. I really hate those stupid Type 5 tanks, not just are they not fun to play against but the amount of credits you lose per battle usually correlates to how many of those load-gold-or-don't-pen-tanks are on the enemy team.

Homer_J #14 Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postxx984, on 21 September 2017 - 01:30 AM, said:

I currently only play it to get the credit reserves at rank 4,

How many credits are you burning through to get those extra credit reserves?

Surely you'd be better off just playing randoms in a premium tank.

japtank #15 Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27611 battles

View PostAikl, on 20 September 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

But hey, seems like there are enough players going for them regardless

At rank 5 it's always the same players, you are guaranteed to play against your friends even when not queuing at the same time.

So the population playing the mode seems negligible.

No company develops anything for a negligible fraction of its playerbase.

The mode will never see daylight in its current incarnation.

Geno1isme #16 Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 40105 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Postjaptank, on 21 September 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

At rank 5 it's always the same players, you are guaranteed to play against your friends even when not queuing at the same time.

Well, population surely got reduced compared to season 1. But also the vast majority of people playing this mode are trapped between rank 1-3 due to the changed chevron distribution, unlike the previous season where almost everyone slowly gravitated to rank 5, and the way toward rank 5 also became significantly longer as well.

View Postjaptank, on 21 September 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

That was pretty obvious with the current mechanics even in season 1, this season might as well be the last if they don't change the mechanics fundamentally.

Aikl #17 Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostWintermute_1, on 20 September 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

I'm not sure you can brand people without premium accounts 'free loaders'. I for one have spent a few hundred quid on gold and premium tanks without regularly shelling out for premium time. 

I dont know how popular RBs are, it would be interesting to see the number of them that are played over time. I wouldnt be at all surprised to see it go the way of Rampage or whatever it was called, especially if its only played by prem time players and doesnt attract any new ones.

I did notice you have a few premium tanks, the 'freeloader' part wasn't specific to the ones not paying for a premium account at this very moment. The quotation marks were meant to imply it was Wargaming's view of how the "endgame content" by and large isn't for the ones willing to spend money on  the game continously.

View PostBrodie_, on 21 September 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

Spoiler

Nice post, but you're missing the point. This topic is about ranked battles, which many of us agree is a pointless credit sink that only makes sense to play for, more or less, the competitive elite - or can be afforded to play by players that spend a lot of money. Hence why, and I quote myself, " WG isn't too worried about "the average freeloader" not being able to play a "endgame mode"." Do you get it now, or do you feel the need for another poetic (and well-written) wall of text? :)

For what it's worth, I don't really give a darn what people spend and what not, as long as they don't whine about a 'free-to-play' game being hard to play for free with a pretty obvious 'freemium' model. That's a conscious choice, and it's no secret that the return in gameplay value is diminishing the more you spend.

View Postjaptank, on 21 September 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

No company develops anything for a negligible fraction of its playerbase.

That ain't much fun, though it's only been, what, three days of ranked battles so far? The point is that the mode might have a fair bit of testing value.

Second, even if there aren't a lot of players in the mode, they might use a ton of credits per player. For a game mode that doesn't really bring anything new besides the "competitive" aspect (and hence isn't meant to attract most players in the first place), success could likely be measured in terms of how much of a credit drain it is.

OreH75 #18 Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46164 battles
  • [3V] 3V

Played 11 games of ranked battles in my T-100LT and made ~270k credits (while 50% creditboost was running) so that would be ~180k without boost and even +90k without premium.

I will play only light this season as long as there are 2 arties per team and with the current slow heavy meta 2k spot and 1k dmg is almost a guarenteed Top 10 win or Top 5 lost.

Edited by OreH75, 21 September 2017 - 10:40 AM.

Wintermute_1 #19 Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 41489 battles

View PostAikl, on 21 September 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

I did notice you have a few premium tanks, the 'freeloader' part wasn't specific to the ones not paying for a premium account at this very moment. The quotation marks were meant to imply it was Wargaming's view of how the "endgame content" by and large isn't for the ones willing to spend money on  the game continously.

Tbh I think players like me deserve a bit of end game content too, ok £200 isn't mega amounts over a 5 year period and I do view this as relatively good value for money for the hours I've played the game. But once I've paid for the original game, happily pay £30, all I'm getting is access to play against other players over the WG server. Say I play for another 2 years (my interest is already waning), that's about £21 per year, excluding the initial price of the game and assuming I don't spend any more money. That's not bad per player for simply acting as a server host. 

It's not like the game is very different from the one I got 5 years ago, marginally improved graphics, a few extra tanks and maps. Where's my money gone, bar the server access? Possibly into a whole series of aborted attempts to implement additional game modes.

If WG (I appreciate you are playing devils advocate in this case) want to make any more money out of standard account players like myself they are going to have to improve our experience of the game not make it worse in the hopes that we'll get pissed off and buy premium time to alleviate our suffering in certain game modes.

VeryRisky #20 Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

General

• Player
  • 17107 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostOreH75, on 21 September 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

Played 11 games of ranked battles in my T-100LT and made ~270k credits (while 50% creditboost was running) so that would be ~180k without boost and even +90k without premium.

I will play only light this season as long as there are 2 arties per team and with the current slow heavy meta 2k spot and 1k dmg is almost a guarenteed Top 10 win or Top 5 lost.

50%Credit Boost doesn't boost your net income but the gross, so you will find that you would have made far, far less without the booster.

For example if we have before boost or premium:

Income: 30k

Repair: 25k

Ammo:10k

Net: 5k loss

with a booster or premium that will be

Income: 45k

Repair: 25k

Ammo:10k

Net: 10k profit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users