Why Is Arty Hated So Much?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
555 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18619 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Is this hatred more a case of the popular thing to do rather than players genuinely loathing artillery? I mean.. they piz me off too at times but I love having a good arty player on my team they create openings in an otherwise stalemate of boredom and defensive minded players.. stunned, get at him, lovely, thank you arty. They also annoy and force away fat Type5 campers on corridor maps and lets be honest we all LOVE a free feast of xp from an arty nest at the end of a succesful battle, it's not like you don't get to have your wicked veneful fun with them and savor every HE burning shot you blast off them at the end lol! It's one of my favorite parts of the game is arty hunting at the end of a battle.. you know that they know what's coming and are trembling in the corner of the map lol!

Would the game REALLY be better off without these lovable little scamps?

Edited by TungstenHitman, 22 September 2017 - 11:03 AM.

Taudlitz #2 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20170 battles
yes, genuine hatred for arty. yes, game would be better without it.

Kozzy #3 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 38497 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

You're new here: 08-28-2016

Try the search function to find 1,000s of threads discussing the issues in great length, over many years.

IncandescentGerbil #4 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35597 battles
Got TK'd by my own arty recently when circle strafing the last enemy tank for my sixth kill. He hadn't marked his target naturally, but in any case why should I have moved when the enemy only needed one more shot and I had his rear? Spg guy said "whoops lol" in chat. Pretty much sums it up for me.
Good arty players are fine. No problem with them. It's just that 90% are risk-averse dimwits who bring nothing to the game at all.

K_A #5 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13566 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I like to play arty whenever I get bored of playing and want to take a break.

laulaur #6 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46450 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX

View PostTungstenHitman, on 22 September 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Is this hatred more a case of the popular thing to do rather than players genuinely loathing artillery? I mean.. they piz me off too at times but I love having a good arty player on my team they create openings in an otherwise stalemate of boredom and defensive minded players.. stunned, get at him, lovely, thank you arty. 

I do not hate when i am hit by any class of vehicle in this game, EXCEPT arty. Being hit by a [edited] who camps in the corner of the map, in the safety provided by his team and 3 hills is NOT FUN. You can fight back at any class of vehicle in this game, except arty. This is plain broken, is like having a invulnerability field, or using cheats to shoot through walls..

Thank you arty for what? They just help themselves by getting xp and money from stun/track damage. Tx but i would gladly not having this 'help' if this means having no arty.

Block Quote

They also annoy and force away fat Type5 campers on corridor maps

Yeah, sure. Arty takes 5 minutes to kill a superheavy - but takes 1-2 shots to kill a light or med... So much about preventing camping...

Arty is just preventing aggressive play, as mostly the most aggressive players get punished by arty.

Block Quote

and lets be honest we all LOVE a free feast of xp from an arty nest at the end of a succesful battle, it's not like you don't get to have your wicked veneful fun with them and savor every HE burning shot you blast off them at the end lol! It's one of my favorite parts of the game is arty hunting at the end of a battle.. you know that they know what's coming and are trembling in the corner of the map lol!

That if the arty nest does not shoot you, take the last bit of your hp and kill you. Maybe for camping players who usually are full hp at the end of the game is fun to get after arty and seal-club them, but not so fun when you have just a little hp left and the scumbag kills you.

Not so fun to get killed by a bush camping clicker after you fought bravely against the enemy tanks for the whole game.

Block Quote

Would the game REALLY be better off without these lovable little scamps?

YES.

jack_timber #7 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31141 battles

There appears to be, from some, an absolute hatred. Can't quite figure out why though. Since the recent nerfs arty is less potent than it once was. However folks seem to have a 'bad' battle then come onto forum to vent their anger/frustration at arty. It stunned me, it detracking me, it's targeting me rather than X,Y or Z etc, etc.

Everyone to their own but the complainers only strengthen my resolve to play more arty as I quite enjoy the challenge of playing arty.

Next thing will be what challenge? flaming clickers...

Havoc7926 #8 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13083 battles
  • [OLDG] OLDG

I don't hate Arty in principle.  It's rare that the arty player and the rest of the team sync up so they work together but when they do it can be quite impressive and, in my opinion, add something to the game.

However I do hate multiple arty per side games.  I think this is where the problems start.  With multiple arty as soon as you are seen the shells start raining down and there are enough arty to make it constant.  You can't move, you can't escape the focus and even if they don't kill you they render you useless for the rest of the game by stealing most of your hit points.  This is not fun and the only way to 'avoid' that focus is not to be the person they see and therefore you are reduced to 'Kemp Boosh' and 'Red Line Warrior' game-play.

I'd prefer it if there was a maximum of 2 arty per side and would really like just 1.  I mean consider this:  The game works ok with no arty, it's not broken by a single arty, 2 of them can be annoying but you can work around it and 3 breaks it to the point of me not wanting to play at all.  It's the disproportionate effect they have in multiples that I believe is the source of a lot of the hate.

laulaur #9 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46450 battles
  • [FOXX] FOXX

View Postjack_timber, on 22 September 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

There appears to be, from some, an absolute hatred. Can't quite figure out why though. Since the recent nerfs arty is less potent than it once was.

Nope bro, arty was in fact buffed - not nerfed at all.

Let's take a look at the changes applied to arty:

nerfs: -removed AP shells

-decreased HE shells penetration

-decreased HE shells damage

buffs: +faster reload time

+faster aiming time

+largely increased splash radius

+increased shell speed

+added stun mechanic

+splash and stun damage now ignore solid obstacles like houses, rocks, etc.

Block Quote

Everyone to their own but the complainers only strengthen my resolve to play more arty as I quite enjoy the challenge of playing arty.

The what? Challenge of playing arty? lol

Where/what is the challenge?

LATER EDIT: I was wrong about increased shell speed. But look at the splash radius, it is double...

Edited by laulaur, 23 September 2017 - 12:53 AM.

japtank #10 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27611 battles

Arty is hated because if makes maps smaller.

If you don't understand that, nothing can be done for you, really.

cro001 #11 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27853 battles
All my good scores were where there was 0 arty in game.

Bora_BOOM #12 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 20173 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I haven’t played arty up to 13k games in total. Got it only cause of the missions female crew members. Stayed at T6 (M44) and although I can unlock/buy further I am not planning to.

With total of only around 300 games played in arty (200 in M44) here are my observations:

- I hate more heaving it as an enemy than I like playing it

- since arty cant be countered properly its an unfair advantage. Dunno, maybe somehow showing its approximate location (light the minimap square) or forcing it to relocate after several shots might work

- stunning without a direct hit is bad, especially when targets are behind obstacles - it is wrong mechanics. Fix it. But its better than one-shot for sure....

- I have like 60% WR in last 100 games with it... It is a small sample size I know, but after only 200 games I have managed achieve that? Much skill involved... Yeah...  I even got the Gore’s medal ffs.

- the only good thing is it has made me learn a bit more how to protect myself from being shot by arty

So, would game be better without it... Probably, since every time there is none on (open) maps, games are somehow better.

The only downside would be completely excluding the whole concept out of the game regardless the bad aspects. So, a rework, something to change, limit the number at 2 per team, limit the number of shots per game preventing the spam and blind shots... Just for keeping the branch alive. ... Maybe.

Edited by Bora_BOOM, 22 September 2017 - 12:15 PM.

Jumping_Turtle #13 Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 58563 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 22 September 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Good arty players are fine. No problem with them. It's just that 90% are risk-averse dimwits who bring nothing to the game at all.

But that has nothing to do with arty. It's the players.

I have been killed by a friendly player in a tank with a derp gun when I was facehugging an enemy also when he thought lets fire a HE shell there.....

DracheimFlug #14 Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 8925 battles
Sometimes I think that the majority of players think they are playing some sort of medieval combat game, of honorable personal combat on open fields, rather than WWII and later. 

Spurtung #15 Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 60054 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostBora_BOOM, on 22 September 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

- the only good thing is it has made me learn a bit more how to protect myself from being shot by arty

Finally something worthy came from your experience. Isn't it interesting that players that play arties also don't get hit by them as often? And no, it's not because they're camping the redline with a TD.

TungstenHitman #16 Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18619 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View Postlaulaur, on 22 September 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

Being hit by a [edited] who camps in the corner of the map, in the safety provided by his team and 3 hills is NOT FUN. You can fight back at any class of vehicle in this game, except arty.

Is a high camo TD you can't see or do anything about it's different? How about a light tank that takes up a forward position and camps bush, his passive scouting may well be the reason you are eating arty bombs and shots from other tanks, is he different? He isn't doing anything other than parking his high camo backside in a bush and sipping coffee, the TD is camping bush and knocking the stuffing out of your tank from miles away where you will never see him, should all these be removed too?

Edit- I meant passive scouting

Edited by TungstenHitman, 22 September 2017 - 12:27 PM.

Sharp1903 #17 Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36800 battles

TungstenHitman #18 Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18619 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostBora_BOOM, on 22 September 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

- since arty cant be countered properly its an unfair advantage. Dunno, maybe somehow showing its approximate location (light the minimap square) or forcing it to relocate after several shots might work

- stunning without a direct hit is bad, especially when targets are behind obstacles - it is wrong mechanics. Fix it. But its better than one-shot for sure....

This all makes sense it really does, love that having to move off after a few shots idea. I never knew they could hit you behind obstacles that's just plain stupid any which way you look at it

Havoc7926 #19 Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13083 battles
  • [OLDG] OLDG

View PostTungstenHitman, on 22 September 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

Yet when a high camo TD you can't see or do anything about it's different? How about a light tank that takes up a forward position and camps bush, actively scouting is ultimately the reason you are eating arty bombs, is he different? He isn't doing anything other than parking his high camo backside in a bush and sipping coffee, the TD is camping bush and knocking the stuffing out of your tank from miles away where you will never see him, should all these be removed too?

For me personally if I think I'm being spotted I can at least blind fire the boosh I think the light is sipping his coffee in.  If I'm worried about TD's I can try and move forward using cover (not always easy in some maps).  I can't really do anything about arty because there are very few arty safe positions and even if you find one then you are stuck there.

EDIT: which brings me back to my first point about the number of arty.  If there is just one I can repair and hope to move, hide or otherwise force them to look somewhere else for an easier shot.  If there are 3 then I'm getting stunned and losing modules before I can even move away from the spot.

Edited by Havoc7926, 22 September 2017 - 12:22 PM.

HeidenSieker #20 Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View Postlaulaur, on 22 September 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Let's take a look at the changes applied to arty:

buffs: +faster reload time

+faster aiming time

+largely increased splash radius

+increased shell speed

+added stun mechanic

+splash and stun damage now ignore solid obstacles like houses, rocks, etc.

I bet you won't quantify your claims. Ho hum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users