Scouting Gameplay. How Do You Manage Base Camping TDs and Arty

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Ilknur_Ibryam #1 Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10926 battles

I ve noticed a huge struggle  while playing scouts lately - the base bush camping TDs and Arty.

TDs invisible bush or close to hard cover very protected heavy dps making machine out there just so you can not spot or flank. With a view range often higher than yours when they equip binos and camoflage as good as yours if not better. Seriously who came with this concept? Base camping is awful, there should not be spots in the base with hard cover or bushes, it completely ruins any point of flanking or scouting. Isnt there a way to make the TDs be engaged in an active battle?

Arty is the other base hugging protected tank which does not need even to hit you but splash close to you so you lose mobility and any accuracy... if you even had accuracy at all on your light tank. Making your escape path impossible to take, because erm ... well you can not freaking turn when your crew is stunned. 

So how do you manage to deal all that when trying to get some ... spotting damage? I know I am not a good player and will never be, but I believe this is some game flaw.

Edited by Ilknur_Ibryam, 22 September 2017 - 07:06 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #2 Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 36128 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostIlknur_Ibryam, on 22 September 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

I ve noticed a huge struggle  while playing scouts lately - the base bush camping TDs and Arty.

TDs invisible bush or close to hard cover very protected heavy dps making machine out there just so you can not spot or flank. With a view range often higher than yours when they equip binos and camoflage as good as yours if not better. Seriously who came with this concept? Base camping is awful, there should not be spots in the base with hard cover or bushes, it completely ruins any point of flanking or scouting. Isnt there a way to make the TDs be engaged in an active battle?

Arty is the other base hugging protected tank which does not need even to hit you but splash close to you so you lose mobility and any accuracy... if you even had accuracy at all on your light tank. Making your escape path impossible to take, because erm ... well you can not freaking turn when your crew is stunned.

So how do you manage to deal all that when trying to get some ... spotting damage? I know I am not a good player and will never be, but I believe this is some game flaw.

Keep on the move & hope that your arty is paying attention to your spots.

Steeleye_Spam #3 Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26485 battles
Usually there are routes of approach that protect you from prying eyes, like along the red line itself. Once you're on top of them they're toast.

Isharial #4 Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18357 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

make sure you focus on maxing your camouflage, as well as your view range...

view range is essential however

the bigger your view range above the cap (445m?) the better your chances at spotting, as it counteracts the enemy's camouflage values

_EXODUZ_ #5 Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34165 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
I can give you some tips if you list some maps which interest you the most, otherwise my advice will be too general.

Ilknur_Ibryam #6 Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10926 battles

Well most small maps have usually easy to approach flanking paths heavily camped from the base or accessible to hit from Arty.

TakeAbbey as an example. I believe the middle is the most important zone to take as a scout tank as it is not much to scout at this map but provides you with few easy flanking shots on both flanks. You just need to win it or at least give a hard time to enemy scouts for flanking shots or keep them engaged so at least they do not take these easy shots.

However there are a couple of spots at each base for a TD to camp shoot you and the main road when checking or fighting for the mid area is easy to hit from an Arty.

Or take Paris as an example the same principle - if you mid, camping TDs, if you field - tadam camping TDs and arty while they are fully protected by both soft and hard cover, you have no protection what so ever for any scouting. And it is almost on every map to be honest, but most notable on smaller maps as in the bigger maps there is a bigger variety for spots and flanking and bigger distance - harder to hit you.

An example of a map that seems to have less of this problem is Redshire. Seems like an ok balanced small map, where at least the TDs are easy to uncover and Arty has a hard time hitting moving targets and easy to take cover in general. You are not splashed to dead :D

Edited by Ilknur_Ibryam, 22 September 2017 - 07:59 PM.

Danger_UXB_ #7 Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 9306 battles

You need to use the terrain to its fullest as in; 'If they cannot see you they cannot hurt you' for TD,s.....Approach from its blind spots..If you cant and its on open ground then use your V/R circle...

..Try to get them just inside that (by mabye 15%) and then drive side on to them this will do 2 things...It will make them move slightly in which case their bino,s become in-active or it will make their gun 'Dispersion' bigger (This

gives you a better chance at survival at least till they fire cos then they will lose their cammo..2nd is it will also mabye give you a better chance of spotting them if they are not totally in cover?

..Dont do this unsupported or your wasting your time?..

Arty;...Approach them in a 'Snake ' pattern as this will make their V/R circle HUGE!!...then the odds are in your favour for a miss from them..

..If you approach them head-on you deserve what you get?

Edited by Danger_UXB_, 22 September 2017 - 07:57 PM.

Ilknur_Ibryam #8 Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10926 battles

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 22 September 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

I can give you some tips if you list some maps which interest you the most, otherwise my advice will be too general.

Well for example Kharkov.

I flank with my batchat. I was able to get a shot and kill a t9 medium I was waiting to kill. Then I flank on the field and I get one t25 free to unload a full clip as he is in a bad position to fight. Then baaam 2 arties one after another in a time distance of 5 seconds get me and I can no longer kill that t25 I try to escape and IS7 sees how immobile I am and finishes me off. If there was no arty I was killing that t25 and perhaps winning the game as I was in a very good flanking position on the field and I was going to be able to threaten a lot of positions to win. But nope, these 2 arty are there shooting at me - the most active player on the map - who worked hard to get a kill and then put another medium tank in an unfavourable position to trade shots and found a gap on the map from which to win the battle.

So I am not sure what I had to do. I waited long while reloading, scouted areas to see where I can go. Found one area. Killed a lonely guy, then was on my way to get a 2nd kill... I probably repeat myself too much, but it is frustrating. I guess I need to be way more passive and camp the base.

HeidenSieker #9 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

View PostIlknur_Ibryam, on 22 September 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

I ve noticed a huge struggle  while playing scouts lately - the base bush camping TDs and Arty ... With a view range often higher than yours when they equip binos and camoflage as good as yours if not better. Seriously who came with this concept?

Isharial #10 Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:56 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 18357 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostIlknur_Ibryam, on 22 September 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Well for example Kharkov.

I flank with my batchat. I was able to get a shot and kill a t9 medium I was waiting to kill. Then I flank on the field and I get one t25 free to unload a full clip as he is in a bad position to fight. Then baaam 2 arties one after another in a time distance of 5 seconds get me and I can no longer kill that t25 I try to escape and IS7 sees how immobile I am and finishes me off. If there was no arty I was killing that t25 and perhaps winning the game as I was in a very good flanking position on the field and I was going to be able to threaten a lot of positions to win. But nope, these 2 arty are there shooting at me - the most active player on the map - who worked hard to get a kill and then put another medium tank in an unfavourable position to trade shots and found a gap on the map from which to win the battle.

So I am not sure what I had to do. I waited long while reloading, scouted areas to see where I can go. Found one area. Killed a lonely guy, then was on my way to get a 2nd kill... I probably repeat myself too much, but it is frustrating. I guess I need to be way more passive and camp the base.

sounds like you just staying in the same place for too long:

*kills lonely tank*

*gets spotted*

*goes unspotted but stays in same area*

*arty looks towards area, waiting for you to re-appear*

*you shoot T25 and get spotted*

*arty blast you as they're pre-aimed there*

had you moved after being spotted to the other flank, then got spotted there and came back to the previous zone, then arty would have had to take longer to aim on you...

I forget to do that myself in fast tanks like that ofcouse, but its something that i always know i should do...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users