Scouting - Reward scouting more than damage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Clean #1 Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 38947 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

I am getting fed up of scouts yoloing into the heavy grinder, camping with the TD's and SPG's at the back or just driving around aimlessly.

There are so many maps where getting early vision on the enemy is invaluable. It allows you to take control of the map and also ward off enemy scouts doing the same to you. People put so much store in WN8 and medals such as High Caliber and Kolobanov but I think Patrol Duty is a very worthy medal.

It is not Wargaming's fault that WN8 does not reward spotting but if credits and XP were enhanced for spotting then perhaps your average and lesser player might start to be scout more intelligently.

Scouting is a high risk business. You can enable a good win and be the fulcrum of your team. You can also be nuked in the first 60 seconds and be berated by your team. Wargaming you can change players behaviour if you reward the class more for doing the job it is supposed to do.

K_A #2 Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13641 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Yes because we need more suiciding yolo scouts. Scouting IS rewarded, provided you do it right. For all damage you spot, YOU GET THE SAME REWARDS AS THE GUY DOING THE SHOOTING! He/they get half, YOU get half. Spotting a bunch of enemies and allowing your team to take one shot at them isn't "doing it right". You need sustained spotting damage, lots of it, just as you need lots of actual damage if you want good rewards by doing the damage. 

Yakito #3 Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18872 battles
"More intelligently"... In wot.
Right...

People that have intellect already know or will learn how to scout. Useless people will always be cattle.

Aikl #4 Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25540 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
If someone cares about WN8, they likely are beyond saving anyway - I really doubt that purple recent WN8 in a light tank will impress many clans where WN8 requirements are beyond filtering out bots.

Orkbert #5 Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25477 battles

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3838101#teams

http://wotreplays.eu/site/3824627#teams

Hmm... looks to me as if spotting damage is already sufficiently rewarded.

Balc0ra #6 Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66256 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

If scouting rewarded more then damage. Then yolo scouts would keep doing it, as it rewards more for less work.

I agree that spotting XP should give more then it does atm. But not on pair with doing the damage on your own or higher. As atm you share half the xp of the damage dealer. It should be 75% IMO, and the damage dealer still keeps his 50%.

Clean #7 Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 38947 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

Yes I want more reward for spot damage. I didn't say I want to reward YOLO.

There is a craft to spotting. A streaker on the pitch technique is very short lived. Ridge running is useful but you need to be unpredictable with your movements. Passive bush scouting is a disciplined technique as one shot out and you can be mercilessly despatched as you are revealed to the enemy.

The middle of the map is a dangerous place but it is very important to get view range for your team behind you. How many games have you been in where the middle of the map is empty the enemy team has a forward spotter and your team gets pulled down one by one. A good scout facilitates a win while taking more risks. If a scout is in a bush up front enabling a damaging shot from artillery or TD on the back line then splitting XP 50/50 is not equal risk/reward.

The scout in my opinion played well is the most important role in the game. Currently a lot of lesser experienced or low IQ players feel that they are worthless in the team and make unhelpful decisions like hide at the back or suicide run. More emphasis on rewarding spotting can only help.

laulaur #8 Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46604 battles
  • [BLAUR] BLAUR

The 'average' player has no idea how to spot. They either yolo rush and die, or bush-camp in a useless spot.

No amount of xp or credits would make the average player a better spotter.

Clean #9 Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 38947 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

View Postlaulaur, on 23 September 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

The 'average' player has no idea how to spot. They either yolo rush and die, or bush-camp in a useless spot.

No amount of xp or credits would make the average player a better spotter.

Hence my point of emphasising the need to reward. You train a dog by giving it treats. I'm assuming the average WoT players is brighter than a dog. Queue trolling.

VeryRisky #10 Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

General

• Player
  • 17357 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'm afraid the horse has already bolted on this one.  WG did seem to consider rebalancing things to mak espotting work but only nerfed a few TD's view range and wimped out of hitting heavies and meds.

laulaur #11 Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 46604 battles
  • [BLAUR] BLAUR

View PostClean, on 23 September 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Hence my point of emphasising the need to reward. You train a dog by giving it treats. I'm assuming the average WoT players is brighter than a dog. Queue trolling.

On the serious note, i think i heard something about WG increasing the XP received from spot in the next patch. Not sure if the idea remains or they scrapped it.

It would be nice to increase the spot xp gain, now spotting is poor rewarded by game and not rewarded at all by wn8/xvm..

Also Balc0ra idea seems really nice, this would actually reward team-play :

Block Quote

As atm you share half the xp of the damage dealer. It should be 75% IMO, and the damage dealer still keeps his 50%.

HassenderZerhacker #12 Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 27223 battles
  • [1DPG] 1DPG

no easy answer to this one I'm afraid...

loads of games with bad spotters, but also loads of games where I spotted, but my team just didn't shoot the targets. very frustrating either way.

one possible solution could be to award spotting points progressively, i.e. the longer a certain target remains spotted or is spotted again, the more points the spotter gets.

atlasapl #13 Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3225 battles
Effective scouting is vital, and a right pain in the a$$, if you are on the wrong end of the results.

You can be in a light tank in lower tiers on your way to other tank types, so you can see why some players at those tiers are not very pro-active. But by mid tiers, you should be playing with the attitude of being a scout.

Scouts are probably the most important part of a team. Its why they are always the first to be targeted.

Tyburn #14 Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:34 AM

Private

• Player
  • 10877 battles
And because they're normally the first to light up and squishy.

Agree that spotting is vital and an art. Should be rewarded a little better although it's only by wn8 that it's not. As everyone seems to care most about wn8 it's ruined the role a little however it's still possible to scout and do alpha damage. The art in the current meta is to do both.

Troubledove #15 Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 42768 battles
  • [METAL] METAL

Bonuses should be given especially to lower tier lights and lowest tier mediums for spotted damage. Even upto each spotted damage counting as 1.5-2 times more than actually doing damage.

BUT.

Only if team wins and only for spotting that happens after 5 first minutes of the match. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users