New Maps

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Gkirmathal #21 Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8125 battles

View PostMrConway, on 24 September 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

We do know that you guys want new maps, we want new maps - want new maps!

As was already pointed out, almost all our map guys are busy working on the HD reworks which we will have more information on soon™. As soon as we are finished with them, the guys will start work on new maps, so you can expect the frequency of new maps to increase.

Right now there is nothing we can do to just pop out some new ones. 

I do like the idea of a map-design contest, I'll see if it can be done :)

Question Mr. Conway:

of all the non constructive topics we have seen here over the years, has the "maps are not HD!1!" topic ever been such  reoccurring and frequent  'whine/complaint topic' on these forums, that it 'justifies making maps HD a priority by WG'??

I have been here since early 2013 and read A LOT of red to dry white whine here, but never have I noticed players desperately wanting HD maps. So I cannot fail but notice that this decision is just for creating more revenue, instead of improving the fundamentals/base of the product.

Edited by Gkirmathal, 24 September 2017 - 06:17 PM.

Djordje1987 #22 Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

Private

• Player
  • 17572 battles
  • [_B_AF] _B_AF

McConway  and sure we will get new maps  until they come we will have more premium tanks,every week one.

Tier 8 MM  is broken but no,launch another T8 Premium tank we have so little of them, all f.kn day of playing i got all the same 4 map in rotation :sceptic:

Edited by Djordje1987, 24 September 2017 - 06:17 PM.

BodyGuardOfLies #23 Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 84102 battles

As was already pointed out, almost all our map guys are busy working on the HD reworks which we will have more information on soon™. As soon as we are finished with them, the guys will start work on new maps, so you can expect the frequency of new maps to increase.

We don't want any more corridor maps.

You should not be trying to balance tank classes using maps. You would find it easier to balance the tanks if you got rid of the tier spread so that you only had to balance them for their own tier.

I am sick to death of maps where I can't flank so am left trading hit points with a heavy in a light or where arty play is like a game of whak a mole. 

And finally who gives a damn if the models are HD or not half the player base is playing on a casio wristwatch or some other hideously under powered machine anyway.

What goes on at your strategy planning meetings? Is it one great circle jerk or what.

The one time you actually asked the "community" you flew Jingles, Quickybaby and some other sycophants to Cypress and had them blow smoke up your back passage. Tough crowd guess you are not that interested in what the real players have to say.  .   

gav00 #24 Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7996 battles
"We know you guys want more maps, so we're giving you the same old ones again but with a new skin!, We hate to listen"

Aikl #25 Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25705 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

(...) which we will have more information on soon™. (...)

I know you're not the one pulling the strings, but it's either good or frightening that 'soon' has been adopted by the WG staff as well.

Not an expert on PR, but I'm sure many players would kind of appreciate some transparency from the developers on things. Transparency that didn't stem from poorly translated Q&A sessions or leaks where dozens of Bothan spies died. Things like "we know we fudged up the Maus, and we're fixing it". Besides actually being from a third-party site translating Russian Q&As (after filtering out all the jokes and silly questions/responses), that was rather nice to know.

If someone, say, fudged up the scheduling on the 'HD engine' and delayed the maps, or that someone fudged up the timeline of creating and balancing HD Rocks, it would inspire more confidence in the players if you just admit it. At the moment it just looks like bumbling incompetence mixed with malice. I'm not saying that anyone is incapable of doing their job (or is doing it willfully wrong), but it does seem like it.

To put it another way: My mental picture of the map development office is strongly reminiscent of a Dilbert cartoon - with the Pointy-Haired Boss having set unrealistic requirements, and any and all testing is delayed by the HR director's attempts at maximising the pain of both employees and end users. What I mean is that whatever PR is doing, they can't possibly make that mental picture worse.

Edited by Aikl, 25 September 2017 - 08:26 AM.

callum347 #26 Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 45696 battles
  • [WAAT] WAAT

There should be a downloadable program where players can design maps + submit them

Snake_Keeper #27 Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9166 battles

View PostMrConway, on 24 September 2017 - 04:34 PM, said:

Soooo....you guys still work under the waterfall model? Not scrum or such?:unsure:

Cause scrum and the like allow you to pop out smaller things in between larger things. So there is the painful image that, WoT PC has a lot smaller team than WoT console, and Blitz. Cause following the development updates for those two is a lot more pleasant. Tons of things, not all about new premiums. Not about features that will take a eternity, and a half. Things that come in all actuality, soon.

Medics_Gun #28 Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 62610 battles

Oh no! Please, no more new maps!

If new maps are going to be crap like Paris and the other 2 latest maps, just forget it. They are not able to create interesting/fun maps anymore. They're just trying to please specific nations-customers in order to gain new players from some countries. Don't be fool. Even map creating is for money and not for fun.

Hamsterkicker #29 Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34497 battles
  • [TEAMB] TEAMB

Well, instead of making whole new maps, just put some of the old ones back in the game.. Province (for low tiers, infinitely better than Mittengard), Port & Komarin (make those playable upto tier 5 only), Northwest, South Coast, Hidden village (just flatten the mountains though that take up 33 % of the map), Pearl River. Dragon Ridge, Severogorsk.. etc.. Note, I am not saying that those maps were better or worse than those currently running.. I just like the variety..

I did play some of the HD maps on the Gamescom this year, but although it does look nice, it is still the same game.

Aikl #30 Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25705 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostSnake_Keeper, on 25 September 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

Soooo....you guys still work under the waterfall model? Not scrum or such?:unsure:

Cause scrum and the like allow you to pop out smaller things in between larger things. So there is the painful image that, WoT PC has a lot smaller team than WoT console, and Blitz. Cause following the development updates for those two is a lot more pleasant. Tons of things, not all about new premiums. Not about features that will take a eternity, and a half. Things that come in all actuality, soon.

For what it's worth, developing for PC most likely is another ballgame compared to the console version, or even Blitz. While developing for Android to some degree suffer from the same problems as developing for Windows (no unit uniformity), it's not the buggy minefield resulting from five-six years of tinkering on an old, inefficient game engine.

Most likely they also have different PR teams. The EU office sometimes have issues even bringing news of the weekend specials. They probably don't get to know jack's sheet in the first place, but even if they did I wouldn't expect them to post about it.
Sometimes I wonder if Wargaming is even aware that 'public relations' here in EU are practically non-existent. It would make for a really nice business study - it kind of feels like Wargaming either doesn't care or understand. Both are about the same level of 'bad'.

Heck, if you want an answer to a non-trivial question, you might as well scream it out the window. About the same chance that a moderator (with actual knowledge, which on EU is pretty darn rare) will notice and reply. I'd probably prefer the windows - there's always a chance that the CEO of Wargaming himself is couchsurfing in rural Norway. The chance is much bigger than him reading the EU forums, anyway. :)

(Well, it was pretty fudging funny that the Dunkirk 'X4' special didn't even have an in-game icon - the first time this was "tested" ever. News posts, in-game popups, forum support... pretty funny attempt at a cover-up. I'm guessing EU wasn't allowed to simply have a 'X5' because that would be too nice - seeing as the main grind nowadays is credits any way you look at it. Corporate politics...)

View Postcallum347, on 24 September 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

There should be a downloadable program where players can design maps + submit them

​While a contest is a good idea, there are few things I'd hate more than maps designed by players with worse bias than a certain bearded fellow. WG would be better off spending resources on finding out what kind of maps players like, or if they even care at all - though at this point many maps have reached such uniformity that asking what map you like best is mostly pointless. 

Edited by Aikl, 25 September 2017 - 08:49 AM.

IncandescentGerbil #31 Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35679 battles
A good map in player terms is not necessarily a good thing in WG terms. From a money making point of view the company wants corridor maps that necessitate head on, gold-spamming conflict. I don't agree with it, naturally, but I think it makes perfect sense from their point of view to continue the policy.

BodyGuardOfLies #32 Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 84102 battles

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 25 September 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

A good map in player terms is not necessarily a good thing in WG terms. From a money making point of view the company wants corridor maps that necessitate head on, gold-spamming conflict. I don't agree with it, naturally, but I think it makes perfect sense from their point of view to continue the policy.

Apart from the fact that ultimately if players are not having fun they will leave. I would be playing AW now if it hadn't been so badly botched. 

Also tagged with New Maps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users