An idea for Arty...

arty artillery SPG

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Arty Idea (44 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you like this idea?

1. Yes :D (14 votes [31.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. No D;< (30 votes [68.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

Vote Hide poll

Shaade_Silentpaw #1 Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22014 battles

First of all, let me make it clear: I would rather arty just be straight-up removed from the game.

BUT, since WG seem determined to never do that - I had an idea that may possibly help fix them a bit;

What if it were made so that arty cannot actually SEE enemy tanks in strategic view, and get only momentary blips of enemy positions on the minimap rather than constant information?

If this were the case, they would still be able to achieve their "intended" function - targeting stationary campers, while also making it extremely difficult to hit actual moving tanks that are like 6-700m away (which I know for sure is one of the main reasons I dislike arty).

They would still be able to see allied tanks though - obviously to avoid team damage.

Not to mention, it's closer to how artillery works in real life and will be much more effective with actual communication from team mates. (dare I say it might even promote some constructive communication between team mates? o.o One can dream...)

Only thing is they may need to be rebuffed a *little* so as not to become completely useless, if this were implemented.

(also, apologies if this has been suggested before - I'm still relatively new to the forum)

So yeah, vote/comment if you like/dislike the idea and why - or have another suggestion to add~

Spurtung #2 Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 61575 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 24 September 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

will be much more effective with actual communication from team mates. (dare I say it might even promote some constructive communication between team mates? o.o One can dream...)

Yeah...no, thanks.

Shaade_Silentpaw #3 Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22014 battles

View PostSpurtung, on 24 September 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Yeah...no, thanks.

Why?

gav00 #4 Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7664 battles
This would mean WG would need to add better minimaps (even the reworked ones are about as clear as mud) and make UI changes in order to make the map a useful size within the interface.

TheBFC #5 Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 664 battles
  • [BLXD] BLXD

Fantastic idea, but wouldn't arty be kind of underpowered?

Maybe what you suggested + buff to gun and bam, new and improved arty!

Shaade_Silentpaw #6 Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22014 battles

View Postgav00, on 24 September 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

This would mean WG would need to add better minimaps (even the reworked ones are about as clear as mud) and make UI changes in order to make the map a useful size within the interface.

You can already make the mini map quite large with the + key, and you will still be able to see the 3D terrain in strategic view as you can now - just not the enemy tanks.

gav00 #7 Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7664 battles

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 24 September 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

You can already make the mini map quite large with the + key, and you will still be able to see the 3D terrain in strategic view as you can now - just not the enemy tanks.

Still can't make it large enough for my liking, you used to be able to make it a lot lot bigger. And it still isnt clear enough to tell which side of the road, or which building or bush the enemy is camped on.

Maybe if the idea could be coupled with additional chat commands for the rest of the team to report a camper's position to the arty? just an idea

Isharial #8 Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19390 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 24 September 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

so your solution to "the interface needs changes to support the idea" is to say "you can make it bigger, go do that"? sounds like a half baked idea if im honest

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 24 September 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

First of all, let me make it clear: I would rather arty just be straight-up removed from the game.

BUT, since WG seem determined to never do that - I had an idea that may possibly help fix them a bit;

What if it were made so that arty cannot actually SEE enemy tanks in strategic view, and get only momentary blips of enemy positions on the minimap rather than constant information?

If this were the case, they would still be able to achieve their "intended" function - targeting stationary campers, while also making it extremely difficult to hit actual moving tanks that are like 6-700m away (which I know for sure is one of the main reasons I dislike arty).

They would still be able to see allied tanks though - obviously to avoid team damage.

Not to mention, it's closer to how artillery works in real life and will be much more effective with actual communication from team mates. (dare I say it might even promote some constructive communication between team mates? o.o One can dream...)

Only thing is they may need to be rebuffed a *little* so as not to become completely useless, if this were implemented.

(also, apologies if this has been suggested before - I'm still relatively new to the forum)

So yeah, vote/comment if you like/dislike the idea and why - or have another suggestion to add~

but even with the blips, they can still hit you on the move, most arties will not watch what your doing on screen, they'll be pre-aiming a spot they think you are going and time their shots, so the idea doesn't work even in a practical sense.

even if they cant see you, they can pre-aim and still know your moving to a particular position, either because of one of their allies you wish to shoot, or because that's the only spot you can go to..

Edited by Isharial, 24 September 2017 - 07:13 PM.

Shaade_Silentpaw #9 Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22014 battles

View PostIsharial, on 24 September 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

so your solution to "the interface needs changes to support the idea" is to say "you can make it bigger, go do that"? sounds like a half baked idea if im honest

but even with the blips, they can still hit you on the move, most arties will not watch what your doing on screen, they'll be pre-aiming a spot they think you are going and time their shots, so the idea doesn't work even in a practical sense.

even if they cant see you, they can pre-aim and still know your moving to a particular position, either because of one of their allies you wish to shoot, or because that's the only spot you can go to..

He said "UI change to make the map a useful size'.

And, really? You think arties will still land consistent bullseyes on fast-moving targets across the map just by looking at a blip on the minimap? Bull. They might splash you at best, and it will be far more difficult to do even that than it is now when you can see exactly where the target is in relation to where you are aiming.

Edited by Shaade_Silentpaw, 24 September 2017 - 07:30 PM.

Isharial #10 Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19390 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 24 September 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

He said "UI change to make the map a useful size'.

And, really? You think arties will still land bullseyes on fast-moving targets across the map just by looking at a blip on the minimap? Bull. They might splash you at best, and it will be far more difficult than it is now when you can see exactly where the target is in relation to where you are aiming.

who said? I was responding to your own post..... do you even read? or do you not know your own name? :facepalm:

and yes.. why? do you think they actively watch you driving across the open area's? no. they look in the direction your travelling and pick a point where your most likely to go.. they do not need to have constant eye sight on you to do that...

it will not make a difference to how they aim

better to reduce their radio range down so they have to move up to keep in touch with the team if anything

or

increase the arty's accuracy by reducing the dispersion by .1 the closer the target is to you

basically, if an arty wants to hit something often, it has to be closer.. but its risky play if you do so

just my 2 cents... will undoubtedly be problems with both ideas, but atleast they wont give you epilepsy like yours

gunslingerXXX #11 Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 10657 battles
I also would prefer they just remove arty, but since they don't this does not seem so bad. The main issue I have is that arty splashes&hits me at full speed in light tanks. This is just stupid mechanics.

Shaade_Silentpaw #12 Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22014 battles

View PostIsharial, on 24 September 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

who said? I was responding to your own post..... do you even read? or do you not know your own name? :facepalm:

and yes.. why? do you think they actively watch you driving across the open area's? no. they look in the direction your travelling and pick a point where your most likely to go.. they do not need to have constant eye sight on you to do that...

it will not make a difference to how they aim

better to reduce their radio range down so they have to move up to keep in touch with the team if anything

or

increase the arty's accuracy by reducing the dispersion by .1 the closer the target is to you

basically, if an arty wants to hit something often, it has to be closer.. but its risky play if you do so

just my 2 cents... will undoubtedly be problems with both ideas, but atleast they wont give you epilepsy like yours

My post was a response to someone else's with a quote, who you also quoted in your post - albeit poorly.

You seem to think that all tanks drive in straight lines from cover to cover. Sorry, but that's not true. Light/Medium and even some TD/Heavy tanks are out in the open quite often, using their speed and agility to scout and brawl. As it stands now, arty can easily hit them because they can follow their movements in strategic view (I know, I do it myself). This is why arty is broken (in my opinion), and it would be extremely difficult to do if all you had to follow was a blip on the minimap that pinged say, once every 10 seconds. In my system, arty would only be able to effectively target players who are sitting in more or less the same location constantly.

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 24 September 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

I also would prefer they just remove arty, but since they don't this does not seem so bad. The main issue I have is that arty splashes&hits me at full speed in light tanks. This is just stupid mechanics.

Exactly, and it would be extremely difficult to do with only occasional blips on the minimap.

Aikl #13 Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25167 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

It's a nice idea, but I'd rather take arty to a nice little farm far away. :)

Anyway, if you want to be really dirty, make it into a crew skill system that you have to invest in. Range of blips, rate of blips, multiple friendlies reporting affect the blip rate... endless options if you're aiming for pure, undiluted pain. :)

Isharial #14 Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19390 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 24 September 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

My post was a response to someone else's with a quote, who you also quoted in your post - albeit poorly.

You seem to think that all tanks drive in straight lines from cover to cover. Sorry, but that's not true. Light/Medium and even some TD/Heavy tanks are out in the open quite often, using their speed and agility to scout and brawl. As it stands now, arty can easily hit them because they can follow their movements in strategic view (I know, I do it myself). This is why arty is broken (in my opinion), and it would be extremely difficult to do if all you had to follow was a blip on the minimap that pinged say, once every 10 seconds. In my system, arty would only be able to effectively target players who are sitting in more or less the same location constantly.

your response was a response to mine, which wasn't done poorly, you just cant read and are trying to back out of it

and you seem to think that artillery can hit such players 100% everytime they are spotted no matter whether they are weaving or not?.. sorry but that's not true either...

you can follow their movements sure, but you can also do that with 2/3 or even 5 second blips, 10 seconds is longer than you remain spotted for, which is far too long and arty would spend most of its time blindfiring bushes in the hope of someone being there

sounds like a very useful teammate to have :facepalm:

arty would only be able to target those spotted last, which get killed in a matter of seconds in a steam roll, or will get a shotgun off end game when they are last alive

it doesn't solve the core issue of arty being both annoying those being aggressive, or that they are supposed to be countering those that your team cannot deal with

if an O-HO is rolling through your team, you want arty to hit it.. if it cannot hit it because it is moving and thus, cannot see it, it cannot do its job of countering the tank the team requires of it

do you see what I now mean?

jack_timber #15 Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32373 battles

Give arty their own spotter planes, just thinking that WoT could be combined with WoWP.

Now there's a thought:)

Beltalowda #16 Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 60193 battles

Did anyone propose arty stun mechanic on this forum ? Well, no. WG will do what they always do, ignore the feedback from players and do their own thing.

Nothing is ever gonna change and you are just wasting time thinking about ideas how to improve the game. WG does not care, never have and never will. Simple as that.

Enforcer1975 #17 Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20445 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
So basically OP wants that nobody can hit him anymore....? :unsure:

Spurtung #18 Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 61575 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 24 September 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

Why?

Because you're basing your whole thing on the assumption communication will improve when right now you see people pushing tanks arty has targeted before the shot comes in (because it's much better to engage a non-stunned/non-tracked adversary, apparently), or even failing to point out the direction of the enemy arty so there can be a counter attempt. So, no, thank you, but we're better off now.

Shaade_Silentpaw #19 Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 22014 battles

View PostIsharial, on 24 September 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

your response was a response to mine, which wasn't done poorly, you just cant read and are trying to back out of it

/sigh.

I'm only going to hold your hand this once, so read carefully. This is how it went;

Gav00: This would mean WG would need to add better minimaps (even the reworked ones are about as clear as mud) and make UI changes in order to make the map a useful size within the interface.

Me: You can already make the mini map quite large with the + key, and you will still be able to see the 3D terrain in strategic view as you can now - just not the enemy tanks.

You: so your solution to "the interface needs changes to support the idea" is to say "you can make it bigger, go do that"? sounds like a half baked idea if im honest.

Me: He said "UI change to make the map a useful size'.

You: who said? I was responding to your own post..... do you even read? or do you not know your own name?

Me: My post was a response to someone else's with a quote, who you also quoted in your post - albeit poorly.

You: your response was a response to mine, which wasn't done poorly, you just cant read and are trying to back out of it

So, hopefully after you've read that you can be less confused.

View PostIsharial, on 24 September 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

and you seem to think that artillery can hit such players 100% everytime they are spotted no matter whether they are weaving or not?.. sorry but that's not true either...

you can follow their movements sure, but you can also do that with 2/3 or even 5 second blips, 10 seconds is longer than you remain spotted for, which is far too long and arty would spend most of its time blindfiring bushes in the hope of someone being there

sounds like a very useful teammate to have :facepalm:

it doesn't solve the core issue of arty being both annoying those being aggressive, or that they are supposed to be countering those that your team cannot deal with

if an O-HO is rolling through your team, you want arty to hit it.. if it cannot hit it because it is moving and thus, cannot see it, it cannot do its job of countering the tank the team requires of it

do you see what I now mean?

5 seconds sounds good. Honestly though, I just can't see how you think the current top-down strategic view is no more useful for aiming at a fast-moving target than using the minimap. You cannot see what direction a tank is facing on the minimap, with a 5 second delay you cannot account for quick changes of direction, and on top of that the minimap is not 100% accurate with how a tank symbol on it actually covers a large area around the target tank when scaled up to the size of the real map.

Arty was not introduced to counter O-HOs, it is there to stop people camping in overpowered positions (at least, that's the most common excuse people use nowadays). But even ignoring that fact, O-HO are much larger, much slower targets than speedy light/mediums and such - so it would be easier to hit them. Really though, if you just let an O-HO slowly crawl into the middle of your team and get killed by it then you deserved to lose anyway. Try, you know, shooting it in the side? Or the rear? Drawing it out into the open for your heavier-hitting TDs and such?

Spurtung #20 Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 61575 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View PostShaade_Silentpaw, on 24 September 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

And, really? You think arties will still land consistent bullseyes on fast-moving targets across the map just by looking at a blip on the minimap? Bull. They might splash you at best, and it will be far more difficult to do even that than it is now when you can see exactly where the target is in relation to where you are aiming.

One-shot an unspotted RU-251 (when it could go 80km/h) because it was breaking fences and small objects in a straight line, so...

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 24 September 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

The main issue I have is that arty splashes&hits me at full speed in light tanks. This is just stupid mechanics.

You misspelled "stupid driving from my part".

Also tagged with arty, artillery, SPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users