The Caernarvon - grind through without getting at least the first engine or skip to Conq?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Derethim #1 Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16426 battles

I was told it was a sniper heavy, that it plays like a medium. It's true, but not with the stock engine.

Now I don't have much time left until the FV215b is gone, so should I go for the first engine at least?

I freexp'd the tracks and the first turret with the first 20-pounder A-barrel and I'm left with 25K free XP and another 70K I can get for gold, but I'm saving that for the Conq for now (that's why i'm asking for advice).

I'll be getting at least the BP radio, since I've found out the stock one only has like 550m range, which is unacceptable.

I can handle the bad speed and I don't think it'll be fast enough anyway.

I'm playing it with Toolbox, Binocs and Camo net - all of the easily removable modules, since I'm not wasting credits on anything else but modules and tanks for now, I've snapped them up from my Chi-Nu-Kai and the Toolbox from the Excelsior :D

Any economy tips? 

I'll just play it like a bad sniper HT if I can.

Obsessive_Compulsive #2 Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

General

• Player
  • 23547 battles

View PostDerethim, on 27 September 2017 - 11:36 PM, said:

I was told it was a sniper heavy, that it plays like a medium. It's true, but not with the stock engine.

Now I don't have much time left until the FV215b is gone, so should I go for the first engine at least?

I freexp'd the tracks and the first turret with the first 20-pounder A-barrel and I'm left with 25K free XP and another 70K I can get for gold, but I'm saving that for the Conq for now (that's why i'm asking for advice).

I'll be getting at least the BP radio, since I've found out the stock one only has like 550m range, which is unacceptable.

I'm playing it with Toolbox, Binocs and Camo net - all of the easily removable modules, since I'm not wasting credits on anything else but modules and tanks for now, I've snapped them up from my Chi-Nu-Kai and the Toolbox from the Excelsior :D

Any economy tips? 

Get a job, buy fort knox.

NervosCuNervii #3 Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21833 battles
  • [D57T] D57T
I played the stock Conqueror as I had no free XP and it was a machinegun, with a reload of 4.9 seconds on the 20 pounder it was bearable. But you have the same hull and no mobility so free XP will make your life easier.

So, that being said, whatever you do, make sure you have free XP for the Conqueror turret and gun as you can skip the tracks with the "track equipment thingy".

Phobos4321 #4 Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42802 battles

well it would make it surely more fun if you got the engines would make your conq. grind  better too 

still if tanks.gg is right on exp costs you pay 57k exp just for the engines

thought for the conq. 23k tracks, 45k b barrel, 28,3k turret, 60k 120mm, 210k 215b awaits you  thats 366k exp you need anyway  

perhaps you could save the 23k tracks if you go for the enhanced coil springs

as you can see your (potential) 95k free exp wont get you far, depending on your average exp, means to boost them and time you could invest

i would say skip what you can skip, since the conq. is a great tank you might want to keep it anyway so you could go for the missing engines/radios later also you might think about using permanent moduls on it 

than again i dont know is the  crds would be an issue for you  

Derethim #5 Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16426 battles

View PostConor_Notorious_McGregor, on 28 September 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Get a job, buy fort knox.

I'm good on credits and only have like 70k max free XP, since I thought I'd never freexp with money and set my premium tanks to crew xp only ... :facepalm:

Credits are no issue tho.

MeetriX #6 Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18576 battles

View PostDerethim, on 28 September 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

I'm good on credits and only have like 70k max free XP, since I thought I'd never freexp with money and set my premium tanks to crew xp only ... :facepalm:

If you are going to make more free XP using gold, you have plenty of time.

UrQuan #7 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 19049 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I skipped the Caernavon, mainly because of the T8 MM. Conqueror starts out as an,uptiered Caernavon in stock mode anyway, so you don't miss out on the experience. The rapid fire gun can let you have some fun moments, but on overall it's pretty tough, nobody's scared of that gun at tier 9 & up (and even T8 isn't that phased by it)

Tank changes with the topgun, makes it really good.

Keep in mind the Conqueror grind is long, need the XP for turret & gun & then grind all the way to the TX. Grinding Caernavon does give you the option to unlock engines easier & in turn make an easier Conqueror stock grind. I still got the stock engine on Conqueror, not really bothered by it but i'm used to slow tanks. if you prefer more mobility, the engines really do help.

Edit: a tip: HIDE THAT LFP! It contains your ammorack & it loves getting damaged.

Edited by UrQuan, 28 September 2017 - 11:02 AM.

Derethim #8 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16426 battles

View PostUrQuan, on 28 September 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

I skipped the Caernavon, mainly because of the T8 MM. Conqueror starts out as an,uptiered Caernavon in stock mode anyway, so you don't miss out on the experience. The rapid fire gun can let you have some fun moments, but on overall it's pretty tough, nobody's scared of that gun at tier 9 & up (and even T8 isn't that phased by it)

Tank changes with the topgun, makes it really good.

Keep in mind the Conqueror grind is long, need the XP for turret & gun & then grind all the way to the TX. Grinding Caernavon does give you the option to unlock engines easier & in turn make an easier Conqueror stock grind. I still got the stock engine on Conqueror, not really bothered by it but i'm used to slow tanks. if you prefer more mobility, the engines really do help.

Edit: a tip: HIDE THAT LFP! It contains your ammorack & it loves getting damaged.

I noticed the LFP. Ammoracked 3 times in one game, the last one was fatal. Still did about 1800 damage, so I was pretty content.

It doesen't suck at all! I was pleasantly surprised, because everyone was saying how bad Caernarvon is.

And I'm playing it with the second radio, stock engine and the A barrel... it's completely fine.

I'm also used to slow tanks - I did well in the T28 and T28 Prototype, Black Prince and the Churchill, Churchill GC..

Edited by Derethim, 28 September 2017 - 11:12 AM.

Obsessive_Compulsive #9 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

General

• Player
  • 23547 battles

View PostDerethim, on 28 September 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

Im grinding it with everything upgraded apart from the top gun because its a lot of xp for not much gains.

Infektid #10 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39780 battles
  • [3V] 3V
The top engine makes a big Diference in terms of mobility and you Will have to unlock ir if you want the top engine on the conqueror. As for the conqueror, my ONLY advise is to play it with two repair kits.

Edited by Infektid, 28 September 2017 - 11:20 AM.

HugSeal #11 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22717 battles
  • [SWEC] SWEC

View PostConor_Notorious_McGregor, on 28 September 2017 - 11:11 AM, said:

Im grinding it with everything upgraded apart from the top gun because its a lot of xp for not much gains.

You might as well get it on the caer though since you need it to unlock the 215b and it makes the grind on the conq a tad more bearable. 

Only_Slightly_Bent #12 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 25307 battles
  • [OAP] OAP

View PostUrQuan, on 28 September 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Yup, I've ditched my fire extingisher for a second repair kit because the ammo rack gets knocked out so often...

K_A #13 Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13566 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

From what I see you have two options depending on what you want to do with it:

1) if you are trying to grind super fast to get the FV215b before the update just go for the fastest route possible, or

2) if you don't intend to do that, leave the Caern in your garage and don't touch it until next patch comes live. It will get a better top turret, a MUCH better gun with higher alpha, and one of the best HT DPMs in the game. Play it then, not now when it's just bad.

Press2ForSkill #14 Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14549 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM

View PostDerethim, on 28 September 2017 - 12:36 AM, said:

Any economy tips? 

Wait what? You actually grind this thing? :O I just free exp-ed with 550k free exp all the way from tier 1→ tier 9 Conq with all the guns etc. Need about another 2k gold and then i can take the FV215b.

Igor_BL #15 Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35510 battles
is this supposed to be funny? freexping whole line?

Obsessive_Compulsive #16 Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

General

• Player
  • 23547 battles

View PostHugSeal, on 28 September 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

You might as well get it on the caer though since you need it to unlock the 215b and it makes the grind on the conq a tad more bearable. 

I will free XP it using boosters on the caern grind to gather the extra xp needed.

Derethim #17 Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16426 battles
Hey, the Caern grind could be worse - it could have a gun with bad pen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users