Game enjoyment

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

ajay3672 #1 Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26482 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

This is not a rant, or I should say it is not intended to be one. It is merely a subject that I hope to start a discussion about and also get other players opinions. So I would appreciate if you would keep the insults to yourself.

I clearly remember in a video quite some time ago, Victor Kislyi,(yes I know I probably spelt his name wrong) said that his main focus for the future of the game was to ensure player enjoyment. I am beginning to wonder if this is still the goal or not. Part of the reason why I say this, is because this was said before the introduction of most of the new OP premium tier 8 tanks and way before the new changes to the match making system.

Take for example the tier 8 tanks that have preferential Match Making, in particular the Super Pershing and the IS6. Sure they have pretty good armour but their guns are mediocre at best and in the case of the IS6 pathetic pen values. Plus with the introduction of some of the new tier 8 tanks like the Patriot, Defender and the Chrysler, we have got to the point where if you are unable to get to the side of those tanks you are having to resort to using prem ammo. The whole point of these tanks is to earn extra credits and better crew xp, but I you are having to resort to firing prem ammo all the time you could actually end up losing a load of credits in a tank that is designed to do the complete opposite. I can't remember of the top of my head what the pen values are for prem ammo on the Super Pershing but for the IS6 it is a lousy 217mm, which is no where near good enough to pen these new tanks not to mention a lot of the tier 9's now that a lot of them have been buffed. So these older premium tanks in particular the ones I have mentioned have become obsolete, I do not know about the Lowe or the French tier 8 heavy as I have never had them. No doubt someone will say well go buy the new premiums, but everybody has the money to fork out to buy a single tank that costs the equivalent to whole game for a console. I know I don't because I am not allowed to work because of my disability, but I am sure that there are many that are in a similar situation where they have one or two premium tier 8's with pref mm who are finding it more and more frustrating with the introduction of these new tanks and the general power creep that has come into the game, and that's just with the premiums.

Then there is this issue with the mm when in a tier 8 and the fact that you spend more time taking part in tier 10 games  than any other, at least that is what I have experienced so far since the new changes to the mm system. I would be interested to hear what everyone else has had to experience since these changes. Now I don't mind a challenge, but when you are having to play what seems like 90% of your games in your tier 8 in tier 10 battles ( I am sure that it is not quite as high as that but it sure feels like it), the novelty of these challenging matches begins to where off, and as a result for the average player the game seems to be less enjoyable. Personally I think I liked the previous mm system where you seemed to get a more even mix of tier 8,9 and 10 matches and without these buffed up OP tanks.

Maybe I am being foolish or stupid, but I have tried to think about this in a constructive manner. But I believe that this is a reasonable issue to start a sensible conversation, and I mentioned earlier I would be really interested as to your thoughts and opinions about the game and the changes and additions that have been introduced to the game in recent weeks/months.  

Homer_J #2 Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27652 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postajay3672, on 28 September 2017 - 01:42 AM, said:

I clearly remember in a video quite some time ago, Victor Kislyi,(yes I know I probably spelt his name wrong) said that his main focus for the future of the game was to ensure player enjoyment. I am beginning to wonder if this is still the goal or not. 

No, they want everyone to have a terrible time so they stop playing.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working.  All those terribly unhappy players keep on logging in every day and pressing that big old battle button.  Bizarre.

HMS_Antelope #3 Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5810 battles

There seems to be a group of people who enjoy the MM, I'm not sure why they do perhaps they have T9/10 tanks that they play all the time.

For me addiction to the grind and the fact I have spent money on the game are the two things that make me log on.  Occasionally I play a session which is OK which I have a good mix of being competitive with the MM but most days like yesterday I spend bottom or middle tier which playing the support role for an evening makes me want to quit.

I would be interested in an honest opinion why people enjoy the current MM even if it was I have high captain skills unlimited money and just fire gold, maybe playing certain tanks means the MM isn't too bad but I wish I never started playing the game, it isn't fun most of the time and every day it isn't sorted is a day closer to quitting the game. 

sabre_ferret #4 Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18665 battles
  • [B1C] B1C
Grinding the 110 the past week has been torture.  What has been particularly frustrating is realising that with the old tier VIII MM it would have been quite a pleasant experience.  I've used free XP to rush the last 15k because the MM has decided that my 60% WR is unacceptable and has pushed me down to 57% in the past few days with a stream of constant tier X battles on dreadful teams.  I was going to buy the AT 15 with the intention of grabbing the FV 215b 183 but I think I'll be taking a long break from the tier of torture while it remains in a broken state.  

jack_timber #5 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:02 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32405 battles

No it's good fun. If it wasn't wouldn't be playing every night, mind you it's either WoT or watching the soaps or some hard to follow series with the wife.

Spurtung #6 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:23 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 61582 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

View Postsabre_ferret, on 28 September 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

MM has decided that my 60% WR is unacceptable and has pushed me down to 57% in the past few days with a stream of constant tier X battles on dreadful teams

I'm sorry to hear you're in the roster for both losing and being bottom tier. The rigging is real and you've been selected. Hang in there.

Jigabachi #7 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17858 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I don't really care about being bottomtier. It leads to horrible matches, but I always liked to play the support role in games.
Besides that, it's more damage and EXP to reap.

The true problem isn't the MM, it's the playerbase that WG completely failed to educate.

ajay3672 #8 Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26482 battles
  • [BULL] BULL
Thank you for your polite responses. Don't take this the wrong way but I was sort of dreading what the replies would be, especially considering what normally happens in subjects that are posted on this forum.

ajay3672 #9 Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26482 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

View PostHomer_J, on 28 September 2017 - 02:11 AM, said:

No, they want everyone to have a terrible time so they stop playing.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working.  All those terribly unhappy players keep on logging in every day and pressing that big old battle button.  Bizarre.

By the way to change the sublect, I like the name of your clan. Very funny..lol.

IncandescentGerbil #10 Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35666 battles
Curse it or defend it, if you play the game for any length of time it's because you are either addicted, or else there's something broken in your own version of real life.
It's escapism, but if you feel trapped when playing it, or alternatively an obsessive need to defend its creators, it's probably time to take up jogging.

Kozzy #11 Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2

View Postajay3672, on 28 September 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Thank you for your polite responses. Don't take this the wrong way but I was sort of dreading what the replies would be, especially considering what normally happens in subjects that are posted on this forum.

WG are a company that aims to make money.  It will continue to do what it does until it starts to make less or it can do things differently to make more.  Some people almost come across as thinking WG owing them something, like they should make the game more enjoyable for them (particularly them).  WG are successful in what they are doing, the only real way to protest what they are doing is to stop playing.  Anything other than stopping 100% (not just stop paying but stop playing too) is actually supporting them and their decisions.

Edited by Kozzy, 29 September 2017 - 08:04 AM.

RinTin_NL #12 Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14572 battles

View Postajay3672, on 28 September 2017 - 01:42 AM, said:

I clearly remember in a video quite some time ago, Victor Kislyi,(yes I know I probably spelt his name wrong) said that his main focus for the future of the game was to ensure player enjoyment.

Ahaha let me laugh what a bu*lshit, it's always been MONEY!!! :coin:

Edited by RinTin_NL, 28 September 2017 - 10:10 AM.

_EXODUZ_ #13 Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34617 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
OP, use some formatting next time.

ajay3672 #14 Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 26482 battles
  • [BULL] BULL

View PostRinTin_NL, on 28 September 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

But that was clearly what he said in that video. He said this in front of community contributors. Then someone called Sasha mentioned about possible changes to mm for the light tanks. 

jack_timber #15 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32405 battles

View Postajay3672, on 28 September 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Ahh there can be some right trolls lurking around here. But you seemed to have escaped their notice at the moment.

Well put together thread has maybe confounded them:)

anonym_sfDyoWv7xpoS #16 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 0 battles

I tend to play mostly TD's and a such I prefer to be mid or bottom tier as the vehicles that I best enjoy are not ideally suited to carrying when top tier (Marder 38T excepted).  As such I do not really have an issue if at Tier 8 seeing a lot of tier 9 or 10, though would prefer to see a lower percentage of games that are at tier 10, just to balance out the levels of difficulty. At Tier 8 I play the Borsig, JP2 and (infrequently) the Skorpion G -- all of which have no real issue penning tier 10 if you go for the weak spots.  In fact taking huge chunks out of tier 10 meds and heavies is actually great fun.  Final game last night was a heavy biased tier 10 defense game on Derpenberg, playing the jP2.  Ended up with just me, an STRV S1 and a Patton.  We took out all their heavies (before arty rebalanced me) and I finished the game with high caliber and 4k damage + 1 k assist.  So it is not always a lost cause.

What really bugs me generally is the level of misses from fully aimed shots due to RNG.  it always happens during that critical shot - derps into the ground instead of the side of the turret:)

CmdRatScabies #17 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35759 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostSpurtung, on 28 September 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

I'm sorry to hear you're in the roster for both losing and being bottom tier. The rigging is real and you've been selected. Hang in there.

I have 100% sympathy for him, same happened to me when I started the 110.  Tank must have a Gypsy curse on it.

spamhamstar #18 Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 64310 battles
  • [LLAY] LLAY

I like the new mm.  Sure you get a lot more tier x games when playing tier 8 than before, but I'd question if you're actually facing more tier x tanks than before given that they'll usually be limited to 3 per battle.  Gone are the days of being the solitary tier 8 in a sea of tier x's so at least there are plenty of enemies you can be competitive against in every battle.  The trick is to not just go to a certain spot because that's where you'd normally go in a heavy or med when you're top tier, but to judge where you can be effective given the teams mm has thrown up.

As for the power creep with the new tier 8 prems?  Well I can sort of understand where WG were coming from with the defender at least.  Given that the IS6 & KV5 are pretty much redundant now & that they are trying to remove tanks with pref mm, there was a need for a decent tier 8 russian heavy.  Unfortunately they took things a bit to far & ended up with a tank that is undoubtedly more competitive that it's tier 8 counter parts.  Perhaps they should also have offered a straight swap for owners of the older tier 8 russian heavies being as how the owners had already paid for these tanks so they couldn't just remove or change them to fit in with the new mm.

I still enjoy playing the game even after 2 million ish hours game play, so at least for me they're still getting enough right.

uglycousin #19 Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 43179 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostKozzy, on 28 September 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

WG are a company that aims to make money.  It will continue to do what it does until it start to make less or it can do things differently to make more.  Some people almost come across as WG owing them something, like they should make the game more enjoyable for them (particularly them).  WG are successful in what they are doing, the only real way to protest what they are doing is to stop playing.  Anything other than stopping 100% (not just stop paying but stop playing too) is actually supporting them and their decisions.

+1

View PostRinTin_NL, on 28 September 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

If players are enjoying themselves, they will spend some money. So, yea, MONEY is the ultimate goal here.

View Post_EXODUZ_, on 28 September 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

OP, use some formatting next time.

I was out of likes. :)

View Postspamhamstar, on 28 September 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

I like the new mm.  Sure you get a lot more tier x games when playing tier 8 than before, but I'd question if you're actually facing more tier x tanks than before given that they'll usually be limited to 3 per battle.  Gone are the days of being the solitary tier 8 in a sea of tier x's so at least there are plenty of enemies you can be competitive against in every battle.  The trick is to not just go to a certain spot because that's where you'd normally go in a heavy or med when you're top tier, but to judge where you can be effective given the teams mm has thrown up.

Man, the old matchmaker was terrible compared to the new one. The new one has it's flaws, but it is a lot better than the old one. :)

After 2 years of playing this game, I still enjoy it. :) 

unhappy_bunny #20 Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17926 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

Strangely enough I enjoy the game. I know I shouldn't, I know I should hate everything about it, but for some strange reason I don't see it the same way that some do.

Most rants, complaints or whatever seem to be based around T10 battles, even if it playing T8's constantly as bottom tier.

To me, there is more to WoT than just T8, T9 or T10.

I enjoy (no not really enjoy, I appreciate the need for) the grind. I enjoy lower tiers, T4, 5 and 6. I know I am not good at this game (in terms of w/r or wn8) but that doesn't worry me. To me, the game is more than just stats. To me the game is about trying to improve, trying to help the other 14 player to get a win, trying, trying, trying. It is in the making the effort. Whether I do improve or not, is not the point (well it is in a way), it is the taking part and the striving for that improvement. 

I know I lose more in T8/9/10 so I limit my games in those tiers. I will play them in platoons, but rarely as solo. Not because of the losses, but because at that level, I dont enjoy playing where I feel out of my depth.

I was criticised in another thread by a very good player, for not wanting to play T10's as he saw T10 as the sole object of the game. Like when I was at work, I was once criticised for not wishing to become a manager. I was told I lacked ambition. Fine. I enjoyed my job on a technical level. I was good on a technical level. I hated office politics. I didn't want a job where I had to supervise, had to play the political game.

Wot is not my work. Wot is a game. Games are meant to be fun. If they are not fun why play them? Wot fortunately has many levels, many opportunities. Like work, it has many facets. I chose to play at the levels I enjoy, that I can make positive contributions to the team. I am content. Mid tiers in WoT are the Technical side of my work, they are where I feel comfortable.

Maybe, one day, I will grind some more T8/9/10 tanks and dip my toe in the higher tiers as a solo player, but for now, I have plenty of lines and tanks to research and explore.

For those that enjoy the higher tiers, for those who are really good at this game, I have total admiration. For those that moan about the higher tiers, whether they are good players or not, I would say this. Maybe you should review what you want out of this game. Review what it is you enjoy. If that means changing your perception of the game, then do so.  A lot of the changes WG made to the game have come from the demands of the players. Not all changes, and not all players, but some have. Those changes have come with consequences that may not have been foreseen. It may have been the case that rather than changing the game, WG should have tried to change the players perceptions.

Just my opinion. 

Happy tanking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users