Downloaded World of Tanks on my PlayStation 4 and oh my God...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

freddiebox #1 Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 376 battles

After playing World of Tanks on PC for the past couple of years I was curious how the game plays on the consoles. So last night I downloaded the game on my PlayStation 4 and oh my God.

Just the garage on the console looks so much better than the PC counterpart with proper shadows and realistic reflections on the floor. And when you preview tanks you can listen to the sweet engine sounds that for some reason are also much higher quality than the PC engine sounds. 

Joining a battle wasn't too special as I felt the UI on the console version to be a little too cluttered and obstructing. But even the maps got much more eyecandy than the PC maps. The grass for example moves with the wind and are significantly more dense. And the clouds move in a more realistic way and give off shadows on the ground as it moves past the sun. The game also feels more like watching a war movie with more grey and dark colours. I guess like applying a colour filter on the PC version but a more realistic one. Something I also noticed is the attention to detail in each map, like small puddles and damage to the terrain. I also feel the maps are larger than the counterparts for some reason. And I'm surprised the PC version don't have a weather system like the console version. The rain looks extremely immersive with the rain pattering sound on the steel hull. Another thing I like is the two different sniper optics view. The standard allows you to move in your tank in first person mode while seeing the gun barrel like you are looking out the driver's window.

I know World of Tanks for PC is soon getting their new HD Maps, but even the new graphics overhaul as previewed in their trailers and streams still look worse than the default console graphics. As I said the only part of the console version I dislike is the UI feeling a bit cluttered, but also the frames per second feels locked. Uncertain if locked at 30 but it doesn't play as smooth as the PC game.

Why is it Wargaming put so much emphasis on the console game? Better looking graphics and now the consoles are getting World of Tanks War Stories leaving PC players in the dark.

Edited by freddiebox, 28 September 2017 - 05:50 PM.

Sargatanas2k2 #2 Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 42162 battles
I imagine having fixed hardware and not having to worry about people still trying to play on pocket calculators is a big part of the reason.

freddiebox #3 Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 376 battles

View PostSargatanas2k2, on 28 September 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

I imagine having fixed hardware and not having to worry about people still trying to play on pocket calculators is a big part of the reason.

I guess I can understand that. But as I mentioned in my OP there are many advantages the console version have which the PC game could use without an impact on people running the game on toasters. I'm glad Wargaming is giving us HD Maps moving away from living in the past, but there are so many features that won't affect that much performance console players are already enjoying. A weather system for instance if done right, or the more immersive driver's window view, etc.

Phobos4321 #4 Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

General

• Player
  • 43349 battles

there is no reason to be surprised

WoT PC more or less uses a tuned  engine but its basicare still about 10 years old

WoT came out 7 years ago

since BW engine cant be used on consoles  they had to develop a new engine anyway

when did it come out ? 2015 as such you might even see it as something like wot 1,5

if they were able to switch BW1 engine  to bw2 engine at PC  it might blow your mind away if you compare it to the console version 

HD maps might be a first step in that direction

MeetriX #5 Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [_ACE] _ACE

View PostSargatanas2k2, on 28 September 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

Last time when developers know how to use all the available power Commodore was still alive.

RamRaid90 #6 Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22415 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

It's just a shame that the game itself is worse.

No team damage = massive trolling and greifing.

All the CoD kids play it, they are worse still than the majority of 45% players on the PC...

Laiskamato #7 Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 46496 battles
What you expect? My phone has more horsepower than most people have on their PC.

Jigabachi #8 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17948 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Why are you even remotely surprised? It's a freshly programmed game on a different engine with different hardware (and same hardware for every user) and ofc the console game isn't eight years old already.

But... yeah. No, thanks. I'd rather not play games like that on a console. Especially multiplayergames.

iztok #9 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:09 PM

Major

• Beta Tester
  • 35215 battles

View Postfreddiebox, on 28 September 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

Why is it Wargaming put so much emphasis on the console game?

Because console is a known hardware and a strong one too. A PC varries hugely.

Edited by iztok, 28 September 2017 - 07:11 PM.

Homer_J #10 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Sounds super if you like watching your game rather than playing it.

Enforcer1975 #11 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View Postfreddiebox, on 28 September 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

I guess I can understand that. But as I mentioned in my OP there are many advantages the console version have which the PC game could use without an impact on people running the game on toasters. I'm glad Wargaming is giving us HD Maps moving away from living in the past, but there are so many features that won't affect that much performance console players are already enjoying. A weather system for instance if done right, or the more immersive driver's window view, etc.

Tbh features like weather fog etc only make sense when you can't shut them off for reasons of fairness. I mean f.e. WT has the minimum details abuse for ages they do nothing about it at least WoT counters that by having a spotting system which in the eyes of players who don't understand it is like a cheat but in reality you can't get any more fair. As i said if you can't completely turn off effects like heavy rain on a stormy map or fog patches obscuring your vision then yes otherwise it's just eye candy that can be a severe disadvantage to those who have it on. I have played games long enough and i have read and talked to players who really disable unnecessary details for that extra fps even if they are already maxed out and have multithousand euro rigs or to have every advantage over others even if it means their game looks like this.

I never did that because i wanted to enjoy the game with all it's effects unless my hardware doesn't let me.

Sargatanas2k2 #12 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 42162 battles

View Postfreddiebox, on 28 September 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I do agree a weather system would be great but it would add stress to older systems that they might not be willing to risk. Apparently the average Russian WoT player's system is far less capable than an average European/American one.

K_A #13 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13651 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Am I the only one here who thinks the PC WoT looks a thousand times better? I've seen a couple youtubers play PS4 but all it has is grass, everything else is shittier and worse. Might be because PC can just amp up the resolution and everything looks way better that way, but still. Wavy grass is something that's nice in a single player rpg but in an mmo it's just cluttering your view.

Enforcer1975 #14 Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostK_A, on 28 September 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

Am I the only one here who thinks the PC WoT looks a thousand times better? I've seen a couple youtubers play PS4 but all it has is grass, everything else is shittier and worse. Might be because PC can just amp up the resolution and everything looks way better that way, but still. Wavy grass is something that's nice in a single player rpg but in an mmo it's just cluttering your view.

If i look at console ports all i see is worse graphics because they only have limited power, sure they can tweak and tweak but they can only work with what they have.

Iirc there was this driver where NVIDIA claimed to have gotten more frames per second but after testing it some tech geeks ( not meant negatively ) found out all they did was reduce graphics quality where they thought nobody was looking...

Balc0ra #15 Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67348 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Thing you gotta remember is that WOT on console is not made with the same game engine as PC wot even, or initially even made by WG. So it's not "limited" in the same way as the old PC engine is. Sure the rain effect on storm maps when it drips off the barrel is cool. And they even have an own physics engine for mud on the tracks and tank hull when you drive up from a lake etc. But having everyone run on the same hardware, so you can base your limitations on that helps. 

Besides the different game mechanics, like blind fire tracers etc. The sounds vs PC wot are just terrible IMO. I hate some of the gun sounds there. And on some tanks, the gun barrel in the sight is cool... on others it takes up half the sight. Tho you can turn it off.

One thing I do like about console WOT is their version of Port. It's a "remake" if you will, so not 100% like our original. As it was removed due to changes in how shells vs world objects worked. As half the map was just brick walls.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users