Deadeye perk for Luchs & Moving to Leopard

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Ace_Commandant #1 Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4964 battles

Hi there. This is my first topic in the forums :) I'm not unfamiliar with the forums though, I have always searched it for tips, but this time I couldn't find what I was looking for, so here I am.

So, my question is that, is Deadeye perk worth getting for Luchs? (As the 1st or 2nd skill) I already know that cammo should be the 1st skill for the commander, and I already know that 6th sense is generally a must for all tanks, especially scouts. But my problem is that, I currently use the auto-cannon on Luchs. This gun is magnificent and has an awesome penetration, but it simply isn't good when I go 1v1 with enemy scouts. Its reloading time is so long and I cannot finish off enemy scout with one clip, so I'm always outgunned. (Considering that my teammates are usually playing Lego and provide little to no support)

I'm well aware that as a light tank, I must avoid 1v1 and avoid engaging as long as possible, but sometimes it's just impossible, like the times when I'm scouting and an enemy light tank comes to hunt me and I have nowhere to run.

So, I was thinking maybe I should get the Deadeye perk, so that I can make my gun more useful. My theory is that, If I have this perk, I could actually disable some vital modules of the enemy with one clip and buy some time for myself to reload or get away. What are your thoughts on this?

And my 2nd question: I don't play my Luchs very often, because I am currently working on TD line. I like Luchs and whenever I play it I enjoy and I'm planning to keep this tank and play it every now and then. Lately, I have been thinking maybe I should sell the Luchs and keep the Leopard? Because I think Leopard's gun is more capable for the situation I described above.

So, I wanted to ask you, is it a good choice to move on to Leopard? Or should I stick with the Luchs? Which one is more fun to play? Also, I know Leopard is better than Luchs in almost every aspect, but one thing that worries me is that, Leopard only have 40 more HP than Luchs, while it has to play in higher tier games, isn't that a serious problem?

Thanks in advance for your replies ;)

RamRaid90 #2 Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 19702 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

My advice is to stop using the autocannons as they now offer better single shell guns.

Dead eye increases the chance to cause damage to enemy vehicles modules, however in order to damage modules you need a gun with the caliber high enough to cause damage to them. Module damage is directly related to gun caliber.

The 30mm autoloader simply isnt of a high enough caliber to damage modules, you will struggle to knock the tracks off a tier 4 tank with it. With that said the deadeye perk is useless.

Using the 50cm single shell cannons on the luchs and the Leopard is a much better tactic, those guns will enable you to damage the modules on same tier tanks with some success. Although you will need a high roll to do so.

Edited by RamRaid90, 01 October 2017 - 10:30 AM.

Obsessive_Compulsive #3 Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

General

• Player
  • 23547 battles

Just read this

http://forum.worldof...r-4-powerhouse/

Merton15 #4 Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13498 battles
First skill for commander should be Sixth Sense, I would go recon as 2nd. Rarely do maps allow passive scouting and you can up the camo with other crew and a net. The auto cannon works well as long as you plan your escape and don't over commit. It is also more fun. I find the Luchs faster, more agile and sneakier than the Leopard which offers a minimal improvement in HP and drum load. I tried both auto cannon and 50mm on the Leopard and prefer the auto. You cannot trade shots so just unload and run.

Baldrickk #5 Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
Well, I've kept the Luchs. I've kept the Leopard.

Both are really good tanks.

Top tip:
If you are ever 1v1 vs another tier 4 light, empty the clip and ram them.
Not too hard, but enough to finish them off.
You will lose some HP, but less than letting them shoot you for 16s while you reload.

Imho the autocannon is best on the Luchs though some very good Luchs players disagree. It's mostly about playstyle, but I love ambushing; the pen and clip damage mean that you can deal a lot of damage very quickly. Others prefer the single shot gun, for work at range and sustained DPM, and don't mind mixing premium rounds in to make up for the lower penetration vs harder targets.

On the Leopard, take the single shot gun.
It outclassed the autocannon.
Unfortunately the Leopard autocannon fires 3 rounds per trigger pull, causing much worse dispersion, and less rounds to hit the target.
The single shot gun was massively buffed though, and makes the Leopard actually the best overall light tank on tier 5 imho since the changes.

I have to admit though, I haven't played the Leopard since the changes, but I have played the T-50, and loved It, and the leopards stats are slightly better on paper.

Edited by Baldrickk, 01 October 2017 - 12:53 PM.

IncandescentGerbil #6 Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35597 battles
The autocannons are not good guns. But they are way more fun than the alternatives. Don't know why anyone would play them using ordinary guns tbh.

Baldrickk #7 Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 01 October 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

The autocannons are not good guns. But they are way more fun than the alternatives. Don't know why anyone would play them using ordinary guns tbh.

Because the auto-cannon on the Leopard is set to "fine spray"?

I always used to think the Luchs version of the gun was better

IncandescentGerbil #8 Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35597 battles
Don't think so. I've two marked the Leopard (hell of an achievement for me) and as long you go tap-tap-tap when firing you get a reasonable grouping. Crap over anything but short distances pen wise of course.

Baldrickk #9 Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 01 October 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

Don't think so. I've two marked the Leopard (hell of an achievement for me) and as long you go tap-tap-tap when firing you get a reasonable grouping. Crap over anything but short distances pen wise of course.

And I've 3 marked all the tier 5 lights. 

Well, all but the M7 which was a medium back when i last owned it. 

The gun is fine for close in work, but over 50m you can only really rely on one going in, worth the second being 50:50 or so.

This is the same as on the Luchs. 

The third shell, that the Luchs doesn't have tends to fly off more or less randomly. 

Don't get me wrong, I liked the tank with that gun when I played through it. It just isn't as reliable as with the 5cm, or even the same gun on the Luchs. 

Edited by Baldrickk, 01 October 2017 - 04:39 PM.

IncandescentGerbil #10 Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35597 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 01 October 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

The gun is fine for close in work, but over 50m you can only really rely on one going in, worth the second being 50:50 or so.

The third shell, that the Luchs doesn't have tends to fly off more or less randomly. 

Don't get me wrong, I liked the tank with that gun when I played through it. It just isn't as reliable as with the 5cm, or even the same gun on the Luchs. 

Sure, the other guns are better... But if it's fun you want....

Strappster #11 Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

General

• Player
  • 23609 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I use the 5cm on the Luchs, which puts you on an even footing with other tier 4 scouts in that you don't have to run away for 20s to reload the bloody thing. It's punchy enough and reloads quickly, couple that with the Luchs's mobility and it's great fun.

I still use the MG on the Leopard though. Because it's fun.

ederfe #12 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14151 battles

What the Leopard brings to the table:

-gun handling especially when equipping vertical stabilization.

-2 more shots in the autoloader clip enabling killing t67s with one clip Rng permitting.

-weight and just enough armour to make ramming lighter foes an option (something Luchs can't do).

Ace_Commandant #13 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4964 battles

View PostRamRaid90, on 01 October 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

My advice is to stop using the autocannons as they now offer better single shell guns.

Dead eye increases the chance to cause damage to enemy vehicles modules, however in order to damage modules you need a gun with the caliber high enough to cause damage to them. Module damage is directly related to gun caliber.

The 30mm autoloader simply isnt of a high enough caliber to damage modules, you will struggle to knock the tracks off a tier 4 tank with it. With that said the deadeye perk is useless.

Using the 50cm single shell cannons on the luchs and the Leopard is a much better tactic, those guns will enable you to damage the modules on same tier tanks with some success. Although you will need a high roll to do so.

Well, that's too bad. I'm not gonna go for the Deadeye then. Thanks very much for the info!

And about the gun selection, I haven't tried Leopard but the single shot cannon on the Luchs is just too weak. It's DPM is not very satisfactory and it's penetration is just awful. I remember once I reached enemy team SPG (which was tier 4 or 5 I guess) but I couldn't penetrate them and my shots just bounced off. I had to flank them and shoot them from behind to penetrate them. It was horrible. But with auto-cannon, I can easily penetrate SPGs frontally without even having to stop.

View PostConor_Notorious_McGregor, on 01 October 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

Thanks for the link mate!

View PostMerton15, on 01 October 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

First skill for commander should be Sixth Sense, I would go recon as 2nd. Rarely do maps allow passive scouting and you can up the camo with other crew and a net. The auto cannon works well as long as you plan your escape and don't over commit. It is also more fun. I find the Luchs faster, more agile and sneakier than the Leopard which offers a minimal improvement in HP and drum load. I tried both auto cannon and 50mm on the Leopard and prefer the auto. You cannot trade shots so just unload and run.

Thank you for your replay, I think I will stick to my Luchs for now. But about the skills. I beg to difer. 

From what I have understood so far, if I have camo for 3 of my Luchs crew, my overall camo will increase 75%, while if I have camo on all 4 crews (including the commander), it will increase 100%, is that right? If so, then 25% is just too much to ignore. And I do agree with you that maps rarely suit passive scouting, but the point is that, higher camo rates will make me more concealed even when I'm on the move and it will makes me harder to spot at all situations. Anyways, I think it's more about playing style and going for camo first or 6th first both work out well...

Ace_Commandant #14 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4964 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 01 October 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Well, I've kept the Luchs. I've kept the Leopard.

Both are really good tanks.

Top tip:
If you are ever 1v1 vs another tier 4 light, empty the clip and ram them.
Not too hard, but enough to finish them off.
You will lose some HP, but less than letting them shoot you for 16s while you reload.

Imho the autocannon is best on the Luchs though some very good Luchs players disagree. It's mostly about playstyle, but I love ambushing; the pen and clip damage mean that you can deal a lot of damage very quickly. Others prefer the single shot gun, for work at range and sustained DPM, and don't mind mixing premium rounds in to make up for the lower penetration vs harder targets.

On the Leopard, take the single shot gun.
It outclassed the autocannon.
Unfortunately the Leopard autocannon fires 3 rounds per trigger pull, causing much worse dispersion, and less rounds to hit the target.
The single shot gun was massively buffed though, and makes the Leopard actually the best overall light tank on tier 5 imho since the changes.

I have to admit though, I haven't played the Leopard since the changes, but I have played the T-50, and loved It, and the leopards stats are slightly better on paper.

Thanks for the tip! Although my maneuvering kinda s***cks but I will try it out next time, it sounds like a very nice idea. And about the Leopard, thanks for the reply, I will keep it in mind.

View PostIncandescentGerbil, on 01 October 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

For me, the most important reason to use auto-cannons is their superior penetrations. It's kinda enjoyable to penetrate enemy tanks frontally. The other important reason to use an auto-cannon, is that you can just get out of cover, shoot the hell out of enemy tank and do a nice amount of damage in like 1-2 seconds and then jump back into cover. If the enemy tank is low on HP, you can finish him off with a single clip. This is never possible with single shot cannons. And to add onto all of these, IMO, auto-cannons are better in terms of "fear factor".

View PostBaldrickk, on 01 October 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

Yup, I can confirm this about Luchs. The biggest problm of the auto-cannon (Besides terrible reload time of curse) is that you simply cannot shoot anything at long range.

Ace_Commandant #15 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4964 battles

View PostStrappster, on 01 October 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

I use the 5cm on the Luchs, which puts you on an even footing with other tier 4 scouts in that you don't have to run away for 20s to reload the bloody thing. It's punchy enough and reloads quickly, couple that with the Luchs's mobility and it's great fun.

I still use the MG on the Leopard though. Because it's fun.

Tried it out today after like 2-3 months of using auto-cannon, and it still didn't suit me. The penetration is horrible :/ But as the others have mentioned, I guess it just depends on the player and playing style, each gun suits a particular type of player.

Baldrickk #16 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostRamRaid90, on 01 October 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

Module damage is not dictated by calibre. (But the amount of damage is).

Calibre is related in that the penetration of shells through the vehicle after penetrating is a multiple of the calibre, letting the shell hit 'deeper' modules.

Whaty actually happened is that WG changed the saving roll % for modules nor to take damage when hit by autocannon rounds.

Same with fire chance.

This is because you are far more likely to deal damage when you get to roll 10-12 times.

It used to be that the KV-1 for example would always go up like a bonfire soaked in petrol if you unloaded the autocannon into its rear.

Alas, that is no more.

RamRaid90 #17 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 19702 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBaldrickk, on 01 October 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

Module damage is not dictated by calibre. (But the amount of damage is).

That is a very contradictory statement.

AFAIK any gun of the same caliber will cause the same ammount of damage to any module it has the penetration potential remaining to damage.

Edited by RamRaid90, 01 October 2017 - 05:35 PM.

Baldrickk #18 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostAce_Commandant, on 01 October 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Tried it out today after like 2-3 months of using auto-cannon, and it still didn't suit me. The penetration is horrible :/ But as the others have mentioned, I guess it just depends on the player and playing style, each gun suits a particular type of player.

I played my first game of the day in the Luchs. 

http://wotreplays.eu...z_kpfw_ii_luchs

I guess it's a pretty good example of how the autoloader works.

Unfortunately I died because I expected to kill the Excelsior, two of my shells bounced though (somehow, that should have been 100% chance (57mm effective armour) grr...) And I tried to run instead of circling him. 

Baldrickk #19 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29061 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostRamRaid90, on 01 October 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

That is a very contradictory statement.

Yeah, I didn't write that the best way.

Shell calibre has no effect on whether the shell deals module damage. It only affects the amount of damage when the damage is done.

Better?

RamRaid90 #20 Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 19702 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBaldrickk, on 01 October 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Yeah, I didn't write that the best way.

Shell calibre has no effect on whether the shell deals module damage. It only affects the amount of damage when the damage is done.

Better?

Yes better :P

As you said, penetration potential is also key to module damage. However, at the very top tiers (where the only caliber guns capable of causing catastrophic module damage will never resort to a pen potential roll) or at the lowest tiers (where penetration is almost always too low to be a factor) this is less of an issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users