Arty Crew Skill Perk Training Viewrange Venting

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Bacnaw #1 Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12569 battles

Hi there,

Leaving all arty hate and love out of this topic, I want to ask you arty players a question.

Are you satisfied with the amount of options for crew training?

I mean, almost all skills and perks are designed for regular tanks and not for arty's.

I've been grinding away at the German arty line and wanted to train a good crew to give it that edge over other arty's and especially boost the hit ratio.

My crew atm has BIA and is working now on cammo again. My commander also has Sixth Sence and mentor atm.

So what is next to train for? 

(Don't start with repairs, cause that's a skill handy for mobile tanks with decent armor. When an arty gets hit, its usually over. Maybe one last close-range shot, but that's it most of the time).

I've noticed that "Off-road driving" helps to get my arty Driver to move around faster. I mean, it can go 40km an hour according to the soft stats, but only does half of that in most cases.

When I had "Off-road" on I could suddenly drive much faster so there is that. But I don't think any other skills or perks will help an arty driver play better.

Other crew members  like Loaders have the same issue. After bia and cammo, there is nothing to choose from which would help any further.

Radio operators have such a good radio to begin with (when researched modules) that there's no point in extending the range of it any further.

Only thing that might come in handy is "situational awareness". Then again, this only helps extending the viewrange. If you are in need of a better viewrange, the enemy is normally to close to you to begin with.

But still this can help you survive. 

Now for the Gunner. All the other skills and perks are not designed for arty's. So nothing to get from there. I mean if the basic stat is nothing to begin with, training for "snapshot" is utterly useless.

All there is left is the commander. As I said I have BIA, Sixth Sense and a running mentor skill. After that I will add (or replace mentor) cammo. Now the only thing to chose form is "Recon" and "Repairs" again.

Recon would be my choice as this gives you at least an edge to maybe survive a close attack by re-positioning first. And then there's repair again. But when your hit, the chance your gonna wait for repairs  to kick in is not very likely. Instead you use a repair kit and get the hell away from that spot. So "Repairs" is an ultimate refuge in an already bad situation.

A side note: When WG nerved the view range of arty's they went ahead and forgot about open turreted arty's. Now why in the "bleep' does an arty with no turret and the crew standing on it have no viewrange?

Its just stupid. That being said, you don't have the option to buy ventilation for your open arty. So that's 5 % less crew. At least give that kind of arty's a better viewrange to balance some of this out or think of something new, like a skill, to replace it.

So, if I find that there's no other real skills and perks that will help arty's fight better. Only some advantages for when it's probably to late to get away.

So what do you guys think? Any ideas for new skills and perks for arty's in general?

And what about that viewrange for open topped arty's? Now viewrange and no venting, I mean: at least choose something WG, not both.

Hope to hear what you guys think. Please don't spam this topic with arty hating messages. You're not that childish are ya? Go to gen chat to hate it out. :P

Edited by Bacnaw, 03 October 2017 - 03:37 PM.

Kozzy #2 Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2
So... this is an arty player's whine thread?  Did I get that right?

Bacnaw #3 Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12569 battles

I do love me some wine, but no. Do you see me whining that its not fare or something? I just think WG has something to catch up on in developing this part of WOT.

So I started a thread to maybe create some new ideas for WG.  I already knew some of you hate arty's so much that we arty players may not write about it on the forum.

So it sucks to be you, arty players are still a significant part of this game.

Edited by Bacnaw, 03 October 2017 - 03:36 PM.

Igor_BL #4 Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39694 battles
  • [GX] GX

BIA first,
then 6th sence + snapshoot + smoothride + camo

viewrange skills  + adrenalin rush + camo

ofc, you can go with driver skills, clutchbraking or offroad.

if your arty has good camo, then would go for camo on 2nd skill. would keep snapshoot still on 2nd.

if the camo is bad like, wouldnt go with camo on 2nd, but those other mentioned skills.

usualy, when they spot you in arty, you are dead any way... safe stowage isnt that important. with adrenalin rush you can benefit more imo

BONUS: sell the arty, use the crew on some other tank type, make a world better place.

Edited by Igor_BL, 03 October 2017 - 03:47 PM.

Spurtung #5 Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 63853 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP
I thought this was gonna be a semi-relevant thread where it could be discussed the pertinence of having Deadeye as a possible skill where most arties only carry HE shells, or why Designated Target won't work in strategic view. You know, the reason behind having 100% useless skills available for training.

SaintMaddenus #6 Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34761 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

No you are right  most skills are not useful to arty as such but arty isn’t a tank.

You may have smooth ride, that might help when relocating, something few arty do, not because they cant but don’t. 

Safe stowage is useful, just in case enemy arty counter you.

Controlled impact is essential.  Taken out a few lights by ramming in my arty and survived. 

Clutch breaking again, useful when trying to shotgun that light.

Overall the drivers have a lot more useful skills than the gunners and radio operators combined.

I can think of some others why the skill is of benefit to arty.

Not sure having skills relating to a class only would work. They would have to develop them for all classes of tanks for all positions in the tanks.  That’s a lot of work. 

If they did such a thing then a  detect artillery skill to assist in countering would be good.  But then all Tanks would want that  one.

The ANTI arty skill that protects against the stunning effect that was suggested in another thread was one all classes could use.

Overall though I think the skills an arty gets are good enough really.   

The whole idea is that you don’t get into combat and if you do you really should die unless you get to shotgun someone, you are not there to take on the world but to be as support.

Igor_BL #7 Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39694 battles
  • [GX] GX

most arties? you mean all arties?

Yeah, deadeye was usefull before on 261 t92 m44, and those kind of arties... now with all arty having HE only. it is useless

snapshoot and smoothride are good ones, because dispersions on arties are really big (ofc, they should be), and they reduce the bloom up to 0.03

Coldspell #8 Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19408 battles

View PostIgor_BL, on 03 October 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

Yeah, deadeye was usefull before on 261 t92 m44, and those kind of arties... now with all arty having HE only. it is useless

snapshoot and smoothride are good ones, because dispersions on arties are really big (ofc, they should be), and they reduce the bloom up to 0.03

Lefh says hi.

HeidenSieker #9 Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 10046 battles

Igor_BL:

"Premium" SPGs still have different types of projectile.

Bacnaw:

Get rid of "Intuition" for loaders, replace with something else SPG-specific, i.e. not very relevant to loaders in other vehicle types.

Driver could have "Hasten", skill to allow quicker acceleration off the mark.

Gunner: "Static target", increases accuracy each shot for stationary target (and only stationary targets!).

Bacnaw #10 Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12569 battles

View PostIgor_BL, on 03 October 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Snapshot? I don't have a turret to begin with so how can this be helping? That's one of the questions I'm asking myself. Training something you don't have cant be usefull.

As far as deadeye, indeed if they are only firing HE it s no use. but then again. Aiming for a specific module? Normally your glad if the shell hits at all, let alone a specific part of the tank. And yeah that's fully aimed and hull locked.

Most tanks don't stand around in an open field while showing their sides to you. most of the time, they are hull down or hiding behind buildings/rocks etc. Oh and moving. So aiming for a specific part is kinda useless imo.

Safe stowage doesnt help either. I've never been ammorracked in an arty before. And again, when that time comes its usually to late as they (arty's) one-shot you most of the time).

This is what I mean with useless skills an perks.

View PostHeidenSieker, on 03 October 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

Igor_BL:

"Premium" SPGs still have different types of projectile.

Bacnaw:

Get rid of "Intuition" for loaders, replace with something else SPG-specific, i.e. not very relevant to loaders in other vehicle types.

Driver could have "Hasten", skill to allow quicker acceleration off the mark.

Gunner: "Static target", increases accuracy each shot for stationary target (and only stationary targets!).

Now those are great ideas for spg's. Thank you.

MeetriX #11 Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20517 battles

View PostBacnaw, on 03 October 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Snapshot? I don't have a turret to begin with so how can this be helping? 

The gun moves.

Homer_J #12 Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBacnaw, on 03 October 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Snapshot? I don't have a turret to begin with so how can this be helping?

Yes you do, it's just hidden from you.  You still have a shot dispersion on turret rotation stat, moving the gun counts as turret movement.

As for loaders, yes there are few useful skills but that goes for any tank.  Adrenaline rush is probably more useful on arty than regular tanks which makes it only next to useless.  Intuition is pointless now they removed AP (used to be good with two loaders because it stacks).

Igor_BL #13 Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39694 battles
  • [GX] GX

snapshoot reduces bloom when moving gun left and right... also really usefull on SPGs with wide gun arc.

Yep, i thought LEFH might be the one, cause of premium status.

Thrael7 #14 Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23227 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Arty crew skills... :teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy:

Let me tell about the single and most likely last arty I 'll ever own. It gave me a 2-skill crew for the Pershing and new one already has 6th sense somehow so it's just another bunch waiting for retraining.

Not even using food, repkit and medkit anymore. Why play arty then? Simple... I like to give sth back...

Edited by Thrael7, 03 October 2017 - 05:46 PM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #15 Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38254 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostThrael7, on 03 October 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

Arty crew skills... :teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy:

Let me tell about the single and most likely last arty I 'll ever own. It gave me a 2-skill crew for the Pershing and new one already has 6th sense somehow so it's just another bunch waiting for retraining.

Not even using food, repkit and medkit anymore. Why play arty then? Simple... I like to give sth back...

Noticed myself doing that a fair bit recently - have a cack high tier game, break out some high tier farty and spend an hour smiting ignorant, petty, small minded gimps.

Yes it's spiteful, but it makes me feel better:arta:

speedphlux #16 Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:36 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44175 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR
The way I usually train up my Arty crews, is straight up going for BIA. Camo is useless - you're not supposed to be seen via direct line of sight anyways. In that sense - Sixth Sense is also something I usually go for only on "valuable" arties, that can see usage in CW or whatever. Otherwise, I'd pick Recon over Sixth Sense. Snap Shot seems like a must for the Gunner, but keep in mind that it doesn't stack in case you're dealing with an arty with two Gunners. Maybe go for Camo on the 2nd one. The rest of the Gunner skills and perks doesn't seems to work on arties from what I've noticed. Then Off-Road and Clutch Braking on the Driver. Situational Awareness on the Radio Operator. Intuition can be useful on arties and it does stack, so go on both Loaders if you have two. The rest of the skills and perks are just for show off on arty crews.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #17 Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29251 battles
Sixth sense and BIA all around. Anything else is a bonus.

Homer_J #18 Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28771 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postspeedphlux, on 04 October 2017 - 12:36 AM, said:

Camo is useless ..... Recon over Sixth Sense......Situational Awareness on the Radio Operator. 

Really, you would go for view range boosting which has little benefit due to the low base view range over camo which will in many cases have more effect on your ability to see people before they see you.

And 6th sense gives you a chance to GTFO before the arty on the other side aims at you if it goes off before you are dead.

SaintMaddenus #19 Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34761 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Overall I am against class specific skils

speedphlux #20 Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:53 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44175 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR

View PostHomer_J, on 04 October 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Really, you would go for view range boosting which has little benefit due to the low base view range over camo which will in many cases have more effect on your ability to see people before they see you.

And 6th sense gives you a chance to GTFO before the arty on the other side aims at you if it goes off before you are dead.

General rules when playing arties for me, are :

1. Move after firing - avoids counter-battery. Also prevents you from falling asleep while playing arty and the temptations to pet your dragon.

2. Watch the minimap and know where you're sitting - that way you know when you're spotted and need to GTFO. Coz nothing says "Crap!" like seeing an enemy Light inside the monastery on Abbey, when you're still trying to move away from the cap circle after your first shot at the "usual camping bush".

3. More of a General WoT Rule for me - View Range is King ! I'd rather sit still in a bush, with 350 meters view range, then sit in a bush, with 10% extra camo and 320 meters view range. Coz you know, if the bush is big enough to hide your arty in it, chances are you won't get spotted easy anyways. Think south spawn on Cliff near the rocks. You will get blind shot there, but if 1v1 on the end of the game, I'd rather sit still in those bushes, spot the enemy at at least 150 meters, than to have no clue where he is until we both proxy spot each other.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users