Total War: Arena

Wargaming Closed Beta anyone playing?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Derethim #1 Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17351 battles

I've yet to download the game as I'm on the last grind towards the FV2015b, but i've recieved the CB key and I have the setup downloaded, so, is anybody gonna play this too? :)

Asking here, because it's WG's game and it involves even more strategy than WoT... could be fun.

I don't have any experience in the Total War series, though I do play a lot of RTS games. Any tips if you have them for Total War, for someone who hasn't even played it yet would be nice.

Effing_Drako #2 Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 26671 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostDerethim, on 04 October 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

I've yet to download the game as I'm on the last grind towards the FV2015b, but i've recieved the CB key and I have the setup downloaded, so, is anybody gonna play this too? :)

Asking here, because it's WG's game and it involves even more strategy than WoT... could be fun.

I don't have any experience in the Total War series, though I do play a lot of RTS games. Any tips if you have them for Total War, for someone who hasn't even played it yet would be nice.

The best way to learn would be to get Total war yourself, if you dont want to spend big Bucks on the newer ones, Medieval 2 is still an excellent game

Jahrakajin #3 Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

Ave Plebs! See you on the Battlefield :B

K_A #4 Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13626 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
What's the idea in it?

Holey_Cheese #5 Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2624 battles

In massive and fast-paced 10-vs-10 RTS battles, characters control three units with hundreds of warriors and clash across ancient battlefields. Every encounter pushes each commander to sharpen their wits and strategize with their allies to secure victory. A deep progression system to level up commanders, and discover new skills, weaponry, armor and abilities are waiting as players climb the ranks.

https://totalwararena.net/en/about-game/

It's different from the regular TW games where 1 person controls the whole army vs the AI or vs human opponents if you like. I am playing TW: Warhammer now but i love Rome and Medieval too. Empire was a let down (love the era).

This could be fun but i wonder how the team aspect will work. We wouldn't want Leeroy Jenkins on our arty now do we. :trollface:

Edited by Holey_Cheese, 04 October 2017 - 04:23 PM.

Headless_Rooster #6 Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10348 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

I downloaded it, did all the bootcamp stuff, but when I try to join a battle I get disconnected in the first couple of mins.... tried lowering all the graphic settings but still get disconnected, shame it looks good, I coulda got into it :(

Derethim #7 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17351 battles
I'm asking because the only online RTS I have atm is Company of Heroes and it gets boring after 11 years, lel

Velvet_Underground #8 Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22243 battles

View PostDerethim, on 04 October 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

I'm asking because the only online RTS I have atm is Company of Heroes and it gets boring after 11 years, lel

Sorry for asking, but why would you bother playing a game like Total War Arena if you are interested in online RTS?:confused:

Derethim #9 Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17351 battles

View PostVelvet_Underground, on 04 October 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

Sorry for asking, but why would you bother playing a game like Total War Arena if you are interested in online RTS?:confused:

Because there isn't anything like Command & Conquer online (except the stupid browser crap) or CoHO, because both shut down for lack of interest.

If you type "MMO RTS" you get LoL, DOTA and so on, which is bull**ap, because those are MOBAS.

To be honest, yes, there is some tiny strategy to it, but compared to classic RTS games? Nope. Mindless button mashing.

Total War is the closest to a tactical/strategic mmo.

Velvet_Underground #10 Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:18 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22243 battles

View PostDerethim, on 04 October 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

Because there isn't anything like Command & Conquer online (except the stupid browser crap) or CoHO, because both shut down for lack of interest.

If you type "MMO RTS" you get LoL, DOTA and so on, which is bull**ap, because those are MOBAS.

To be honest, yes, there is some tiny strategy to it, but compared to classic RTS games? Nope. Mindless button mashing.

Total War is the closest to a tactical/strategic mmo.

Depending on how much you value the "online" part (and which aspects of it). I'd argue that other total war games are actually worth it more worth it than Arena, like for example Medieval 2 and it's huge variety of mods or Shogun 2 (which, coincedently, I'm playing at this very momement). If you want to sink your time into yet another F2P grindfest go for it, but there are better alternatives.

PS: I should probably mention that Arena is in many aspects quite dumbed down compared to other total war games.

Edited by Velvet_Underground, 04 October 2017 - 10:20 PM.

Derethim #11 Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:28 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17351 battles

View PostVelvet_Underground, on 04 October 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

Depending on how much you value the "online" part (and which aspects of it). I'd argue that other total war games are actually worth it more worth it than Arena, like for example Medieval 2 and it's huge variety of mods or Shogun 2 (which, coincedently, I'm playing at this very momement). If you want to sink your time into yet another F2P grindfest go for it, but there are better alternatives.

PS: I should probably mention that Arena is in many aspects quite dumbed down compared to other total war games.

I think I did play Shogun, but what I was pointing at is, that there is a lack of classic mmo strategy games with basebuilding and a lot of units.

Strappster #12 Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:15 AM

General

• Player
  • 23695 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I've played through the tutorials and a couple of online battles, haven't exactly rushed back for more but it did lead to me re-installing Medieval 2, so it's got that going for it. I think if you're after base-building then it's not the game for you; the multi-player part is 10 vs. 10, each player controls 3 units from a choice of Roman, Greek or Barbarian armies. Out of battle you get about the same level of interaction as you get in WoT and WoWs; you can upgrade units, examine tech trees and so on. Maybe it gets more engaging if you commit more time to it but my overall impression was 'meh'.

Although I did get called a useless noob by a guy who wanted me to over-commit my archers so he could hide behind them, so it's definitely a WG playerbase. :great:

Derethim #13 Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17351 battles

I'm playing cavalry atm and it's pretty fun to flank and suddenly mop-up the heavy infatry from behind, while they're busy fighting my teammate.

250swb #14 Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22114 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I've played the beta and can only say it is rubbish.

in a format where battles should be well organised imagine ten players all going yolo with no precision or subtlety. Maybe it's just because it's the beta, but it makes Mittengard at tier I look like the ultimate in sophisticated play. 

Edited by 250swb, 09 October 2017 - 07:07 AM.

Ironbyron #15 Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

Private

• Player
  • 21900 battles

the uselss bobs that destroyed their game with Total War Rome 2 and the uselss bobs of WG that lost millions through years by abandoning gameplay development, allowing millions of bots and cheating flood their game and cant even design a map every patch? and that have the same maps for 5 years?

pass

WG has some of the most uselss developers for gameplay that ever lived...good ideas ,but zero execution....

.i strongly advice save your time and money ....

we are in a very different age of gaming and WG is not a part of it....

company and developers are done

same for sega

Dava_117 #16 Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19058 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostIronbyron, on 08 December 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

the uselss bobs that destroyed their game with Total War Rome 2 and the uselss bobs of WG that lost millions through years by abandoning gameplay development, allowing millions of bots and cheating flood their game and cant even design a map every patch? and that have the same maps for 5 years?

pass

WG has some of the most uselss developers for gameplay that ever lived...good ideas ,but zero execution....

.i strongly advice save your time and money ....

we are in a very different age of gaming and WG is not a part of it....

company and developers are done

same for sega

I didn't play Rome 2 (because general speeking in english instead of latin was too trash after Shogun 2 Japanese voice) but I played Attila, that should be a polished version of it, and find it nice, especially the expansion middleage expansion. Nothing better than convert christians to the cult of Odin using the invincibles Dani people! :trollface:

etody77 #17 Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 62800 battles
  • [PT-RO] PT-RO

View PostDerethim, on 04 October 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

Rome Total War, it'sold, but with same kind of units, almost same gameplay, and play scenarios, different difficulties

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users