VK 45.03 tier 7 German heavy premium tank - how is it?

VK 45.03 tier_VIII premiun

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Uebergewicht #1 Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

Hello there,

Given that the vehicle sub-forums are kinda dead, I´m asking here.

As the title says, I´d like to know what you folks here thing about the premium tier 7 VK 45.03. I´m kinda looking for an additional German heavy crew trainer, and the VK caught my interest because it is a tech tree tank... with the premium tank exchange coming up later this month, I was wondering if I should get this tank by discounting one of my unused premiums for it. While I do own the Löwe, I´m basically doing all of my crew training and silver grinding on this single tank, and it gets kinda tedious... I´m also in an awkward place because I have decent stats in the Löwe and don´t really want to risk that by putting a newbie crew in to train from the ground up, even though I could use additional heavy crews...

Anyway, I don´t recall seeing many of these VKs around and, admittedly, wasnt really aware the VK existed until quite recently (its quite easy to lose track of all the German vehicles that just have serial numbers as names). So the important questions:

- Is it a good crew trainer?

- Is it a good money maker?

- How does this tank feel in the current match making?

- And, most importantly, is it fun and rewarding to play?

My experience in tier 7 heavies comes, on the one hand, from the IS-2. While it is admittedly a powerful tank, I grew to dislike the derpy gun handling the longer I´ve played WoT. On the other hand, I did pretty decently with the Tiger P, even though many people loathe that tank (and I can kinda see why). So, do you think the VK 45.03 is worthwhile currently?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

_LEO_ #2 Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 54116 battles
  • [EL_SQ] EL_SQ
Don't buy anything until they fix MM. Constantly playing vs t9 and OP t8 abominations like defender = ZERO fun.

Long_Range_Sniper #3 Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 29462 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Personally, I find it OK. I don't have any problems with the gun accuracy, and it at least has some sloped armour unlike the Tiger 1 but it's not a good brawler.

it works best as a second line heavy in my opinion, and can shoot from distance if required. I didn't notice the credits but used it as a crew trainer myself.

It's tier VII so with this MM it seems to do fine as well, although I've not played it much recently.

It's not popular with some players but it's cheaper than the Lowe and I think it's not a bad premium.

Dava_117 #4 Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17617 battles
  • [B-BAS] B-BAS

Frontal armor is 100mm, so any gun with about 200-210mm should be able to pen you. In addition the front roof is 25mm (like tiger 2 but insted 122mm gun, just 76mm is needed). May be as a second line support can work, but i haven't it to confirm it to you... 

Edit: if I read well on tanks.gg, even T-150 can pen it frontaly.

Edited by Dava_117, 04 October 2017 - 03:27 PM.

Snake_Keeper #5 Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8407 battles

I love the tank. It feels like the Tiger II should feel like. You bounce, you penetrate, you move rather swiftly. I've yet to feel useless in it as a bottom tier. Earns credits well, at least for my standards, I haven't really taken large notes, but quite often I find myself earning up to 70k even on lost matches, my average for losses is 55k to 65k. Wins 70k to 80k, sometimes 90k-100k.

I've done all around better in this than I did on the Tiger I, and than I ever do on the Tiger II. Simply excellent.

Rati_Festa #6 Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 40225 battles

Op have you only played 1 tier 7 heavy before (is2). Which as u have quite rightly pointed out is completely different to the vk at t7?

Sorry just read ur post again u mention the lowe. My bad.

If ur used to lowe which is a good solid heavy and ur going to drop a fresh crew in the vk ur global stats are going to take a hit anyway. Id stick with what u know and drop them in the lowe or at least experiment with the lowe new crew before paying out.

Will the vk gameplay be that different from the lowe anyway, i think not.

Edited by Rati_Festa, 04 October 2017 - 03:38 PM.

Uebergewicht #7 Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

Yeah, I already realized that the armor is pretty weak, which makes it fall right in line with the Tigers. But from what I heard this one can at least sidescrape a bit if it has to, unlike the Tiger H for example which exposes its hull corners every time. To be fair the other 7 heavies don´t really offer armor anway - the Tiger P is riddled with weakspots, the KV-3 has really poor angles on the upper plate and the IS is also more trollbouncy than consistent. So except for the O-Ni the other tier 7s arent all that resistant either - which, I guess, makes gun performance and mobility much more important. At least these parameters aren´t gimped in bottom tier games. The IS-2, for example, works because it brings decent-ish mobility and big alpha to brawl the mediums as bottom or mid tier. I was hoping the VK could work in these situations due to gun performance.

Block Quote

Op have you only played 1 tier 7 heavy before (is2). Which as u have quite rightly pointed out is completely different to the vk at t7?

Sorry just read ur post again u mention the lowe. My bad.

No problem. The IS-2 is the only tier 7 premium heavy I own, and also one of the tanks I played a lot early in my "career" to learn the game (and get silver). By now I have played KV-3, IS/IS2 and Tiger P on tier 7, as well es various other heavies across all tiers, obviously^^ Stat-wise, Tiger P is my most succesfuly tier 7 heavy, but that probably doesnt say much as that is the only one I played recently; the others I mostly played quite a long time ago.

Edited by Uebergewicht, 04 October 2017 - 03:46 PM.

HM_Kaiser #8 Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 24978 battles

Since some weeks I'm playing a lot with it.

It has a nice frontal armor and it is a good sidescraper.

The gun is the great long 88, and the fantastic gun handling makes it even better. The viw range is great too.

The turret is paper and ammo rack or commander will suffer if hit.

MM is not particularly bad, but expect however a significant number of T9 battles, or stupid teams if you are top tier.

I find it fun to play !

Bucifel #9 Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27780 battles
  • [3NRGY] 3NRGY

its nice and earn enough money...so for his premium role is a good choice (crew trainer and money)

now...if you want it as a competitive tank...

armor - nothing special...a normal tier 7, better than tiger 1 and decent in his tier...but useless vs higher tier or experienced players...

gun - above average due to its pen, accuracy, aim and handling (typical german)...but cant mount V.Stab and DPM is really nasty (tier 6 tigers have better DPM than this VK...)

mobility - is ok for a heavy

others - because it cant mount V.Stab you can choose Optics and with this, you can spot really good with this VK (380 base VR)

Homer_J #10 Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27094 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I've only had 5 battles in it so I've obviously got lucky with my 60% win rate.

I loved the Tiger P (568 battles, 58% win rate) and this is a pretty good replacement, armour is OK, can sidescrape, is more mobile than Tiger P, decent DPM and good gun handling.

Cobra6 #11 Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16295 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

It's great! One of my favourite tanks to play. I personally recommend Rammer / Coated Optics / Vents on this tank.

Also, do not platoon with T7 tanks as you'll get 90% of your matches in tier 9, play these tanks solo only.

Did a video review on it a while back as well which incorporate the changes in earnings that none of the original CC videos have:

I short:

- Fun to play.

- Awesome gunhandling without the need for a Vstab (yet it feels like a T9/T10 medium gun with Vstab).

- Good regular pen and good premium pen, you don't have to fire gold that much.

- Armour doesn't work straight on but you can sidescrape.

- Mobility is not great but workable.

- It makes *tons* of credits as it has the credit modifier of a Tier 8 premium tank but at tier 7, that is unique (and also explains why it's more expensive than other T7's).

- Very good view range.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 04 October 2017 - 05:10 PM.

Mike_Mckay #12 Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 16814 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-
I haven't played it much but tbh I quite like it

I don't really view it as a "heavy" though per se, it has an extremely accurate gun, decent DPM and pen for a tier 7 and seems to play better as a 2nd line sniper for a noob like me at least

In some ways (apart from the lack of armour obviously) I see it as more like the british heavies rather than being similar to tanks like the IS series

HundeWurst #13 Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 67602 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
Its bad.

Comrade_Renamon #14 Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9439 battles

Cobra sums it up pretty much, it is one of my quick favorite T7 heavies as well. The gun+premium earning is best selling point of the tank, as long as you don't rely on the armour to save you (or they are shooting you at sidescraping/long range) and it is a bit slow.

I think it does alright in the current matchmaking.

Uebergewicht #15 Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles
  • [ATD] ATD

View PostCobra6, on 04 October 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

It's great! One of my favourite tanks to play. I personally recommend Rammer / Coated Optics / Vents on this tank.

Also, do not platoon with T7 tanks as you'll get 90% of your matches in tier 9, play these tanks solo only.

Did a video review on it a while back as well which incorporate the changes in earnings that none of the original CC videos have:

I short:

- Fun to play.

- Awesome gunhandling without the need for a Vstab (yet it feels like a T9/T10 medium gun with Vstab).

- Good regular pen and good premium pen, you don't have to fire gold that much.

- Armour doesn't work straight on but you can sidescrape.

- Mobility is not great but workable.

- It makes *tons* of credits as it has the credit modifier of a Tier 8 premium tank but at tier 7, that is unique (and also explains why it's more expensive than other T7's).

- Very good view range.

Cobra 6

I´ve already seen your video before. Glad your opinion hasn´t changed back then! Seems like the VK is a worthwhile purchase.

lord_chipmonk #16 Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32183 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
Like Cobra, I find it a pretty fun tank, though I haven't played it as much as he has. 

shane73tank #17 Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26350 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

It's a nice balanced tank, bring some gold for tier 9, it's a second line tank due to low dpm but the pen is great - a tank you don't have to worry too much about the mm because with the vr and gun you are useful 

crew setup matches heavies for training and it has tier 8 earnings 

Cobra6 #18 Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16295 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

I don't know why because on paper it's similar to the Tiger which I hated but this tank just works for me *and* it's FUN to drive.

Cobra 6

lord_chipmonk #19 Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32183 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostCobra6, on 04 October 2017 - 09:51 PM, said:

I don't know why because on paper it's similar to the Tiger which I hated but this tank just works for me *and* it's FUN to drive.

Cobra 6

Same. Really don't like the Tiger, but the VK is just good fun. :)

shane73tank #20 Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26350 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View PostCobra6, on 04 October 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

Cobra 6

Just goes to show how close the tiger is to being good, just a small bit of usable armour......sorry to derail, I am in agree- vk is fun 

Also tagged with VK 45.03, tier_VIII, premiun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users