What is people's problem with camping?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Derethim #1 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17534 battles

As far as I know, WoT is a tacitcal/strategic moba. Not Call of Duty.

Of course everyone hates those three teammates sitting in the back in paper TDs, but when people complain about you finding a good spot and sitting on it the whole game dealing damage.. I just don't get it.

JocMeister #2 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23474 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostDerethim, on 05 October 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Of course everyone hates those three teammates sitting in the back in paper TDs, but when people complain about you finding a good spot and sitting on it the whole game dealing damage.. I just don't get it.

And you really do that? Sit in a good position "dealing damage" all game? Or do you manage a few shots from the redline after your entire team is wiped out? Looking at your stats you arn´t doing too well. If you get a lot of complaints they are probably valid. At least to some extent.

Edited by JocMeister, 05 October 2017 - 07:17 PM.

250swb #3 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 22676 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It depends if you are dealing strategic damage sitting in one spot, or just hanging around getting the odd shot in. If on maps like Fiery Salient  with high view ranges you can see the enemy and hit the enemy, and support other tanks, then fair enough, camp. But if you are just hoping to hit the enemy and can't get your teammates out of trouble you are being a waste of time. And dealing all your damage at the end of the battle is pretty bad, it means the team hasn't been supported and you've just farmed the enemy coming to you.

Edited by 250swb, 05 October 2017 - 07:18 PM.

atlasapl #4 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3228 battles
Depends on how you define camping? Nothing wrong with camping if you are in something like the flakbus and have a good position to shoot from. When you drive something that is made out of a bake bean tin, you need to sit back. But if you are in something that has plenty of armour, hit points, and a big wallop, don't camp.

RockyRoller #5 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 32416 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS

First off it is a biological fact that some people will always blame others when things go wrong especially when it was them that was doing the wrong.  Shifting blame onto others makes you feel good and avoids punishments so I guess you can see how evolution favours this in some.

I could write more but in the end 100% of chat about newbs or camping is toxic wankery. igone it or turn it off.  

qpranger #6 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 32524 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
No problem, I love to pitch my tent.

d7g7 #7 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 27550 battles

For me, campers are those people/bots who just sit in the back row, waiting for someone else to do the job and spot an enemy tank, and nothing else.

It can be acceptable if done right (high position with a good view and not 3 meters from spawn point where u can't see jack crapon important/popular places where tanks go) and for some TD (bad armor/good players)

If you do that with HT/med/LT then you can, respectfully, die in a fire.

Take Prokhorovka http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/File:Prokhorovka_875x875px.jpg, if you are in a heavy/med and camp somewhere between A1/C2 and/or K1/H2 I automatically assume you either have serious mental problems or you should see a doctor quickly.

Jotneblod #8 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1007 battles
  • [-UM] -UM
Camping is fine. It is part of the game. If you can't deal with camping, don't play the game. :)

Edited by Jotneblod, 05 October 2017 - 07:47 PM.

BravelyRanAway #9 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22601 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostDerethim, on 05 October 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Starting off the game in a paper TD by covering the advance from the back is fine, taking shot at what your allies light up....but as they move forward...you should too, to keep them covered as they push. I like to keep just out of range so as not to be spotted myself, but at some point if your allies aren't up to it......you're going to have to take things into your own hands and use your VR to help them.

Jigabachi #10 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17935 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Entirely depends on your understanding of camping. The only kind of camping I really don't like is bushcamping. That has a way too big impact on the game. Other than that... I don't care. If you find a good position (no climbing), go and make use of it.

Mimos_A #11 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24261 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

Depends on how you camp. If you camp in a spot where you're holding a flank, keep your gun firing or keep viewrange out where your team would otherwise be blind, no problem. If you are sitting in a spot where you're not using the strengths of your tank (for example, sitting in a sniping position in a tank with terrible accuracy and good frontal armour) and you're not contributing to enlarging the chance of your team to win, you're just wasting a spot on the teamlist.

Take Prokhorovka for example, camping is not an invalid tactic in certain tanks. However, if you have a light lighting up targets and you're sitting so far back you can't hit them or you see the enemy has the majority of their team elsewhere and no one is providing adequate vision and you still continue to just sit in your spot you're being useless, which unsurprisingly tends to trigger people who are getting rushed by superior numbers.

It's all about being where you're needed, in some situations camping a certain position can be the best thing to do, while that spot might be the most useless position there could be. The frustration is usually caused because there are people who just move to one position and don't move the entire game, no matter what's happening on the rest of the map. There's quite some people who camp so badly they might as well not be on the teamlist, which can be very frustrating in close games.

Edited by Mimos_A, 05 October 2017 - 07:59 PM.

Stimpeltje #12 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 28028 battles
If u camp that far back that can only do damage when your team gets overrun, then plz feel free to burn in hell

JocMeister #13 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23474 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostRockyRoller, on 05 October 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

First off it is a biological fact that some people will always blame others when things go wrong especially when it was them that was doing the wrong.  Shifting blame onto others makes you feel good and avoids punishments so I guess you can see how evolution favours this in some.

I could write more but in the end 100% of chat about newbs or camping is toxic wankery. igone it or turn it off.  

Its also a biological fact that some people live in absolute denial. So instead of realizing their sub 40% winrate in higher tier tanks is because they are doing something horribly, horribly, horribly wrong they blame something else. And when people point out to them their flaws they put their heads in the sand and refuse to listen and shrug the complaints off as "wankery".

Edited by JocMeister, 05 October 2017 - 07:51 PM.

Mimos_A #14 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24261 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostRockyRoller, on 05 October 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

In some cases you're right. There are however people who just play completely terrible, put their team on a massive disadvantage because of that and some of them have the audacity to write "noob team" in chat after they just sat staring down an empty line all game while the full enemy team was already spotted elsewhere. Some people are wankers, other people are terrible and refuse to accept the fact that they are to blame for losing that close game.

Slyspy #15 Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14202 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Because it typically means passivity and the surrender of map control.

RamRaid90 #16 Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21517 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostRockyRoller, on 05 October 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

Either really stupid, or a completely failed troll.

Edited by RamRaid90, 05 October 2017 - 08:04 PM.

truoste #17 Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 38045 battles

View PostDerethim, on 05 October 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

There is camping and then there is camping. Nothing wrong with active camping i.e. moving where you are needed and shooting from the edge of spotting range or 15m from bush. Then there is spawn camping / redline camping which means that your team is down a tank (or more if you are not alone there). Redline campers are very useful when on enemys team but terrible on yours. 

Edited by truoste, 05 October 2017 - 08:06 PM.

_Great_Cyrus_ #18 Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18875 battles

Nothing Wrong. When winning you will hear nothing, But when losing HT and MD have to Blame someone , so they go Arty or TD  Campers.   I play PZ4 a lot and sometimes you hear: Camper why don't you come to city and fight an IS7.....

Just Play and stop caring what others say.      Mostly when you need Help . MDs or LT runaway thinking to stay alive then you Die. if you say something they just see: Your fault , you  Camper ,  even if you are far from the Base.

or HT that stay next to You to snipe with derp gun or lots of Armor. Stay behind the line and follow the others.

Of curse Base Camping is an Entirely different thing.

Edited by _Great_Cyrus_, 05 October 2017 - 08:24 PM.

Mimos_A #19 Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24261 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View Post_Great_Cyrus_, on 05 October 2017 - 08:20 PM, said:

Nothing Wrong. When winning you will hear nothing, But when losing HT and MD have to Blame someone , so they go Arty or TD  Campers.   I play PZ4 a lot and sometimes you hear: Camper why don't you come to city and fight an IS7.....

Just Play and stop caring what others say.      Mostly when you need Help . MDs or LT runaway thinking to stay alive then you Die. if you say something they just see: Your fault , you  Camper ,  even if you are far from the Base.

That attitude is exactly the problem. Of course you need to stay back more in certain tanks, but when it comes down to it, every tank has hitpoints and a gun. That doesn't mean you should just go yolo in, but if you just stubbornly sit in "your" spot and watch the game being lost you're exactly what people dislike about camping. If said IS7 is a one-shot against a one-shot teammate of yours and you have the HP to take the hit it can be a game-winning move to just take a hit and make sure you win the now 2v1.

Edited by Mimos_A, 05 October 2017 - 08:28 PM.

_Great_Cyrus_ #20 Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 18875 battles

View PostMimos_A, on 05 October 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

That attitude is exactly the problem. Of course you need to stay back more in certain tanks, but when it comes down to it, every tank has hitpoints and a gun. That doesn't mean you should just go yolo in, but if you just stubbornly sit in "your" spot and watch the game being lost you're exactly what people dislike about camping.

Nobody sits in one Area (not me anyway) . TD like PZ4 have no Armor to go Brawl , i snipe and when needed go fight next to the HT. but Many Tanks start going YOLO and when they die very fast start blaming the TDs that are to Support.  I can't go in front of Tank that has much better Armor  and faster aiming Time and fast moving Tanks an stay alive for 3 min.

And to be Franc. sitting back and watching the entire Map. You see many s**ts that other tanks do and as a TD play i say WTF?   Like when a Tank has 20 Hp and every HT still shooting AP and can't kill it. Or LT that go Kamikazi at start , or HT that go behind a rock and stay there the whole time.     I played 5000 games in paper TDs and I think I know what is the best way to play it, not a MD or LT player.

But I think my Text was not fully done when you red it. :)

Edited by _Great_Cyrus_, 05 October 2017 - 08:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users