Are you real though, are you? really?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

SuperLowIQplayer #1 Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:28 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 405 battles

I'm not fully convinced. I mean if you apply enough force to a spherical object it will start moving, it will react, it has an inherent reaction and it reacts the same way every time given it is in the same initial conditions, this is at least true on a macroscopic scale. 

If you apply force to a worm, touch it, it will react, it has an inherent reaction. Now lets say entropy takes a really odd turn in your local space and the worm, the surrounding environment, and all the particles and physical forces that constitute the aforementioned take the exact same shape as when you touched the worm the first time, if you touch it, it will react the same way. it has an inherent reaction and it reacts the same way every time given it is in the same initial conditions, this is at least true on a macroscopic scale. 

If you apply force or somehow have an effect on another human, a specific effect, the humans nervous system will have a reaction, it has an inherent and specific reaction to that specific stimuli within the specific conditions of the space. You can imagine the exact same scenario as to what happened to the worm. The human will react the same way. It has an inherent reaction and it reacts the same way every time, given it is in the same initial conditions, this is at least true on a macroscopic scale. 

From what I can tell, from my point of view as a conscious observer, all I can objectively see is reactions. The fact the something reacts doesn't automatically imply it's a conscious being, I mean the sphere isn't a conscious being, It's just a [edited]ball. The only consciousness I can be sure of is my own, anything else alleging consciousness could just a be another inherit reaction to the stimuli of questioning the things consciousness. 

I doubt my above explanations hold up on a quantum level, but i'm sure you could find something analogous. The above was just a thought experiment to describe the dilemma.  

It's odd calling you, you, when you could just be an inherit reaction with no consciousness. 

Captain_Kremen0 #2 Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37279 battles
The drugs DO work.

K_A #3 Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:42 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13641 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

The difference between the spherical object and a worm or a human being is that even though hypothetically in identical situations in space and time a worm and a human will always react inherently in the same way, there's no possible way to calculate and accurately predict the consequences of applying the force unto it/them. We may only predict, sometimes with accuracy, what might happen, but there's no mathematical way we can accurately calculate a theory as to what the result will ultimately be. We can only observe as events occur in real time but we cannot go back to the starting position.

Now in the case of the conical spheroid, however, it simply obeys the laws of physics. Gravity and friction being the two major components in the equation, both can be very accurately measured in advance, and by taking into consideration the physics of the surrounding area and any and all other objects it might interact with as a result of the inserted force, we are able to highly accurately calculate the exact location where the conical sphere will inevitably end up. We can create the events and calculate the outcome in advance.

Also this isn't gameplay :hiding:

Edited by K_A, 05 October 2017 - 11:43 PM.

Dundato #4 Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26310 battles
PM me what ur on man, sounds good

SuperLowIQplayer #5 Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:44 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 405 battles

View PostK_A, on 05 October 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

The difference between the spherical object and a worm or a human being is that even though hypothetically in identical situations in space and time a worm and a human will always react inherently in the same way, there's no possible way to calculate and accurately predict the consequences of applying the force unto it/them. We may only predict, sometimes with accuracy, what might happen, but there's no mathematical way we can accurately calculate a theory as to what the result will ultimately be. We can only observe as events occur in real time but we cannot go back to the starting position.

Now in the case of the conical spheroid, however, it simply obeys the laws of physics. Gravity and friction being the two major components in the equation, both can be very accurately measured in advance, and by taking into consideration the physics of the surrounding area and any and all other objects it might interact with as a result of the inserted force, we are able to highly accurately calculate the exact location where the conical sphere will inevitably end up. We can create the events and calculate the outcome in advance.

Also this isn't gameplay :hiding:

Treat what I said more as a thought experiment, I'm sure you know what i'm trying to get to. 

K_A #6 Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:48 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13641 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSuperLowIQplayer, on 05 October 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

Treat what I said more as a thought experiment, I'm sure you know what i'm trying to get to. 

I know, it just delves much too much into philosophical questions for my taste, and I'm just massively rationalist and prefer the scientific approach to problems:P

alienslive #7 Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 88073 battles
Is it gameplay material? If not pls post in off-topic section.

WindSpIitter1 #8 Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 277 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

If there is such a thing at a quantum level there is no such thing as consciousness, so any thought about the subject would be ultimately meaningless. 

Same with free will. Maybe free will isn't a thing in the truest sense of the word, but living as if it is is quite possible.

What's a more interesting thought experiment is to think about breaks in consciousness. For example, suppose every time you go to sleep "you" die, but another person awakes in the morning with "your" memories. Would you be able to tell the difference? Is your personality as you experience it currently a continuous thing or is that just your subconscious playing tricks on you for convenience? 

SuperLowIQplayer #9 Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 405 battles

View PostHeathLedger_, on 05 October 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

If there is such a thing at a quantum level there is no such thing as consciousness, so any thought about the subject would be ultimately meaningless. 

Same with free will. Maybe free will isn't a thing in the truest sense of the word, but living as if it is is quite possible.

What's a more interesting thought experiment is to think about breaks in consciousness. For example, suppose every time you go to sleep "you" die, but another person awakes in the morning with "your" memories. Would you be able to tell the difference? Is your personality as you experience it currently a continuous thing or is that just your subconscious playing tricks on you for convenience? 

According to multiverse theory you die constantly but you will only experience the multiverses in which you are alive. something like that, watched it on YT, so it's not an original thought. 

Tidal_Force #10 Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:55 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16192 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Oh. Look. Someone took starting point of Rene Descartes philosophy and got mechanism as result. Congratulations. You are only 300 years late.

This is about as fresh and revolutionary as four field crop rotation.

In about 100 years you will figure out mechanical lathes, steam engines and experience Industrial Revolution. Let me tell you, telegraph is sure something to look forward to.

Edited by Tidal_Force, 06 October 2017 - 02:05 AM.

Phobos4321 #11 Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:20 AM

General

• Player
  • 43226 battles
guess harldy anyone is hard enough for his bogus threads

Jahrakajin #12 Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

I think you're looking for some philosophical Forum. Sorry to disappoint you but unfortunately we're here for pixel tanks and unfortunately I don't feel I'm qualified to answer such questions.

Spoiler

Closed.

Edited by Jahrakajin, 06 October 2017 - 06:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users