Ranked Battles, The Ultimate Try Hard Trap?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:47 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18619 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

Hi guys,

Well, while checking my days results for the evening on wotlabs and fapping to them like the sad wannabe that I am, deluded by my own efforts vs those that undoubtedly helped me as wins always need.. I noticed some of the featured streamers vids that get attached for whatever reason but I was somewhat shocked by how this guy was completely consumed by what appeared to be another marketing angle from WG.. tell me if I grasp this ranked battles wrong in terms of it being the ultimate in pay to win, unapologetic and totally playing on players competitive "to hell with the cost I am the best!!!!!!" failings which burn in all of us to some extent and in various levels from "whatever, blow me" to "knell before me for I am your God!!!"

So the featured video is by QuikiBaby and he is explaining how this ranked system works. Now during a battle earlier today I was lambasted by a player who was using a Foch TD who sent me a barrage of critical messages during and after battle(no problem with this at all) but his reasoning of my ability, even though I, as bottom tier, did more damage and sacrificed myself to try win and defend a falling flank while he did fok all and suicide drowned at the end rather than get killed, was that I had no tierX tanks and so based on that I was inferior, and this is the measuring stick of player ability. I explained a total tomato could race to tierX just cliking battle enough times while losing all the way but he wasn't having it, he was a tierX God and I knew nothing.. fine.

Anyway watch this video

Now he is loaded with 24 HEAT rounds, uses practically nothing else and for that, is delighted that his team, somewhat reliant on HP vs HP for a finish, wins the battle, and is talking about how much better ranked battles are, now, for me, this is a case of he can't step back from the trees to see the forest, he used 17 premium rounds, lost 64,000 credits even with a premium account and a decent round himself with solid damage, and is referring to this as BETTER??? Because he now has enough thingys to get an extra 2.5% module on his tank?? O COME ON!! Surely this is praying on guys to empty wallets even more and you are lapping it up? You can tell me to shut the fok up fine I don't take offence I like to talk all matters of life out and bounce insults like an IS7 turret, is certain areas of this game really as nuts and competitive as that video shows? just soaking up all your credits and cash for the sake of that one win.. I mean that's the thing he could have lost.. and how bad the losses then?? 100k? damn...

NOPANs_Bicycle #2 Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1463 battles
  • [NOPAN] NOPAN

you don't have to try so hard, especially with the new rules that were published after 2nd stage.

this season I only played M48 and batchat, these tanks and the other tier 10 meds have enough penetration to not need to shoot gold. I shot only 1 HEAT round in 3 weeks so I made a profit every evening that I played and I finished in league 1

TungstenHitman #3 Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:04 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18619 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV

View PostNOPANs_Bicycle, on 08 October 2017 - 10:51 PM, said:

you don't have to try so hard, especially with the new rules that were published after 2nd stage.

this season I only played M48 and batchat, these tanks and the other tier 10 meds have enough penetration to not need to shoot gold. I shot only 1 HEAT round in 3 weeks so I made a profit every evening that I played and I finished in league 1

I suppose I was taken aback by how this guy spoke about how better this system is and how WG have finally listened and how it is much fairer and so on... on the back of piszing away 64k lol.. wow.. just.. wow..

TungstenHitman #4 Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:11 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 18619 battles
  • [TKSV] TKSV
..I mean even with premium account these sorts of "wins" are surely unsustainable, not even taking into account the 40-45% losses for every win this isn't something worth getting excited about or applauding.. I don't understand how this is supposed to be a positive change or game feature/battle mode? This looks like it's preying on those that really can't control the urge to keep trying or step away from the desire to win. I know this feeling we all have it on some level but this is just taking advantage of those that have really no "stop" button in them and I just don't like to see ppl get taken advantage of in life. I can buy pretty much anything I want too but I'm not a stupid person. It's ok for this guy who makes a living with Google adds and attached YouTube adds and donations etc to come and spam gold like a mother foker and say its a big thumbs up but I hope others have the sense not to get baited by this or WG's transparent money trap.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 09 October 2017 - 12:12 AM.

AngelofAwe #5 Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• WGL PRO Player
  • 39030 battles
It's a crap mode that's much more frustrating than fun.
The change that made it "better" is that the rewards are achievable now. Even easy as anybody can get them once again.
Before the change I would have had to invest all my time and spam gold like a mofo in the strongest tanks I had to be able to have a CHANCE of reaching gold and printing out the bonds. Not exactly worth it.

Now you don't have to spam gold to get anywhere but it does save time. And for QB as well as most other ancient WoT players there's not much left to spend credits on so the losses aren't really much of a hit to your pixel wallet. 

Coldspell #6 Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:31 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18583 battles
Pretty sure the ultimate try hard trap is attacking on sand river in assault mode when the defenders have 3 artillery.

VerticalBird_ #7 Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:17 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23820 battles
  • [RSOP] RSOP

Everybody, as in over 90% of high-ranked players do not have a problem with shooting gold. When I play ranked, I always expect the enemies to shoot premium ammo, because it's just the most logical thing to do. If you decide not to do it, you should still expect it from others since at least for me, it's kinda easier to play when you know that each time you get shot you are most likely to get penetrated. I really do prefer ranked instead of randoms just because I feel like the game is actually harder than just farming plebs in randoms. 

I also used the credit boosters from reaching rank IV which you can use to play more ranked with more income. I played ranks 4,5, and 4 during the season, got easily to gold league and made millions of credits with my own boosters and clan boosters activated simultaneously. Of course without those it could be expensive to shoot almost full gold like I did, but then again there is an option not to shoot it. The mode is still not really skill-based so you can get to rank IV relatively easily even if you are not such a good player or decide not to shoot so much gold, it just takes way longer. As for pay-to-win in ranked, I think it's more of a case of pay-to-progress, since it literally just takes longer to get to higher ranks and they are very achievable, maybe apart from rank V, to almost all players. The only problem to me was the fact that you got nothing from losing a game which made playing the mode really frustrating since you couldn't progress, whatever you did in a game if your team just threw. 

Edited by VerticalBird_, 09 October 2017 - 01:26 AM.

Warzey #8 Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• WGL PRO Player
  • 56215 battles
  • [XEQTE] XEQTE

View PostTungstenHitman, on 08 October 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

..I mean even with premium account these sorts of "wins" are surely unsustainable, not even taking into account the 40-45% losses for every win this isn't something worth getting excited about or applauding.. I don't understand how this is supposed to be a positive change or game feature/battle mode? This looks like it's preying on those that really can't control the urge to keep trying or step away from the desire to win. I know this feeling we all have it on some level but this is just taking advantage of those that have really no "stop" button in them and I just don't like to see ppl get taken advantage of in life. I can buy pretty much anything I want too but I'm not a stupid person. It's ok for this guy who makes a living with Google adds and attached YouTube adds and donations etc to come and spam gold like a mother foker and say its a big thumbs up but I hope others have the sense not to get baited by this or WG's transparent money trap.

Ranked battles are not so black and white as you make them out to be. There's more to in than amount of credits you're going to lose vs amount of bonds you'll receive. 

You get to play with and against very good players, players focus on different areas on the map, they try to play as a team, they have map awareness, whole meta is generally different compared to random battles. A dose of this gameplay can most certainly be appealing to some players. At the end you get bonds for improved equipment, so it's not like you played the whole thing for nothing. I'm sure that people who enjoyed the battles themselves would be happy even with some fancy camo.

On the other hand if you have zero fun during actual battle and you're doing the whole thing just for the sake of bonds, then ranked battles are really a waste of time. Actually when I think about it they're worse than waste of time, since the reward is not nearly good enough to compensate for the time you could've had fun. 

Kartoshkaya #9 Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 20876 battles
The only reason I like the mode is because I can play with and against very good players in a random battle like game mode.

Strappster #10 Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:44 AM

General

• Player
  • 23556 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostKartoshkaya, on 09 October 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

The only reason I like the mode is because I can play with and against very good players in a random battle like game mode.

I understand. I have to be carried a lot too.

gagahauba #11 Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 55805 battles

Ranked battles sucks. Waste of time and credits.
Wargaming sucks again !!!!

clixor #12 Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 49581 battles

View PostWarzey, on 09 October 2017 - 01:31 AM, said:

Ranked battles are not so black and white as you make them out to be. There's more to in than amount of credits you're going to lose vs amount of bonds you'll receive. 

You get to play with and against very good players, players focus on different areas on the map, they try to play as a team, they have map awareness, whole meta is generally different compared to random battles. A dose of this gameplay can most certainly be appealing to some players. At the end you get bonds for improved equipment, so it's not like you played the whole thing for nothing. I'm sure that people who enjoyed the battles themselves would be happy even with some fancy camo.

On the other hand if you have zero fun during actual battle and you're doing the whole thing just for the sake of bonds, then ranked battles are really a waste of time. Actually when I think about it they're worse than waste of time, since the reward is not nearly good enough to compensate for the time you could've had fun. 

a little correction, if you end up gold/silver league you get enough bonds for improved equipment. Don't know exactly what amount of bonds we are talking about this season, but last season i ended up in bronze league and didn't even get enough bonds for one piece of (useful) equipment. So, eventually i will get enough bonds for one piece, but it's not that currently you play RB for that reward.

I agree with the gamplay though, for players who don't have time to be in clans etc. it offers a bit similar gameplay but then solo.

OreH75 #13 Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:00 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 46058 battles
  • [3V] 3V

He is tryharding to reach rank 4, couldnt care less what he shoots. I only fired HEAT at SuperHeavy crapand other 907's :P

By the way this battle surely shows the ultimate failure of allowing arty in skilled MM or do you think the only yellow-49%-player in the game would be able to achieve rank 3 by playing normal tanks? 

eWUOyrY.jpg

brumbarr #14 Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postclixor, on 09 October 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

a little correction, if you end up gold/silver league you get enough bonds for improved equipment. Don't know exactly what amount of bonds we are talking about this season, but last season i ended up in bronze league and didn't even get enough bonds for one piece of (useful) equipment. So, eventually i will get enough bonds for one piece, but it's not that currently you play RB for that reward.

I agree with the gamplay though, for players who don't have time to be in clans etc. it offers a bit similar gameplay but then solo.

I have 2300 bonds after 3 seasons hurray!

Will only take 2 more seasons to get something usefull :p

ogremage #15 Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 31601 battles
I got to Rank 3 without gold ammo on week 3, then started try-harding with APCR in IS-7 and got to Rank 4. But those are the rules, you either play or not.

Jumping_Turtle #16 Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 58563 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View PostOreH75, on 09 October 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

By the way this battle surely shows the ultimate failure of allowing arty in skilled MM or do you think the only yellow-49%-player in the game would be able to achieve rank 3 by playing normal tanks?

Agreed. I only go to rank 2 every week to collect 300 bonds and use my Obj. 261 for that since it is really the easiest way to acchieve that. Takes me no more than an hour each week.

They should not allow arties and rewards tank in the ranking mode is my opinion to make it as fair as possible.

Jumping_Turtle #17 Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 58563 battles
  • [CNUT] CNUT

View Postbrumbarr, on 09 October 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Same here. Going to rank 2 every week in each season and getting some at tier X battles. am at 2400 now I believe. But I am not spending hours and hours playing ranked so no problem for me it takes a bit longer.

And the benefit is that I have more time to think what kind of equipment I want and on what tank I will put it ... because I still have no idea ...

The_Georgian_One #18 Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33735 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

View PostOreH75, on 09 October 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

He is tryharding to reach rank 4, couldnt care less what he shoots. I only fired HEAT at SuperHeavy crapand other 907's :P

I love the moment when, even though he knows he will be shooting batchat, he still has HEAT loaded only to bounce it of BC's turret. Epic.

Press2ForSkill #19 Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14549 battles
  • [E-5OM] E-5OM

View Postbrumbarr, on 09 October 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

i think u meant 2 seasons? Or am i missing something ? :D And ha i have 2497 bonds.. boom. #Pro #jk

On a more serious note though:

i think it is really stupid how people moan about losing so much credits in ranked, like in QB's vid, he shoots HEAT at tanks that can be easily penned, people spam gold in ranked for absolutely no reason, i got rank 2, rank 3, rank 2, and got into the 3rd league, without shooting gold even ONCE.. i was full AP, (or sometimes HESH for troll in fv215b :P ), i actually made a profit playing ranked battle and i got into the 3rd league, if i actually had better tanks for this game mode and actually tried playing better, i wouldve gotten 2nd league easily also

ZlatanArKung #20 Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
Gameplay being better then randoms due to better players?
My experience from rank 5 in season one only thought me that gameplay was worse in ranked than in random.

And a few reasons are.
No incentive to push, since it might put you in buttom 5 in a win.
Incentive to play passive, since getting top 5 of losers doesn't lose a chevron.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users