"Arty is easy to play" is the biggest misconception.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

RandomBlank #1 Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:44 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10346 battles

Lots of arguments around arty revolve around the arguments "Arty is easy to play", "Arty takes no skill."

The problem - the misconception - comes from the fact that bad arty play is punished only in the long run. It's easy to have an okay game in arty. It's okay to do some damage, land somewhere in the upper half of the team damage-wise, get some kills, get XP, come up with net plus on credits. The only thing that will suffer in the long run will be your WR.

It's very easy to be a 46-48% WR arty player. It's easy to be an okay arty player. The big thing is "okay player" is not enough.

If you want WR above 50%, you need to be significantly better than the enemy arty player.

You need to know strengths and weaknesses of your SPG. You need to know the points on the map, choke points where to pre-aim to get the fast tank, poor covers, openings. You need to know how to hit to maximize the damage. You must know how to use splash to kill off scrubs hidden behind hard cover. Selecting best targets. Choosing target to maximize damage dealt by splash to neighbors. Going anti-arty and avoiding anti-arty fire. Relocating early enough to survive. Shotgunning the scouts that broke through, Knowing when and how to go TD, drive out and kill the enemy with direct fire, when to provide distraction to the last enemy so that your team mate could kill them, or when to go scout and die, to make that last camper to show up and get taken out by the one-shot teammate. How to aim to take out the enemy and not damage a friendly in the skirmish. Pick the most important flank to support, focus on the DPM dealers instead of most immediate, weaker threats. Know the arc and flight time of your shell, because one SPG can cover areas where another one is helpless.

Lots and lots of aspects an "okay" arty player simply doesn't know. Yeah, comparing to other tanks it's checkers vs chess. There are still big tournaments of checkers and nobody should doubt winning such a tournament takes skill, and much more skill than being a mediocre chess player.

ThebaldEagle #2 Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 757 battles

nice try op 

HAHAHAHA

Edited by ThebaldEagle, 09 October 2017 - 09:49 AM.

RandomBlank #3 Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10346 battles

View PostThebaldEagle, on 09 October 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

nice try op 

HAHAHAHA

...I've noticed you have very nice SPG stats. In tier 2. Tier 3, not so good anymore.

unhappy_bunny #4 Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

Major

• Player
  • 17997 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

I agree with your first post Op, and was about to say " wait for all the haters to pile in " but then you go and shoot yourself in the foot by replying to the first one that appears. Bad move.

and besides you won't get a constructive discussion on here.

Jigabachi #5 Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
When people call arty easy to play, they most definitely mean that compared to normal tanks. And that is completely true.

But playing it well is a completely different story.

Kozzy #6 Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

Major

• Player
  • 38855 battles
  • [EAB2] EAB2
Well, what other classes can you literally play one-handed and still be top damage on your team?  What other class can you 'miss' people to death?  Arty is the crayon-eaters class of choice for a reason and that reason is not 'because it's a challenge to play'.  

Edited by Kozzy, 09 October 2017 - 10:11 AM.

jack_timber #7 Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 33005 battles

View Postunhappy_bunny, on 09 October 2017 - 08:58 AM, said

and besides you won't get a constructive discussion on here.

You are so right...

Arty haters are queuing up as I type.

Shame really as arty is a fun class to play and yes agree with your post Op.

Nevertheless if it isn't arty that's getting the hate it's those cloaked TDs, yes two of my favourite class of tanks.

m3hm3d #8 Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23001 battles

View PostRandomBlank, on 09 October 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

...I've noticed you have very nice SPG stats. In tier 2. Tier 3, not so good anymore.

I have notice you even have no 50 % win rate 

SirTogII #9 Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 47014 battles
  • [REQT] REQT
It's not a misconception. Arty IS easy to play. The fact that there's a difference between a mediocre arty player and a good one doesn't change that fact.
If they added smoke shells that could help an advance at least it would be a proper support class but I suppose it would be hard to gauge the xp for that

tajj7 #10 Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25144 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

In a word no. 

Arty is easy to play, multiple examples show that -

1. People who have never played the game before can with 20-30s of instruction play arty to a competent level and influence games. Multiple streamers have shown this, using the friends or GFs jumping onto the game for the first time and within seconds they are hitting and damaging tanks. IIRC Anfield's GF one shot a T34 with her second shot ever fired, just with Anfield over her shoulder giving her a few tips. 

2. Then you have Circon who got something like top damage or top 3 in damage just by using his forehead and QB played arty pretty well literally just using his eyes. Anfield IIRC did a top damaging arty game where he literally went and sat down elsewhere in the room between shots. 

3. Then you have multiple arties at higher tiers show a clear boost to average and below average players, you see 48% WR overall players who in most (balanced) tier 10s struggle to get 45-46% WRs but in tier 10 arties they perform at or even above their win rate.  A quick perusal of WOT-News win rates curves shows all tier 10 arties make most 50% WR players and below play at their overall win rate or above. So for most players it is much easier to be useful in tier 10 in an artillery than it is in say a T-62A, with the obvious reason being artillery is easy to play. 

That is not to say skill doesn't play a role in artillery play, but a lot lot less than other classes, even base camping TDs require a little more participation by the player. 

And no you don't really need to be better than the other arty player, you generally just need a bit of decent RNG. 

Just because some of the worst players fail in the easiest class to play, does not make that class not easy to play.  Hell if most arty players didn't XVM focus and actually chose targets based on the threat to their team, they'd instantly be more useful and win more. Add in an occasional look at the mini-map and they'd be golden. 

The skill set needed for arty is basically tiny, hell I think the recent changes have probably made it even easier now it aims and hits more often, plus has the big splash. As long as you can click a map, you can do well with arty, you don't even need your keyboard, in most games you'll be fine where you spawn.  Counter battery just doesn't exist, if people are doing counter battery in a random game then they are generally going to be useless because they'll waste so much time and shots trying to kill enemy arty that they are doing nothing to the enemy team.

It is not checker and chess, that is an insult to checkers players. 

It's hungry hungry hippos and chess. 

Hardass #11 Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 32808 battles

9-10 times i have hot a player with my arty its because he was A out in the open and begging to get clicked or B sat right at the back of the map thinking he's not spotted.

9-10 times i have died in my arty is A last player left on team or B i F****D up.

Asklepi0s #12 Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

• 6170 battles
  • [WG_M] WG_M
Due to the high number of Artillery threads, we want discussions to take place in the main pinned thread here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users