SPG PM sets

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Mr_Beefy #1 Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23741 battles
  • [OZ77] OZ77

In general, the missions are not hard to do from the perspective of the player.  

The issue is, that you have to rely on your team to actually damage the tanks you stun/de-track.

I think in the next set, there should be more focus on actually getting the confederate medal, and hitting 8 or more tanks.  Missions that rely on the player doing the right thing and not focusing on TD/HT like in 1 mission (how daft is that, due to a PM, a player will prefer to shoot their mission target rather then shoot the tanks that need to be de-tracked or damaged or stunned in order to help the team)

SPG's are now a support vehicle, not a damage inducing tool.  Rooting out Hull Down IS7's and Meds and Jageroo's and stunning them to oblivion.  The missions should reflect that in the new set coming January 2018 or (when it's done it's done).

Bennie182 #2 Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54872 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A

"..more focus on actually getting the confederate medal, and hitting 8 or more tanks."

This will cause the player to still focus on hitting different tanks, instead of supporting to win.

Balc0ra #3 Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 67337 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Stock gun on the M53/55 and stun missions are done rather fast. 12 to 20 sec stun on a 23 sec reload. So if you get the HT line push. It's rather easy to farm assists, or stun timers. Did just about all the secondaries I needed on the T28 and T-55 in a day or two with that. Even did SPG-15 for the Obj with the stock gun. HT line on Redshire or Arctic region is perfect for it.

And forcing players to hit 8 or more targets can have a negative effect to. As once he is done hitting everyone on a needed flank that is out gunned, his focus will shift to the 5 vs 2 up north instead that don't need help, just to hit more targets.

Edited by Balc0ra, 11 October 2017 - 06:03 PM.

Homer_J #4 Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29674 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMr_Beefy, on 11 October 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

In general, the missions are not hard to do from the perspective of the player.  

The issue is, that you have to rely on your team to actually damage the tanks you stun/de-track.

Two ways to increase the assist you get.

If you have other arty then all pick on the same target, or clump of targets.  Don't worry they will sit there while you all smack them repeatedly.

The other method is to pick on tanks which are already being actively engaged by your team mates.  Picking on those tough dug in hull down targets won't get you anything.

Version43 #5 Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6972 battles
  • [0N] 0N

View PostBennie182, on 11 October 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

"..more focus on actually getting the confederate medal, and hitting 8 or more tanks."

This will cause the player to still focus on hitting different tanks, instead of supporting to win.

They are not mutually exclusive. I actually try to hit at least 6 in long enough engagements. People who have just been hit will keep hiding a bit so if there is a good target on the other side i just aim for that. Lots of people run with the "Arty shot me on A2 and is now on reload" mod so on the other side they think arty is focussing there while i am already aiming on their position. Then you try to hit/detrack them in positions that give good assist if you can.

And you can combine all kind of shots. Camper TD who is possibly still in that bush. Sometimes you hit it and that helps the team win at least because he is not full HP.

If there are no good frontline engagements and there is enough arty in game i scout the usual spots for CB fire with my inbuilt sattelite view. Every arty you kill with CB fire frees up your team a bit more. 

Mr_Beefy #6 Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23741 battles
  • [OZ77] OZ77

My trouble is not doing the missions, since I have all sets complete.

My issue is that you have to rely on others to get you through the missions.  Thus they are not personal missions.

With the way arty has been changed, spg's are far more accurate, much less aim to the left of the target, and shot goes haywire to the right.  With the increased splash radius, you can also almost reliably de-track/stun(for shorter periods) enemy and friendly tanks at a radius that was GC/T92 levels pre-change.  So I think that the team that determines the next set of SPG missions must try to make the missions more player skill dependant rather then relying on one's team.  Unless PM's can be completed in SH/Advances, now that the team selection is random and not Team A deciding who will be Team B, then no one should have any trouble completing SPG sets since one can rely on his clan mates.

magkiln #7 Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24689 battles
  • [EKKE] EKKE

View PostMr_Beefy, on 12 October 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

My trouble is not doing the missions, since I have all sets complete.

My issue is that you have to rely on others to get you through the missions.  Thus they are not personal missions.

With the way arty has been changed, spg's are far more accurate, much less aim to the left of the target, and shot goes haywire to the right.  With the increased splash radius, you can also almost reliably de-track/stun(for shorter periods) enemy and friendly tanks at a radius that was GC/T92 levels pre-change.  So I think that the team that determines the next set of SPG missions must try to make the missions more player skill dependant rather then relying on one's team.  Unless PM's can be completed in SH/Advances, now that the team selection is random and not Team A deciding who will be Team B, then no one should have any trouble completing SPG sets since one can rely on his clan mates.

It's hardly a unique SPG problem. Ever try to complete a light tank mission? I got sick and tired of the Stug IV LT:15. Sitting in a bush, watching enemy heavy tanks drive by, waiting for artillery/tank destroyer/ anyone to take a shot. For the T28hpc I didn't even try. Just got the other four with honours and called it a day.

Mr_Beefy #8 Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23741 battles
  • [OZ77] OZ77

View Postmagkiln, on 12 October 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

It's hardly a unique SPG problem. Ever try to complete a light tank mission? I got sick and tired of the Stug IV LT:15. Sitting in a bush, watching enemy heavy tanks drive by, waiting for artillery/tank destroyer/ anyone to take a shot. For the T28hpc I didn't even try. Just got the other four with honours and called it a day.

Yes, but at least in LT15 you can supplement the requirement with damage that your gun does as well.

Active spotting works as well.  Not yolo spotting.  And your own skill counts for several missions in which you also need to survive.  In an spg, in order to survive, now that you cant 1 shot tanks, you completely rely on your team.

SPG sets are the last sets that I personally complete, and that is just for the 4 crew that you get.  The point stands, the missions have to be less team dependant.

Captain_Kremen0 #9 Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37581 battles
  • [TFMB] TFMB

View Postmagkiln, on 12 October 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Been stuck on this for yonks with T71 and LTTB. Hey ho keep going.

Anxter_ #10 Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26602 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I'd rather there weren't any SPG missions to begin with. It just forces people to play the class more if they want to get the rewards, which makes people play it more and highlights the bad parts of the game so much more. 

3 arty every game means no one gets to do their mission AND nobody gets to have fun.

K_A #11 Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13651 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I actually find it easier to deal damage with the new arty. You get more consistent couple hundred damage in a more rapid succession, which adds up as the game gets longer, whereas the old arty you were totally reliant on those one or two big hits you might or might not be granted by RNGesus during the whole battle.

Mr_Beefy #12 Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23741 battles
  • [OZ77] OZ77

View PostAnxter_, on 12 October 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

I'd rather there weren't any SPG missions to begin with. It just forces people to play the class more if they want to get the rewards, which makes people play it more and highlights the bad parts of the game so much more. 

3 arty every game means no one gets to do their mission AND nobody gets to have fun.

​I agree.  Getting focused by arty is not fun.  However, given that WG are not removing arty, and probably not going to reduce the max from 3 to 2, and the fact that completing the spg sets give 4 female crew, it would be best if they optimize spg missions further.

Aikl #13 Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25996 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

I don't really see WG fixing missions that are brilliant credit sinks. Tons of premium arty shells flying about, and from what I hear people are even using food on them - because the effect of food and equipment arguably is even more useful on arty than on regular tanks, due to dispersion and aim time.

Anyway, maybe some rebalance would be in order. I picked the wrong arty lines back in the day - the French were attractive because of speed and accuracy (while keeping a decent gun), and the Soviets were one-shot killing machines with glacial aiming times. Thank heavens I completed the old ones up to T28HTC - and that you don't need a full set of girls for every tank anymore. :rolleyes:

K_A #14 Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13651 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAikl, on 12 October 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

Anyway, maybe some rebalance would be in order. I picked the wrong arty lines back in the day - the French were attractive because of speed and accuracy (while keeping a decent gun), and the Soviets were one-shot killing machines with glacial aiming times. Thank heavens I completed the old ones up to T28HTC - and that you don't need a full set of girls for every tank anymore. :rolleyes:

Yeh, I too picked the russkies back in the day because it was the easiest to get into without having the crapshow of having to grind lower tier arty, just jump right in at tier 7 with a 203mm gun. Not the best choice of lines nowadays.. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users