Pushing a flank

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Etre_ #21 Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52653 battles
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB

I'm using lighting bulbs mod that shows what tanks have been spotted and which are currently spotted. If I notice a huge imbalance in sides, I either push myself if I'm close enough or I announce in chat that they can push the side. Sometimes they listen, other times not ....

For same purpose, I use an icon mod to distinguish more easily, at a glance, the type of tanks left unspotted.

Edited by Etre_, 12 October 2017 - 05:46 PM.

Uebergewicht #22 Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11702 battles

View PostEtre_, on 12 October 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

I'm using lighting bulbs mod that shows what tanks have been spotted and which are currently spotted. If I notice a huge imbalance in sides, I either push myself if I'm close enough or I announce in chat that they can push the side. Sometimes they listen, other times not ....

For same purpose, I use an icon mod to distinguish more easily, at a glance, the type of tanks left unspotted.

Maybe you shouldnt be so vocal about that. Wargaming´s policy on mods is something like "If it gives you information you could otherwise not or hardly obtain, it is illegal". So, similar to mods that show red lines where tanks are aiming, a mod that shows you which tanks on your team are currently spotted reeks of illegality by WG standards.

Regarding the topics, yeah, scaredy cats that dont want to push and advantage are a common sight in WoT. I´m usually going for the "lead by example" approach, provided I can take a hit with at least some probability, which works often enough. However there were also plenty of rage-inducing moments where I pretty much sacrificed my tank, hoping that pubbies would come with me, but they didn´t.  That´s one of the great advantages of platoon play, having buddies with you that you can rely on to come with you. Even when I´m platooning with relatively new players who dont do too well yet, having them by my side is a great advantage: "I cant take a hit, pull a shot from that guy so we can both move in and overwhelm him".

Cant really give you general advice for these situations in pubs, though, it depends very much on the exact situation you are in. Though one gets better in judging that over time. If you play to win and instead of playing to farm, initiating the push yourself tends to work more often than not, simply because people are greedy and want to damage enemies that just spent their shot on you. But be prepaired to be let down on occasions and having horrible games as a result. Don´t do that if you´re grinding marks or anything.

Holding out against enemy numbers while your team lemming trains the other flank can sometimes work, usually for the same reasons that leading a push can fail... many tankers are scared to take hits and you can often abuse that. Probably not alone, but even one other tank can be enough to deter lesser players from rushing into you, because they also often know they´re gonna lose a 2 on 1 and their mates cannot always be trusted to move up. One special tip I can give you - if you ever hold a place in an autoloader, dont ever show the enemy when you are reloading. Many folks don´t count your shots, and even if they do, if you let some time pass between your rounds they can never be sure you prematurely reloaded. Nobody wants to rush into a loaded autoloader, so make sure to not just run away, maybe even fake-poke while you´re reloading, and relish in the fear of your enemies cowering behind the corner, afraid for their precious HP.

Etre_ #23 Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 52653 battles
  • [WEBOB] WEBOB

View PostUebergewicht, on 12 October 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

Maybe you shouldnt be so vocal about that. Wargaming´s policy on mods is something like "If it gives you information you could otherwise not or hardly obtain, it is illegal". So, similar to mods that show red lines where tanks are aiming, a mod that shows you which tanks on your team are currently spotted reeks of illegality by WG standards.

You miss understood what I said. I have a mod that is putting a lighting bulb in the list of tanks, for each tank that was spotted FROM THE ENEMY TEAM. That way I can quickly see which tanks are not spotted yet.

Anyway, there is a more precise guide now, about what is allowed and what not. Also, a list of forbidden mods was compiled on forums at the time when the guide was released and  as I remember a moderator vetted it (not that a forum mod has the final say in this).

Your quote is somewhat outdated. 

Edited by Etre_, 12 October 2017 - 07:27 PM.

Noo_Noo #24 Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 21651 battles

View PostUebergewicht, on 12 October 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

Regarding the topics, yeah, scaredy cats that dont want to push and advantage are a common sight in WoT. I´m usually going for the "lead by example" approach, provided I can take a hit with at least some probability, which works often enough. However there were also plenty of rage-inducing moments where I pretty much sacrificed my tank, hoping that pubbies would come with me, but they didn´t.  That´s one of the great advantages of platoon play, having buddies with you that you can rely on to come with you. Even when I´m platooning with relatively new players who dont do too well yet, having them by my side is a great advantage: "I cant take a hit, pull a shot from that guy so we can both move in and overwhelm him".

Cant really give you general advice for these situations in pubs, though, it depends very much on the exact situation you are in. Though one gets better in judging that over time. If you play to win and instead of playing to farm, initiating the push yourself tends to work more often than not, simply because people are greedy and want to damage enemies that just spent their shot on you. But be prepaired to be let down on occasions and having horrible games as a result. Don´t do that if you´re grinding marks or anything.

Holding out against enemy numbers while your team lemming trains the other flank can sometimes work, usually for the same reasons that leading a push can fail... many tankers are scared to take hits and you can often abuse that. Probably not alone, but even one other tank can be enough to deter lesser players from rushing into you, because they also often know they´re gonna lose a 2 on 1 and their mates cannot always be trusted to move up. One special tip I can give you - if you ever hold a place in an autoloader, dont ever show the enemy when you are reloading. Many folks don´t count your shots, and even if they do, if you let some time pass between your rounds they can never be sure you prematurely reloaded. Nobody wants to rush into a loaded autoloader, so make sure to not just run away, maybe even fake-poke while you´re reloading, and relish in the fear of your enemies cowering behind the corner, afraid for their precious HP.

Cheers. I think XVM does that light bulb thing. It used to show which tanks were spotted and which one's weren't. Quite useful to be fair but I don't use it anymore. Far less stressful to play without it. I'm trying to see and react to the way things happen during the battle rather than trying to judge player ability before the game. 

Otherwise good advice thanks.  

Captain_Kremen0 #25 Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37279 battles

View PostNoo_Noo, on 12 October 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

Cheers. I think XVM does that light bulb thing. It used to show which tanks were spotted and which one's weren't. Quite useful to be fair but I don't use it anymore. Far less stressful to play without it. I'm trying to see and react to the way things happen during the battle rather than trying to judge player ability before the game. 

Otherwise good advice thanks.  

Its a ...useful tool, along with the forumite mod. Just lose the stats.

BicycleOfDeath #26 Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:29 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15698 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostRati_Festa, on 12 October 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

T10, t44, lakeview valley doesnt paint a very good picture of ur tank placement. Never go in that valley ever, never go in that valley when ur bottom tier ever, never go in that valley in a light or med cos u lose ur main asset ( speed ).

Pushing flanks only works with decent support, i play quite aggresively and the amount of games lost due to pure timid play is frustrating.

Oh yeah I normally would never go valley in anything, very rare that flank wins the game. In that game I was sitting in the middle road with nothing to shoot at and saw an opportunity to get my coward team to do something. Worked well that time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users