HD client for Mac OS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Jeremy_mm #1 Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:13 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8665 battles

Hi,

Just wonder if there any hope to see HD client for Mac OS X ?

I trust it would help massively and introduced your games to some fresh blood players, who not only want, but those who can.

Regards

Shaking_Sniper #2 Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 345 battles

View PostJeremy_mm, on 12 October 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

Hi,

I trust it would help massively and introduced your games to some fresh blood players, who not only want, but those who can.

Regards

Sorry Jeremy but Macs can't use the HD client in native OS X due to the limitations of the the wrapper (the wine engine is 32 bit).

That being said, It's not worth using HD Client due to the FPS drop by half and increased ping. If you have the new snazzy macs (So want one, stuck with this one for now:iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 20-Inch (Al) Specs (Mid-2007 ... - EveryMac.com) you can play at 4K on the highest resolutions in SD client.

death_weasel #3 Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 201 battles

View PostJeremy_mm, on 12 October 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Hi,

Regards

View PostShaking_Sniper, on 05 December 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Sorry Jeremy but Macs can't use the HD client in native OS X due to the limitations of the the wrapper (the wine engine is 32 bit).

That being said, It's not worth using HD Client due to the FPS drop by half and increased ping. If you have the new snazzy macs (So want one, stuck with this one for now:iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 20-Inch (Al) Specs (Mid-2007 ... - EveryMac.com) you can play at 4K on the highest resolutions in SD client.

Jeremy_mm,

Shaking_Sniper is correct in that the limitation is with the WoT Mac Wrapper and the version of WINE used by CodeWeaves - NOT macOS.  

Also the native MS Windows game is 32-bit which requires WOW64 to run on 64-bit MS Windows which adds to the complexity.   The HD-version requires 4GB accessible memory and WOW64 allows 32-bit apps to access this amount [32-bit apps can only use 3GB accessible memory].  Individuals running 32-bit MS Windows cannot use the HD-client due to this.

Once the MS Windows game moves to 64-bit and Apple addresses a memory allocation issue in RAM [macOS over-writes a specific block that MS Windows 64-bit expects to be left alone - CodeWeavers has been in correspondence with Apple about this and IIRC CodeWeavers has a work-around if not addressed by Apple].  CodeWeavers then needs to have the 64-bit WoT Mac Wrapper they create approved by WarGaming. Then that version can released and the HD-client will be exposed for macOS users in the WoT Mac Wrapper.  So do not hold your breath...

Right now us owners of 64-bit Intel-based Apple-branded hardware are in a sweet spot as we can run 64-bit MS Windows for when you can run the HD-client, to run the Super-Test client, and/or the Common-Test client when you want and then boot back into macOS when you want.  I have my iMac 5K Retina and MacBook Pro Retina set up this way.

The WoT Mac Wrapper - SD Client looks very very close to the native HD-client on the internal 5K screen on my iMac [running at 2560x1440 - billions of colors as it is a dual-screen setup with both monitors at that resolution] and the MacBook Pro [2560x1440 - millions of colors] that I also do not think it is worth using the HD-client with MS Windows due to the associated drop in FPS and increase in ping.

64-bit Linux does not have the same limitation as macOS of only being able to run the SD-client since you can compile the game with 64-bit WINE.  I have not gone back to running Linux as IIRC you need to disable SIP for the boot-loader.

Had to wipe, and completely reinstall 64-bit MS Windows 10 Pro last night and it only took 30 minutes to complete on my iMac with Boot Camp [this includes updating MS Windows as well] so I am very happy with my current OS setup.

Shaking_Sniper,

The latest iMacs are indeed looking really good - the middle/upper models of the 21.5 inch come with dedicated video cards [2GB and 4GB respectively] with a 4K screen and the lower/middle models of the 27-inch have a 4GB dedicated video card with a 5K screen.  The top model of the 27-inch comes with a dedicated 8GB RADEON Pro card. Also since they all come with Thunderbolt 3 you can use an external eGPU to run apps on a second screen under macOS High Sierra to extract even more performance.

I am currently waiting on upgrading on whether Apple will support an external Thunderbolt monitor with an eGPU [currently they do not but IIRC Craig F said that they would be enabling soon].  If so, then I am so getting an eGPU even though the through-put in lower with Thunderbolt 2.

NVIDIA has released native macOS drivers for all of their 10X0 cards. AMD cards are supported natively in macOS High Sierra.

Good times ahead ...

Edited by death_weasel, 09 December 2017 - 09:17 PM.

death_weasel #4 Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 201 battles

View Postdeath_weasel, on 09 December 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

Jeremy_mm,

Shaking_Sniper is correct in that the limitation is with the WoT Mac Wrapper and the version of WINE used by CodeWeaves - NOT macOS.  

Also the native MS Windows game is 32-bit which requires WOW64 to run on 64-bit MS Windows which adds to the complexity.   The HD-version requires 4GB accessible memory and WOW64 allows 32-bit apps to access this amount [32-bit apps can only use 3GB accessible memory].  Individuals running 32-bit MS Windows cannot use the HD-client due to this.

Once the MS Windows game moves to 64-bit and Apple addresses a memory allocation issue in RAM [macOS over-writes a specific block that MS Windows 64-bit expects to be left alone - CodeWeavers has been in correspondence with Apple about this and IIRC CodeWeavers has a work-around if not addressed by Apple].  CodeWeavers then needs to have the 64-bit WoT Mac Wrapper they create approved by WarGaming. Then that version can released and the HD-client will be exposed for macOS users in the WoT Mac Wrapper.  So do not hold your breath...

Right now us owners of 64-bit Intel-based Apple-branded hardware are in a sweet spot as we can run 64-bit MS Windows for when you can run the HD-client, to run the Super-Test client, and/or the Common-Test client when you want and then boot back into macOS when you want.  I have my iMac 5K Retina and MacBook Pro Retina set up this way.

The WoT Mac Wrapper - SD Client looks very very close to the native HD-client on the internal 5K screen on my iMac [running at 2560x1440 - billions of colors as it is a dual-screen setup with both monitors at that resolution] and the MacBook Pro [2560x1440 - millions of colors] that I also do not think it is worth using the HD-client with MS Windows due to the associated drop in FPS and increase in ping.

64-bit Linux does not have the same limitation as macOS of only being able to run the SD-client since you can compile the game with 64-bit WINE.  I have not gone back to running Linux as IIRC you need to disable SIP for the boot-loader.

Had to wipe, and completely reinstall 64-bit MS Windows 10 Pro last night and it only took 30 minutes to complete on my iMac with Boot Camp [this includes updating MS Windows as well] so I am very happy with my current OS setup.

Shaking_Sniper,

The latest iMacs are indeed looking really good - the middle/upper models of the 21.5 inch come with dedicated video cards [2GB and 4GB respectively] with a 4K screen and the lower/middle models of the 27-inch have a 4GB dedicated video card with a 5K screen.  The top model of the 27-inch comes with a dedicated 8GB RADEON Pro card. Also since they all come with Thunderbolt 3 you can use an external eGPU to run apps on a second screen under macOS High Sierra to extract even more performance.

I am currently waiting on upgrading on whether Apple will support an external Thunderbolt monitor with an eGPU [currently they do not but IIRC Craig F said that they would be enabling soon].  If so, then I am so getting an eGPU even though the through-put in lower with Thunderbolt 2.

NVIDIA has released native macOS drivers for all of their 10X0 cards. AMD cards are supported natively in macOS High Sierra.

Good times ahead ...

My understanding is that CodeWeavers submitted a 64-bit version of the WoT Mac Wrapper [WoTMW] in Q4 of 2018.

It apparently corrects a memory leak in the current 32-bit WoTMW.

Not sure why Wargaming has not approved the 32-bit WoTMW yet though ... perhaps users of the WoTMW can start inquiring with Community Contributors ...

Captain_Tickle #5 Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 27332 battles
Any update on the 64 bit wrapper?

Edited by Captain_Tickle, 10 August 2019 - 05:09 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users