• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Medoda1190 #1 Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 37 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

Hello.

I'm intrigued to return to WoT after a lengthy hiatus, having last played around Dec '16 / Jan '17.

My service record is mere ~40 battles, mainly on Soviet tanks and a few on Swedish when the tech tree was just released.

However I did originally play in closed beta under different account, however I was unable to recover said account.

I can't see myself having played more than 100 battles during CB, though.

I have a bad habit of picking up one of WarGaming's games for a few weeks, spend some money and then disappear for months end again.

I'd like to know how the game is generally doing and try to put some more effort into my 'service record' as well.

I mainly play solo. I had a friend play it a bit with me last time but I doubt he'd come back, not really his cup of tea.

I haven't tested clans in WoT. With a relatively large playerbase I'd reckon there's something for everyone, though I guess I still should hone my skills first before considering a clan.

For some reason - I guess it's pretty easy to tell even beforehand - I think the trio of WarGaming's games from most popular to least popular is WoT, WoWS and WoWP.

Even by not having played WoT this year at all, their market and media presence is ever growing, bumping into something about WoT or WarGaming ever so often.

Has there been any mention about Finnish tech tree by a chance? It would mostly be captured Soviet tanks though, but even a few Finn premium tanks would be fine by me. ;p

The massive grind and my nature of competitiveness combined with expecting fast results don't always work hand in hand with these sort of games.

I'd like to learn manage my expectations accordingly and consistently play the game for a longer period of time than mere weeks, because I'm a world war history buff and I still believe WoT is one of the best modern WWII tank games, despite heavy grinding and some questionable business ideologies enforced by WarGaming.

How about some tips for a returning player?

I loved playing artillery in CB and I did play it a little late last year too, but I guess without proper map knowledge and such you're mostly a waste of space for your team.

Are there major differences currently between tech trees? I prefer from tanks something in the middle; not insanely fast but ridiculously squishy and not insanely slow but ridiculously heavy hitting (at slow fire rate).

Like a medium tank or so.

Any tips on how to play tank destroyers?

I liked PVLVV FM/42 from Sweden but TD gameplay seems like it's gonna take a while to get used to.

Cheers!

K_A #2 Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:12 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 12787 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
For now, at the very beginning, I'd just go out, shoot at the red tanks and try to familiarize with the maps a bit :) Get yourself a couple tier 5 tanks and play up to there and you'll start to see what the game is actually about, it's a whole lot different than what tiers 1-3 are.

upsetti_spaghetti #3 Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:16 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8566 battles
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC

Hello and welcome back.

1) if you don't have any premium time/tanks I would recommend grabbing a referral code so u get some freebies.

2) Russian mediums - Fast, decently armored and only tier 7 is crap. (Like most nations anyways). Americans are very well rounded and french also competitive at late tiers.

3) New MM, read about it so you know what you might expect as you progress in the game.

4) Swedish TD's tier 8,9,10 are all the rage, by that i mean they camp at the back of the back 90% of the time doing nothing.

5) Chinese TD's are russian copies, they are fast and hit hard (if you hit). Germans got the light armored turreted at tier 8, 9, 10 they hit like a truck and from what I heard on the St.Emil is a pain in the [edited].

6)Heavies Russian heavies IS line. Relatively fast, low armor till tier 8 but good guns. Tier 8 onwards you get speed, armor and guns (You can actually move around the map). Swedish got the Emil fast, low armor(except turret) with auto loader. China @ tier 8,9,10 good tanks. Brits getting buffed 8,9,10 good. (these are relatively fast tanks with little armor)

Edited by upsetti_spaghetti, 13 October 2017 - 01:17 AM.

discontinued #4 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2256 battles

I would just play and try to learn the maps

I also wish there was a Finnish line as well,

In WW2 they used a real mish mash of tanks,some German some captured Ruski ones as well

Order of battle 1944
  • 1st Armoured Battalion (T-26, T-26E), Armoured car company with FAIs and BA-10s.
  • 2nd Armoured Battalion (T-26, T-26E, heavy company with KV-1s, T-28s and T-34s)
  • Armoured AA Battery (Landsverk Anti II)
  • Assault Gun Battalion (StuG IIIG)
  • Armoured Training Battalion (older types and a few T-26s)

Post war they used of things the British  British Charioteer Mk VII Model B for most of the Cold War: 38 were obtained in 1958, which served until 1980.
The 
Comet Mk I Model B was also briefly used (1960 to 1971), 41 second-hand being pressed into service.

They now use a variant of the Leopard

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/Finland.php

Avoid the Japanese medium tanks if unless you enjoy masochism.The heavies on the other hand are quite fun. 

Edited by discontinued, 13 October 2017 - 10:47 AM.

Headless_Rooster #5 Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8195 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

Hi Medoda,

The  lower tiers 1-3 arn't really indicative of tactics or gameplay in the rest of the game, so just grind past the low tiers and learn the maps, where each class of tanks tend to go etc. get to tier 5 and stick around a while to learn the game - spend as much time viewing youtube guides as you do playing - 4tankers series on where to go would be a good place to start on youtube https://www.youtube....7gkqUqpaKKCGUUJ

Sir Havocs WoT University bootcamp series is a good place to start getting to grips with game mechanics/how to play too, if you prioritise learning spotting mechanics/viewrage you can't go far wrong https://www.youtube....jVh2XXtnbmewSJz

If you eventually want to get into team play/skirmishes (which starts at tier 6) you can't really go wrong with a tier 6 Cromwell, so the Brit line of fast Meds would be a good grinding choice when you start off. For Tier 8 team games you can't go wrong with a tier 8 IS3, the russian IS line of relatively fast heavys is probably the most new player firendly line in the game, and leads to the tier X IS7 which you can eventually use in CW battles.

I'm having great fun with the Russian Meds atm too.

Lower tier keepers for me have been:

PZIC tier 3 german LT, one of the fastest tanks in the game, with fast firing an auto cannon, learn to auto-aim, circle of death firing, run away at supersonic speed to reload, it leads to the tier 4 Luchs which is also great fun, one of, if not the best tier for tier LT in the game.

Teir 4 British MT Matilda, heavily armoured with a deadly fast firing pew pew gun, it's a very slow but few tanks in it's tier can pen it frontally, while they're trying you can usually out DPM them! Play it like a HT.

Teir 5 Russian MT T-34, great mobility with a fast firing pew pew gun (higher tiers of this line are also great tanks - cept maybe the tier 7 as has already been pointed out)

Tier 4 American TD the M8A1, and it's tier 5 sister the statpadders dream T67 - TD's with turrets, great camo, good fast firing fun!

For the Arty missions I did the Brit line, Bishop and Bert are good fun even tho they lack range they have a higher angle of death from the sky, but you'll need tier 7 to complete the missions so maybe look at a different line, maybe the French since the Lefh is a renound seal clubber!

Personal Missions: activate them all, you never know when you'll complete one! The free girly crew you win as a reward for completing the missions comes with a 100% skill, so use them for commmanders and you can have a brand new crew member with 6th sense straight away on a new tank!

Most important thing, good luck & have fun! See you on the battlefield :playing:

Edited by Headless_Rooster, 13 October 2017 - 11:41 AM.

siramra #6 Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24974 battles
  • [DUXTR] DUXTR
Play something else. Best killer tip you`ll get.

Medoda1190 #7 Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

Private

• Player
  • 37 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

Cheers for all the tips, especially the one above this (I think I'll take my chances with WoT for time being, though).

Are there any relatively helpful clans around?

If anyone has played or knows of a clan in EVE Online called Eve University. I guess something akin to that here on WoT would be pretty ideal for me to get started with.

I've got no clue what kind of clans WoT even has, will have to do some digging on that.

Headless_Rooster #8 Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8195 battles
  • [W-UNI] W-UNI

View PostMedoda1190, on 13 October 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

Cheers for all the tips, especially the one above this (I think I'll take my chances with WoT for time being, though).

Are there any relatively helpful clans around?

If anyone has played or knows of a clan in EVE Online called Eve University. I guess something akin to that here on WoT would be pretty ideal for me to get started with.

I've got no clue what kind of clans WoT even has, will have to do some digging on that.

You could be looking for WoT University! here's our recruitment thread :)http://forum.worldof...636062-wot-uni/

It's part of HavocX gaming community (6 EU clans, 3 NA clans etc.) Regular training, we also have a mentor program, plenty of tooning with clan members, regular tier 6 and 8 skirmishes/TB's even the odd bit of CW thesedays!

samuelx43a #9 Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16775 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
in regards to the sturer emil, once you get the pain that is the 105mm,the 128 is a beast, and the sturer emil turns to half mediocre to semi decent, the armour is rubbish however

roachex #10 Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19749 battles
  • [RIGA] RIGA
WoT is all about hitting you for every mistake. This is frustrating for first few thousand games. The grind is not at all comparable to that what was like 6 years ago - grinding experience is a lot easier than it was before.

As many others, I as well suggest grind several lines at once until tier 5. This is not that big time investment. You should have more or less an opinion what is your style.

I have 20k battles under my belt, and still it feels a lot of stuff I need learn to carry my own weight on every game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users