AMX Cda 105 First impressions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Hechaton #1 Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:03 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 39823 battles

So, the goal was to do at least 200 matches in this tank before I made up an opinion.

Now I have passed 100 and I've had enough. I simply can't bear another match in this tank. 

To make it short, this is a tank destroyer with two main assets:

decent gun - When I say decent gun I mean it is pretty accurate (for WOT standard), but still you can forget snapshots and reliably hitting targets at long range (if 30-400 meters can be regarded as "long range" at all). The penetration is ok and the dpm too.

good mobility - makes it easy and fast to get around, an asset you're going to make good use of. The traverse speed on the other hand is not the greatest, Medium and light tanks will have no problem to circle this tank to death, It won't be the worst problem though, you'll probably be dead long before that can happen.

Survivability

The armour is unreliable at the best. Even tier VI will penetrate the front. To make the matter worse, the poor gun arch forces you to point the whole tank towards the enemy. Forget even to think about armour angling. The poor gun arch makes the ludicrously bad armour even worse. To make it even worse than that, this tank comes with the lowest hitpoints of all the premium tanks on that tier, the light tank M41 90 GF included. If you get spotted, you're pretty much dead. Most tier VIII will kill you in two/ three shots. Survivability is with other words very low.

Concealment

The base camo value is surprisingly good. It's marginally worse than WZ-120-1 FT even though it is at least a cupola higher. 

Playstyle

This is a pure sniping tank. Forget brawling or trading shots. Camp and try to do damage from behind concealment. If you do get spotted it’s a good thing you have the mobility to escape and go and camp some more. There is only one situation you should consider brawling or trading shots. That is if you have a superior positional advantage on an inferior enemy, Otherwise, forget one on one duels, it won't end well for you.

The best word I can think of to describe this tank is "awkward". It has bad armour, no turret, slow traverse and poor gun arch. You’re more or less “forced” to camp like an idiot most of the game.

Fun factor

I absolutely hate this tank. Even on tier VIII matches it feels like it lacks some kind of armour -to work with – to make it more versatile. It isn't much fun when you feel you have to camp a whole game. And this is where I get a problem. If I see a flank in danger of falling I would try to get there to “strengthen” the defence so to speak. Even when hugging ridgelines and making use of the gun depression the armour doesn’t do much good.

When I purchased this vehicle, I thought the playstyle would be pretty similar to the newly released Chinese WZ-120-1 FT. I couldn’t be more wrong. The WZ can actually take on a variety of roles, where as the AMX struggles. If I were to compare the playstyle of this tank with another tank destroyer with the slightest of resemblance, it would be the Rheimetall Scorpion. The mobility of the two are pretty similar, and they both have weak armour and they both should stay hidden the most of the game. But here the comparison stops. The Rheinmetall Scorpion, with its turret and great alpha makes it so more flexible, better, and more fun to play.

At this point I don’t even understand WG for releasing such a tank. I had the impression WG encouraged active gameplay and less camping (bad accuracy at “long” distances, majority of city maps, small maps, removing of the camo bonus for TDs, etc). This tank is definitively not an attack tank, does flanking poorly, and is terrible at holding positions. To make the day even better, the broken matchmaking lets you face tier IX and X tanks most of the matches…

Of all the premium VIII tanks I own, I find the 59-Patton absolute worst. The AMX Cda is marginally better. If I could, I would trade it in and get my money back.

Search_Warrant #2 Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:29 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 23083 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
TLDR: Its not a SkorpionG? :P

gav00 #3 Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 5928 battles
I've yet to see one played properly, they all seem to think they are light tanks

upsetti_spaghetti #4 Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:46 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 8649 battles
  • [H5VOC] H5VOC
I only seen them trying to red line. But it doesnt seem that it sold much, I rarely see it.

_EXODUZ_ #5 Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28365 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
They usually evaporate really fast when in my sight.

another_Ghost_Shell #6 Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 28135 battles
  • [OXIDE] OXIDE
Good to here that WG is implementing weak tier 8 prems. I would say stop buying T8 prems until they fix the MM. But atleast WG stopped with making OP prems. GJ WG proud of you. Now fix the MM. And nerf the OP prems generation. 

cragarion #7 Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 39098 battles

I'ts the perfect sniper, good pen/alpha and accuracy,

and if played right invisible.

Edited by cragarion, 13 October 2017 - 08:47 AM.

The_Georgian_One #8 Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29477 battles
  • [KOFN] KOFN

Still better love story* than CDC.

*tank

Edited by The_Georgian_One, 13 October 2017 - 08:52 AM.

Mothless #9 Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10157 battles

Cda 105 does not play at all like a Skorp.  Its closest partner is probably the JP2 and both have almost identical speeds, armor thickness, identical gun movement.  The Cda has slightly better accuracy and pen, but lower alpha.

I have been trying this tank both as a camper and aggressively pushing forwards to learn how I can play this tank in manner that suits me.  I have had several matches where I have bounced 1-2k damage from tanks such as defender, Borsig, Skorp, etc, so its armor when used correctly (fighting from a slope) is perfectly usable.

as with many casemate TD's, this tank is not and can never be anything like a typical medium and should never be expected to perform so.  Purchasing such a tank and expecting it to be a Type or other flexible tank will lead to severe disappointment.

I am still learning how best to play this tank, but I like it a lot.  soon my stats in it will get back to normal as I recover from all the stupid deaths that I had whilst trying to find out what it could and should not do.

cheers

xtram3x #10 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28825 battles
  • [REQT] REQT
Haven't got it myself but to me it looks like the STRV S1 but without siege mode, slightly faster & less DPM

Spurtung #11 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 55171 battles
  • [UP-EU] UP-EU

View PostMothless, on 13 October 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

Cda 105 does not play at all like a Skorp.  Its closest partner is probably the JP2 and both have almost identical speeds, armor thickness, identical gun movement.  The Cda has slightly better accuracy and pen, but lower alpha.

Try comparing it with the UDES instead.

JP2 is a beast, and bounces a lot of shots.

Mothless #12 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10157 battles

JP is a bit of an animal and it is my favourite Tier8 tank at the moment.  But I have been able to successfully bounce quite a bit of damage with Cda, but it cannot bounce as well as the JP2 can when you angle it, so the comment is valid.

The udes can be overmatched on the front, whilst the Cda cannot, so the armor is more reliable against all calibers.  As far as actual  speed, armour thickness and gun movement, the JP2 is basically indentical

250swb #13 Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 17361 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I'm enjoying the CDA, it can bounce shots from the front, it has an accurate gun, it has some speed, good gun depression, good alpha, and great camo. I think I've just described a tank destroyer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users