balance matchmaking

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Hitomi_Tanaka #1 Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1852 battles

Hi Guys,

I'm a casual player, not the best one either, but then, I'm not the worst. Always trying to play as a teammate,  but since there is simply no possibility to discuss it with guys from Wargaming at all...

Tell me what I do wrong..  stating that they say, the game is balanced, matchmaking is good and such, as fair as can be..  but still..  like today, i have played about 40 games... I had the pleasure to be on the winning team only TWICE.    And that's not the first time.   I'm sure, since Wargaming says its a hot topic, there must be more of you with the same feelings..  

If all is balanced, then it would be about 50-50... sort of?  Or am i weird and are you saying 38 losses vs 2 wins is good balance?      

I buy tanks, gold, and it comes at quite the price.   It's like its not cheap you know?    I don't mind losing, I can take that, but when they tell me from Wargaming stuff is well matched then I must not see it.      

I know when i drive around in a tier 6 and possibly meeting tiers 8... hey, i'm not stupid you know?     

To wargaming guys: i love to spend, but not when all is a negative experience.       

Today was really bad, and it wasn't the first time. 

gunslingerXXX #2 Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11187 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL
Wow, 2/40 is harsh. I never had it that bad. 

_Avenger_SRB_ #3 Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:53 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22285 battles

You are not doing something wrong. The MM is garbage and random. You can start off the day with 3 wins and then lose 20 games in a row.

and most tiers are crap now after 9.18, im only playing Tier 9 at the moment and Revalorise for credits.....they really did screw up all tiers 1-8 good. There are some very OP tier 8 tanks though, like Defender, VK100.01P, Patriot, Liberte.

Coldspell #4 Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19487 battles

Weekends are notoriously bad for mm.

However your highest tier non premium is like IV.... yet you are playing around in two tier VI premiums which with limited med tier experience can make you a detriment to your own team.

I would suggest chilling out a little bit and grinding up to an actual tier V or VI tank so you have a bit more experience and better understanding of game mechanics.

I'm online myself atm if you want to platoon I have a few old tier II, III and IV's I haven't dusted off in a long time.

JocMeister #5 Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 23586 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

You have a 45% overall winrate. 400 battles and already playing tier 6...with unsurprisingly bad result.

1. Dont rush the tiers. Practice on tier 4-5 to learn the game and train crews.

2. Watch some Youtube vids and/or twitch streamers.

3. Read the forum and guides to learn the basics of the game.

4. Realize that you are a very new player with almost no understanding of the game. Stay calm. Learn and slowly improve. 

5. Pick a solid line and stick to it. Good lines for beginners are the KV 1 line and T34-85 line. US MT line is also pretty decent. 

PS. While the Type 64 is an excellent tank its NOT advisable to play LTs for the first 5k games or so. You need a very good understanding of the spotting system to play LTs.

Edited by JocMeister, 13 October 2017 - 08:59 PM.

lord_chipmonk #6 Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34079 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
Can the MM be harsh? Yes. It certainly can. That all being said, you're not doing yourself any favours playing tier 6 at the moment. The game does not play in the same manner at all tiers and you probably want to gain some more experience before stepping into tier 6. For example, your Tiger 131 has an average damage per match of just over 300, which is less than 2 damaging shots per battle. Now, you're new, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you have a lot to learn.  

RamRaid90 #7 Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22036 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

At the end of the day you are an inexperienced player with most likely very low skilled crews (if they even have any skills) and as such you are at the mercy of people like myself who have a tier IV tank with a 4 skill crew in it.

And then you are playing tier VI with very low skilled crews, which is gimping you even more.

You are at a massive disadvantage right from the start.

Practise at tier IV/V and watch youtube videos on how the intricate game mechanics work. You will improve over time as both you AND your tanks/crews get better.

Edited by RamRaid90, 13 October 2017 - 09:02 PM.

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22814 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostHitomi_Tanaka, on 13 October 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

Hi Guys,

I'm a casual player, not the best one either, but then, I'm not the worst. Always trying to play as a teammate,  but since there is simply no possibility to discuss it with guys from Wargaming at all...

You are a very new player....and by now you just might realise that there is more to this game than just point and shoot. Map knowledge is very important, along with tank upgrades and crew experience. 

There is no need to rush through the tiers...I made that error. Take your time.

jack_timber #9 Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33950 battles

Hang in there it does get better. As others have said pick a tank you like, for me it was SU85B, grind the crew and max out the modules. In fact still play this tank....

Learn the maps and pick some good spots, SU is a TD , and enjoy.

Remember when I started dear oh dear I was abysmal, sometimes still are.

Pvt_Duffer #10 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16658 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

you're in the wrong game

:trollface:

Edited by Pvt_Duffer, 13 October 2017 - 10:02 PM.

Hitomi_Tanaka #11 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1852 battles

I know my experience isn't that big, Its just an observation... It can't be MY fault alone  i end up in teams that lose.   I know I have a lot to learn, and its fun doing so,  but if the game itself put you into a 38- 2 loss- win ration, then I say it is strange.   In the end its 15 vs 15.   

I love to grind lower levels, but then the maps are limited and get boring when you limit to max tier 3.    In the end, its about having a bit of fun.

So again,  talk to me about learning the game... YES i KNOW....but you can't deny the strange matchmaking rules.   

Pvt_Duffer #12 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:08 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16658 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

lesson 1:  #karmabites

:trollface:

Consett_Steel #13 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17566 battles

View PostHitomi_Tanaka, on 13 October 2017 - 07:45 

If all is balanced, then it would be about 50-50... sort of?  Or am i weird and are you saying 38 losses vs 2 wins is good balance?      

Um, no - that is a mistaken assumption. The best players have a winrate of perhaps 70 % +, the worst players low 40 %. Balance  isn't really the issue - it may be unusual to have such a losing streak but it depends how good we are.

Bobby_Berov #14 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7692 battles
  • [BG4KM] BG4KM

Hello,

yes, friend, you're doing something really wrong. And that is because of 2 things: 

- you should wait until you have made 4 000+ battles, have a tier 8 non-premium tank, at least 10 tanks in the garage and when you accomplish all that, then and only then you can ask your question. Because right now it looks really odd. I wonder what your impression of this game will be after your 10 000th battle, if you ever get there... Most people realise that there are too many downsides and few upsides, most of them quit permanently at the 2 000 mark. You have to be enlightened about that;

- win / loss isn't always in your team, but you as well. Many of us are scared to admit that they either *edit or had a bit too much fun been stupid. The other is also true, because most of the players are actually under the legal age of 13. I really hope you aren't one of those, if you are , then you know where your problem is. Also there are things the tutorial doesn't teach: special awareness, driving skills, behavior on a battlefield, tactics, strategy, tank capabilities and play stiles (TD, Arty, LT, MT, HT). It is vague in every case possible, which leads to your problem of constant loss. People like yourself see that they can't have a good game and decide to pay for gold, cause it's shinier than silver. WRONG! Nope boi, you are doing it wrong.  

My personal suggestion is to go and play a Grand Strategy, modern day RTS, a F-1 / Cars 1/2 and War Thunder (that's a really P2W/P2F***people game). When you are finished you'll know what is what and how to go with it. WoT may be arcadish in controlling the tanks, but for everything else you'll need other skills. 

Edited by Jbnn, 14 October 2017 - 09:28 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

Hitomi_Tanaka #15 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1852 battles

ok, bobby_berov, i'm definately not under 13, I am actually 50+  and in fact a very longtime online game player.  I understand dynamics of a various games very well.     You don't need to patronise me, and i don't certainly need a weird amount of 10k battles to even gain a bit of experience.   Goes for you as well Pvt Duffer.   You did over 16k games. wow. No need to look down ok?   

As most of you stated gets better when you reach 5000 games. Ok.  You guys must like to be punished a lot  :P

Ok, back to game to get more of my [edited]kicked... see ya

Edited by Hitomi_Tanaka, 13 October 2017 - 10:50 PM.

Schmeksiman #16 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:38 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16323 battles
  • [INC] INC

Somehow I highly doubt you lost 38 games while winning two, even by playing utterly horrible that's incredibly unlikely to happen.

And you can't really blame WG for that, you're far from the best player out there and I am very much positive that a lot of those games could have been won.

RamRaid90 #17 Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 22036 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostBobby_Berov, on 13 October 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Hello,

yes, friend, you're doing something really wrong. And that is because of 2 things: 

- you should wait until you have made 4 000+ battles, have a tier 8 non-premium tank, at least 10 tanks in the garage and when you accomplish all that, then and only then you can ask your question. Because right now it looks really odd. I wonder what your impression of this game will be after your 10 000th battle, if you ever get there... Most people realise that there are too many downsides and few upsides, most of them quit permanently at the 2 000 mark. You have to be enlightened about that;

- win / loss isn't always in your team, but you as well. Many of us are scared to admit that they either *edit or had a bit too much fun been stupid. The other is also true, because most of the players are actually under the legal age of 13. I really hope you aren't one of those, if you are , then you know where your problem is. Also there are things the tutorial doesn't teach: special awareness, driving skills, behavior on a battlefield, tactics, strategy, tank capabilities and play stiles (TD, Arty, LT, MT, HT). It is vague in every case possible, which leads to your problem of constant loss. People like yourself see that they can't have a good game and decide to pay for gold, cause it's shinier than silver. WRONG! Nope boi, you are doing it wrong.  

My personal suggestion is to go and play a Grand Strategy, modern day RTS, a F-1 / Cars 1/2 and War Thunder (that's a really P2W/P2F***people game). When you are finished you'll know what is what and how to go with it. WoT may be arcadish in controlling the tanks, but for everything else you'll need other skills. 

However even after almost 6,000 battles you are as bad as him.

So I would suggest kindly keeping your horribly wrong opinions to yourself.

View PostBobby_Berov, on 13 October 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

The other is also true, because most of the players are actually under the legal age of 13. I really hope you aren't one of those, if you are , then you know where your problem is. Also there are things the tutorial doesn't teach: special awareness, driving skills, behavior on a battlefield, tactics, strategy, tank capabilities and play stiles (TD, Arty, LT, MT, HT).

You also lack all of these.

He is new, what's your excuse?

View PostHitomi_Tanaka, on 13 October 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

I know my experience isn't that big, Its just an observation... It can't be MY fault alone  i end up in teams that lose.   I know I have a lot to learn, and its fun doing so,  but if the game itself put you into a 38- 2 loss- win ration, then I say it is strange.   In the end its 15 vs 15.   

I love to grind lower levels, but then the maps are limited and get boring when you limit to max tier 3.    In the end, its about having a bit of fun.

So again,  talk to me about learning the game... YES i KNOW....but you can't deny the strange matchmaking rules.   

The thing you have to realise is the ONLY difference between yourself and a 55% player is 10 battles per 100.

Out of 100 battles, that 55% win rate player has the ability to influence those 10 battles he is placed in enough to swing the balance and force a win for his team.

World of Tanks is all about large sample sizes, emphasis is placed onto the win rate stat because it is an indication of how much a particular player influences each battle they are in with their own contributions. That is not to say that you can't have a string of playing on tilt or poor luck (whichever you want to call it) but over a larger sample size ability WILL show through over chance.

Rather than focusing on winning, focus on improving your own gameplay and interaction with the teams you are placed in. If you get a poor team, your influence and decision making can be the difference. Poor players will hide vs enemy tanks because they are afraid to lose. Your decisions in that battle can help the game swing in your favour.

Sometimes all it takes is a simple flanking move to distract a portion of the enemy hold. Enough for the rest of your team to push the remainers back and choke out the flank. It is the ability to see these opportunities which separates players.

Edited by Jbnn, 14 October 2017 - 09:31 AM.

BravelyRanAway #18 Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

General

• Beta Tester
  • 22814 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostHitomi_Tanaka, on 13 October 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

ok, bobby_berov, i'm definately not under 13, I am actually 50+  and in fact a very longtime online game player.  

Me too, but don't take offence at some players saying you need a lot more battles before you understand the game better......because it is true. It's not just a simple game....there is quite a depth to it.

I played about 8,000 battles before I took any real interest in the mechanics of the game....and even then, there's only so much time I'm willing to invest in a game....there still has to be an element of fun....to each there own. 

Xandania #19 Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36678 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

First of all, welcome to the game and more specifically the forums (as well as a friendly and inquisitive post on top) :)

We all get (or in some cases got) the doubts, especially in the beginning when we still need to get a complete grasp on the game mechanics - after that it's basically learning tanks and maps - and finally situational and map awareness - so with very few exceptions we all do indeed have things to improve upon.

Some try to solve it by jumping in at the deep end and try in tier 8 premium tanks until they succeed, others stick to tier 5 and 6, others again join training clans like W-Uni.

As for the winrate of the day - it does indeed vary wildly, especially around weekends and school holidays. Overall it will probably even out and improve.

Only real advice I can give is grab (or find) some players on similar wavelengths and platoon with them - having a laugh can help and be entertaining to endure the worst draught in this game. Pardon me if I'm rambling a bit, I probably should head to bed :P

Anyhow - meet you on the battlefield :honoring:

Pvt_Duffer #20 Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 16658 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHitomi_Tanaka, on 13 October 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

Goes for you as well Pvt Duffer.   You did over 16k games. wow. No need to look down ok?   

erm.......sure...I mean no disrespect ...err... Hitomi..

*edit

Edited by Jbnn, 14 October 2017 - 09:35 AM.
off-topic

Also tagged with balance matchmaking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users