• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41211 battles

WG

Love them

if there are only 12 get them into game and I will happily not complain about map rotation as long as I know the rest will be added when they are ready

in this regard please don't feel under pressure to HD Pilsen, Paris or Windstorm, these can wait many many many years before they need to be re introduced

Homer_J #2 Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:47 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29705 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 14 October 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

in this regard please don't feel under pressure to HD Pilsen, Paris or Windstorm, these can wait many many many years before they need to be re introduced

Just leave them for people to reminisce about through rose tinted glasses the way the do about Dragon's ridge, Komarin, and Pearl River.

_Anarchistic_ #3 Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41211 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 14 October 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

Just leave them for people to reminisce about through rose tinted glasses the way the do about Dragon's ridge, Komarin, and Pearl River.

​why was Komarin removed, I only played it a few times and at low tiers as I was just starting wot so I never really got to work it out

_EXODUZ_ #4 Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35510 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 14 October 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

​why was Komarin removed, I only played it a few times and at low tiers as I was just starting wot so I never really got to work it out

It was a huge campfest, anyone who pushed got obliterated by td's. Lot's of bushes impaired vision. And the north side had like a 40% chance to win.

Homer_J #5 Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29705 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 14 October 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

First iteration was so much of a campfest that whole teams would actually try to rush cap just not to die of boredom.

Then they moved the caps further away so it was just a campfest.  First to attack generally lost.

Then they tried to make the middle island relevant and it became that the team who got the island would camp the island while the other team retreated back to the redline and camped there.

And there were the mosquitoes, millions of the little blighters, didn't matter how well you sealed up your tank they still got in. 

JocMeister #6 Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:42 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 23945 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostHomer_J, on 14 October 2017 - 02:59 AM, said:

First iteration was so much of a campfest that whole teams would actually try to rush cap just not to die of boredom.

Then they moved the caps further away so it was just a campfest.  First to attack generally lost.

Then they tried to make the middle island relevant and it became that the team who got the island would camp the island while the other team retreated back to the redline and camped there.

And there were the mosquitoes, millions of the little blighters, didn't matter how well you sealed up your tank they still got in. 

Sounds exactly like Erlenberg...except the mosquitoes....

miki71 #7 Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 139751 battles
  • [X-W] X-W
feels goood maaaaan .....

KillingJoker #8 Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35164 battles
  • [-EXC-] -EXC-

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 14 October 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

WG

Love them

if there are only 12 get them into game and I will happily not complain about map rotation as long as I know the rest will be added when they are ready

I have some questions for you:

Are they bigger than the original maps? if yes, how much bigger? 

can they be 30 vs 30 maps like grand battle one? 

are all the buildings destructable? 

do maps prettiness afect performance? hows you frames per second? 

whats your favourite map? 

Enforcer1975 #9 Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 20973 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

View PostKillingJoker, on 14 October 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

The maps aren't bigger but appear bigger because they have added extra highly detailed terrain that stretches pretty far, maybe they did it in case they decide to increase map size....who knows.

Maps so far are Mines, Redshire, Himmelsdorf, Abbey, Murovanka, Malinovka, Cliff and Prokhorovka. They all look gorgeous. They have changed a lot of spots though. I haven't tried it yet but f.e. the spot north on cliff where you can access the donut by climbing up the edge seems to be changed that you can't drive on top anymore. The area around the cliff seems to be larger and the top maybe too. Redshire castle has smaller openings. The monastery on Abbey where the pillars are has lost some now you have one way out but it looks like they have removed the opening for north spawn and the entrance looks more in the middle. Too much to write about but the maps might need some tweaks because some spots like the sniper bush on the north side of the hill on Redshire got a tiny tiny mound so tanks with less gun depression have to move 1m further into the bush to be able to shot downwards. 

Edited by Enforcer1975, 14 October 2017 - 09:56 AM.

_Anarchistic_ #10 Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 41211 battles

​I have not played all the maps yet, there are 12 I believe but only played Cliff, Murovanka, El Halluf, Mountain Pass, malinovka and mines.  That leaves Redshire and Steppes that I know of and four others that I do not know what they are.

the maps are essentially the same as now, although they have severely reduced the elevation of most maps, eg entrance to mines hill.  I cannot yet give an informed opinion about any game play changes.

performance wise game is perfect, indeed my ping is better than standard server which considering there are ru, na and asia region players begs the question why it performs better than the standard servers, fps is still in 120 region.  edit  my pc is three years old

size wise they are the same, BUT   they seem much bigger, the off map backgrounds give real depth and I turned off the map border and found myself getting a bit disorientated and having to check my minimap.  also the corridors are wider, himmelsdorf roads seem much wider, same on el halluf, the a0 corner the corridors seem wider

as for favourite they all gorgeous although I still dislike mountain pass, it might look better but its still a crap map and for me that might be the deal breaker.  If the maps are still badly designed and WG don't address some of the balance issues, eg 9 line on live oaks, northern advantage for hill on mines etc then they are missing a glorious opportunity to get it right

some buildings are destructible but work needs doing there often they just dissolve in a puff

K_A #11 Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13660 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHomer_J, on 13 October 2017 - 11:47 PM, said:

I kinda liked Pearl River.. :unsure: 

Also you can't deny that Dragon's Ridge would look abso-fking-lutely STUNNING in HD :B

Homer_J #12 Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 29705 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostK_A, on 14 October 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

I kinda liked Pearl River.. :unsure: 

Also you can't deny that Dragon's Ridge would look abso-fking-lutely STUNNING in HD :B

Pearl river was one of those maps which looked a good idea but most of it was inaccesible, then they changed it and made some kind of rabbit warren.

Dragon's Ridge would look good but players would still only see the same 2 grid squares.

Maps are the same size as far as I can tell, not all buildings are destructible, I don't think that would be good for gameplay.

Performance on my two systems is as good or better than the current live version.  One with everything on full and the other with everything on minimum.

Edited by Homer_J, 14 October 2017 - 04:21 PM.

Bordhaw #13 Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12058 battles

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 13 October 2017 - 11:53 PM, said:

Winterberg (Winter version of Ruinberg) and Winter Himmelsdorf are going to be removed and not made into HD. 

Aikl #14 Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26066 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostJocMeister, on 14 October 2017 - 04:42 AM, said:

Sounds exactly like Erlenberg...except the mosquitoes....

More or less, I guess. Last iteration was interesting at times, but really just a giant campfest. Nowadays I'm pretty sure it would be about average in terms of camping and tactically useful flanks that ultimately don't really matter.

I have a feeling that Komarin, despite being removed, became the prototype for WoT maps/reworks (that aren't using the "city maps with useless flank for TDs and light tanks" recipe) - with dips for artillery, bushes and rocks behind the base and a few hundred meters of dead ground in front of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users