how the hell u guys play kv5 at tier 9?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Ecanduysak #1 Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:05 AM

• Player
  • 12991 battles

seriously, how the hell u guys play kv5 at tier 9 battles? you cant penetrate anything, you cant flank sincey you're slow as a damn turtle?

it was fine 3 4 years ago, now with all those new tanks its nearly impossible to play kv5?

and funny thing is its the main credits income of my account, and its pretty *edit...

just explain to me HOW?

Edited by Jbnn, 18 October 2017 - 09:31 AM.
This post has been edited by the moderation team due to inappropriate remarks.

callum347 #2 Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:13 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40909 battles
  • [WAAT] WAAT
You ram them :trollface:

Temid23 #3 Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:14 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 50822 battles
  • [G-STR] G-STR

You don't play it until WG decide to unfock pref mm tanks. Hope this will help ;]

PS Don't worry they hinted pref mm tanks will be reworked/buffed probably "soon TM" or "when its done its done" for the moment they still "look at statistics" probably. In the mean time get yourself TVP VTU or w/e that t8 med is called some WG bigshot told this tank is great vs defenders so play this instead KV5.

PPS Can any1 from WG put for sale in WG store w/e they smoke?

:girl:

Ecanduysak #4 Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:36 AM

• Player
  • 12991 battles

View PostTemid23, on 14 October 2017 - 02:14 AM, said:

You don't play it until WG decide to unfock pref mm tanks. Hope this will help ;]

PS Don't worry they hinted pref mm tanks will be reworked/buffed probably "soon TM" or "when its done its done" for the moment they still "look at statistics" probably. In the mean time get yourself TVP VTU or w/e that t8 med is called some WG bigshot told this tank is great vs defenders so play this instead KV5.

PPS Can any1 from WG put for sale in WG store w/e they smoke?

:girl:

can you make money with regular tier 8 tank? lol?

xx984 #5 Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:53 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 50845 battles
  • [GO-IN] GO-IN

I play KV-5 all the time, about 1.4k Battles in it with 3 marks. And i manage just fine in tier 9. Key thing is to not put yourself in a position where you're fighting tanks that you cant pen easily, For example if i see a E75 on the enemy team im going to head towards the place i least expect him.

Although that is easier said than done, takes some getting used to

Edited by xx984, 14 October 2017 - 01:53 AM.

Havenless #6 Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:23 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 413 battles

You basically play it as a slow medium. It's a tricky tank to play because you need to make correct calls a lot but at the same time it's remarkably versatile and will almost never be useless. The difficulty is in the fact that KV-5 doesn't have any absolutes, like an impenetrable turret or high alpha gun and the armor has weak spots that anyone can pen in theory. 

No matter what anyone says, the armor is great once you learn how and when it works(and most notably, when it does not). Typically some smartass will point out that "it has no armor" but somehow I block 1.5k damage per game with it(for reference my IS-3 and IS-6 that are being credited for better armor block around 1.1k per game). The armor of KV-5 just requires a much deeper understanding of how to use it. Thankfully most of your enemies in randoms lack this despite everyone seemingly being so confident that they know how to deal with KV-5. They will usually either be overly fixated at the R2D2 and if you hide it or keep moving they end up making awful trades with you. You can also do retarded angling with KV-5 and bait lots of hopeless shots even from high pen guns. Most players will happily shoot the seemingly overangled side with no chance of dealing damage.

You spam gold at anything that has armor if you have to deal with it frontally. I've been playing my KV-5 a lot lately(yes, tier 8 PMM has seen better days but it's still less horrible than regular tier 8) and I still find it very effective.

The gun is why I like the KV-5 so much. It combines a medium tank's reload(and the ability to permatrack) with 300 alpha and works well in "point and click" close/mid range gameplay. Take lots of snap shots and only stop to aim when you are sure you got the time. My reload with food is 6.78sec which often allows me to either permatrack targets or make 2-for-1 trades against higher alpha heavies with like 11sec reload. The ability to ram going 40km/h often creates a situation where you can just berserk rush. Just a few days ago I took down an Emil I from full health by shooting him(tracks off + damage if he angles at all), ramming him and shooting one more time. That's a tier 8 tank down in lss than 7 seconds. Be careful though, ramming is fun but don't use it as an excuse to make retarded pushes. Only use it as extra firepower rather than the primary reason to make a play.

Short guide:

1. Play only areas that allow you to keep moving. If you go to city in Live Oaks "cuz im heavy" and start sidescraping against an E75 you are a bot. The armor works best in dynamic gameplay and will melt in static gameplay. Play the medium areas, don't be a heavy bot.

2. Only engage big gun tanks on your own terms. You either overpower an enemy tank that you can frontally penetrate(my favorite is an IS-3, I use gold vs. those though), soak enemy fire for your supporting teammates or play as a flanker medium. Alternatively if you run into something like a lone Type 4 who is slightly distracted and needs to die, you rush it, kick its tracks off, get onto its side and turn it into a DPM contest. Plays like this require a good amount of information and set-up and most of the time you want to avoid tanks like the Type 4 Heavy so play the areas where you can engage against mediums. As explained above, you're a mobile fortress, not a corner jerking bot. 

3. You shoot gold at armored targets. It's not the tank's fault if you engage an IS-3 with 167 penetration and can't damage it.

4. KV-5 is about managing aggression. If you play it too passively you'll fail. If you play it too aggressively you'll find yourself dead with 600 damage done. KV-5 requires a high level of aggression and rewards good aggression very generously but if you take it too far the tank isn't retardproof enough to dig you out of the hole. 

5. Prioritize soft targets. What KV-5 excels at is sh*tting on tanks it can penetrate easily. It doesn't take long to doom a tier 8 medium. Often all you need is 2 shots to track + damage and re-track and the enemy is effectively dead. You can expect to lose around 0-600 damage of your health in a fight like this, which is a fraction of your HP. If you know what you are doing you can often take on several enemy tanks at the same time, especially if you can ram one of them in the beginning for most of his health + his hull being good cover for you. Just avoid autoloaders in these situations, and get comfortable with the tank before attempting any stunts.

6. Use your very deep health pool. Lead pushes. Make trades with mediums. Make 2-for-1 trades with enemy heavies.It is alright to lose health or even die as long as you tax the enemy harder. I have gloriously thrown my KV-5 away several times and won the flank for my team by just eating too many resources from the enemy tanks while my teammates farm them. It's remarkable when you are being beaten down by 4 tier 8-9 tanks and have sacrificed your tank to win the flank, yet somehow end up doing 2k damage on top.

7. Learn to "overangle", and in general learn how the armor works. Having armor doesn't mean you have to make retarded peeks or force aggression in bad situations. Anyway, go to tanks.gg and see KV-5 model as "Live" vs. a high pen gun. Learn how retarded angling you can do and apply it in practice. Don't get too drawn into "omg, the R2D2 is weak" or "they can easily penetrate my turret" kind of mindset - most enemies will happily pass on easy penetrations if they think they can track + damage you(which is not happening). The armor is fantastic against most of the player base. When you run into a player who knows how to play vs. KV-5, you are still a relatively mobile tank that hits fairly hard, has very high DPM and that has tons of hitpoints. So play as such. He will also still also get trolled by the armor a lot thanks to all the layers of RNG the game has.

8. Do not stop to aim unless you have to. The gun works well in close/mid range "point and click" gameplay and this is what you should seek to do in the "medium" areas.

Had this "lol" moment the other day as well. You need a KV-5 or a Maus to have these games.

Guess who wins?
lol

Also how is it possible to have a negative post count? My browser says the OP is at -18.

Edited by Havenless, 14 October 2017 - 03:19 AM.

Wrinkly #7 Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 43899 battles
It has been a long time since I played my KV-5 :(

clixor #8 Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

Major

• Player
  • 49604 battles

View PostWrinkly, on 14 October 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

It has been a long time since I played my KV-5 :(

almost 6k battles in it and even demounted equipment now. The thing is, it's not the issue of fighting tier9s, but it's seeing tier9s every single battle what got me to stop playing the KV-5. I mean, i also really don't have to see tier6s every battle, all tier8 was just fine until 3/5/7 was implemented.

redgismo #9 Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 27922 battles
  • [-TXG-] -TXG-
Load gold and drive everywhere backwards!

vasilinhorulezz #10 Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21175 battles
People don't buy KV5 to shoot at things, they get it for RAMMING SPEEEEED!!!!!!!:izmena:

ZlatanArKung #11 Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
You don't play KV-5....

callum347 #12 Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40909 battles
  • [WAAT] WAAT

View PostHavenless, on 14 October 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

Also how is it possible to have a negative post count? My browser says the OP is at -18.

I see the same

Aikl #13 Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostZlatanArKung, on 14 October 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

You don't play KV-5....

ЇИ SФVЇԐҐ ЯЏSSЇД, ҚV-5 PLДЧS ЧФЦ!

Slap on some Stalin inscriptions and have fun. The only real problem is the upcoming 'tank role' balancing. KV-5 is a superheavy on paper, but it sure as hell isn't in practice. It's closer to a FCM 50t than a VK100.01P if you ask me. If the KV-5 was sold next week, I'd be hesitant to recommend it for that reason alone. The new monsters are iffy to deal with in a KV-5. T34 or IS-3 not so much.

Edited by Aikl, 14 October 2017 - 07:10 PM.

XCabs #14 Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2501 battles

View Postredgismo, on 14 October 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Load gold and drive everywhere backwards!

This worked a few years ago does not work today.

KV5 should be removed from the game or seriously buffed.  Its an in joke at Wg HQ (no lie)

View Postvasilinhorulezz, on 14 October 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

People don't buy KV5 to shoot at things, they get it for RAMMING SPEEEEED!!!!!!!:izmena:

Please stop posting feminist drivel.

Thanks.

dennez #15 Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16745 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I brought it to our TB's last weekend, but the FC wasnt amused. Also good luck facing entire teams of Defecators in it.

Cannes76 #16 Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 62481 battles
  • [3V] 3V

You simply don't. You wait until WG fixes SMM tanks in some way or another.

Only SMM tanks which are even remotely worth playing (other than the obvious E-25) is Superpershing and I guess the 112? Is that smm, is it ok now? I don't know as I don't have it.

dennez #17 Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:12 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16745 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostCannes76, on 16 October 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

You simply don't. You wait until WG fixes SMM tanks in some way or another.

Only SMM tanks which are even remotely worth playing (other than the obvious E-25) is Superpershing and I guess the 112? Is that smm, is it ok now? I don't know as I don't have it.

SP has had a pen buff, 112 still has the 175/250 HEAT122mm, but atleast 250 HEAT is a bit of a redeeming factor.

georgeBoy2 #18 Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24870 battles
  • [IDFAC] IDFAC

2K battles on KV5 (53% WR) here..

I completely agree with @HavenlessI find it much harder to play since the introduction of the new tech tree lines and the 3/5/7 MM. 

in one sentence - I play KV5 as a careful medium with occasional "psychotic" episodes :) 

meaning, soak damage for your team. At the right moment you can perform "berserk" attacks to ram and flank. It confuses the enemy team, and while you soak the damage your team mows them down.

The tricky thing is to recognize the right time to do this, and it only comes with experience..

some tips:

1. put a Spall-Liner module - for arty protection and extra ramming power 

2. use lend-lease oil consumable - for extra engine power and acceleration. it only costs 5,000 and I stock up when there are sales.

with these 2 things I can almost outspeed an IS3 and deal tons of ram damage.

Hell, a few days I gave 1,000hp ramming damage to a RU251 - without even moving!  the poor idiot thought he could drive into a KV5 at top speed... lol :) 

3. Watch the minimap and don't go straight with heavy tanks: instead, wait a few seconds for the battle situation to clear and then decide which flank needs your support.

4. play as a "joker card" - don't reveal yourself until the right moment. I usually hang somewhere behind the front line and try to make a "surprise" move to turn the situation around. This doesn't work well on open maps, though. 

5. use speed and elevation to your advantage - climb a hill and rush-ram like crazy for fun and profit :)   also, your armor makes you harder to pen while moving.

6. don't get spotted early!  from my experience, once you are spotted your chances to survive are worse than of other heavies in your team. again - use surprise to your advantage.  This is especially true on open maps.

7. Use the right shells for the target, and shoot gold like crazy :)   I found that loading 50% gold shells can still bring a positive income stream. my loadout is 22 regular AP, 28 gold AP, and 10 HE shells.

8. When you can't pen a tank (e.g. super-heavy), shoot HE!  sometimes the psychological effect of crippled modules is enough to make them crawl back into hiding :) 

9. Use dead tanks as a mobile shield - the KV5 has a good engine. you can easily move around pushing a dead light tank with you as a mobile cover.. 

All in all, I still think the KV5 needs a good buff. recent updates made it into a troll tank, but if you manage to play a troll well - it rewards with lots of $$$ and LOL moments..

Here's another example from 5 minutes ago (tire 8 battle, though): Unconventional gameplay (for a heavy), Top gun, LOL moments, good use of HE, AP and ramming:

http://wotreplays.eu...georgeboy2-kv-5

Edited by georgeBoy2, 17 October 2017 - 09:19 PM.

Aikl #19 Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostgeorgeBoy2, on 17 October 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

(...)

1. put a Spall-Liner module - for arty protection and extra ramming power 

2. use lend-lease oil consumable - for extra engine power and acceleration.

(...)

Spall liner is interesting. If you're into using oil, try the removed speed governor. It can run for most of the match. Test in a training room, pretty sure it's at least six-seven minutes straight.

georgeBoy2 #20 Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24870 battles
  • [IDFAC] IDFAC

View PostAikl, on 17 October 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Spall liner is interesting. If you're into using oil, try the removed speed governor. It can run for most of the match. Test in a training room, pretty sure it's at least six-seven minutes straight.

I use it on my arty, it's good and also reusable! .

It's an interesting alternative to try on the KV5. thanks! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users