Open grand Battles to tier VIII-IX

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

KillingJoker #1 Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33316 battles
  • [-EXC-] -EXC-

I think it would be good for the game if tier VIII-IX also had grand battles, we all know that currently the tier 8 is highly populated, making more rare for tier 8 to see lower tiers, other than playing vs tier 9's or tier 8s only.

Grand Battles map in my opinion is very good, it gets diversified terrain, and several areas for players explore their vehicle capabilities...

i think restricting a map of this richness to a tier X level is a pity, because there are some vehicles i would love to try in this sort of map..

like the tiger 2 or the lowe per example, it would be an extremely good map for german snipers....

also, you would be creating 30 vs 30 games, making the tier 8s pool more busy so tier 7s mm a bit better. 

I am not saying that tier VIII's should be playing grand battles vs tier X's, but at least a tier VIII only or VIII vs tier IX would be interesting to 

see in such map...

Search_Warrant #2 Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 27192 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
It was a tier X only thing to try push tier 10's out of tier 8 matches more often. but obviously that failed miserably.

Makotti #3 Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13949 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Agree, would help doing some missions also.

Balc0ra #4 Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66275 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostSearch_Warrant, on 14 October 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

It was a tier X only thing to try push tier 10's out of tier 8 matches more often. but obviously that failed miserably.

Actually no. It was not meant to be a pure tier X thing. Back during tank fest or gamescom when they said all patches until March would have the same focus. Balance, and adding GB to other tiers. So they always wanted it on other tiers. They just used tier X as a "field test". Tho if it worked or not is a different matter. As I've only seen 5 GB all patch. So either everyone turned it off, or the 10% thing was way to little.

Edited by Balc0ra, 14 October 2017 - 06:42 PM.

Aikl #5 Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25547 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

It was mentioned somewhere that Grand Battle mode is using parts of engine tweaks intended for the Frontline mode; which if intended as "end-game content" makes a lot of sense to also restrict to T10 - provided that they use GBs for gathering data and whatnot for Frontline.

Aside from that, removing T10s from the queue. Doesn't really work with a less-than-popular mode and a matchmaker set on 3-5-7 - though I'm not entirely sure you should call it a total failure anyway. At least it kind of feels that way, despite not seeing GBs for... weeks.

qpranger #6 Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 32466 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Grand Battles should be available to the player when he or she wants to play them.

And not WG's whimsical timing.

Edited by qpranger, 14 October 2017 - 06:44 PM.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66275 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostAikl, on 14 October 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

It was mentioned somewhere that Grand Battle mode is using parts of engine tweaks intended for the Frontline mode; which if intended as "end-game content" makes a lot of sense to also restrict to T10 - provided that they use GBs for gathering data and whatnot for Frontline.

Well we know how well "end game" content has worked before. Tho Rampage was destroyed more so by rigging then by other things. As I left it for dead due to seeing it in every game I played.

View Postqpranger, on 14 October 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

Grand Battles should be available to the player when he or she wants to play them.

I don't mind that they hide it in randoms to prevent it from dying 100% out like other past modes. But having the option for randoms, and when you feel like it. As in getting it every game. I would not say no to either. As I've hardly seen it as is. And I did find it somewhat fun.

Edited by Balc0ra, 14 October 2017 - 06:46 PM.

Aikl #8 Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25547 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostBalc0ra, on 14 October 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

Well we know how well "end game" content has worked before. Tho Rampage was destroyed more so by rigging then by other things. As I left it for dead due to seeing it in every game I played.

It's probably a rather large problem to prevent rigging/cheating while keeping people interested in a mode beyond initial curiousness and variation. I mean, even if a new mode required T10 and gave me the ability to win prizes in gold or credits it's not really that interesting unless it's fun to begin with. Prizes might keep people's long-term interest, but gaining that requires good gameplay. Ranked battles... well, you get a shiny wiener extension badge for a whole lot of not-that-fun gameplay.

GBs are mostly interesting (to me) because it's a new, larger map. Gameplay-wise it's not that different to randoms. It also lacks what I suspect is the main reason many play T10 - not seeing more than three enemy T10s (which to some extent is a valid complaint, even if complaining about matchmaking in a T10 tank is kind of silly).

Edited by Aikl, 14 October 2017 - 06:53 PM.

HundeWurst #9 Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 69911 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS
Maybe it would be fun for 30 vs 30 tier 8. I could see that maybe work out.

jack_timber #10 Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33432 battles

View PostWunderWurst, on 14 October 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Maybe it would be fun for 30 vs 30 tier 8. I could see that maybe work out.

Best suggestion yet, keep GB for same tiers as they are now. All T10, 9 or 8 etc.

Maybe one of these patches.....

Homer_J #11 Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28767 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBalc0ra, on 14 October 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

I don't mind that they hide it in randoms to prevent it from dying 100% out like other past modes.

I could see that being the reason if they had not given people the option to turn them off, and in fact turned them off by default for low end systems.

If you are going to make it optional then you may as well make it a separate game mode which you can select and guarantee to get in to.  If nobody plays it then it fails for a good reason.

KillingJoker #12 Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 33316 battles
  • [-EXC-] -EXC-

View Postqpranger, on 14 October 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

If people could pick grand battles mode then everyone would be playing the FV 4005 and the FV 215 183

i have been using the test server in the last days and mostly only tier X there, basicly everyone plays tier X, and every 2 or 3 games you get a grand battle

its actually quite easy to get into a grand battle...

So easy in fact, that you see on every match 4 or 5 FV 4005's and deathstars... swedish Td's, its a camp fest...

i had a game where i was testing the E50 M, and i basicly cleaned up a flank alone, my team was winning by 20 or 25% and no one wanted to move to help me push

because they were  TD's... so i had to fall back... and we managed to not win that game because the enemy was camping with's in front of their base, and no one on my team wanted to push...

so i dont think it would be healthy for the game if they could pick up a grand battle mode, becuase they would pick up tank destroyers with big guns just for the camping...

perhpas WG should do more 2 or 3 big maps, before that. 

HundeWurst #13 Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 69911 battles
  • [ROIDS] ROIDS

View PostBalc0ra, on 14 October 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

I don't mind that they hide it in randoms to prevent it from dying 100% out like other past modes. But having the option for randoms, and when you feel like it. As in getting it every game. I would not say no to either. As I've hardly seen it as is. And I did find it somewhat fun.

Nah ranked was destroyed by WG themselfs. A half [edited]mode, which many and more flaws, only being played for the rewards, which were impossible to get. Yeah rigging for did not make it better, but that was just the "natural" outcome which was bound to happen even though not ncie at all.

WG doesnt have the best track record adding new modes to the game. Well they landed this one lucky punch what we call randoms these days. It is working. And now WG is fishing in the dark. They dont know what to do. Thats kinda obvious as pretty much all the things they have added were only half done and had problems.

The only thing which semi decently worked was the addition of the assualt and encoutner mode. It has its flaws but assault acutally offers a somewhat different gameplay compared to standard. Yet Wargaming is unwilling to advance this mode, even though that should not really cost them much.

Well if you have a closer look at whatever they launched during the years all these modes of a stale taste to them. Might that be because they all feel like pay2win modes. And with that I mean that its not working out as long as you dont throw money at your screen?

Maybe WG needs to finally come down from their horse and realize that if something ever is supposed to be fun and working it IS GOING TO LOSE THEM MONEY IN THE BEGINNING. Only later it will compensate. Thats textbook economy. Anything new will in the beginning cost you more that it will make you. However in the long run that will turn around.

Maybe just maybe they need to realize that first. Expecting a new mode which many and more consider just another credit sink isnt ever going to work. Randoms also worked because for the longest of times anyone, paying customer or not, could enjoyable play them. Ofc it was a bit more for a hussle for the free2play crowed but it worked.

These days?

Not to much any more....

View PostKillingJoker, on 14 October 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

If people could pick grand battles mode then everyone would be playing the FV 4005 and the FV 215 183

i have been using the test server in the last days and mostly only tier X there, basicly everyone plays tier X, and every 2 or 3 games you get a grand battle

its actually quite easy to get into a grand battle...

So easy in fact, that you see on every match 4 or 5 FV 4005's and deathstars... swedish Td's, its a camp fest...

i had a game where i was testing the E50 M, and i basicly cleaned up a flank alone, my team was winning by 20 or 25% and no one wanted to move to help me push

because they were  TD's... so i had to fall back... and we managed to not win that game because the enemy was camping with's in front of their base, and no one on my team wanted to push...

so i dont think it would be healthy for the game if they could pick up a grand battle mode, becuase they would pick up tank destroyers with big guns just for the camping...

perhpas WG should do more 2 or 3 big maps, before that. 

Thats not fault of the TDs, or players, well to an extend fault of the balance as its quit obvious that these tanks are more attractive than others. Also in the end its the testserver. That server always had weird habits surfacing, such as TD spam.

However the reason for all of that could be seen in the extremly poor mapdesign. If camping behind the cap circle with a big fat TD would not work, and some use of the wsad keys would need to be applied to have the chance of a good game TDs would not be so dominant.

Well in the end I dont know a single good player who still plays that mode due to the poor mapdesign. Not only is it toxic for the gameplay it just simply does not offer anything new. Its the same old same old. So why bother with it in the first place?!

Edited by WunderWurst, 14 October 2017 - 07:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users