is my laptop ruined?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

lorre11 #1 Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4892 battles
hey there

I'm having a bit of a problem here with my laptop, and I hoped someone of you would know what might be wrong with it, before I bring it in for repairs.
These are it's symptoms.

1) sudden lag (it's really bad, can't watch a full movie because of it) in sound an vision on any video/ game/ graphic application I execute.
2) Slow working
3) slow USB/ HDD to desktop/ ... data transfer (max 3.5 mb/sec)
4) Hard time finding some/ most usb devices
5) ...

Did I destroy my mobo or am I working on a single core?
I'm currently using a 330m processor a crappy integrated intel graphics solution and have 4 gigs of ram.

I realize this is a bit of an annoying post sorry for that, but any serious input will be greatly appreciated.

blownfuse #2 Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3804 battles
In windows "work list" (ctrl+alt+delete), you can see how your cores are working, Ram too.

Otherwise, when did you last give your laptop a good spring-cleaning ?  Very likely that your HDD is filled with snips and snaps of old data, shortcuts to long deleted files and so on....You should format your HDD at least once a year, and make a fresh windows install. But it´s some job, if you don´t make regular backups, of the data you wanna keep.

lorre11 #3 Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4892 battles

View Postblownfuse, on 11 November 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

In windows "work list" (ctrl+alt+delete), you can see how your cores are working, Ram too.

Otherwise, when did you last give your laptop a good spring-cleaning ?  Very likely that your HDD is filled with snips and snaps of old data, shortcuts to long deleted files and so on....You should re-format your computer at least once a year. But it´s some job, if you don´t make regular backups, of the data you wanna keep.

100% most of the time :) that's why I thought it might be the cpu.
However I have reorganized my PC lately, yet that didn't remove the lag, just made the computer work a bit faster.
Didn't format it though.

edit: currently using 2.2 Gigs of ram just running mozilla firefox with two tabs.

chaosuk83 #4 Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

Private

• Veteran
  • 224 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

View Postblownfuse, on 11 November 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

Otherwise, when did you last give your laptop a good spring-cleaning ?  Very likely that your HDD is filled with snips and snaps of old data, shortcuts to long deleted files and so on....You should format your HDD at least once a year, and make a fresh windows install. But it´s some job, if you don´t make regular backups, of the data you wanna keep.

Virus scan (with a GOOD scanner - not something like Norton) I suggest Eset Nod, or avast for good free ones.

Also run CCleaner, and a spyware scan.

See how that helps. if not then it might be worth looking in the bios to see if it gives info on how hot your system is running

lorre11 #5 Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4892 battles

View Postchaosuk83, on 11 November 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

Virus scan (with a GOOD scanner - not something like Norton) I suggest Eset Nod, or avast for good free ones.

Also run CCleaner, and a spyware scan.

See how that helps. if not then it might be worth looking in the bios to see if it gives info on how hot your system is running

No virusses, no spyware, and system is quite a bit hotter than it used to run, but not that hot it should be able to damage the core though.(65 C I think it was last time) I'm using CCleaner on a regular basis.

Hardass #6 Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 35373 battles
forget cc cleaner its not that through any more

1 boot into safe mode with networking

2 download and run malwarebytes

3 re boot into safemode with networking again

4 download and run superantispywear (all one word)

5 if you have norton avg avast get it out of your system and then download and run the matching removal tool

6 downlaod and install microsoft secuity essentials

7 download and run auslogics disk defrag

result a laptop thats alot smother running i guarentee it

WoTDaFoCh #7 Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 22925 battles
maybe ram is damaged....try a memory test

lorre11 #8 Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4892 battles

View PostHardass, on 11 November 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

forget cc cleaner its not that through any more

1 boot into safe mode with networking

2 download and run malwarebytes

3 re boot into safemode with networking again

4 download and run superantispywear (all one word)

5 if you have norton avg avast get it out of your system and then download and run the matching removal tool

6 downlaod and install microsoft secuity essentials

7 download and run auslogics disk defrag

result a laptop thats alot smother running i guarentee it

well, I'm not planning to, as my parents paid for norton so I'm sure as hell not going to delete it :P
I might do some of the other things you mentioned however, I think what's going on could be a hardware problem as my HDD really isn't that full.
Ty for your advice though

Hardass #9 Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 35373 battles

View Postlorre11, on 11 November 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

well, I'm not planning to, as my parents paid for norton so I'm sure as hell not going to delete it :P
I might do some of the other things you mentioned however, I think what's going on could be a hardware problem as my HDD really isn't that full.
Ty for your advice though

trust me norton is the bigest fail AV software out there follow then plan i set out and you will see a marked difference i promise

Dangi #10 Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13896 battles
That really sounds like a virus.

And if antivirus does not solve anything try to format.

By the way how is your graphic card ?? A half dead graphic card can cause general failure, most laptops have problems there due to the heat not being disipased correctly.

lorre11 #11 Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 4892 battles

View PostDangi, on 11 November 2011 - 07:03 PM, said:

That really sounds like a virus.

And if antivirus does not solve anything try to format.

By the way how is your graphic card ?? A half dead graphic card can cause general failure, most laptops have problems there due to the heat not being disipased correctly.

Intel integrated graphics, I think that means that when I've nuked my gpu I've fried my CPU too. Does it?
It might be that what's causing the problem.

Dangi #12 Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13896 battles

View Postlorre11, on 11 November 2011 - 07:07 PM, said:

Intel integrated graphics, I think that means that when I've nuked my gpu I've fried my CPU too. Does it?
It might be that what's causing the problem.
Have you heard of that error that the XBOX360 had ?? The 3 red lights ?? That's what uses to happen when you use a laptop to play. The GPU heats and 'cause the cooling is so bad the weldings ( ¿? ) loosen.

Try to install it's utilities and see if there is some kind monitor that shows you it's temperature.

Better pray is not the GPU 'cause repairing it most times is not worth, reballing is quite expensive

BrutalAttack #13 Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 678 battles
time for a desktop pc  :Smile-izmena:

Homer_J #14 Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Field Marshal

• 33364 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Forget all the software solutions, 99% certain your heat sink is full of dust.  Causing it to overheat and clock the processor back to stop it frying.

It will mean taking the cover off the bottom to get to it but a good clean out will fix it up.

Dangi #15 Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13896 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 12 November 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

Forget all the software solutions, 99% certain your heat sink is full of dust.  Causing it to overheat and clock the processor back to stop it frying.

It will mean taking the cover off the bottom to get to it but a good clean out will fix it up.

That will work if his GPU is not half dead yet.

Also if by cleaning the dust works properly, you should buy a laptop cooler to improve it's lifetime, better cooling more time working at huge loads without breaking.

Homer_J #16 Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

Field Marshal

• 33364 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Or stop using it on the bed. ;)

Willemp159 #17 Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6852 battles
Maybe you should check if cmd is running.
I had it sometimes on laptop and it used a lot of processing power.

Marlekin #18 Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:15 AM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 33545 battles
Lorre,

I see a familiarity with your laptop and (older/used) ones I come across at work. I would suggest you do a hard drive test. A failing drive can cause sudden lag and overall slowness. The program needed for this depends on the hardware manufacturer of the hard drive itself.
For Seagate drives you need seatools, Samsung uses HUTIL, Hitachi can be tested with Seatools aswell. (Almost same original hardware). Be carefull as programs like HUTIL can also be used to wipe a drive clean. HUTIL is usually started from a bootable CD. Simply use the ISO file and burn it onto a CD.

Seatools:
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

HUTIL:
http://majorgeeks.co...018ac746f580e60

Dont get me wrong,
Im not writing all this down because I like my fingers touching my keyboard. I've simply seen plenty of people already who got the bad news that their hard drive was too messed up to recover files. If they came earlier, their files couldhve been saved. Documents, emails, pictures and other memories have gone lost this way. This, and also because a normal person never makes correct backups, makes a drive test now and then worth your time.

helli #19 Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2333 battles
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It's a project of a bootable CD Image with lots of useful tools, especially for hardware diagnostics.

For People interested in such things there is also a different projekt at http://www.ubcd4win.com/ that combines this with a Windows PE environmet (For example that remote registry editor on it has saved me so many hours of work it's not even funny anymore XD).

Download it, burn it to a cd and then boot from it. You might have to change your boot device order in your BIOS if the optical drive isn't ahead of your HDD.

I recommend to run HDAT2 and/or the manufacturer specific disk test and one or two of the memory test (like Memtext86). For the disk tests to work you sometimes have to change your SATA mode from AHCI to native/ide/legacy mode (depends on your BIOS how it's called), of course only if you have AHCI capabillity :).

You can of course explore it's other contents and go on a mad testing spree, it's not like more tests can hurt much, just be careful around those numerous wiping/formating tools ;).

After all of that is done and depending on the test results post back here and we look further for other posibillities.

Good luck

PadyEos #20 Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 14600 battles
Take my word for it, you are well passed the stage of scanning with an AV, the only way to make it work like new again is a complete OS reinstall, AV are crap at getting rid of viruses once they have already spread extensively through your system. Hope you have a copy of Windows around...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users