HD maps : Why they will not improve the game. Discuss

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34798 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3

so having played on the sandbox server I have to say the maps do look stunning but having been back on live server playing i am beginning to wonder if they will they make any real difference to the game?

1-  the only map that has really been changed is Steppes, and that they have made much much worse, the changes were universally hated in the sandbox forum comments

2-  maps like mountain pass and abbey are still bad maps, they look great but are still corridor trash, worse they have so much wasted space, on abbey the 9 and 0 lines could be removed, move the road to the 0 line and you can add 20% play area to 4 line town area, or 7 line road area or add 10% to each area, or other ideas.  Same on mountain pass, the entire a0 corner is still dead space.  If WG do not address theactual map balance and mechanics then there is no improvement in the game and its a  huge missed opportunity

in essence they have not improved bad maps and have ruined one of the best maps in the game

3-  arty still in game, as long as its in game its still ruining the game

4-  in the sandbox the MM had no balance, quite a few games were all meds vs all heavies and in every game the heavies won easily.  obviously the live server MM has modifications but it emphasised how the games mechanics still need better balancing instead of bodge work arounds

5-  amazingly to me even in a sandbox not important test the maps environment players on Malinovka, cliff 0 line, prok 1/2 lines still sat there and camped all game.  it was staggering but also revealing, players who wont or are afraid play a game will still be an issue

6-  will WG actually even listen to the feedback they received their previous history suggests not

edit  7-  players with next to no games in tier 8 premiums

Now let me say again, the maps are stunning and I am playing devils advocate a bit here but I was genuinely disappointed that maps like abbey, mountain pass and others with issues were not reworked whilst WG had the chance

so any thoughts?

Edited by _Anarchistic_, 19 October 2017 - 02:46 AM.

xtram3x #2 Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30710 battles

I understand your point.

The sandbox looked really nice but the gameplay was the same. If you are getting fed up now you'll still get fed up playing on the HD maps.

Also, for the first few weeks you'll get random bobs firing their gun for no reason to see the effects and swanning off in ridiculous areas to investigate the pixel landscape.

And lastly, arty still exists. I never used to mind it, even enjoyed playing it. But since the stun mechanic started I have sold my arties & joined the mob shaking their pitchforks.

ZlatanArKung #3 Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
I didn't expect HD maps to improve anything from a gameplay point of view.

Just to bad they managed to ruin Steppes with the HD rework.

Junglist_ #4 Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35127 battles
They do look stunning but apart from some more arty cover they are indeed the same corridor shitfest. And it wouldn't be WG if instead of improving something when they have a chance they go ahead and ruin one of the best maps.

_Anarchistic_ #5 Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34798 battles
  • [SKIL3] SKIL3

View PostZlatanArKung, on 19 October 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

View PostZlatanArKung, on 19 October 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

​I was hoping WG take the chance to sort out some balancing issues, seems a waste of time and effort not to do the job properly

Hamsterkicker #6 Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 31910 battles
  • [TEAMB] TEAMB

It is a bit like, will the upcoming COD WWII be better than the "ancient" COD1..  I don't think so.. Eyecandy is nice for the immersion maybe but in the end it is the same game with the same mechanics.

Aikl #7 Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
WG being overall silent on actual map changes is probably bad news.

Not a particular fan of the HD craze. It's probably good for the game, but the end result is over a year with literally nothing new in terms of maps. It's beyond stupid - and that's even before we consider that the current maps are kinda bad to begin with. Doing jack to fix the whole basecamping-meta tells me enough to think twice about further investing in the game.

WG buffing the Chinese meds is only helping partially.

ZlatanArKung #8 Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles

View PostJunglist_, on 19 October 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

They do look stunning but apart from some more arty cover they are indeed the same corridor shitfest. And it wouldn't be WG if instead of improving something when they have a chance they go ahead and ruin one of the best maps.

Meh, more arty cover is bad aswell. Just promotes a corridor fighting style in most cases.

zikkon #9 Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35387 battles
  • [ZIGI] ZIGI
I already like the game (after all I came back to it after almost half a year hiatus) so anything that makes it look better (and imho HD maps make it look a LOT better) is just a nice addition to an already fine game.

Junglist_ #10 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35127 battles

View PostZlatanArKung, on 19 October 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

Meh, more arty cover is bad aswell. Just promotes a corridor fighting style in most cases.

I did like the ruins on El Halluf by the heavy corner area where mediums usually fight that didnt seem too bad

Enforcer1975 #11 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

General

• Player
  • 18334 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostJunglist_, on 19 October 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

I did like the ruins on El Halluf by the heavy corner area where mediums usually fight that didnt seem too bad

They have added new stuff there?

Haven't been there in all the games i played on sandbox since that corner is mainly a campfest anyway, have to check when it's online again. I usually went to push the east flanks or down the middle. 

Junglist_ #12 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35127 battles

View PostEnforcer1975, on 19 October 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

They have added new stuff there?

Haven't been there in all the games i played on sandbox since that corner is mainly a campfest anyway, have to check when it's online again. I usually went to push the east flanks or down the middle. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/8wtoz

Homer_J #13 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27001 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 19 October 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

so having played on the sandbox server I have to say the maps do look stunning but having been back on live server playing i am beginning to wonder if they will they make any real difference to the game?

Yes.

New players with decent gaming PCs don't want 1990's graphics, they expect some polish.  More players = more payers = longer life for the game.

BTW Steppes is a corridor map, you have one corridor down each side and one half useable one in the middle and the rest is pointless death zone.  Not that there is anything wrong with corridor maps as far as I am concerned.

spuriousmonkey #14 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 42855 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I am happy with every change that doesn't make the game worse.

Iscoed1815 #15 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12756 battles
  • [WDRGN] WDRGN
I've only seen the youtube videos from Jingles, QB etc, but the first thing that struck me was they seemed to have removed more bushes from where they're actually needed, and added more trees into the woods, which are totally useless.  They also seemed to have flattened out some of the more open ground, making light tanks even harder to play.  This could of course just be my perception.

RaptorAbt #16 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Clan Commander
  • 40252 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF
Agree truely stunning new eye candy (water motion, wet tanks), but it is a shame a significant number of machines will struggle with the HD version and it will have Nil impact on making game play better!

Phobos4321 #17 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 42794 battles

oh its him again  and this topic is almost dumber than the last

why would a map HD change remove arty ?

why should a HD map change influence MM ?

why would a map HD change influence someones playstyle ?

also having played SB you could have noticed  it had user numbers about 3k  do you expect the mm to be able to work to its fullest with such limitations ?

there is stuff you might expect and stuff you shouldnt   your points are mostly about the shouldnt

i mean its simple   its a HD make over so its for the players to be able to compare before with after  so the maps should be still "recognizable"  limiting the possible changes

xtram3x #18 Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30710 battles

View PostRaptorAbt, on 19 October 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

Agree truely stunning new eye candy (water motion, wet tanks), but it is a shame a significant number of machines will struggle with the HD version and it will have Nil impact on making game play better!

Where have people said their machines struggle?

From my own experience and from all the feedback there is no difference in performance. It can still run on Intel integrated graphics from over 5 years ago and people using those kinds of PCs should be buying consoles anyway, not playing PC games.

Clean #19 Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 38785 battles
  • [FIFO] FIFO

I agree with OP comments in particular arty and corridors.

I filled out a survey during the Sandbox and told them that maps looked excellent but were still the broken corridor reskins.

Ilknur_Ibryam #20 Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10926 battles
They are investing their money at the wrong place. Obviously they are thinking that better looking maps will get new players, but most new players quit due to how awfully balanced the game is. It is fun up until level 5, but even at that period there are some imba tanks which are not possible to pen and can make a new player easily quit. Even when they pass the tier 5 they will meet the +-2 tier MM and corridor maps where they will be unable to pen stuff again. So there is no point in doing the HD, before fixing the tanks and the corridors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users