Do you play/keep tanks that you don't like? Why?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

PowJay #1 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35446 battles

There are a heck of a lot of vehicles in this game, and I am sure that even the most skilled players must struggle with some, but you might still keep them. Is there a good solid reason? or are you just stubborn?

I am actively playing the KV-3 at the moment. I never thought I would like it, and if I am honest: I don't. I did not like the IS, with it's choice of guns and their pathetic 175mm penetration, but at least it had mobility. I sold it at the end of the grind with 50% WR, never to be seen again. Same guns, and a totally different platform and I currently have 55% WR from 192 battles, despite making it Elite quite some time ago.

I have several issues with it. Mobility has to be the number one. In a fast battle, I am too slow to keep up the pressure and end the battle with relatively low HP/kills relative to my potential, or it's fast the other way and I can't relocate or run away and end up dead. It takes a battle of reasonable pace to realise the potential of the vehicle. Add to that the epic penetration of the guns and the number of battles at tier VIII and IX, and my usefulness is further reduced. To make a point about mobility: I was out-turned by a Jagdtiger the other day. FFS!

My main reason for playing it at the moment is to get 6th Sense and other first skills complete. Then I have a useful crew to put in another vehicle. The thing is, I don't want another vehicle. I do not want to continue up this line and so I have a choice: mothball it, or sell it just because I can. Meanwhile, I would sell it in a heartbeat if it hit 50% WR, but it continues to win, despite pretty unremarkable performance. I have got 72% MoE, but to me, that just reflects the (probably) low popularity of this vehicle.

Another reason to keep it is for Personal Missions. This is one HT that quite possibly has a chance to bounce enough shots for some of the missions.

Another vehicle which I have kept, but which absolutely refuses to drop to 50% WR is the Type 58. It is such a Meh! tank, but despite several runs of bad games it refuses to drop to 50% WR (although it is VERY close). The crew are now valuable, having gained first skills/perk, so it could be time to move on, but I am not keen to continue the Chinese line. As you can imagine, I am not looking forward to the IS-2, and I don't want more LTs at the moment, so that leaves the Medium line which, to be quite frank, I can't be bothered with. So it is on with the Type 58 until it gets to 50%. It can't be long now, but I have been thinking that for months.

There are iconic tanks (Tiger I), which I can't see myself ever selling, and tanks that are supremely useful for PMs and other missions (KV-2), and then there are the higher tiers that are useful for damage missions, but all in all, I have a number of vehicles which I don't really like or look forward to playing but which are still in my garage.

I know that a number of you like to Ace a tank, and/or get 3 MoE before you sell it, but (other than for grinding the following vehicles) what are you reasons for hanging on to and playing vehicles that you simply don't enjoy?

DuncaN_101 #2 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53226 battles
  • [-B-C-] -B-C-
I have no tanks In my garage that I don't like except for the batchat and the e5.
But since those are T-10s I won't sell them.

Hammerhead20 #3 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25370 battles

I've never keep tanks which I don't like.

Why? Because, I don't like them...

japtank #4 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27619 battles

My son doesn't want me to sell any tier X and since he's now taller and stronger than me, I abide.

Otherwise I'd sell a few in a heartbeat, the first being our current TotT the T110E3, next the Type 5 and so on.

RaptorAbt #5 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Clan Commander
  • 40993 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF
A few that I could not wait to "Elite" and then sell immediately (eg Churchill VII) - as mentioned "why keep something you don't like" or would play again ?

HM_Kaiser #6 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26463 battles
I'm always VERY happy to sell a tank I did not like.

Dava_117 #7 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 19480 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I have to keep Cromwell and IS-3 even if I don't like them.

The reason is that my clan require them, so I had to grind both... painfull grind, especially IS-3 line. At least Covenanter is fun to play (a keeper for me).

Havenless #8 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 454 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

For the most part I depart from the tanks I dislike. A few remain in the garage(like FCM 50t) that have become borderline unplayable but that I am keeping because it is a PMM tank and there is a fair chance of it being buffed into a decent tank at some point. IS-4 is remaining in the garage because apparently WG are considering buffing/replacing it. Selling it at this point would be kind of stupid despite the tank itself being useless right now.

AMX 30B is in garage for now but I might sell it again. First it was terrible, I sold it. Then when a seemingly big buff was promised I re-bought it on discount, and after the buff played it for a few games and decided that I much prefer the M48 with its fast shell speed and decent standard pen. I will probably give it another go at some point before deciding to sell it again.

I re-bought WZ-111 1-4 during the recent TOTT promotion with the plans of 5xing it or grinding the new tier 10 WZ at some point. I never really liked the tank though, it always felt like a bad T-10 for me. It's remaining for now but God knows whether I'll ever finish the grind.

As you can see there are a few tanks in my garage I don't like. Tanks like tier 8 mediums(including premiums) are long gone, except for the Lorraine. They had no potential to be buffed to a decent level. I don't have any tier 5 tanks in my garage, and the only tier 6 I have is Type 64. If I keep tanks in my garage that I don't like, they all have a reason.

Edited by Havenless, 19 October 2017 - 10:47 AM.

Bennie182 #9 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53710 battles
  • [WGL-A] WGL-A
I don't see why you would keep a tank you don't like and don't perform well in, even for a clan (which I won't be joining). I keep my TigerII, while clans want you to have an IS3. I play a lot better in it and it is good to outplay people in team battles =D

Mimos_A #10 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24177 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L
Some because the next tank in the line is not great and I can't be bothered spending credits on it right not (t34/100, t29). Others because I want to ace them before selling them.

Coldspell #11 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 19394 battles
I have a few prems I keep even though I don't like them simply because there are no alternative crew trainers.

K_A #12 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13641 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I don't sell premiums or reward tanks or tier 10's (not that I have many tier 10's yet..) Other than that I have a couple tanks that I keep that I don't particularly like anymore but that were great tanks at one time. Also bad tanks might lead to (hopefully) better tanks so that's always a reason to play them. 

Quintuss #13 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26590 battles
  • [DIVA_] DIVA_

I play tanks till they are Elite as having every tank elited is a personal goal, but i only keep tier 10 and those that either see CW/SH-use or that i really like. With the current MM the number of keepers went down massively though.

Most of the tanks i don't really like (Artys, ....) only get played for daily wins or when there is a special reason (personal mission, ingame special,...)

TungstenHitman #14 Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 22178 battles

Yes but not many and they are only kept if I feel there is a genuine need to do so. 

1. Like most players, tanks just to grind another tank, then sell, although in the case of the Panther2 I just sold it, tried to grind out the E50 but just couldn't take it any more, was THAT annoying.

2. I keep tanks I don't particularly like if they are excellent at filling a role requirement that results in big gains. What I mean by this is "marathon" tanks I call them, they might have monstrous alpha or a really high kill ratio or for example, I have a Nashorn, don't really like it much, never use it normally BUT, there was a Christmas mission you may remember to earn a blue or purple box can't remember but you would get 5 200% xp buffs or some really great prize and the requirement was to do 3 times your own hp in 1 battle and be of tier6 or higher, so the Nashorn picked off that requirement with ease, low hp, big boom stick, camp like a pro lol. So I have a few tanks I keep that I don't like just for fulfilling certain missions and marathon requirements.

3. If I hear there is a big buff coming and it's a tank I don't like that may soon be very good, I'll keep it and see how it is after. 

Ah I almost forgot.

I also keep the stuglv pm tank and the free Pilot, don't like either. I keep the StuglV since it's a mission tank, may at some stage get a buff or tweak but mostly because I simply will NEVER be able to get it again, so, it's just nice. I keep the Pilot since I don't actually have many premium tanks, actually it's just the Pilot and the T34M, both free marathon tanks and I would like to think at some stage, if I have some free time to commit to this game i.e. a few boring days over the Christmas holiday or whatever, that I will take on the Pilot and use it to good effect

Spurtung #15 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 63733 battles
  • [GW-UP] GW-UP

I'm keeping all tier 8-10, regardless of quality. There may be changes in lines in the future and I don't want to be buying them again just for that, not to mention they might get buffed and I can then play the FOTM.

Besides, if I have garage slots and didn't need to sell them for credits before advancing their lines, why bother.

Balc0ra #16 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66286 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Not many. Most I've kept around for missions if they are handy for those. Most tier X's I've kept around, even if I don't like it. If I really don't like anything that tier 9 and lower, and I see no reason to keep it. Then it's gone, regardless if I've aced it or not. If they buff it later, I'll might buy it back.

Only tank I hate atm that I've kept around on tier 9 or lower is the SP 1C. As it became rather useless after the nerf. 

Gift tanks like the low tier premiums I've kept around, regardless if I like them or hate them. Same with Marathon rewards etc.

Edited by Balc0ra, 19 October 2017 - 11:18 AM.

spuriousmonkey #17 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 44272 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Good question.

I guess I could get rid of all tanks except the mighty PTA and the amx 13 57f.

Captain_Kremen0 #18 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37279 battles

View PostMimos_A, on 19 October 2017 - 09:49 AM, said:

Some because the next tank in the line is not great and I can't be bothered spending credits on it right not (t34/100, t29). Others because I want to ace them before selling them.

^^This. I'm knocking around in a lot of tier 7's because tier 8 and some of the tanks they lead to are so uninspiring (T32 anyone) or in the case of T34-100 because i kinda like it even though its pants.

Tiger P for the grind. As soon as i've unlocked the other tier 8 the crews going straight back in Tiger 1 where they might actually HIT something.

Baldrickk #19 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30124 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-
Play: grinding to tanks I want
Keep: not run out of garage slots yet and they make good temporary barracks slots.

Edited by Baldrickk, 19 October 2017 - 11:22 AM.

adameitas #20 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 63241 battles
well yes. if they are historical (like tigers or panthers) or unique (like kv-2, hetzer). Also there are tanks i buy - curse - sell. After like half year i buy it again-curse-sell. it happened why too many times with damned t-54.. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users