dont get used to good things

realism sound interface guns

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Tomotorqemada #1 Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16294 battles

Less of  a question, rather a side comment on an interesting issue.
Since quite some time roaming across the WOT web I stubled over a soundpack - realistic gun sounds. Trying it was OK - everything started sounding really convincing, besides really HEARING the battlefield turned out to be quite helpful, not only enjoyable.

Now as the new (and as usual - user-unfriendly gameplay-screwing) is out, naturally it means another day wasted on readjusting your settings, redownloading and reinstalling your interface until you got it back fully intact, and among the mods that takes some time to adopt to the new patch is exactly the realistic soundpack. The funny observation - an attempt to play with default sounds is now hardly conceivable, those toy-dolly sounds can really just make one laugh and swear. So, if you found something good  - dont get used to it, life would be hard without it otherwise.

But still there is a question - how do you think, tankers, why do WG use such strange funny sounds? Not that I could assess all of them, but my STRVs1 sounds just like my Steyr LG 110 HP pneumatic rifle... Is that some performance limitations? But I have a really really average laptop for WOT, and those sounds worked out perfectly..

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29179 battles
I've always wondered how WG manage to so comprehensively break every mod with each micropatch. It's almost a talent.

Thejagdpanther #3 Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34547 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS
When you go gnomefather you can't go back.

Jigabachi #4 Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTomotorqemada, on 19 October 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

But still there is a question - how do you think, tankers, why do WG use such strange funny sounds? 

Comment in-quote because the forum hurrdurr'ed up my post again - for the second time:

Well. How many players do you think have ever seen a real tank, let alone a working one with its characteristic sound?

Edited by Jigabachi, 19 October 2017 - 02:46 PM.

Mimos_A #5 Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24038 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

Less of  a question, rather a side comment on an interesting issue.
Since quite some time roaming across the WOT web I stubled over a soundpack - realistic gun sounds. Trying it was OK - everything started sounding really convincing, besides really HEARING the battlefield turned out to be quite helpful, not only enjoyable.

Now as the new (and as usual - user-unfriendly gameplay-screwing) is out, naturally it means another day wasted on readjusting your settings, redownloading and reinstalling your interface until you got it back fully intact, and among the mods that takes some time to adopt to the new patch is exactly the realistic soundpack. The funny observation - an attempt to play with default sounds is now hardly conceivable, those toy-dolly sounds can really just make one laugh and swear. So, if you found something good  - dont get used to it, life would be hard without it otherwise.

But still there is a question - how do you think, tankers, why do WG use such strange funny sounds? Not that I could assess all of them, but my STRVs1 sounds just like my Steyr LG 110 HP pneumatic rifle... Is that some performance limitations? But I have a really really average laptop for WOT, and those sounds worked out perfectly..

I think they once made a video about how they actually recorded the gun sounds from tanks that still existed in a working fashion. After watching that I was even more baffled how they could make guns sound like garbage.

Especially the 90mm guns sound like someone is clanging tin cans together, it's horrible.

Browarszky #6 Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16096 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L
Seems I have it easy, if I even tried some realistic sounds for WoT, my neighbor would turn up blue-faced banging on the door in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

Baldrickk #7 Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30109 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostJigabachi, on 19 October 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

But still there is a question - how do you think, tankers, why do WG use such strange funny sounds? 

Well. How many players do you think have ever seen a real tank, let alone a working one with its characteristic sound?

Not all that many I would suspect. 

At least, not the historical armour. 

Gnomefathers at al take their sounds from movies and so on.

Why does this sound "better"?

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealityIsUnrealistic

If you are not particularly satisfied with the wot default sounds, I recommend a decent speaker system with an active subwoofer, and liberal application of the volume knob.

Tomotorqemada #8 Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16294 battles

View PostBrowarszky, on 19 October 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

Seems I have it easy, if I even tried some realistic sounds for WoT, my neighbor would turn up blue-faced banging on the door in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

This one, yes - having a good sound system together with that soundpack turns your neighbourhood into a warzone. But luckily the windows of my cabinet face my garden, and the only neighbour on that side is some 100m from me and is an opera singer, thus quite sound-tolerant. To compensate for that the lounge windows where I play piano also face the garden, lols.

Tomotorqemada #9 Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16294 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 19 October 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

If you are not particularly satisfied with the wot default sounds, I recommend a decent speaker system with an active subwoofer, and liberal application of the volume knob.

Checked and checked. Making bad sounds lounder does not make them good.
As to the Jigabachi's question - well, probably not too many nowadays, just the ones who visit tank museums. But regular military service is still something that people do normally, no? Maybe it's my Swiss/Russian perspective, but I'd expect a man after his 20 to be acquainted with basic military equipment etc. But tell me, does the user' illiteracy (rudely spoken) somehow excuse or justify the use of lame sounds? Then why not just substituting with a dog fart sound - whis would have sent the sales skyrocketing! I'm not asking why they just use something bad and do not make EFFORT for IMPROVEMENT - this would have been way too much to ask of WG, o'cos. I'm asking - why not taking a ready-to-go product that has already been created by some caring, capable, understanding people - and just using it, at least as an optional package. That would have been a freebie, so WG must dig for it. Why not?

PS rereading my post I realized that I'm really SCARED to suppose how many of the WOT players are actually over 20...
PPS or even 15...
PPPS maybe that's the reason? They don wana traumatize the child' psyche?..

Snake_Keeper #10 Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8964 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 19 October 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Gnomefathers at al take their sounds from movies and so on.

Why does this sound "better"?

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealityIsUnrealistic

https://www.youtube....h?v=Oqm4gunNTFo

Doesn't sound anything like the WoT sound, does it? And that is with a blank.

Neither does the Tiger engine sound:

https://www.youtube....h?v=dXP0QhbBDC8

or Stug III.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-j7fiVdKeXo

Listen to the Pz. IV

https://www.youtube....h?v=Pw_liQzsLT4

Plenty of more engine sound, and firing sound videos on youtube. Mind you, some do contain tanks with truck engines placed in cause the original couldn't be fixed/recovered etc.

Edited by Snake_Keeper, 19 October 2017 - 03:54 PM.

THE_JACK_OF_HEARTS #11 Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9513 battles
hello OP there is a thing called headphones, google it ?? ...

Jigabachi #12 Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 17923 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostTomotorqemada, on 19 October 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

But regular military service is still something that people do normally, no? Maybe it's my Swiss/Russian perspective, but I'd expect a man after his 20 to be acquainted with basic military equipment etc. 

That is, fortunately, a thing of the past. Many European countries stopped forced military service many years ago. And you always had the chance to pick some social activities instead of it, anyway.

Block Quote

But tell me, does the user' illiteracy (rudely spoken) somehow excuse or justify the use of lame sounds? 

Well. It's an arcade game, not a simulator, so I wouldn't expect anything exceptional. To me, the sounds are good enough, especially since there are many WAY more important things to fix first.

Block Quote

I'm asking - why not taking a ready-to-go product that has already been created by some caring, capable, understanding people - and just using it, at least as an optional package. That would have been a freebie, so WG must dig for it. Why not?

Actually, that's something I don't understand, either. Many devs make good use of the modders' efforts, others simply say "Want to have that in the game? Use the mod then."

It's one of the major reasons why I'm so overly disappointed by Minecraft. Modders made it big while the devs merely added a new object every now and then...

Baldrickk #13 Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30109 battles
  • [-TAH-] -TAH-

View PostSnake_Keeper, on 19 October 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Oqm4gunNTFo

Doesn't sound anything like the WoT sound, does it? And that is with a blank.

Neither does the Tiger engine sound:

https://www.youtube....h?v=dXP0QhbBDC8

or Stug III.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-j7fiVdKeXo

Listen to the Pz. IV

https://www.youtube....h?v=Pw_liQzsLT4

Plenty of more engine sound, and firing sound videos on youtube. Mind you, some do contain tanks with truck engines placed in cause the original couldn't be fixed/recovered etc.

Have you noticed how gunfire taken with almost any consumer microphone sounds different? 

They get oversaturated.

Browarszky #14 Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:54 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16096 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View PostTomotorqemada, on 19 October 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

But regular military service is still something that people do normally, no? Maybe it's my Swiss/Russian perspective, but I'd expect a man after his 20 to be acquainted with basic military equipment etc.

Well in Britain the national service was terminated years ago. I suppose most other countries in Europe still have their equivalent form of draft service. Actually, about the national service, our neighbor's son was due to do his national service but as he was living abroad the British Army told him he wouldn't have to come but he certainly could come and join up but he'd have to pay his own fare back to Britain. AFAIK he never bothered to do that...

Mimos_A #15 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:59 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24038 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View PostTomotorqemada, on 19 October 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

As to the Jigabachi's question - well, probably not too many nowadays, just the ones who visit tank museums. But regular military service is still something that people do normally, no? Maybe it's my Swiss/Russian perspective, but I'd expect a man after his 20 to be acquainted with basic military equipment etc. But tell me, does the user' illiteracy (rudely spoken) somehow excuse or justify the use of lame sounds?

Most European countries realised having well-paid and trained professional soldiers are a lot more useful than spending money and time on a bunch of rabble that ends up getting too little training to be really useful if crap hits the fan.

Snake_Keeper #16 Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:31 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8964 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 19 October 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

Have you noticed how gunfire taken with almost any consumer microphone sounds different? 

They get oversaturated.

You can start proving how the WG sounds are somehow magically realistic, and those youtube videos are oversaturated now. I somewhat doubt that especially for the engine sound videos you can find that. Some of those videos on youtube were filmed with professional quality cameras. Do you go calling news networks that their broadcasts are 'oversaturated'?

There are multiple videos, of the same tanks. All filmed with differing quality cameras. You know what they have in common? That the sounds sound similar, only large difference being the sound quality. This is not 1944 anymore, microphones are not made shoddily to the point they oversaturate a sound that is filmed a good distance away from them.

See a lower quality of that Jagdpanther firing vid: https://www.youtube....h?v=Ov9UdRHoaAc

Notice...similar sound? Some things do differ to the high quality video, yes. But they are not different to the point that they could not be recognized to be of the same event. The WoT sounds cannot be recognized to be realistic when compared to youtube vids.

Edited by Snake_Keeper, 20 October 2017 - 03:48 AM.

Also tagged with realism, sound, interface, guns

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users