How to play a brawl properly

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Anxter_ #1 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26571 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

So, situation sketch: you are on a corner, heavily outnumbering the enemy in your close proximity and there's plenty of cover for the guys behind them. 

Do you:

A: sidescrape and wait for the fight to even out

B: trade like a bob and pull back to your corner

C: act yellow and wait for someone else to push

or D: get your craptogether when your team doesn't and just go?

Spoiler alert:

Now, I'm not saying yolo every corner like a dumb-[edited]and die uselessly, but with all the heavies at tier 10 currently I've noticed a slight annoyance of mine. Which is that people are far too willing to let the enemy make the mistake rather than risking some HP to initiate a push. If you are vastly outnumbering enemy tanks on a corner you should strongly consider pushing past them and just taking the hits while focusing fire. You might not trust random teams too much, for fair reasons, but even the most red players usually are able to at least click an enemy tank. Rather than trading one by one and letting your idiot teammates make stupid plays that lose them HP for no reason, instead try sometimes risking or losing some HP for a good reason to get the train going. Chances are you'll sometimes end up with a train that has no brakes and one that would make Bill Cosby both proud and envious. 

Other times you just lose lots of HP for no gain and you do nothing, but who cares about survival rating anyway? At least you tried doing something different than waiting on a stupid little corner.

Conversely, if you get stuck on a corner being spot by a single tank backed up by TDs and you are at liberty to just fall back and [edited]off somewhere else where you can be more productive, by all means do so rather than letting the enemy team maneuver past you and win the game. This happens often on karelia if the team takes south and there's no enemies there.

So to sum it up, DON'T PUSH OBVIOUS TD CORRDIROS DOOFUS and [edited]USE YOUR HP MORON.

This rant post has been brought to you by: MadMen Post-account Sharing Services LTD and Shuks' Sarcastically Salty Seamen Association.

Edited by Anxter_, 19 October 2017 - 11:58 PM.

K_A #2 Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13566 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
This is a good way to win games but unless you're really really good you won't become unicum. I've done this countless times because who has the patience to wait for the game timer to end.. :P

Slyspy #3 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14169 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I yolo'd today with a largely untouched Emil to my right, a complete undamaged O-Ni to my left against two one-shots and a two-shot today. They didn't follow and I died pointlessly. The risks of pushing an advantage is not only that you may actually not have said advantage but also that your team mates may not recognise it when you do. 

K_A #4 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:06 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13566 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSlyspy, on 19 October 2017 - 11:01 PM, said:

I yolo'd today with a largely untouched Emil to my right, a complete undamaged O-Ni to my left against two one-shots and a two-shot today. They didn't follow and I died pointlessly. The risks of pushing an advantage is not only that you may actually not have said advantage but also that your team mates may not recognise it when you do. 

Well at least you'll get a fast ticket to the next battle instead of getting increasingly frustrated at your team not doing anything.

Anxter_ #5 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:09 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26571 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostSlyspy, on 19 October 2017 - 11:01 PM, said:

Unfortunately that remains the risk and at lower tiers where people tend to be keenly unaware of their surroundings this happens more often than not.

But it saddens me that at tier 10 where most people are very happy campers if there is free damage to be done people are more than happy to sit and wait and have a worse end-result than if they'd just taken the damn hits and went. Granted, this would've worked somewhat better in a platoon and that's where the majority of these kinds of pushes are pulled off, but if you have more guns you have a massive advantage over the enemy even if you aren't on voice coms with your random teammates and getting all of them to work on the enemy is much easier if you expand your horizons past the corner you are chilling on. 

Look at it like this, at least in your case your teams' shitty plays cost you less of your valuable time. The big key to having it work out though is having cover on the far side of the enemies. It's much much more reliable to have them split their fire to different angles than it is to sit in front of them and risk being focused out yourself. At least if you can get to another safe place with less hp you are in a good position to pressure the enemy while your team boots up their brains in safe mode and catches up to what just happened.

Slyspy #6 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 14169 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostK_A, on 20 October 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

Well at least you'll get a fast ticket to the next battle instead of getting increasingly frustrated at your team not doing anything.

The annoying thing is that they still won, which suggests that I did the wrong thing. Unless my move and death (and the killing of a one-shot) actually made the winning difference. Yeah, that must be it. 

brumbarr #7 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:24 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38626 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostK_A, on 19 October 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

This is a good way to win games but unless you're really really good you won't become unicum. I've done this countless times because who has the patience to wait for the game timer to end.. :P

the key to  is doing  it at the right time and doing it well, thats why you are a unicum while doing this.

K_A #8 Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:51 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13566 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postbrumbarr, on 19 October 2017 - 11:24 PM, said:

the key to  is doing  it at the right time and doing it well, thats why you are a unicum while doing this.

I suppose I do it in the right time, then, as I'm able to win games, but I don't do it that well since I'm still not a unicum.. :child:

ZlatanArKung #9 Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 1529 battles
It is quite hard to do it at the right time, since following complex equation needs to be satisfied.

Your # tanks is >2 +enemy # tanks.
Enemy # of tanks < 4

Anxter_ #10 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26571 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostZlatanArKung, on 20 October 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

It is quite hard to do it at the right time, since following complex equation needs to be satisfied.

Your # tanks is >2 +enemy # tanks.
Enemy # of tanks < 4

So basically every time you locally outnumber the enemy team and either have the HP to take the hits or they shot and you can rush past. So hard.

Hell, often times I just initiate a push not because it's better or something, but rather because keeping track of who shot and when it's safe to poke is really easy to mess up and it's easier to take a few hits instead and having them split their fire while you burn down a few tanks instead. That and I find it extremely dull to sit on a corner and stare down enemies as well.

tajj7 #11 Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 24351 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Sadly most players, especially those in heavies, seem to want to drive to a corner, exchange HP and that is their game. Anything else is too taxing and anything that interrupts that they complain about it, like pesky mediums or lights flanking them.

It doesn't matter if said corner the enemy team has 3-4 TD waiting behind, like last night we played a game on Karelia, we pushed the heavy corridor, not much was there except a reluctant E100 who retreated as soon as he saw us. So I did a quick peak and spotted 5 tier 10 TDs, so we left and went back to base to try to defend that as it was clear most of their team pushed north. Did not stop half our team playing peek-a-boo on a corner trying to kill one E100 with 5 tier 10 TDs, where of course most of them died achieving nothing whilst we got over run at the base.

It's just a waste of time trying to do a push when you outnumber the enemy because the team 9/10 won't follow, if I do, then generally it's because I have platoon mates or because I'm on a medium flank. People in mediums seem to get that concept of pushing a flank when you outnumber the enemy but people in heavies don't.  

ExclamationMark #12 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 16679 battles

player from MM giving gameplay tips

Spoiler

Homer_J #13 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 26985 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I yolo round the corner in the sure knowledge that my comrades will join in as soon as I have the enemy distracted.

Then I die alone and with no support and return to garage in disgust.

I should know better by now.

dennez #14 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 16745 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I just unzip, carefully hang my balls out, put the VK in first gear and stop giving fks. And then die in a blaze of glory.

jugilismaani #15 Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21401 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
I am traumatized about this. Today I was with 3 full HP tanks and I had 800 HP. There was a single E100 behind a corner. The other flank was falling. I waited 30 seconds and typed about 5 nice messaged to chat about needing to do something (not sarcasm, actual nice messages with smileys). Nothing happens. So I had to push, he rolls high, I die. The 3 other tanks write how I am a noob after following me and taking out the E100 :sceptic: And naturally we lost when those 3 full HP tanks got swarmed by 10 enemies. Gotta save that HP for the late game... 

Anxter_ #16 Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 26571 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postdennez, on 20 October 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

I just unzip, carefully hang my balls out, put the VK in first gear and stop giving fks. And then die in a blaze of glory.

Accurate graphical representation of Dennez's games: 

Enforcer1975 #17 Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

General

• Player
  • 18309 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I yoloed an IS-3 with my mod.1, bounced his only shot on me, went past him to get his side / rear while a teammate in a 50 100 picked him off while he was distracted.

Sometimes all i can do is slug it out and hope the guy bounces the APCR killshot like on this one over half a year ago...and yes the guy really tracked himself trying to ram my side doing 1hp damage :trollface:

Edited by Enforcer1975, 20 October 2017 - 04:34 PM.

Aikl #18 Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 25141 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostAnxter_, on 20 October 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

Accurate graphical representation of Dennez's games: (...)

From experience it's more like this:

Or is that how the Defender plays? Hm. Time to make a GIF.

Edited by Aikl, 20 October 2017 - 04:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users